Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I'd recommend doing a clean install of nVidia drivers and switching power saving mode from Adaptive to Maximum Performance in the control panel. Next, use nVidia Inspector to see what clocks it's running at, and what power state it's in.

I have a V7 and sometimes it will inexplicably decide to force itself into extremely low clock states with plenty of thermal headroom, stop boosting, stay in a low-power state, or all sorts of stupid bullshit. This will cause FPS drops or just straight up half my FPS. After those two things, it's gotten much better, but nVidia mobile drivers are frustratingly horrible and cause issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

but nVidia bile drivers are frustratingly horrible and cause issues.

Fwiw in a year and half of ownership I haven't had a single issue with my 675m. GPUs really are voodoo.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Do you have Optimus on your system? I suspect that might be the cause of most of these problems. I've also gotten bizarre stuff like explorer.exe showing as running under the nVidia GPU instead of Intel until reboot, or entering the nVidia Control Panel causing a pop-up telling me my display isn't connected to a nVidia GPU. GeForce Experience also isn't so hot at installing drivers, freezes, and sets some absolutely bizarre options if you use its settings optimization tool.

Still way better than the 6xxx-7xxx N/AC Intel wireless cards' recent problems, though - there's several 50+ page threads on it dropping to 802.11b mode at seeming random with no fix. I expected way more solid support than the equivalent 3rd party wireless hardware, but once in my life I feel like I should have went with Broadcom!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Still way better than the 6xxx-7xxx N/AC Intel wireless cards' recent problems, though - there's several 50+ page threads on it dropping to 802.11b mode at seeming random with no fix. I expected way more solid support than the equivalent 3rd party wireless hardware, but once in my life I feel like I should have went with Broadcom!

Still haven't figured out how to make the Wireless-N 7260 card in the Y410P not suck by dropping connections and causing my router to reboot itself. It happens more with sustained downloads, like trying to get Civ V off Steam probably caused like 6 reboots the entire time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think you can blame router reboots on the laptop

Cheekio posted:

The argument is that you have your wrists aren't in line with the center of the screen, but your body is, so you end up with sore wrists.

So don't sit like that then? Seems simple enough to keep the trackpad aligned with your body.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So how does one bounce back from being stung by Lenovo's questionable design changes (sent back X240)?

Walk into Best Buy, walk out with an outrageous deal.

Noticed the open box cage had a 13" rMBP/8gig/512ssd for $1,799. Marked down to $1,611.

There was a sign that said "Friday and Saturday only - extra 20% off open box laptops!"

Snatched that poo poo up in a millisecond. I feel like I stole the drat thing.

ME866LL/A. Basically the latest gen Haswell rMBP.

$1,289 for a $1,799 machine with only 5 charge cycles and 11.5 months left on the warranty?

Yes please. Cheaper than the X240 and a much better machine. Considered flipping it for a few hundred buck profit, but nope.

My quest is over.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hotsauce posted:

So how does one bounce back from being stung by Lenovo's questionable design changes (sent back X240)?

Walk into Best Buy, walk out with an outrageous deal.

Noticed the open box cage had a 13" rMBP/8gig/512ssd for $1,799. Marked down to $1,611.

There was a sign that said "Friday and Saturday only - extra 20% off open box laptops!"

Snatched that poo poo up in a millisecond. I feel like I stole the drat thing.

ME866LL/A. Basically the latest gen Haswell rMBP.

$1,289 for a $1,799 machine with only 5 charge cycles and 11.5 months left on the warranty?

Yes please. Cheaper than the X240 and a much better machine. Considered flipping it for a few hundred buck profit, but nope.

My quest is over.

Good find you son of a gun! I just ordered a refurb rMBP i5 haswell with only 4 gigs ram and 128 SSD for $1099, $1175 with state tax. I would love to pay $1300 for even 8 gigs ram and 256 SSD. I need to check out all the best buys around here for steals like that.

Seriously good score, even last gen Ivy bridge units with that amount of memory are going for at least $100 more.

Edit: Also a friend of mine bought a 13" rMBP today with 8/256 memory and paid almost $1500 tax included, with an education discount. So yeah, great deal!

tesilential fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 9, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best buy open boxes rule. If you are a reward zone member you should be getting a $25 coupon soon so that's even more savings

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My second y410p is currently in the process of making GBS threads the bed, I.e. isn't booting after thirty+ minutes on a clean restore. I hate my life, this is ridiculous. I don't have a computer because of this nonsense and I want to be job hunting and such and I can't.

If I do a non-Lenovo win 8.1 install on this hunk, what new problems am I looking at? The built in drivers don't seem to be worth the bits and I've got a disc and key. I just want the functioning computer I thought I paid for back in mid December, gently caress.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Chard posted:

If I do a non-Lenovo win 8.1 install on this hunk, what new problems am I looking at? The built in drivers don't seem to be worth the bits and I've got a disc and key. I just want the functioning computer I thought I paid for back in mid December, gently caress.

I did an MSDN 8.1 fresh install and it's been working fine so far. I actually installed most of the Lenovo drivers back on though since they seem to be working okay except for the wireless.

Edit: Don't install the Lenovo Intel HD4600 driver though, it's known to cause BSOD while playing games (it's not a Lenovo problem for once, I think). The updated driver from the Intel site (it will autodetect) has apparently fixed the issue, but you can't install it if there's already a Lenovo driver installed. It will say the driver is not "approved for this hardware by the manufacturer" or some poo poo. If you just get rid of it and let it use a generic driver, then you can install the Intel one.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 9, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Chard posted:

My second y410p is currently in the process of making GBS threads the bed, I.e. isn't booting after thirty+ minutes on a clean restore. I hate my life, this is ridiculous. I don't have a computer because of this nonsense and I want to be job hunting and such and I can't.

Format and install Windows 7 and I have a feeling your problems will disappear. Windows 8 is poop.

The minute my T440P arrives I'm pulling the mechanical HDD with 8 on it and will install my own SSD with 7.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Format and install Windows 7 and I have a feeling your problems will disappear. Windows 8 is poop.

The minute my T440P arrives I'm pulling the mechanical HDD with 8 on it and will install my own SSD with 7.

That's a little bit retarded seeing as with classic shell you've windows 7 with all the under the hood improvements of 8.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cmdrmonkey posted:

This is the exact opposite of what he should do. If he's having hardware issues, installing Windows 7 won't help with that. Windows 8 will, however, come with more recent drivers than Windows 7, and you'll also get better battery life, a more stable experience, more girls will want to blow you, etc.

Just install Classic Shell with Windows 8, that setup is better than 7 in every way

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

you'll also get better battery life, a more stable experience, more girls will want to blow you, etc.

I'm fairly convinced all of that is just Microsoft marketing.

My own experience with 8 has been pretty much the same as with any other Windows version update which is to say a lot promised, not a lot delivered.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

I did an MSDN 8.1 fresh install and it's been working fine so far. I actually installed most of the Lenovo drivers back on though since they seem to be working okay except for the wireless.

Edit: Don't install the Lenovo Intel HD4600 driver though, it's known to cause BSOD while playing games (it's not a Lenovo problem for once, I think). The updated driver from the Intel site (it will autodetect) has apparently fixed the issue, but you can't install it if there's already a Lenovo driver installed. It will say the driver is not "approved for this hardware by the manufacturer" or some poo poo. If you just get rid of it and let it use a generic driver, then you can install the Intel one.

I think I'm going to do this today. Before I start, should I back up the drivers some how, or just go all in and redownload as prompted?

Re: Classic Shell, it's great and I've been using it while the laptop was cooperating. I do have 7 also but I agree that going back to that seems wrong.

e: what the blistering gently caress is this now? This is on a brand new restore from last night: Does this seem like a hardware thing? This is the first laptop I've had in like a decade, are these normal shaking out issues?

Chard fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 9, 2014

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
e:^^^^ That is not normal. You may want to take that to the short hardware questions thread or HAUS.

dissss posted:

I'm fairly convinced all of that is just Microsoft marketing.

My own experience with 8 has been pretty much the same as with any other Windows version update which is to say a lot promised, not a lot delivered.

Better Battery Life
Better Game Performance
I don't think I have link to boot up times or whatever because those are pretty well documented at this point.
Windows 8.1 is also much smaller than Windows 7. When I updated from Windows 8, I think I got like ~10-20GB back, and Windows 8 was already smaller than Windows 7.
I also believe that Windows 8.x uses up less resources than Windows 7, but I haven't really checked.

It's not huge, but Windows 8.x is faster than Windows 7 and offer better battery life. The only reasons to stick to Windows 7 are driver or program incompatibility (does happen, but not often), anesthetics (you don't like the borderless look), and missing features (few but I can understand this can be a dealbreaker).

You really, really don't have to worry about driver issues with Windows 8, but it may be a problem with older hardware and Windows 8.1. Most people won't be bothered by this. You can change Windows 8.x appearance, but it doesn't have all the themes and shell themes of Windows 7. As far as I know, there is no way to make it look like Windows 7. And of course the missing features. Some features have been moved to the Professional and Enterprise versions, and there are the cut features that happen between Windows versions. I can't tell which features have been cut since none of the ones I use have been, but yeah.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay so I've been thinking about buying a new labtop for a while now, especially since I think my eeePC is going to eventually give up on me after about 6 years of spotless duty (I will miss this reliable little thing), and from reading the OP, a lenovo T430 is pretty much what I want, right? Because if yes, then I have a few questions :

-Will I be able to upgrade some of the hardware? I'm thinking about putting in some more RAM and maybe upgrading to an SSD.
-Will I be able to play games, even on minimum settings? (most likely World of Tanks, maybe some slightly newer games but I'm not really expecting to play any new release on 1080p and max settings on 60fps). Same goes for movies and online embedded videos.
-Why are they so expensive in europe? it's like 1300€ for the base models. Would ordering one on amazon.com work?
-Also that will sound stupid to most technologically enclined people here, but will I be able to make some sort of windows XP/8.x dual install? I'm terrible at using 8, from what I've seen.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WitchFetish posted:

from reading the OP, a lenovo T430 is pretty much what I want, right?
Depends entirely on what you want out of a laptop. In general they're pretty good, but the new T440 series brings some noticeable upgrades to the table.

WitchFetish posted:

-Will I be able to upgrade some of the hardware? I'm thinking about putting in some more RAM and maybe upgrading to an SSD.
Yes, you can upgrade the HDD and RAM quite easily, and the wireless card with a little effort.

WitchFetish posted:

-Will I be able to play games, even on minimum settings? (most likely World of Tanks, maybe some slightly newer games but I'm not really expecting to play any new release on 1080p and max settings on 60fps). Same goes for movies and online embedded videos.
Should be fine, especially if you pick up one of the versions with the nVidia dGPU in it. The newer T440 can handle all of that without really needing the dGPU.

WitchFetish posted:

-Why are they so expensive in europe? it's like 1300€ for the base models. Would ordering one on amazon.com work?
Because Europe hates technology. That's really the only reason--you guys continuously get hosed on absolutely every piece of computer hardware, and it's been that way for years. Australia is much the same, even though they're literally right next door to the actual manufacturers. Getting one from Amazon would work, but be aware that you'll still end up paying import fees, and any returns or warranty repair would require you to ship it back state-side.

WitchFetish posted:

-Also that will sound stupid to most technologically enclined people here, but will I be able to make some sort of windows XP/8.x dual install? I'm terrible at using 8, from what I've seen.
You could, if you really wanted to. What you more likely would want to do is simply leave it with Windows 7 (which is already pretty close to XP) if it came that way, or if it comes with Win 8 simply install Classic Shell or one of the various other similar programs which will effectively "revert" Win 8 to make it like 7/XP. There's really no reason whatsoever to actually have XP anymore unless you have some software that specifically requires it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WitchFetish posted:

Would ordering one on amazon.com work?
Do not forget about keyboard layouts, OS localisation and power plug differences.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My friend is a researcher at a lab and they are allowing him to get any laptop within $2000 and he'll be reimbursed.

He doesn't play videogames but he programs and watches movies. He wants the maximum value with the least depreciation since he is allowed to sell it down the line. But he also doesn't want a Mac.

He's looking for build quality, battery life, and hopefully a 1080p screen, and for the thing to be on the smaller side, not a huge gaming laptop. I figure the best ways to hit $2k is with build quality, SSD, and ram, but I haven't been following the laptop market in years.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Try a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. You can install Windows or Linux on it, so it doesn't really matter that's it a MAC (unless your friend just has some moral reason for not wanting a MAC). Warning though, you won't get great battery life on a Windows machine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jesus Christ install Windows 7 if you want because some trivial improvements are not worth you not enjoying your computing experience, nerd rage be damned.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Buying a $100 OS when your laptop came with one for free is not a good idea if you can fix any gripes you have with the free one. Not everybody has a $100 to waste on frivolous poo poo like that. If your laptop comes with Windows 7, that's nice. If it comes with Windows 8.x and you don't have a Windows 7 license, then you have options if you dislike some things about Windows 8.

A lot of people come in here not ever tried Windows 8.x, so most of us assure them that Windows 8.x won't mutilate their dog when they're sleeping. Even if they got that impression from how the internet reacts to Windows 8.

What hell are you even responding to, anyway? The latest post in this thread about Windows 8.x is from me, and I was explaining some of the improvements Windows 8.x has. Before that, the posters in this thread was responding to some FUD about Windows 8 being the source of one's problems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GrizzlyCow posted:

Better Battery Life
Better Game Performance
I don't think I have link to boot up times or whatever because those are pretty well documented at this point.

As I said it doesn't match my own experience with our own HPs and Lenovos (we've tried all sorts of different configs on them) - battery life ranges from similar to worse depending on what drivers are available, and there is no noticeable performance difference.

Even the bootup thing is more marketing than anything else as a full on restart takes just as long as it ever did (and lets face it you're going to be restarting a lot because of updates)

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

My stepmother is starting a new job for a small life sciences company and they have basically told her "Buy whatever you need to get the job done" in terms of budget on her laptop. She is a statistician and will be crunching a lot of data in SAS. I'm looking to get her a decent laptop from a big brand company that will be good for what she's doing. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start? I figure at, at minimum, it should have: SSD, decent amount of memory, and at least a quad core if not more.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SAS is a performance nightmare - just throwing more hardware at it isn't necessarily going to help a lot, its more about writing efficient code.

Also you may not be better off with more cores - a lot of the time they simply won't be utilised which makes single threaded performance at least as important.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
sorry you guys have been having problems with Y410Ps :(

I still like mine, not much of a feat but it runs Loadout at like 80fps with everything maxed, so I still feel like paying double for something appreciably better would be silly.

I have a windows reporting thing constantly complaining about power options not all being available because some driver is incompatible with the existing power management, anyone have any idea what the gently caress? I have the Lenovo power management software installed even though it's pretty useless. My laptop also likes to sleep after a few hours without being touched, even when it's plugged in, despite being set to never sleep, anyone have an idea why?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

Try a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. You can install Windows or Linux on it, so it doesn't really matter that's it a MAC (unless your friend just has some moral reason for not wanting a MAC). Warning though, you won't get great battery life on a Windows machine.

He doesn't want to be arsed with installing Windows on it and all the bootup/driver fuckery that comes with it. Why wouldn't a Windows laptop with the same processor be able to have similar battery life?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Update on my ongoing tale of y410p woe; made a USB install drive for 8.1, I can get into Setup and view Drive 0 (SSD part of the hybrid) and Drive 1 (platter) but I can't actually install windows. Even after formatting it tells me I can't create a new partition or locate an existing one, even though in the list of drives it says partition 1! I've been working with MS tech support all afternoon and they're going to send me an install disc to try, but at this point I think it's most likely another bad HDD.

Question to other y410p owners: does yours ever make a very high-pitched whine? It's different from the full-fan noise I got while it was still functional enough to play games, it's on the very edge of hearing and quite loud. It seems to happen when I'm the BIOS or trying to use the Windows installer.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

He doesn't want to be arsed with installing Windows on it and all the bootup/driver fuckery that comes with it. Why wouldn't a Windows laptop with the same processor be able to have similar battery life?

I think he's specifically saying putting Windows on a Macbook Pro will give you much worse battery life than if you used OSX on it. But it's also true that each Macbook gets much better battery life than similar Windows laptops.

Engadget numbers from Retina Macbook Pro 13" review:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

RVProfootballer posted:

I think he's specifically saying putting Windows on a Macbook Pro will give you much worse battery life than if you used OSX on it. But it's also true that each Macbook gets much better battery life than similar Windows laptops.

I guess what I typed was poorly typed out. Yeah, OSX does have better battery life than similar Windows machines even when you normalize battery size and screen brightness.

I'm pretty sure that Boot Camp comes with the drivers for Windows 8 and 7, or at least, you can download a package that'll have those drivers. So on that front, getting the Mac won't be worse than getting a PC.

There are alternative, pure-Windows laptops, of course. I'll just let the regulars here give you a recommendation on them.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

If I've just bought a Yoga 2 Pro and want to do a clean install of windows 8.1, I basically just need the msdn windows 8.1 iso, the product key ripped out of the bios, and the USB formatting tool for a windows 7 iso, right? Is there anything that's going to make my life particularly difficult? The drat wifi card is dropping connection at random, and I remember a post 20 pages or so back that said a flatten and vanilla install would provide a generic driver that worked a hell of a lot better, plus it'll blow away all this bloatware hanging around.

Fake Edit: literally dropped connection trying to post this.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Vegastar posted:

If I've just bought a Yoga 2 Pro and want to do a clean install of windows 8.1, I basically just need the msdn windows 8.1 iso, the product key ripped out of the bios, and the USB formatting tool for a windows 7 iso, right? Is there anything that's going to make my life particularly difficult? The drat wifi card is dropping connection at random, and I remember a post 20 pages or so back that said a flatten and vanilla install would provide a generic driver that worked a hell of a lot better, plus it'll blow away all this bloatware hanging around.

Fake Edit: literally dropped connection trying to post this.

There is an update to the wireless driver that I installed after getting my Yoga 2 Pro that improved things dramatically. Just keep that in mind for when you reinstall.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Peanut3141 posted:

There is an update to the wireless driver that I installed after getting my Yoga 2 Pro that improved things dramatically. Just keep that in mind for when you reinstall.

I'm pretty sure that I grabbed the most recent one off lenovo's site, but it's still complete poo poo. I've got one thin drywall and about 10 feet between my router and the couch I'm on now and it's just dropping connection at random every 10 minutes or so. Pretty sure that shouldn't happen.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Vegastar posted:

I'm pretty sure that I grabbed the most recent one off lenovo's site, but it's still complete poo poo. I've got one thin drywall and about 10 feet between my router and the couch I'm on now and it's just dropping connection at random every 10 minutes or so. Pretty sure that shouldn't happen.

I'm going through 4 drywall, likely a washer or dryer and about 20 meters and I get around 20Mbps down and 10Mpbs up? Perhaps the issue is the router? I have a AC-66U connecting on 2.4GHz.

Driver version is 16.5.3.6 if that helps.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Peanut3141 posted:

I'm going through 4 drywall, likely a washer or dryer and about 20 meters and I get around 20Mbps down and 10Mpbs up? Perhaps the issue is the router? I have a AC-66U connecting on 2.4GHz.

Driver version is 16.5.3.6 if that helps.

It's an AT&T Uverse Gateway hooked up to an Airport Extreme for routing. And everything else in the house has great reception everywhere. The laptop just suddenly decides it's still connected to the network, but it has no internet connectivity and I have to airplane mode on, then off again and suddenly everything is okay for a while.

EDIT: my driver is also 16.5.3.6 :( I hope there's not something wrong with this thing.

Double Edit: Looks like Intel has an even newer version of the driver on their site. 16.6.0.8 now. Gonna try this one for a little bit before I give up the ghost and flatten this thing, I guess.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 10, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

I guess what I typed was poorly typed out. Yeah, OSX does have better battery life than similar Windows machines even when you normalize battery size and screen brightness.

I'm pretty sure that Boot Camp comes with the drivers for Windows 8 and 7, or at least, you can download a package that'll have those drivers. So on that front, getting the Mac won't be worse than getting a PC.

There are alternative, pure-Windows laptops, of course. I'll just let the regulars here give you a recommendation on them.

He has a roommate who owns a Mac and the guy whines to both of us all day about how bootcamp drivers aren't compatible with all his weird development tools and CAD programs and MIDI thingies, so there's no chance I can talk my friend into it, nor do I think I necessarily should. If any regulars know how best I can get something 13-15inch Macbook-like from Asus/Toshiba/etc. that has enough premiums like nice SSD/display/CPU at the $2000 price point I'm all ears.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zero VGS posted:

My friend is a researcher at a lab and they are allowing him to get any laptop within $2000 and he'll be reimbursed.

He doesn't play videogames but he programs and watches movies. He wants the maximum value with the least depreciation since he is allowed to sell it down the line. But he also doesn't want a Mac.

He's looking for build quality, battery life, and hopefully a 1080p screen, and for the thing to be on the smaller side, not a huge gaming laptop. I figure the best ways to hit $2k is with build quality, SSD, and ram, but I haven't been following the laptop market in years.

This is a no brainer, tell him to get a T440s configured with 1080p screen, unless he really wants a quad core processor, in which case a T440p configured with 1080p screen and quad core processor. (And the Intel 2x2 wifi card option.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

shrughes posted:

This is a no brainer, tell him to get a T440s configured with 1080p screen, unless he really wants a quad core processor, in which case a T440p configured with 1080p screen and quad core processor. (And the Intel 2x2 wifi card option.)

Thanks, it looks like with the i7, 9 cells worth of front and back battery, 8gb ram, a 512gb SSD, it falls at $1907 which should be perfect.

Edit: Uhg, he says 14 inch is actually too big for him (he's a tiny Asian to be fair) and the 13"-inch MacBook retina would be ideal but he doesn't want Bootcamp or to have a laptop that everyone else in the lab has.

He says he's leaning towards the Acer Aspire S7-392-6411 which seems good to me except for the weird dual 64gb SSD setup.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, it looks like with the i7, 9 cells worth of front and back battery, 8gb ram, a 512gb SSD, it falls at $1907 which should be perfect.

Edit: Uhg, he says 14 inch is actually too big for him (he's a tiny Asian to be fair) and the 13"-inch MacBook retina would be ideal but he doesn't want Bootcamp or to have a laptop that everyone else in the lab has.

He says he's leaning towards the Acer Aspire S7-392-6411 which seems good to me except for the weird dual 64gb SSD setup.

Eh, if that Acer is good enough for him, have him check a Yoga 2 Pro. For $1200, you get an i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD, in stock right now at bestbuy.com.