Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

JosephWongKS posted:

"It's Mikasa's fault for taking her eyes away from the prey!"

Woah. Was Sasha always this cold / ruthless?

Yes, actually. Her origin story clearly shows she is an absolute bad rear end hunter. Talking about enemies like they are prey seems like a natural thing for her.

Syrant posted:

I'm still wondering what the hell that was about, myself. :psyduck:
The guy was a creep who tried to feel up a girl against her will. They are continuing the idea that he is a creep by saying he's also an idiot who thinks that feeling up Armin has turned him gay. Think of it as justice for the character. You wanted him to pay for being a creep so he's getting the justice he deserves; he thinks his life is over. Obviously being gay is not a life ending experience and obviously "turning" gay doesn't happen by doing what he did - thus he also looks like a complete idiot. It was a dumb and useless thing to put in but that's what it is and now we have to all deal with it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveKap posted:

Yes, actually. Her origin story clearly shows she is an absolute bad rear end hunter. Talking about enemies like they are prey seems like a natural thing for her.

Talking about enemies like they are prey is one thing, and it wasn't what I was asking about. Being so harsh to her friends / comrades is another thing, and that was what surprised me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

Talking about enemies like they are prey is one thing, and it wasn't what I was asking about. Being so harsh to her friends / comrades is another thing, and that was what surprised me.
She takes hunting very seriously!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JosephWongKS posted:

I think she was just angry at Mikasa for getting in trouble. People do that sometimes, particularly when friends are involved.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you would've told me that the schmuck clogging up the gate with his crap at the Battle of Trost would go on to become an important character I would've thought you were dumb, but dammit if this chapter didn't make me interested in the guy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Way back when the drill instructor did say that she didn't work very well with others.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If you would've told me that the schmuck clogging up the gate with his crap at the Battle of Trost would go on to become an important character I would've thought you were dumb, but dammit if this chapter didn't make me interested in the guy.
Yeah, that caught me off guard. It's like Isayama borrowed a page from Oda's notebook for that reveal.

JosephWongKS posted:

To be fair, the entire 104th has changed a lot recently. They've had (in order) Trost attacked just a day after graduating, one member outed as a Titan (that they now work with), another member revealed to be a Titan spy, Castle Utgard attacked and losing several high-ranking officers along with a third member being revealed to be a Titan, two MORE members outed as the two Titans that destroyed Wall Maria, Sasha's Excellent Adventure with her family, the recapture Eren arc, and now the reveal that the Military Police are willing to do everything to get their hands on Eren and Historia. And all of this in span of about....3-4 months, give or take.

So yeah, Sasha is not the same person she was at the start of the series. Granted, she'll still dive head first to get luxury food items as this chapter proved, but she's grown up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Sasha because she's a comedy relief character, but she's also just as competent as everyone else, if not moreso in some ways. I just like the part in the anime where she tells Mikasa about cornered prey being the most dangerous, and she starts growling and twitching involuntarily.

Seriously Safe
Sep 7, 2009
I'm honestly thinking that the flashback woman is Carla. Eren could be another illegitimate child of Rod Reiss, except Carla ran away to Shiganshina with the baby, named him Eren, and got married to Grisha. Eren and Historia could be half siblings, which is my best bet.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Seriously Safe posted:

I'm honestly thinking that the flashback woman is Carla. Eren could be another illegitimate child of Rod Reiss, except Carla ran away to Shiganshina with the baby, named him Eren, and got married to Grisha. Eren and Historia could be half siblings, which is my best bet.
Wouldn't Eren recognize his own mother, even if she looked younger? Krista and Eren are definitely connected somehow, but I don't think it's by blood.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know it just occured to me, I think the best way to get the citizenry ready to revolt against the monarchy would be for Erwin to reveal to the public 1. The titans are humans 2. There are titans in the walls. 3. The monarchy and wall cult knows about it and are doing everything they can to suppress the truth 4. Eren's basement holds the key to the truth, and possibly the way to defeat the titans. 5. The monarchy is trying to stop them from reaching the truth. I imagine this would get the public in the revolutionary spirit, if not create a mass panic he could use to his advantage.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You know it just occured to me, I think the best way to get the citizenry ready to revolt against the monarchy would be for Erwin to reveal to the public 1. The titans are humans 2. There are titans in the walls. 3. The monarchy and wall cult knows about it and are doing everything they can to suppress the truth 4. Eren's basement holds the key to the truth, and possibly the way to defeat the titans. 5. The monarchy is trying to stop them from reaching the truth. I imagine this would get the public in the revolutionary spirit, if not create a mass panic he could use to his advantage.
What if Erwin does this and some fucker decides to find out for sure by taking a pickaxe to the walls until he exposes a colossal titan foot?

Well, it would be a cool as hell story for us if the walls erupted suddenly, but it would be a disaster for all of humanity within the manga.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sasha has always had a habit of getting cranky and childishly defensive. That's what the arrow incident seemed to be to me.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

4. Eren's basement holds the key to the truth, and possibly the way to defeat the titans.

There is negligible factual basis for this other than hearsay from someone with a vested stake in their own continued survival and usefulness. Even if you trust Eren, it's still largely speculation as to what lies inside.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That would be pretty good for causing a total revolt and complete destabilization of authority within the walls, but I'm pretty sure that's worse than the current situation. Erwin wants order, he just can't allow the monarchy to continue to have power since they seems way more concerned about the big secret Eren and Historia are involved with than actually preventing all humans dying

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

There is negligible factual basis for this other than hearsay from someone with a vested stake in their own continued survival and usefulness. Even if you trust Eren, it's still largely speculation as to what lies inside.

His father told him that all the answers could be found there. In light of events maybe he's not the most trustworthy person what with being complicit in helping maintain the conspiracy but he seemingly has no reason to lie to his son at that point. After all he probably died moments later... He sets Eren up with the objective to retake Maria and get to the basement. He goes so far to make it more personal by bringing in Armin and Mikasa, saying that if Eren wants to keep them safe he has to get there.

quote:

but it would be a disaster for all of humanity within the manga.

I agree. If Erwin needs absolute pandamonium in the walls from citizen belligerance and hysteria to accomplish his objective, revealing the truth would be the shortest and quickest route to doing so. At the very least telling the citizenship that titans are humans, and the monarchy knew all along would probably help him out immensely. Of course, he could just want to be king and have all the power and secrets to himself. His freak out while recovering is definately foreshadowing.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read/manga?volume_id=273&chapter_num=54.00

Even if we assume that any alliance between a military faction and a capitalist faction is fascist, it's not entirely clear that wouldn't be an improvement over a monarchist government that has no problem essentially genociding 20% of its poorest citizens and shows every indication of being in on the titan problem somehow in a way that obstructs humanity's survival. Not that things don't change in SnK, but everything we've seen of Erwin has shown that he's more Cincinnatus than Mussolini.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Backslap posted:

Crunchyroll simulpup coming out today. Looking forward to reading all the black bars as you guys can't simply wait a day or two for a real translation and subsequently misunderstand almost every key point being made in a conversation.

So tell me how wrong were we in our understanding of what happened this chapter?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

His father told him that all the answers could be found there. In light of events maybe he's not the most trustworthy person what with being complicit in helping maintain the conspiracy but he seemingly has no reason to lie to his son at that point. After all he probably died moments later... He sets Eren up with the objective to retake Maria and get to the basement. He goes so far to make it more personal by bringing in Armin and Mikasa, saying that if Eren wants to keep them safe he has to get there.

We know that, but the characters don't. All they have is Eren's word.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elotana posted:

Even if we assume that any alliance between a military faction and a capitalist faction is fascist, it's not entirely clear that wouldn't be an improvement over a monarchist government that has no problem essentially genociding 20% of its poorest citizens and shows every indication of being in on the titan problem somehow in a way that obstructs humanity's survival. Not that things don't change in SnK, but everything we've seen of Erwin has shown that he's more Cincinnatus than Mussolini.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Is a military coup backed by certain business interests to defend the state from itself vaguely fascist? Yeah. A little. But Attack on Titan takes place in a really hosed up world. A coup that has vague parallels to the way fascists took power is not necessarily a bad thing in this world. The central government is already as authoritarian and brutal as they come, and they seem to have an issue with corruption in addition to having some suspect mysterious motives. At least Erwin's coup is ultimately humanistic- in that all he honestly cares about in the end is saving humanity.

If the issue really is that Isayama's constructing a world that's vaguely a fascist fantasy- a world where fascistic thinking is proven to be correct... well, I can see that. But it's still a really interesting perspective honestly. I can see the concern, but sympathetic views of traditionally bad things are pretty interesting to me.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

We know that, but the characters don't. All they have is Eren's word.

Right, I looked over that sorry.

Eren saved all of humanity during the battle of Trost, opposes the infiltrators at every step, has recently proven he usually has complete control over his titan. Mikasa and Armin know first hand how loyal he is to a fault, as during the battle with Annie he couldn't transform into a Titan until their lives were threatened because he genuinely didn't want to believe his friend was the enemy.

So while that is a really good point that all they have is his word, his actions through the story so far would make it implausible for characters like Erwin, Levi, or Hange to start thinking he's acting on bad faith or has a sinister ulterior motive. You could convince me that they start finding his unreliability a problem but not that he's actively trying to deceive anyone.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Right, I looked over that sorry.

Eren saved all of humanity during the battle of Trost, opposes the infiltrators at every step, has recently proven he usually has complete control over his titan. Mikasa and Armin know first hand how loyal he is to a fault, as during the battle with Annie he couldn't transform into a Titan until their lives were threatened because he genuinely didn't want to believe his friend was the enemy.

So while that is a really good point that all they have is his word, his actions through the story so far would make it implausible for characters like Erwin, Levi, or Hange to start thinking he's acting on bad faith or has a sinister ulterior motive. You could convince me that they start finding his unreliability a problem but not that he's actively trying to deceive anyone.

Besides the Survey Corps and Pixis, is there anyone who particularly trusts Eren? If I recall correctly, Eren was liked by Wall Rose residents after the Battle of Trost, but took a nosedive in public opinion there after the failed Survey Corps excursion.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just finished the anime. Don't like reading manga and as best as I can tell there's no official word on a second season yet.

This sucks.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Besides the Survey Corps and Pixis, is there anyone who particularly trusts Eren? If I recall correctly, Eren was liked by Wall Rose residents after the Battle of Trost, but took a nosedive in public opinion there after the failed Survey Corps excursion.

I don't think many people would like the guy who went on a massive rampage inside the city that killed a bunch of civilians

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Sockser posted:

Just finished the anime. Don't like reading manga and as best as I can tell there's no official word on a second season yet.

This sucks.

Not making a second season would be tantamount to burning money, at this point :v:

There's an SnK Anime thread if you'd like a place to go for discussion involving less black bars.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
3 unrelated questions:

Does anyone know whether Historia calling Mysterious Woman "sis" is just a term of endearment or if they're actually sisters?

Then, does anyone remember if early in the series someone mentioned that the Wall Cult is actually adhered to by a minority of the citizens? It's clearly really influential even without its importance to the secret conspiracy, what with it having that fancy cathedral in Sina that got smote by Annie's firm rear end. I'd just be interested to see some sort of offhand acknowledgement of some other faith, maybe a non-wallist priest or some generic mention of a god.

And third, are you all 100% positive that the hooded monster the girl was giving an apple to in the book was Ymir? We know that at some point Ymir was a Person/Titan of note and prestige, so it's certainly a possibility. It's something they deemed safe to expose to the political liability-posing bastard girl for mere reading practice fodder, so it's probably just some sort of folk tale based in part on something titan related, and possibly Ymir-related.

For narrative purposes it would make tons of tense for it to be Ymir though, since Historia was told to be like the woman giving the apple to Ymir, and Ymir definitely wants to take a bite out of Historia's apple if you catch my drift :cheeky:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Wall Cult started out as basically a bunch of kooks that nobody paid attention to, but after the first breach they really grew in numbers and legitimacy. There hasn't been any mention of any other religion, though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Does anyone know whether Historia calling Mysterious Woman "sis" is just a term of endearment or if they're actually sisters?

Considering the circumstances, it was a term of endearment. It doesn't make any narrative sense for her to intend to mean she is her older sister, more as an older girl in polite intent.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

Considering the circumstances, it was a term of endearment. It doesn't make any narrative sense for her to intend to mean she is her older sister, more as an older girl in polite intent.

I don't know...Pastor Nick pointed out Historia was dragged into a conflict between relatives. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c037/28.html The implication being it was relatives who wanted her dead and Lord Reiss who wanted her alive. Then Eren thought that she was Historia for a moment.

It's most likely just a term of endearment, and I think it is, but the seeds of doubt are there, you know?

quote:

And third, are you all 100% positive that the hooded monster the girl was giving an apple to in the book was Ymir?

No. It's just it looks like Ymir's titan. I think you're getting it right though. The vibe I'm picking up from that scene is the girl with an apple is a sacrifice, and Historia was intended to be the sacrifice. I think it would be interesting if that were the case, because Historia's mother and family's loathing would probably be misdirecting their own self-loathing unto her, and forming no emotional connection because she's not intended to be alive much longer.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It seems that the fascist subtext is now just fascist text.

e:I mean, this chapter literally features an alliance of the military and the capitalist class to overthrow authority and to protect the latter's interests and privileges. I'm kind of disgusted.

I know, right? And here I am, cheering for the coup d'etat and torture because we might finally get answers that way

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think that was a joke, I'm pretty sure that guy was just intended to be really, really loving creepy.

It reminded me of the X-Files: ten years of aliens, disgusting monsters, existential horrors and body horror, and yet the scariest "monster" was a creepy necrophiliac serial killer who wants to wash Scully's hair

JosephWongKS posted:

"It's Mikasa's fault for taking her eyes away from the prey!"

Woah. Was Sasha always this cold / ruthless?

She's a hunter, it's a hunter thing. Remember she and Connie playing the kill-stealing game in training?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

This sucks.

Manga is way better, and since the anime burned through a good 60% of the manga at the time, and seeing how there's a chapter a month or so, you're gonna have to wait a while or they're going to make a bunch of irrelevant filler ala naruto or bleach or whatever.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't think that was a joke, I'm pretty sure that guy was just intended to be really, really loving creepy.

Yeah, it was a creeper being a creeper. He was saying "I've got an erection because of you. Take responsibility and get me off."

A Stranger
Sep 14, 2010
A revolt against a feudal absolute monarchy by a "progressive" army and parts of the capitalist class is more similar to a typical bourgeois revolution in the vein of cromwell or napoleon than actual fascism.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Stranger posted:

A revolt against a feudal absolute monarchy by a "progressive" army and parts of the capitalist class is more similar to a typical bourgeois revolution in the vein of cromwell or napoleon than actual fascism.

Neither of those individuals are good examples of what I think you are trying to say. Cromwell was part of a civil war between the government and the king, and Napoleon seized power to end a revolutionary government that had risen when the lower classes in France had finally decided to take actions into their own hands in bringing down the government.

Also we already have a perfectly good word to describe what happens when the military tries to seize control of the government.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Hunt11 posted:

So tell me how wrong were we in our understanding of what happened this chapter?

You guys lucked out this time, or most people just waited for Crunchy this time before speculating too much. The only ambiguous part was the creepy dude with Armin and that remained slightly confusing and dumb in a real translated state. The issue before this was just dumb, and so was the one before that.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 10, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

No. It's just it looks like Ymir's titan. I think you're getting it right though. The vibe I'm picking up from that scene is the girl with an apple is a sacrifice, and Historia was intended to be the sacrifice. I think it would be interesting if that were the case, because Historia's mother and family's loathing would probably be misdirecting their own self-loathing unto her, and forming no emotional connection because she's not intended to be alive much longer.

Didn't Ymir say something about many people wanting her to die, and that she "stole the titan's power"?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope I'm not the only one who giggled at Eren apologizing to Christa for not being able to harden his titan.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, it was a creeper being a creeper. He was saying "I've got an erection because of you. Take responsibility and get me off."

Okay, now the one thing I'm still unsure about is what Jean meant when he says "leave it to me?" Is he going to beat the poo poo out of him for being a creepy creeper? Is Jean just a homophobe and is going to gaybash the guy?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Okay, now the one thing I'm still unsure about is what Jean meant when he says "leave it to me?" Is he going to beat the poo poo out of him for being a creepy creeper? Is Jean just a homophobe and is going to gaybash the guy?
I assumed Jean meant he was going to re-gag the guy and make sure he was properly tied up. I can see Armin being pretty uncomfortable with that task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who giggled at Eren apologizing to Christa for not being able to harden his titan.

You were not.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Levi asked Armin to fix his gag, but Jean said that he'd do it. Although, that guy being gay isn't what I thought you were supposed to take away from what he said. It seemed like it was supposed to show that this guy is both creepy and loving retarded.