Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Taeke posted:

Yes, of course. Sorry, it was late last night after a long day, so I didn't feel up to writing more.

It's been 15 years since I saw the movie. I was 11 at the time and it terrified me (and traumatized my little sister who absolutely wanted to watch it with us.) I'm glad I put off reading until now, since I'm a bit older, more experienced and can appreciate it more.
Some sections creeped me right the gently caress out, although to a lesser extent than I had anticipated. Still, the scene (for example) when Bev revisits her childhood home was excellent, and reminded me of Pet Semetary in that you know exactly what is going to happen but you can't look away. Other parts were kind of meh, particularly towards the end. There were some segments where I couldn't help but start scanning rather than reading in the aftermath. Yeah, Derry's going to hell, but I don't particularly need to read each and every detailed death occuring. When this was discussed in the thread I was about halfway through and I thought the direct victims of It were meant, which confused me because those deaths are interesting and creepy and I loved the detail.
Also, I was kind of forewarned about the sex scene, which wasn't as bad as I'd expected but still out of place.

All in all it took me around 2 weeks to get through it, which is a good sign for such a lengthy work. I remember lying in bed around 11pm, thinking I'd just read an hour or so before sleep, and the next moment I looked at the clock it was 2:30am. So yeah, it did not disappoint and I'm kind of sad it's over. Thankfully I still have plenty of his other works to read. I think I'm going to read The Talisman next.

I finished IT maybe a week ago and I felt the exact same as you. I watched it as a kid and got creeped out by clowns. This thread finally convinced me to read the book, and I don't regret it a bit.

I wasn't sure about the alternating past/present at first but I had just finished Green Mile so I picked it up pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

I finished IT maybe a week ago and I felt the exact same as you. I watched it as a kid and got creeped out by clowns. This thread finally convinced me to read the book, and I don't regret it a bit.

I wasn't sure about the alternating past/present at first but I had just finished Green Mile so I picked it up pretty easily.

I haven't read the Green Mile yet, but one of my favourite books (entirely different genre, though) is Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks, which does the alternating chapters as well except that the past narrative goes backwards in time to add more to the confusion, so it didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I'm pretty impressed with how he combined the split narrative with the whole memory loss thing to build up towards both fights with It as the finale without spoiling anything or making it tacky. There's some great instances of foreshadowing that were just as creepy (if not more so) than the actual confrontations with It.

April
Jul 3, 2006

If anyone has been reading the Locke & Key series by Joe Hill, the final volume is out in hardcover, and you can get a signed copy:

http://joehillsthrills.tumblr.com/post/75706684309/out-today-in-hardcover-want-signed-order-from

I ordered one, shipped in the US it is $36. Not sure if they are doing any international shipping, but I figured I'd throw this out there.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Speaking of Joe Hill - I finished Horns last year, and while it was a well-written book that had some cool stuff, I'd prefer not to have read it in hindsight. I guess I've been getting more sensitive to stark brutality and horrible poo poo as I get older, and somehow Hill's writing is more bleak and depressing to me than the sum of its parts. With both that book, and Heart Shaped Box, I just felt kind of down after being immersed in the world view he was conveying, if that makes sense. I'm not sure I'd want to really hang out with the guy.

The catch here is that I had a bunch of Audible credits, and already bought the audiobook for NOS4A2. I guess I can return it, but I figured I'd double check that I wouldn't be missing out on a different experience.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Closing in on the finale of 'salem's Lot, I'm finding it kind of weird how King goes on about the power of whiteness. It's making me reflect on how the opposing force to "white" in nearly everything else is "black", but in King's universe it's red. The eternal battle between black and white is understandable, but that same battle cast between red and white just makes me want a candy cane.

blah blah Stanley Kubrick blah blah The Shining blah blah Indians blah

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Closing in on the finale of 'salem's Lot, I'm finding it kind of weird how King goes on about the power of whiteness. It's making me reflect on how the opposing force to "white" in nearly everything else is "black", but in King's universe it's red. The eternal battle between black and white is understandable, but that same battle cast between red and white just makes me want a candy cane.

What if its all three? They can co-exist in some sort of lodge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why is Paul Ryan waiting for me at the end of that curtained corridor? :ohdear:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Locus posted:

Speaking of Joe Hill - I finished Horns last year, and while it was a well-written book that had some cool stuff, I'd prefer not to have read it in hindsight. I guess I've been getting more sensitive to stark brutality and horrible poo poo as I get older, and somehow Hill's writing is more bleak and depressing to me than the sum of its parts. With both that book, and Heart Shaped Box, I just felt kind of down after being immersed in the world view he was conveying, if that makes sense. I'm not sure I'd want to really hang out with the guy.

The catch here is that I had a bunch of Audible credits, and already bought the audiobook for NOS4A2. I guess I can return it, but I figured I'd double check that I wouldn't be missing out on a different experience.

It's still kind of got that Joe Hill grimdark flavor in places but the ending is a lot less brutal. I didn't like Heart Shaped Box much at all, was a little more in to Horns, but actually enjoyed NOS4A2 pretty well.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Locus posted:

I can't deny that Hill has a dark and depressing sensibility, but honestly, I found Horns to be really uplifting at the end. It felt very real to me, for a book about supernatural powers. I know for certain that I teared up a little at the end of the book when Ig was reunited with Merrin. This comes after a long series of brutal, undeserved tragedy for them, and it was a watershed of emotion at the end of the pain. I felt the same way about the end of NOS4A2, a very dark book, and I noticed in the afterword that he thanks his mom for helping him create a better ending.

I'm not by any means trying to deny your experience - we all process art differently -
but for my part, I enjoy his novels very much, even though terrible things happen in them, and not all are saved.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
While I would definitely agree about Horns being very dark and depressing I thought Heart Shaped Box had a surprisingly not grim ending.

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More

bobkatt013 posted:

What if its all three? They can co-exist in some sort of lodge.

This looks delightfully creepy. Where's it from?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Why is Paul Ryan waiting for me at the end of that curtained corridor? :ohdear:

Lurk Ethic posted:

This looks delightfully creepy. Where's it from?

It's from Twin Peaks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

thexerox123 posted:

It's from Twin Peaks.

Which is absolutely amazing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

...for seven episodes or so, then you're better off pretending it was cancelled early.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

...for seven episodes or so, then you're better off pretending it was cancelled early.

The whole first season is good, as is the first half of season two. Once the killer is revealed it has like one episode of still being great, and then it crawls up its own rear end with occasional periods of brilliance, only to come back strong at the end.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

From what I've heard David Lynch wanted "who is the killer?" to stretch out over the entire series but ABC demanded they reveal who it was before that which is why it got so up it's rear end part way through.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just finished reading Dark Advent by Brian Hodge. It's very The Stand-esque, though much tighter paced and almost completely without supernatural elements (I have no idea what's up with the cover). I highly recommend it if you can get ahold of a copy (not terribly hard, but it is OOP, so you'll have to buy used).

The only real drawback, and it is a minor one, is that you can tell it was written in the late '80s due to all the references to then-current technology and events.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If it doesn't have an insane version of the black panthers executing white people in front of a live studio audience, I don't want it. No great loss.

edit: actually that book seems fun.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 9, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The whole first season is good, as is the first half of season two. Once the killer is revealed it has like one episode of still being great, and then it crawls up its own rear end with occasional periods of brilliance, only to come back strong at the end.

Season 2 is better if you fastfoward any scene with James outside Twin Peaks.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I finished Misery a few weeks ago and was amazed at how good it was and how unlike King's other works it was, at least what else I have read of his. No supernatural poo poo, just a crazy lady, it was really well written and the pacing was awesome. I think it also didn't suffer from the terrible ending syndrome that so many of his other books have. Great book, now to watch the movie which is supposed to also be awesome.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I finished Misery a few weeks ago and was amazed at how good it was and how unlike King's other works it was, at least what else I have read of his. No supernatural poo poo, just a crazy lady, it was really well written and the pacing was awesome. I think it also didn't suffer from the terrible ending syndrome that so many of his other books have. Great book, now to watch the movie which is supposed to also be awesome.

Heh, I just finished the audiobook read by Lindsay Crouse a week ago. It was great, second time I've listened to it, and read it twice as well. It's a story shaved to the essentials, as you said - no supernatural, just a prisoner, a madwoman, and leverage. You can tell it's an early King book, for just that reason. It's spare and cruel. Love it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Misery is my favorite book. In general, I mean, not just in King's works.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Farecoal posted:

Misery is my favorite book. In general, I mean, not just in King's works.

Care to elaborate? I loved the book, but apart from pacing, why is it your favourite and not It? :unsmith:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Care to elaborate? I loved the book, but apart from pacing, why is it your favourite and not It? :unsmith:

Basically for the reason same as:

Aquarium Gravel posted:

It's a story shaved to the essentials, as you said - no supernatural, just a prisoner, a madwoman, and leverage. You can tell it's an early King book, for just that reason. It's spare and cruel. Love it.

Only one real location, two characters, both explored in depth, with no supernatural elements, just the right length, and made with (early) King's amazing writing abilities. I really like It, but it doesn't have the right elements to contend for the spot of my favorite book.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Farecoal posted:

Basically for the reason same as:

Only one real location, two characters, both explored in depth, with no supernatural elements, just the right length, and made with (early) King's amazing writing abilities. I really like It, but it doesn't have the right elements to contend for the spot of my favorite book.

These elements are also what give the stories in Different Seasons their power.

I think Misery is one of his few books that stays in terror mode for so long, and does very little of the gross-out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I haven't actually read Misery but I've read about it in one of King's nonfiction books (On Writing, I think?) and apparently the ending took him by surprise. He said, in effect, that the resourcefulness of the main character was greater than he himself anticipated. Not having read the book I can't really comment on that but I always thought it was kind of neat that the conclusion of the story defied the author's expectations. I guess it just speaks to King's general attitude that you don't write a story so much as you discover one through the process of writing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rypakal posted:

These elements are also what give the stories in Different Seasons their power.

I think Misery is one of his few books that stays in terror mode for so long, and does very little of the gross-out.

There aren't very many better lines I can think of than (from the end of Misery, the movie adaptation I think):
Here, you want it?
You want it?! Eat it!
Eat it till you choke, you sick, twisted gently caress!

I wish I had my hardcover nearby, I'd look it up from there. I'm sure that's not right. I'd love it if one of you could post the book version, please. It was so loving cathartic.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
This is a few pages back but I really have to bring it (haha) up..

On the subject of a sequel to It, people seem to think that its "on SK's mind" as little hints turn up everywhere. That's because It isn't some rare god like monster, its just one member of a race of physic vampires in the Dark Tower series. The gunslinger even pops a couple of them during his travels.

This is THE reason I hate those books so much, no matter how evil, ancient or powerful a creature.. sooner or later its just someone's bitch.

and where is all this "Pennywise is a Dreamcatcher alien" stuff from? there's one small throw away reference in the book and everyone (not only here) has leapt on it like a passport from a crashed jumbo.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

and where is all this "Pennywise is a Dreamcatcher alien" stuff from? there's one small throw away reference in the book and everyone (not only here) has leapt on it like a passport from a crashed jumbo.
I don't know if it's so much Dreamcatcher but in Under the Dome, the plot device bears the same insignia as the one on the door the Pennywise's lair in IT.
In Dreamcatcher I think the only reference was Pennywise Lives! spray painted on a manhole cover.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

iostream.h posted:

I don't know if it's so much Dreamcatcher but in Under the Dome, the plot device bears the same insignia as the one on the door the Pennywise's lair in IT.
In Dreamcatcher I think the only reference was Pennywise Lives! spray painted on a manhole cover.

Also taking place in Derry...

April
Jul 3, 2006

A little blurb for "Revival" just came across my facebook, if anyone is interested:

quote:

Revival will be published by Scribner and Hodder & Stoughton on November 11, 2014.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs—including Jamie’s mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.

Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of 13, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family’s horrific loss. In his mid-thirties—addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate—Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

I'm a little iffy on this one - Jamie sounds like a cross between Danny in Doctor Sleep and Jude Coyne, but of course I'll buy it and read it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm categorically opposed to an It sequel or prequel or anything that elaborates on the race to which Robert Gray belongs. With most kinds of horror/mystery, too much explanation takes away the hypnotic terror of the thing. To me, there is nothing that needs to be added, nothing that can be gained, from another story about It or The Losers. That book was one of the best pieces of storytelling I've ever read and anything that makes It seem less mysterious should be shot at dawn.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

This is a few pages back but I really have to bring it (haha) up..

On the subject of a sequel to It, people seem to think that its "on SK's mind" as little hints turn up everywhere. That's because It isn't some rare god like monster, its just one member of a race of physic vampires in the Dark Tower series. The gunslinger even pops a couple of them during his travels.

This is THE reason I hate those books so much, no matter how evil, ancient or powerful a creature.. sooner or later its just someone's bitch.

The nature of Pennywise spoilers:

Pennywise isn't one of those, although IT shares traits. Dandelo is the closest to him (Stuttering Bill, heh), and even then, he's not the same (although it does fit into that whole "Stephen King got everything wrong/exaggerated" thing going on to excuse things being toned down a great deal or not addressed). Re-reading IT, he...she's a lot bigger on the totem pole than them due to being far more ancient (seeing the birth of the universe) and the Turtle's opposite.

For the stupidest/geekiest possible comparison that most won't get, IT is basically Bills from the newest Dragon Ball movie that the creator returned to write. A cosmic being that is responsible for entropy but got incredibly lazy and decided to just chill and eat instead and sleep for long periods of time.

The other characters are much more low level - smaller monsters that have similar traits (eating psychic energy), but aren't nearly at the same level.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
I always considered Pennywise to be just one manifestation of IT; there are manifestations scattered all over the King universe. But IT is elemental, and it's not an alien lifeform as we think of them, even though it did crash to earth, presumably from somewhere out in the universe. It's just IT, that which can't be named.

The manifestations in other books I've thought of as psychic vampires, taking whatever form it needs to intimidate it's current antagonist, but they are both fallible and expendable because they are not IT, they're just a simulacrum of IT. I don't think IT CAN die.

edit: even the Crimson King and Randall Flagg are just errand boys for IT.

BTW, currently reading Good Omens by Pratchett/Gaiman, it's okay so far, not terribly exciting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What if Tak fought It? What about that, friends and neighbors?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Are we going to tempt fate once again, Constant Posters, by posting our favourite Kingisms?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Are we going to tempt fate once again, Constant Posters, by posting our favourite Kingisms?

And that was the last time we ever saw that discussion alive.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

My favorite Kingism is not one of the phrases he uses, it's how ignorant his characters, and also causal novel readers, are to the actual reality of things. If you read the entire body of King's work, especially the Dark Tower, you can get a pretty rational and good understanding of how his whole universe works. But if you're a character in a novel, or a first-time novel reader, well then you're straight-up hosed and no mistake. You have to act in ignorance, and by instinct, and that is TERRIFYING, to the character and reader both. I always enjoyed reading one of his books and realizing that my mind is scrabbling to make sense of what's going on, to find an underlying pattern, and not finding one. I feel like I'm suspended within an unending sea of malicious nonsense, which as a rational being is pretty much the worst.

I'm also very glad that the real world isn't like a Stephen King novel.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Vorgen posted:

If you haven't already seen it the movie "in the mouth of madness" presents this situation really well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vorgen posted:

Depending on the novel, for some people it is.

Aaaaaand now I've made myself depressed again.