Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Baconroll posted:

Passed the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) Database 11g exam earlier this week. The exam content is about 65% just RMAN/backup/recovery/flashback and then small chunks of memory management/tuning/scheduler/resource manager to top it up to 100%.

My main tip for preparing for this exam is to try everything on a crash and burn test database. I must have done 100 backups/restores and tried all the scenarios to cause failures and fix it for real.

Thanks for this. I'm studying for Oracle certs myself. I'll shell out for the Transcender practice exams and report back.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

Net+ certified, looking for CCNA cert sometime this year.

I have been looking hard at training materials and study guides and I have read a lot of good things about Todd Lammle's books. I am about to purchase the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120

Does anyone have experience with this book? Guaranteed results or my money back?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

incoherent posted:

Just get one and focus on server infrastructure, here is a really good explanation from a previous page

I read this on another site

quote:

685 --> Exam geared toward troubleshooting Windows 7 in the realm of "desktop support". Little focus on deployment, more focus on technical support.

680 --> Configuring & a great deal about deployment. This is an exam suited for someone looking to deploy Windows 7 & understand it's facets at the "Enterprise Desktop level"

Correct enough?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It appears you've gotten them swapped. Just go the 680. Based off the exam objectives for the 685, they're going to assume you've done the 70-680 test (which is not out of the question) and have supported windows 7 for quite a while. The 70-680 will provide you an understanding of the features and functions of windows 7, basically a bedrock of microsoft desktop technology.

If you shoot directly for the 685 know this: It will significantly harder than the 680, even if they tread over the same objectives.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

lifenomad posted:

Net+ certified, looking for CCNA cert sometime this year.

I have been looking hard at training materials and study guides and I have read a lot of good things about Todd Lammle's books. I am about to purchase the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120

Does anyone have experience with this book? Guaranteed results or my money back?

I used the old CCNA lammle book for the old icnd1 and new icnd2. Apart from the missing topics for the new icnd2 i found the books brilliant. There were some mistakes in the books with the Q&A at the end of each chapter so keep an eye out for that. The book is very good at explaining things and the Q&A stuff gives you an idea of whether you got the info you needed.

I found CBT nuggets was good for getting the initial concept but it didn't go into the detail you need which the book did.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

incoherent posted:

It appears you've gotten them swapped. Just go the 680. Based off the exam objectives for the 685, they're going to assume you've done the 70-680 test (which is not out of the question) and have supported windows 7 for quite a while. The 70-680 will provide you an understanding of the features and functions of windows 7, basically a bedrock of microsoft desktop technology.

If you shoot directly for the 685 know this: It will significantly harder than the 680, even if they tread over the same objectives.

Alright, so is this the best book for that? http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?isbn=9780735627086

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Yup. Self-paced exams books are the go-to starting point. However to succeed on the any microsoft test you're going to need to read that book, do a transcender study test (to prepare you for Microsoft Test Logic), and a CBT to get the objectives down. Fortunately, there is a completely FREE 70-680 cbt for you to watch here.

I'd also recommend cross-reading another 70-690 book, Like the 70-680 Rapid review book from microsoft. Rapid reviews are literally bullet point breakdowns, but only read it after you've done the self-paced. Also never skip a chapter because you just "know" because there will be some goddamn gotcha in a paragraph that they'll test you on.

Then, meet back here in ~4ish months and tell us how much you've passed by.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

ToG posted:

I used the old CCNA lammle book...

Thanks for the info.

Also, I don't really want to provide electricity for, or room for, old cisco networking gear just to practice IOS commands on. I found this network simulator http://netsimk.com/ and it seems to be quite good.

Anyone else have any insight on this network simulator? I believe the Lammle books come with a free simulator as well.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

incoherent posted:

He's only got 2 months to do it in along with 2 other certs. So, do all that but fast.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Amphion posted:

He's only got 2 months to do it in along with 2 other certs. So, do all that but fast.

I had a co-worker who studied for and passed the ITIL cert exam in a week. He said it was the most mind-numbing bit of idiocy he'd ever experienced and was just happy to get it out of the way.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

lifenomad posted:

Thanks for the info.

Also, I don't really want to provide electricity for, or room for, old cisco networking gear just to practice IOS commands on. I found this network simulator http://netsimk.com/ and it seems to be quite good.

Anyone else have any insight on this network simulator? I believe the Lammle books come with a free simulator as well.
GNS3.

Just make sure you have a legally-acquired IOS image handy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

incoherent posted:

Yup. Self-paced exams books are the go-to starting point. However to succeed on the any microsoft test you're going to need to read that book, do a transcender study test (to prepare you for Microsoft Test Logic), and a CBT to get the objectives down. Fortunately, there is a completely FREE 70-680 cbt for you to watch here.

I'd also recommend cross-reading another 70-690 book, Like the 70-680 Rapid review book from microsoft. Rapid reviews are literally bullet point breakdowns, but only read it after you've done the self-paced. Also never skip a chapter because you just "know" because there will be some goddamn gotcha in a paragraph that they'll test you on.

Thanks for all the input, really appreciated.

Amphion posted:

Already got the books on order, going to be doing some serious studying.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I had a co-worker who studied for and passed the ITIL cert exam in a week. He said it was the most mind-numbing bit of idiocy he'd ever experienced and was just happy to get it out of the way.

Mind-numbing I can deal with. I'll be happy if I can get it done in a week.

I'm planning on Sec+, then MCTS, then ITIL, in that order.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Personally I would get the annoying one out of the way first simply so that it wasn't waiting in the wings as it were. As for Sec+, that test was just all kinds of hosed up when I took it. I read three books, took a dozen practice tests, and studied hard-core for about two months and I still just barely passed it. I can't remember specific parts (and can't tell you even if I did), but the questions in the exam came out of left field and covered things that were never mentioned in any of the books, or were briefly mentioned and then never covered again. And of course about 1/2 of the questions were on those parts. There were quite a few questions I just guessed at, because I had absolutely no loving clue what they were asking. It wasn't like the lifetime cert version, which had 40% of the questions coming directly from the Network+ exam, with another 40% so stupidly obvious that you didn't really have to think about the answer too hard.

There is no way in hell that I am ever letting the Sec+ cert expire if I can help it. I shudder just thinking about re-taking it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Due to a stupid number of snow-related closures, I have been self-studying for ICND2, and have been moving significantly faster than my CC course schedule- I hope to have my CCNA ready to put on the CV by the end of March. So- assuming baseline CCNA knowledge (which might be optimistic for now, but hey), how long would the "subject" CCNA certs take to study for as compared to the CCNA R+S? CCNA Security's the big one I'd be looking for, since a security cert seems to be a really, really big HR hurdle- especially for DoD contractors (which there are a ton of in the area).

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Today I passed two MTA certs, Windows Operating System fundamentals and Security fundamentals.

I failed the Networking one by 10% :( definitely need to brush up there. Hopefully I can get the test booked in with the 'second shot' scheme.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Just to double check , if I'm studying for VCP I should start with Mastering VSphere 5.5 by Scott Lowe? We do a lot of VMWare stuff at my current job and it seems like a great time to get started with it, since I'd be able to get some hands on experience pretty easily.

quote:

I hope to have my CCNA ready to put on the CV by the end of March. So- assuming baseline CCNA knowledge (which might be optimistic for now, but hey), how long would the "subject" CCNA certs take to study for as compared to the CCNA R+S?

I spent a little bit of time (about a week) on CCNA Voice right after I finished the CCNA. It'll be faster, but it depends on your schedule, etc. I was expecting it to take about 60%? of the time ICND1-2 did, but I dropped it fairly quickly due to losing interest so YMMV.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Welp, the testing center here just started accepting appointments again, so I scheduled TSHOOT for the 28th. Any tips? I was considering trying out some of the GNS3vault labs.

Also been cruising through CISSP material and it seems like pretty basic stuff if you've worked in a security position at all. I scored like an 85% on the preliminary exam.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Cisco still send out those neat wallet cards and paper certificates if you re-certify?

I reupped my CCNA and nothing. Maybe uncle Cisco is disappointed with my lack of initiative and progress :(

Thinking about going ahead with CISSP myself. I'm working with so many CISSPs that make twice what I do that don't really know much about the technical side of things so I dunno, maybe that's something I could do.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you wanted to go in a security role, auditing perhaps, would CCNA Security be worth getting before CISSP/CISA?

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Thanks for all the input, really appreciated.

Already got the books on order, going to be doing some serious studying.

Mind-numbing I can deal with. I'll be happy if I can get it done in a week.

With the 70-680 I found that being incredibly, almost obnoxiously familiar with the process of imaging/deploying windows 7 to be the best study method. Also take the Transcender practice exams because yeah, Microsoft Test Logic is awful and they can burn in hell with Cisco for encouraging it in other vendor tests.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

While searching for more materials to purchase for my CCNA studies, I came across a video series by Chris Bryant. His videos are served online by udemy.com, and he's got quite a number of highly rated reviews.

Right now they are running a coupon code of "2MILLION" that runs out tonight at midnight that takes 70% off their courses. I got Chris Bryant's "CCNA Boot Camp" which includes 200 videos for $37 (as compared to $125 normally).

So far the videos are pretty decent, and easy to follow along.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

With the 70-680 I found that being incredibly, almost obnoxiously familiar with the process of imaging/deploying windows 7 to be the best study method. Also take the Transcender practice exams because yeah, Microsoft Test Logic is awful and they can burn in hell with Cisco for encouraging it in other vendor tests.

Thanks for that input.

Is the ITIL 2011 Syllabus current, or even the same as v3? I'm having trouble finding the right book for studying for that. Of course, I found the whole 5 book set but would rather not have to buy that whole thing.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

icehewk posted:

If you wanted to go in a security role, auditing perhaps, would CCNA Security be worth getting before CISSP/CISA?

If you are wanting to go into auditing and get your foot in the door, I'd start with the CISA/CISSP then start down a technical route to augment.

Is auditing really what you want to do long term?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

psydude posted:

Welp, the testing center here just started accepting appointments again, so I scheduled TSHOOT for the 28th. Any tips? I was considering trying out some of the GNS3vault labs.

Do that.

Also, know the topology. The topology for the routers is well known and published on Cisco's website. You should be familiar with which routers are running which routing protocols, which routers are running IPv4/IPv6, which router is NATing, which routers run OSPF/EIGRP, etc. Know it well.

Design a methodology. Approach each ticket the same way, whether it's ping X and keep pinging until you see where the ping fails or something else, just make sure you approach each ticket the same way. Also, don't go all crazy and get into debug ip ospf adj and stuff before you've checked if the interface is up (show ip int br is your friend) and the interface is sending hellos (has an IP in the same subnet if OSPFv2, OSPF over frame relay network type that needs static neighbor statements, no passive-interface, etc.). Check the easy stuff first and you'll knock it out. I found it pretty easy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm halfway down the auditing path now, I kind of want to do it from the other end TBQH. I'm part of the technical team that comes in behind our CISSP guys and implements this and that for clients if they need them. Quite frankly I think the guys I work with get paid more for doing less, but that's just me.

Okay maybe they do more paperwork.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Protokoll posted:

Do that.

Also, know the topology. The topology for the routers is well known and published on Cisco's website. You should be familiar with which routers are running which routing protocols, which routers are running IPv4/IPv6, which router is NATing, which routers run OSPF/EIGRP, etc. Know it well.

Design a methodology. Approach each ticket the same way, whether it's ping X and keep pinging until you see where the ping fails or something else, just make sure you approach each ticket the same way. Also, don't go all crazy and get into debug ip ospf adj and stuff before you've checked if the interface is up (show ip int br is your friend) and the interface is sending hellos (has an IP in the same subnet if OSPFv2, OSPF over frame relay network type that needs static neighbor statements, no passive-interface, etc.). Check the easy stuff first and you'll knock it out. I found it pretty easy.

I did the demo on the website and the format is kind of interesting. I thought you'd have to actually go in and fix the problems, but I guess not. I also watched a video on the "abort" strategy, so I'll give that a shot, too.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

icehewk posted:

I was debating whether to go for CCNA Security of CISSP first.

I got my CCNA Security (and then CCNP Security) pretty quickly. I think CCNA Security was probably the easiest exam I've taken out of all of it. If you want to get something done quick I'd say hit CCNA Security before the CISSP. Keith Barker's videos on CBT Nuggets and the official book (that he wrote too) were probably the best CBT Nuggets I've seen next to Jeremy Ciorra's CCNA R&S nuggets.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WGU related, not so much certification related, but I'm almost done with WGU. All I have left is my capstone and I can find no motivation to finish. I'm just giving no fucks right now. When I started 3 years ago I was making 42K a year doing helpdesk level IT bullshit in a call center replacing phones and keyboards and making new AD user accounts. I felt I needed that degree to get out of there and started with WGU. 3 years and 2 promotions later I've got a Sr. Sys Admin title, making a commensurate salary and working on really interesting projects that have global reach in the company. Mentally I'm saying 'What's the point?' I've come this far though, need to get it over with. Maybe I just need some random internet people to yell at me

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Just do it. What happens if you ever lose that job?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You're going to get that far out and quit 6 credits away from a degree? I don't know your program but my capstone is like a 12 page paper and a powerpoint. Not pleasant to do on dry material but c'mon now. Get it done, get it over with, enjoy having a bachelor's to fall back on to satisfy any HR requirements if you want to job hop later.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

skipdogg posted:

WGU related, not so much certification related, but I'm almost done with WGU. All I have left is my capstone and I can find no motivation to finish. I'm just giving no fucks right now. When I started 3 years ago I was making 42K a year doing helpdesk level IT bullshit in a call center replacing phones and keyboards and making new AD user accounts. I felt I needed that degree to get out of there and started with WGU. 3 years and 2 promotions later I've got a Sr. Sys Admin title, making a commensurate salary and working on really interesting projects that have global reach in the company. Mentally I'm saying 'What's the point?' I've come this far though, need to get it over with. Maybe I just need some random internet people to yell at me

Get your loving degree.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
While its less likely in your case given your 'experienced' status, having that BS will still give you a edge in any future dealings with your current employer or future ones. Don't let six or ten or whatever uncompleted credits stop you from landing a different opportunity or getting a serious raise because you didn't have the experience AND credentials to demand it.

Finish the degree and hang that fucker on your wall like a war trophy.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

skipdogg posted:

You've just run a marathon and are questioning whether or not you should stop 100 yards from the finish. Capstones are a loving joke. You need this - if not for your current job, at least for your next one and every one after that. Run, dammit!

e: And hang that diploma on your wall like the snobs who slap the 26.2 stickers on their cars. You earned that poo poo!

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 13, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're too lazy to do the undergrad capstone when it's the only thing you have left to do?

e: I didn't even know hanging your diplomas on your wall at work was a thing until I saw that the shitbag slacker at my last job had put both his bachelor's AND master's from Strayer on his cubicle wall.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 14, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Skipdogg you pussy stop being such a pussy.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psydude posted:

e: I didn't even know hanging your diplomas on your wall at work was a thing until I saw that the shitbag slacker at my last job had put both his bachelor's AND master's from Strayer on his cubicle wall.

Hanging a Bachelor's at work is a bit weird. Might as well put up a photocopy of your driver's license. I meant hang it at home.

Hanging your Master's at work is much more common, though, but only if you have your own office. (I work at a place where most people with Master's degrees get to sit in a cube farm like everyone else.)

I'm not familiar with Strayer. Is that one of those colleges that advertises their IT programs on TV with people typing on holographic keyboards and staring intensely at a screensaver from The Matrix?

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 14, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's a for-profit diploma-mill. It's a good way to spot bad decisionmaking in an age where non-profit, regionally accredited schools like UMUC and WGU are widely available and much more affordable.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Anything under a doctorate and I'd probably consider you a wanker for having it in your office on full display outside of 'I got it last week, yay!' stuff. Even then I'd be iffy.

There's just something...off about it. Like the type of person that would display a bachelor's on their office would also be the type of person to take titles way too seriously.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Stanos posted:

There's just something...off about it. Like the type of person that would display a bachelor's on their office would also be the type of person to take titles way too seriously.

I disagree.

Sincerely,
Cenodoxus, BSBA CCENT CCNA MCSE RHCE CISSP O.B.E. A+ Net+ PMP PMI-ACP, Certified Lean Six Sigma :siren: Black Belt :siren:
Senior Level 2 Executive Helpdesk Systems Integration Architect

e: Another reason I don't hang my Bachelor's at work is because it says "Bachelor of Science in Business Administration". loving business college couldn't even make it say "Management", let alone "Management Information Systems". :(

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

I disagree.

Sincerely,
Cenodoxus, BSBA CCENT CCNA MCSE RHCE CISSP O.B.E. A+ Net+ PMP PMI-ACP, Certified Lean Six Sigma :siren: Black Belt :siren:
Senior Level 2 Executive Helpdesk Systems Integration Architect

e: Another reason I don't hang my Bachelor's at work is because it says "Bachelor of Science in Business Administration". loving business college couldn't even make it say "Management", let alone "Management Information Systems". :(

Unless it's a professional degree, your major/area of concentration is never listed. So if you have a Masters of Public Policy, your diploma will actually say "Master of Public Policy". On the other hand, if you have a MS in, say, Physics, your diploma will only read "Master of Science". As far as business schools go, the degree awarded for undergraduate study is BSBA (just like yours states), not a BS.

e: You guys are totally right about the titles thing. The worthless employee in question always signed his emails "Sr. Network Engineer" even though he wasn't trusted with anything other than backups and patching.

psydude fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 14, 2014