Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

gently caress you guys, I've got to wait two more months before I can see Lego Movie. It's going to be hard avoiding spoilers until then.

Snape kills Dumbledore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Normally I am not a huge fan of license set but I have fallen in love with the Lone Ranger train, that thing was so much fun to build and a very fun set to play with and looks great on display. My only negative comment is all the empty space in the middle of the track, I need to fill it with some old Wild West stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Target had the Rancor pit for $42. Gonna pick it up tomorrow. Think they may have had Jabba's Palace clearenced as well but sold out. Gonna make some rounds tomorrow and pick up the both of them.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The movie is outstanding. I can't help but post about it. Saw it at a 10pm showing with absolutely nobody else in the theater but me and my group of friends. Laughing like idiots the whole time. :kimchi:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Was it shot in 3D or postconverted? There are way more 3D than regular showtimes near me and I am loathe to pay and extra five bucks, but might stomach it so I don't have to watch it at 11:45 at night.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Just got back from the movie. It was awesome.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's been some discussion of the LEGO movie in the CineD chat thread. The general feeling seems to be that it's good, and that it generally benefits from being in 3D.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's going to be my valentines day treat :3:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

MaliciousOnion posted:

gently caress you guys, I've got to wait two more months before I can see Lego Movie. It's going to be hard avoiding spoilers until then.

We probably won't even see any of the movie sets until the movie comes out, either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

door Door door posted:

Was it shot in 3D or postconverted? There are way more 3D than regular showtimes near me and I am loathe to pay and extra five bucks, but might stomach it so I don't have to watch it at 11:45 at night.

It's CGI.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It's stop-motion and CGI! :eng101:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Well yeah, but my understanding is that you could still render it out to 2D and then convert it if you're extra cheap/lazy. Is that not the case?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

The_Doctor posted:

It's stop-motion and CGI! :eng101:

I haven't been able to find anything confirming just how it's stop-motion, if at all. I do like the verisimilitude of the limited range of motion the minifigs seem to have in the clips I've seen, unlike the bendy ones in the licensed video games. Gonna catch this tomorrow in 3D.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

door Door door posted:

Well yeah, but my understanding is that you could still render it out to 2D and then convert it if you're extra cheap/lazy. Is that not the case?

It is converted (I sat through the credits). Also able to confirm cameo: Billy Dee!!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So far, I have visited two wal-marts and I have only seen mostly galaxy squad on clearance, I picked up a Vermin Vaporizer ($35), Hive Crawler ($35) and Bug Obliterator ($49). I haven't seen many good clearance deals on other lines. I have saw the lone ranger train marked down to $49 from $99 which is awesome, but other than that I haven't seen many other sets on clearance.

Also, I am bit surprised at how rare the bug men are, I really expected more than 1 bug minifig in the hive crawler. But I am not a big fan of the bug men anyways. Did wal-mart ever carry the CLS-89 Erdaicator Mech or Galactic Titan? I haven't seen either of those sets in the two wal-marts I have visited, there are 3 or 4 more wal-marts in my area I can check and a few targets but if thats a lost cause then I will settle for my current purchases.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wal-mart nearest me didn't have anything interesting on clearance. Some of the low end Chima sets were a few bucks off and that was it. :effort:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BXEvmWbeC8&t=0m13s

(Spoiler in the video for that spoiler)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Some great deals today. Got the mountain cabin creator set and the movie set with the cowboy-themed wings and robot deputys for 20% off at TRU (which of course put it not too much below retail for other places) but I also got a free movie ticket out of it for the Lego Movie. Then went on Amazon and grabbed the Flatbed Truck, Grand Prix Truck, and the A-Wing for $51 with free shipping.

Can't wait to see the movie tomorrow night with the kids.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

door Door door posted:

Even though its cgi they do an amazing job of making it look like a stop motion movie. Seeing it in 3D is totally the way to go. Once you see it you'll see what we're talking about concerning the 2D and 3D thing.

Also,
:siren: :slick:EVERYTHING IS AWESOME:slick: :siren:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I was reading a review for the Lego movie (which I can't wait to see) and happened to get a close look at the poster and noticed a tiny yet awesome detail.

Benny the spaceman's helmet has a tiny little split in the chin piece! If you can remember back to the classic space helmets, you'd know that was a common problem with that piece.

I love tiny, mostly irrelevant, details like that :allears:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, I am bit surprised at how rare the bug men are, I really expected more than 1 bug minifig in the hive crawler. But I am not a big fan of the bug men anyways. Did wal-mart ever carry the CLS-89 Erdaicator Mech or Galactic Titan? I haven't seen either of those sets in the two wal-marts I have visited, there are 3 or 4 more wal-marts in my area I can check and a few targets but if thats a lost cause then I will settle for my current purchases.

Those are the two sets I picked up from mine. Got the last Titan, but it looked like there were a few Eradicators left. The Titan was $50 (from $100) so I really wouldn't expect it to last long.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Should we tell him?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

You are going to love the movie then.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The_Doctor posted:

It's going to be my valentines day treat :3:

My wife is taking me to see it too :h:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I went to the 10pm showing tonight, the cinema was just full of adults and we were all in hysterics, it's really funny.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And I've pretty much discovered that none of the cinemas within decent driving distance where I live will actually show the Lego movie non dubbed because it's being classified as a kids movie. :sigh: gently caress everything.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007
Hit up three Walmarts today. Picked clean but did score a damaged box Weathertop (9472) (looks like something stuck to the front of the box and ripped off the printing) along with a Rancor pit (75005) for 40 each.

Does Walmart restock clearance from the warehouse?

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
The movie is fantastic, the animation unbelievable, and the story is actually interesting. I will be seeing it again soon!
Also:

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

:siren: :slick:EVERYTHING IS AWESOME:slick: :siren:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Saw it in 3D. Totally worth it. I worried my expectations were too high, and it blew them right the gently caress away.

SPACESHIP SPACESHIP SPACESHIP

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I especially loved the blink-and-you'll-miss-it things, like the quick shot of a Bionicle world as Wyldstyle is explaining the cosmology of the LEGO universe.

Also DUPLO.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Decided against buying the Rancor Pit/Jabbas palace after seeing photos of them combined.

But the I picked up a hive crawler for $30. It's cool but does anyone else who has it have problems with the legs? It seems like they're designed to work better going backwards , and sometimes they get stuck moving forward.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sockser posted:

Decided against buying the Rancor Pit/Jabbas palace after seeing photos of them combined.

But the I picked up a hive crawler for $30. It's cool but does anyone else who has it have problems with the legs? It seems like they're designed to work better going backwards , and sometimes they get stuck moving forward.

When we still had the Hive Crawler on display in the store, I'd occasionally take it out and show kids and parents the movement of the legs. I never had an issue with them, but I have seen videos of people assembling them and making tiny mistakes that affect their movement, so... I dunno.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

No Pun Intended posted:

I was reading a review for the Lego movie (which I can't wait to see) and happened to get a close look at the poster and noticed a tiny yet awesome detail.

Benny the spaceman's helmet has a tiny little split in the chin piece! If you can remember back to the classic space helmets, you'd know that was a common problem with that piece.

The minifigure for Benny has his logo pre-faded and his helmet pre-cracked. :allears:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Take a look at the links that go between the ball joints. I've noticed the work a lot more smoothly if they have the little notch in the middle (where the injection burr is) faces downward. I had two of them notch up and for some reason it just moved like poo poo. Flipped 'em over and it works great. And of course, make sure the axle isn't binding.

Also, LEGO Movie chat:

Holy crap. There's no way it could have been made with any other property. Like, it's ostensibly a 90-minute ad for LEGO, but LEGO is also integral to the way the movie is presented. It also made me cry like a little girl for about ten minutes despite being super cheesy while doing so. Pretty much every part is perfectly cast, the cameos were good, the animation was loving AMAZING, and this was clearly loved by pretty much everyone that worked on it.

And yeah, as an ad for LEGO, it worked really, really well. I'm totally buying Benny's Spaceship and whatever Metalbeard's ship is called.

My only complaints are the relative lack of female characters (aside from Wyldstyle there's only two other female characters, one of which is Wonder Woman, who totally gets shafted, and Unikitty, who is basically Pinky Pie), the complete lack of Marvel Super Heroes--though I really loved the use of the DC characters, and the heavy reliance on blindness jokes inre: Vitruvius. Some of them were funny, sure, but still. For a relatively harmless kid's movie, it stuck out quite a bit to me. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

and whatever Metalbeard's ship is called.

I want to say the Manatee..?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

rickiep00h posted:

the complete lack of Marvel Super Heroes

It's a Warner Brothers movie, so I don't think there was any chance of them using the Marvel characters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best animated movie in years, ending was pretty sappy but that's a kid movie for you. I did like how it poked fun at adults telling us all to "just build crazy poo poo you knobs." Even the 3D was well done.

Hopefully Emmet's first build gets sold as a set later this year. :swoon:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Movie was fun.

Some of the stuff towards the end made me feel a little guilty, but the message was somehow weakened by going to the Lego store and buying the movie sets of the creative vehicle remixes and using instructions to build them.

The person I asked said that Metalbeard's Ship will be £169, which is ten bucks cheaper than Simpson's House, same price as the Big X-Wing and Orthanc. It seems low to me, but I hope they're right.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cloks posted:

It's a Warner Brothers movie, so I don't think there was any chance of them using the Marvel characters.

You and your logic, bein' all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
drat that was a good movie. Anyone watch it in 3d? I was tempted to because the theater was selling 6 dollar tickets for it but thought it would just be uncomfortable wearing glasses over my glasses.

Also ended up getting a bunch of Lego at Walmart for 30% off the already discounted price because a bunch has some pretty big dents on the corners. If anyone does find some broken or dented boxes, I'd recommend you take them to the cigarette line or to someone who looks like a manager since they seem to give out the best discounts.