Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

catlord posted:

Ahahaha, my external hard drive shat itself yesterday, which it terrible since I had all my doom stuff over there. Just a bit over 3 gigs of Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife mods, gone. The upside to redownloading, they're small files. The downside, of course, is that that'll take loving forever due to the sheer number of them.
Do what I did in this scenario, and just focus on re-downloading the ones you can see yourself replaying in the near future.

Losing my old harddrive made me realise how many lovely Doom WADs I'd tried and hated over the years. If you're anything like me, going through the list and looking these files up will make you think "OK this was cool at the time but I'm bored of it now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Zero Star posted:

Do what I did in this scenario, and just focus on re-downloading the ones you can see yourself replaying in the near future.

Losing my old harddrive made me realise how many lovely Doom WADs I'd tried and hated over the years. If you're anything like me, going through the list and looking these files up will make you think "OK this was cool at the time but I'm bored of it now".

Oh, absolutely. In fact, I'm more bothered by losing my saves. Including the one from near the very end of Scythe2 that I've been working on for... gently caress, like a year.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Maybe I'm not as invested into a particular savegame, but... if I lose a save towards the end of the mod, I just use the IDCLEV cheat to warp to the beginning of whatever level I was last on, then use cheats to bring my inventory back to whatever approximate state it was in when I lost the save.

Okay, on one hand it doesn't feel quite the same, but on the other hand, it's a good way to replicate the state you would be in, had you progressed fairly.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Zero Star posted:

Maybe I'm not as invested into a particular savegame, but... if I lose a save towards the end of the mod, I just use the IDCLEV cheat to warp to the beginning of whatever level I was last on, then use cheats to bring my inventory back to whatever approximate state it was in when I lost the save.

Okay, on one hand it doesn't feel quite the same, but on the other hand, it's a good way to replicate the state you would be in, had you progressed fairly.

Yeah, I was near the start of an episode, and it forces a pistol start on you at the beginning of them, so it shouldn't be too much hassle. And hey, last page had an updated mod list for the OP, so I should be able to grab the best of what I had.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Get some cloud backup bro

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just pistol start it dude

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Fag Boy Jim posted:

just pistol start it dude

Seriously. This is the best way to play the game, try it! Upon death, restart the level you're on with the pistol.

Autosave is the worst feature of zdoom, IMO.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I added the pistolstart.wad to my recomposing of the Doom Mods section but Kins has been sleeping or something

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

I added the pistolstart.wad to my recomposing of the Doom Mods section but Kins has been sleeping or something
I've been busy, sorry. :( I'll try and fix 'er up tonight.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Bouchacha posted:

Thanks, I was getting tired of reposting that :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Added the suggestions to the OP. Anything else?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I forgot to add Project MSX and the DoomRL arsenal. I love describing the latter as "Now you can play Doom: the Roguelike: the First Person Shooter"

edit: you give me too much credit in the OP dude, just remove the quotes and say I contributed :)

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 10, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Added the suggestions to the OP. Anything else?

Maybe a section on recommended modding tools?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for good settings for Zandronum for a buddy and I playing through various WADs together? We tried some vanilla doom2.wad, and it was kind of weird. I had deathmatch weapons or something enabled so there were two BFGs right at the start of map 01. I still want it to be tough, but still to be enough guns/ammo for the two of us.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

apophenium posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good settings for Zandronum for a buddy and I playing through various WADs together? We tried some vanilla doom2.wad, and it was kind of weird. I had deathmatch weapons or something enabled so there were two BFGs right at the start of map 01. I still want it to be tough, but still to be enough guns/ammo for the two of us.

sv_coop_spactorspawn 1 will disable multiplayer weapon/item/enemy spawns, so you can get a singleplayer experience with it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
In today's news, I just found that according to some official Wolfenstein 3D hint book, Billy Blaze - AKA Commander Keen - is BJ's grandson. Doomguy is related to them too, somehow.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cobweb Heart posted:

In today's news, I just found that according to some official Wolfenstein 3D hint book, Billy Blaze - AKA Commander Keen - is BJ's grandson. Doomguy is related to them too, somehow.

The Doomguy in Doom 2 RPG (which I've never played but apparently it was fun) was called John Blazcowicz, so there's the link I suppose.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Doomguy in Doom 2 RPG (which I've never played but apparently it was fun) was called John Blazcowicz, so there's the link I suppose.

I didn't get to play the second one, but Doom RPG 1 was surprisingly good and fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The only acceptable name for Doomguy is "Flynn Taggart". :colbert:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm pretty sure that Commander Keen's grandfather being B.J. Blazkowicz is referenced somewhere in one of the later Keen games too.

Is there any way to play Doom RPG 2 without having an iOS device? I used to play the hell out of the original on my Sony Ericsson phone, and I played 2 on my 1st gen iPod touch, but both devices have been dead a long time. I'm on Android now if that matters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't get to play the second one, but Doom RPG 1 was surprisingly good and fun.

The second one was a lot less good and fun.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The only acceptable name for Doomguy is "Flynn Taggart". :colbert:

No, it's "John Stalvern". :smugbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The only acceptable name for Doomguy is loving Doomguy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

The only acceptable name for Doomguy is HUGE GUTS.

I agree completely.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

The Doomguy's real name is John "Reaper" Grimm.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
If you're some kind of philistine who buys from Steam and never GoG, today's a good day for you! Descent is available! Both Descent and Descent 2 are available from GoG for :tenbux: which makes this a sort of good deal if you just want the first game.

The real question is, does this version of Descent have cards?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Zero Star posted:

The Doomguy's real name is John "Reaper" Grimm.

What is the matter with you :mad:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Speaking of Doomguy, Gaming Heads released a plush version of him to go with the plush Cacodemon and Pain Elemental.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mak0rz posted:

The only acceptable name for Doomguy is loving Doomguy.

John Doom is acceptable under rare circumstances.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Some dumb idiot posted:

Speaking of Doomguy, Gaming Heads released a plush version of him to go with the plush Cacodemon and Pain Elemental.

Will they add it to Bethesda shop? They actually had a good shipping service to europe when I got my cacodemon and Pain Elemental and I'm getting this for sure :allears:

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
So I got the idea to do sort of a BUILD Endurance Run, since even though I spent most of my middle school years messing around with Duke Nukem 3D, I've never really played Blood or Shadow Warrior. And, because it's me, I've decided to stream the whole thing, doing probably one episode (or however much I can stand) a night. Duke is up first, and since I'm familiar with it it should be more informative like my Doom marathon stream, but once I get into the other games it's going to be me just stumbling blindly through them, which ought to be entertaining for completely different reasons.

So if anyone's interested, I'll probably be starting around 11pm-12am EST each night, starting tonight, on http://twitch.tv/cyraptor. If you can't watch it live, the Twitch archive will be up for a week or so, then I'll upload the video to YouTube. Tonight I'll be doing Episode 2 of Duke3D (did Episode 1 last night but no one showed up cause I didn't tell anyone).

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Serious Sam Origins, a Serious Sam mod that aims to port every bit of unused and beta content into classic The Second Encounter, is about 80% done according to the developers. Straight from their Facebook page:

quote:

Do not fear!
Serious Sam Origins is in fact, a huge full game, which has not been completed. It is around 80% done!

We add this to the fact that our team is also entitled to delay releases and announcements developments. Each team has their studies, work, vacation and desire to finish the job.

Porting engine with 1.1 ~ 1.7 - is still a chubby thing. Not on an equal footing in order to hone in more than 46 levels, some of which are penny worth/broken/not worth it in their condition.

Discarding the technical aspects of the project, you can consider less prominent but significant moments that we are now doing. Music, voice, texts, errors, Roman's models, SDK, secrets and more... stay serious!)

I hope this gets done soon because I've been itching to play some new Serious Sam. I've pretty much mastered SS3, played the poo poo out of TFE and TSE HD, and don't really want to play/replay custom maps at the moment. A new, semi-official mod should help scratch that Serious Sam itch. Hopefully, they get co-op working like they said they would.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CyRaptor posted:

So I got the idea to do sort of a BUILD Endurance Run, since even though I spent most of my middle school years messing around with Duke Nukem 3D, I've never really played Blood or Shadow Warrior.
Don't forget Redneck Rampage (& sequel, & deer-hunting spinoff)! Powerslave! Witchaven (& sequel)! Fate! Tekwar! WW2 GI! Nam! And, mostly, if you really want to test your endurance, don't forget Extreme Paintbrawl! :unsmigghh:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

CyRaptor posted:

So I got the idea to do sort of a BUILD Endurance Run, since even though I spent most of my middle school years messing around with Duke Nukem 3D, I've never really played Blood or Shadow Warrior. And, because it's me, I've decided to stream the whole thing, doing probably one episode (or however much I can stand) a night. Duke is up first, and since I'm familiar with it it should be more informative like my Doom marathon stream, but once I get into the other games it's going to be me just stumbling blindly through them, which ought to be entertaining for completely different reasons.

So if anyone's interested, I'll probably be starting around 11pm-12am EST each night, starting tonight, on http://twitch.tv/cyraptor. If you can't watch it live, the Twitch archive will be up for a week or so, then I'll upload the video to YouTube. Tonight I'll be doing Episode 2 of Duke3D (did Episode 1 last night but no one showed up cause I didn't tell anyone).

I... completely forgot to follow you, so I missed this. Fixed!

I never gave a poo poo about Duke3d back in the day, so this will be informative for me. It always felt janky to me compared to Doom, and we were heavy into Doom deathmatch and I hated d3d dm. Clearly I hated fun.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've been using the mousewheel to zoom my ZDoom automap for a long-rear end time now, but suddenly the functionality broke. I can't seem to re-bind it. I can probably force ZDoom to bind it using the console, though. Anyone know the command?

It probably broke because I bound item switch to the mousewheel in DoomRL Arsenal.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't forget Redneck Rampage (& sequel, & deer-hunting spinoff)!

What in the loving world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMp8xnfN448

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can someone explain how the hell I'm supposed to get the secret in Map 24 of Back to Saturn X? It seems pretty well hidden for just a box of rockets :psyduck:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I almost did a BUILD run. Played Duke 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage. Didn't finish it though, I never got around to reinstalling RR Rides Again after getting my new computer. Playing them all one after the other is an interesting experience.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone explain how the hell I'm supposed to get the secret in Map 24 of Back to Saturn X? It seems pretty well hidden for just a box of rockets :psyduck:

If you haven't already got it, next to the secret is a raised platform with a single rocket. Press the platform to lower it, then get on the platform, turn left, press the wall, and enjoy your box of rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't forget Redneck Rampage (& sequel, & deer-hunting spinoff)! Powerslave! Witchaven (& sequel)! Fate! Tekwar! WW2 GI! Nam! And, mostly, if you really want to test your endurance, don't forget Extreme Paintbrawl! :unsmigghh:

I am very deliberately forgetting these. I actually did play Nam back when it came out though. Even as an undiscerning middle schooler I remember thinking it was pretty poo poo.

I dunno, maybe I'll do Redneck Rampage if I'm still feeling up to the task by the end, but anything else is too much effort to get a hold of considering how lovely they all are.

CyRaptor fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 13, 2014