Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
A

Tomn posted:

Just as long as we don't become the business-driven exec, always focusing on work to kit out his neglected family in luxury.

"Sorry, honey, I can't come home for dinner tonight, El just dropped another boatload of minotaurs into my lap. Tell the kids I love them."
Mom and Naomi can keep each other company, we can have some kids with Naomi as well so she isn't lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Sacred words sound like it could mean the language of Melachim in general is manifested as power / magic in this realm. So only EL temple approved words are fit for use, whatever Bareen was shouting about might just be taught by Xuriel or someone. Did Tudiya cast any of her spells as well? I don't think so right?

It's possible she could use the language for her own ends, and that a possible schism of Melachim taught it to her. I will infer from Ishamal's previous statements that her ability to use it was possible by human sacrifices she performed, like Raziel in Soul Reaver or something, and not from an innate source of power like Might.

The following is unrelated, but I found them while reviewing Bareen's fight and thought they were too good to languish without a second posting:

Diogines posted:

L. ELLLLLLL! But I have previously expressed doubts about El, but changed my mind now, sincerely, or in desperation, I will tell Diog, even though he is not enough of a lunatic to keep track of my professed views all game. There is NO way he or anyone would waste their time doing that, nope, never! All of those "do you believe" posts were just for fun!

Editors note: It is entirely possible, yay, probable that my expressed views on this topic DON'T actually matter at all and Diog just asked because he wanted a rough idea of what we thought about the world and those questions let him know. Or not. Or both. Or Diog posted this all just to screw with us and make us doubtful and paranoid.

Editors supplemental note: What a jackass.

Editors additional supplemental note: Yeah, we know.

Diogines posted:

Perhaps it is a device to cause you to re-assess your views and decide how you feel about things, so you can greater get into Enkidel's head and have more fun?

Or not!

Or a red herring!

Or all of the above!

Or not!

Or none of the above!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Voting A. Get married, get settled, then take the balls back out for their promised wealth.

Odds are we will be able to take out a much better equipped team after what we pulled at the Goblin cave.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I already voted, but we should keep the same gang together. They stuck with us even when we told them that our powers hadn't come in yet and were willing to risk their lives (and lose them) for an adventure with them. Dropping anyone for more blooded or better equipped people who only want to go because they know we have great might would be pretty lovely. We have two spots in the team. Fill those and only those, unless someone wants out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ShotgunWillie posted:

I already voted, but we should keep the same gang together. They stuck with us even when we told them that our powers hadn't come in yet and were willing to risk their lives (and lose them) for an adventure with them. Dropping anyone for more blooded or better equipped people who only want to go because they know we have great might would be pretty lovely. We have two spots in the team. Fill those and only those, unless someone wants out.
Agreed. I'm sure injury will gradually cause spots to open up, and we may even want to increase the size of the band eventually. That's how we'll get more Mighty types in. But we keep the loyal core intact.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

ShotgunWillie posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. These guys joined the group and trained with us without the expectation that we would be able to pummel a demon with our bare hands and should be rewarded well in doing so. It's only fair.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We're going to be fighting stronger and stronger monsters. Those who aren't blooded aren't going to be able to cut it. Risking their lives because we want to be fair seems kind of twisted. They can tend the pack animals if we really want to keep them.

Edit: we don't need to replace all the non-blooded, and not all right away (even if it were possible) but we should look at transitioning.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Most definitely sticking with the same Balls. Brave bastards faced a demon with us. I'd take brave, loyal soldiers over better equipped men any day. They will all become well armed and armored after a few seasons monster hunting.

I don't really expect to face anything too far beyond what a group of disciplined men can handle. It's not like we are going to go hunt Asherah or march into the Minotaur camps anytime soon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tsyni posted:

We're going to be fighting stronger and stronger monsters. Those who aren't blooded aren't going to be able to cut it. Risking their lives because we want to be fair seems kind of twisted. They can tend the pack animals if we really want to keep them.

They aren't children, they can decide for themselves.

I suspect many of the non-blooded never intended to go past the initial 6 months anyway. They are young men starting out as farmers and artisans. Not that much different from our fletcher and potter, or even from our failed-farmer slaves. 6 months with us lets them build up a nest egg that would take years to build otherwise. Money they can use to buy tools, a shop, a house, or a bigger farm. Adventure isn't a lifestyle for them, it is an investment.

If we stop burning every drat thing in sacrificial fires they'll be able to cash out, and many will.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
No, burn everything. They are in this for life, whether they want to or not.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A number of people have said to only replace the two men lost. A much smaller number suggested seeking more Mighty Sons and growing your band. If you have an opinion, share it. Replacing your losses only is currently winning by a good amount.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm happy with us just replacing the lost/injured.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Replace the dead/injured, with Mighty Sons or even Aaron if we can.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

They aren't children, they can decide for themselves

We're the leader, so we decide. We minimize our casualties with more mighty men, and maximize the monsters we can handle.

When we started out we took what we could get, but let's leave some mighty volunteers (new ones) in training so when we get back we have the option to swap some in.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

If possible, replace with one might son and one of the doctors-in-training.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Replace the men we lost only

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Opinion: Only replace lost men or men who quit (I doubt any would). I don't have a preference on how the new men are picked. Could be the same way we picked them before. We will probably have our pick of mighty sons. Also, I don't think this needs to be said, but Lullaya can't come join our club. There is only 1 rule in our club, no Lullaya.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FoxTerrier posted:

Paging doctor Puabi :getin:

Rhymenoceros
Nov 16, 2008
Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will.
I vote for more mighty sons. Around 300 would be about right methinks.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

hollylolly posted:

Replace the dead/injured, with Mighty Sons or even Aaron if we can.

This is my vote as well . No time for training so only the best of the best for now, or go two men down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The problem with any replacements at this point is that they won't have trained with us. Mighty sons will have more training than others, but no one in Zepath is really trained to fight as a unit.

Except Danal.

We're only down 2 out of 30, we still have a huge group. I'm not sure we need replacements at all.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Replace only the missing, keeping our active number at 30. But recruit and see if the Agamemnon training team will train a cadre while we are in the field. It doesn't even matter if we end up leading them. Having competing bands would not necessarily be bad. Or having a "bench".
More Baseless Speculation brought to you for you scrolling pleasure from Team :spergin:

Tudiya's answers to our some questions about the Demon:
"You slew a lesser demon, one sent to fight you I think."
In response to being asked about the presence we felt.
"You likely felt the evil that had been done in the place."
And again...
"You broke it's altar and slew it's servants. I imagine that it was angry."

This implies a conscious Demonic presence prior to the manifestation of the Zviv, but other answers from Tudiya don't confirm this or even recognize it. The "It" and the Zviv are not same for us or for Tudiya, but he does not acknowledge this.

"Evil exist to test men's virtue and the strength of our hearts. To give men a chance for greatness."

This is a basic premise for understanding Tudiya's world view and actions. He will test others this way or view events in his own life as a test of his own faith.

"I think you may be confused my son, your Blood seems to have gained much potency all at once. Your senses are likely overwhelmed from all of the vibrancy of the city, much more goes on here than the river side you walked for days."

By this and his referring questions about what happened to us and what should be done to Ishamal it seems that this is without precedent for Tudiya. He does not seem to be able to consider that we actually died and came back to life.

One possibility is that we had resolved to defeat the Zviv or die trying and then we called on El. It did kill us and at the same time we were a sacrificial offering. He does not understand why we suffered since if we suffered we should have been killed, but he also cannot seem to hear that in fact we were killed. Can't blame him really.

I am not sure what he is saying about the river here. It is one of the most interesting answers to me. Have we crossed a river and are now on the same side as Tudiya?

From the Battle of ToM
Tudiya:
LAMUT (to die?) [Tudiya may have literally been shouting "DIE!" at Bareen.]
EFFECT:
You feel your bones shake, his words envelope you as if you could reach out and touch them. A moment ago a man stood in front of Tudiya, now where that adventurer stood, there is a shower of blood and gore as the man explodes in a shower of flesh, coating all around them.

Bareen:
LEHITYASER (I dunno. "judgment?" Maybe one of our language scholars can give a better meaning. It makes me think of Bareen as a kind of Judge Dredd with a Demonically fueled Magneto ideology or something.)
EFFECT:
Three Mighty Men charging a few steps behind Tudiya fall over, clutch their sides and scream as if in agonizing pain.
You feel your bones shake and see two more of the charging Mighty Men fall to the ground, screaming as if in horrible agony and clutching at themselves, joining the three which were reduced to such a state a few moments ago, Bareen has taken five Mighty Men out of the fight so far.

We also have the psychic attack from the Zviv. Snarls and Enki may have been protected by the Citrusy Drink, or just due to some natural fortitude.

From this it seems clear that Bareen uses Power Words. Tudiya just doesn't consider them Sacred. Whether this is because of the particular vocabulary or the way they are powered we don't know. There might be Words passed down through various families and traditions. They might each view only their own Words as sacred.

Though EL means god, it comes from words for Might, Strength, Power and such and seems to have that effect among others.

Code Team :spergin:
Do Not Destroy
Heart Full of El
Spit in Death's Eye
Develop a Sense of Humor
Don't be a drat Fool

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

We're the leader, so we decide. We minimize our casualties with more mighty men, and maximize the monsters we can handle.

When we started out we took what we could get, but let's leave some mighty volunteers (new ones) in training so when we get back we have the option to swap some in.

Pretty much this. Replace the men lost, preferably with Mighty Sons or adventurers who had training in a shield wall. Any others will have to train much like our group did before we set out.

I'm fine with expanding the band at a later point, but those who want to join will have to go through the same training regimen as everyone else. We can make the band as a yearly occurrence for the farmers/artisans looking to make a few extra bucks, and do the usual Mighty Hunts the rest of the year, at least until Enkidel, Inc. gets up and running.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

We should only replace the lost. Like I said before, these were the men who were willing to take a chance with us when we WEREN'T Mighty, who trained for 2 long months with us, who stood beside us when a loving demon burst out of the corpse of an ogre.
You can't ask for much more than that in terms of bravery and loyalty.
No man would willingly cut off his own balls, and we shouldn't either. :colbert:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Does it make them loyal or just more desperate/foolhardy than those who didn't volunteer. I can appreciate the loyalty argument, but I think it just paves the way for some tough choices in the future when more non-blooded die.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tsyni posted:

Edit: we don't need to replace all the non-blooded, and not all right away (even if it were possible) but we should look at transitioning.

Tsyni posted:

Does it make them loyal or just more desperate/foolhardy than those who didn't volunteer. I can appreciate the loyalty argument, but I think it just paves the way for some tough choices in the future when more non-blooded die.

I really don't think there's any need to worry so far into the future (i.e. about long term replacement strategies and future risks). There's no reason to continue The Ballls much longer than our original six months, once we've made everyone sufficiently wealthy and proud.

Most of our lads have regular careers and responsibilities to return to soon enough. The Mighty Sons will grow into their Might and have their own patrol before long as well. Everyone knows this is basically a temporary arrangement. We may decide to put some of the Mighty Sons into a smaller patrol later, but that would be something different.

That, and of course the fact that this world changes on a dime so trying to plan beyond the next couple turns is largely futile.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm not saying they had the purest motives in joining us. Sure, to some of them, we were the first ones to let them sign up, others were just willing to roll the dice for glory and riches, and there were probably a few who thought we were full of poo poo about not being Mighty.

But, the fact remains that when faced with waves of goblins, these men acquitted themselves. When an unspeakable eldritch horror from the stories of old rose up, nobody broke formation and ran for it, even when things were beginning to seem hopeless, Jassiel was thrown into the wall, and we hadn't yet unlocked Power Word: El.
The demon fight is what speaks volumes to me, in all honesty.

Opportunity, glory and riches might have been why they came, but it took Balls to fight and maintain discipline when Zviv arrived.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

FoxTerrier posted:

This is my vote.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

It's not like they are just all regular joe schmo farmers. Several of them are at least a little Blooded, and now experienced with real battle. Loyalty is very important if you consider the actions of Urias after the ambush at the cave entrance, and what could have happened if he ran down there by himself. We need a unified fighting force, and the training these men had helped us to control them and led us to victory. It would be great to have more Mighty Sons, but we can't have them walk all over us or go off from the group because they feel like they can and get us into situations where Blooded sons die.

That being said we can probably better the ratio in our group and put some of the experienced non Mighty people into a second group in subsequent hunts. We could even make it a business enterprise of a sort, whoring our Might out so that non Might men can go out and earn some bucks or glory, like a safari of sorts.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Question for Tudiya

Would you object to us having Danal join the Balls?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Sogol posted:

I am not sure what he is saying about the river here. It is one of the most interesting answers to me. Have we crossed a river and are now on the same side as Tudiya?

The goblin cave was located right next to a river. Zepath is a busy place with many people, compared to the desolate wasteland that was the trade route. The city's business is overloading our senses.

El, or someone else on his team, told us to save for years of hardship. Possibly referring to Might. We went on to fight the demon, and halfway through the battle find out we bit off more than we can chew. We resort to our final line of defense, a single casting of a Mighty Man spell. It's way more powerful than what we did to save Snarl's life, we instantly deplete our reserves and catch our soul (?) on fire. El takes pity on us, reverts the damage, tops us off with Might, and matures our spirit so that he doesn't have to save our rear end every time we try to practice magic. That's why we could lift those boulders with ease, and also explains why we don't eat like an elephant any more. I do not think we accidentally sacrificed ourself to El.

Some time in the near future we should ask Ishamal is this assessment is correct, and whether he's willing to teach us now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, I don't want to increase the size of our Balls now. I just think it might be a long-term option after a few more successful hunts, after a timeskip or two.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lets go ahead and Marry Naomi now, leave the day after and replace just our losses. Though I will add in an extra vote for buy a couple slaves to bring along for us to eat when need.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's too far fetched to imagine us travelling across the lands with a core of 10-20 mighty men. We planned to get foreskins for 400 turns, after all.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

the_steve posted:

No man would willingly cut off his own balls, and we shouldn't either. :colbert:[/b]

A slogan I can get behind.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Voting for B: continue harvesting foreskins. We did nothing but slaughter a bunch of child-sized monsters and then shot a chained ogre while beyond its reach. El killed the demon, not us.

We should spend a turn chatting with Ishamal, tell Naomi that we've been freed from our bride price but want to show she's worth the effort anyway, and then build up enough cash to buy some property immediately after the wedding.

Diogines posted:

A number of people have said to only replace the two men lost. A much smaller number suggested seeking more Mighty Sons and growing your band. If you have an opinion, share it. Replacing your losses only is currently winning by a good amount.

I'd like to replace the two we lost for now, but make whatever preparations we need in order to have trained men waiting for us on our return in case we face even more losses. Maybe have Danal and Ishamal start a rumor that we're seeking anyone willing to fight in the name of El (and wealth), and then we pick and choose among those who come forward upon our return.

Keep in mind that we aren't limited to just Mighty Sons at this point: that was only a stipulation of our original deal.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Voting A.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Question for Diog: did we ever tell Tudiya of the :airquote:rumors:airquote: we heard about King Moron poo poo talking Zepath and telling his people that we were overrun with witches and heretics walking the streets?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

No replacements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Maybe we can choose the replacements through a drinking game at our wedding.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2014