Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

gatz posted:

Chunk, the most pathetic character in the game, everybody.

Excuse me, I think you meant to write "best character" here :colbert:

Don't rat out Mercurio. You have to weigh the options: how likely is it that LaCroix would react with anything other than "Oh cool, thanks I guess" and then eliminate an underling he clearly doesn't think to be that important anyway? It's better to be keep Mercurio in your debt, I say! Oh, and suck up to LaCroix - Ventrue know their place!

Which is behind their elders with a stake in the hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shut up about Mercurio and suck up to him.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
That garage is a pain in the backside to stealth. You could have used blood buff in the harder areas to boost your sneaking a bit though. Also, slow and steady does it. You really should have been able to pull it off.

I think my favourite run of that place was when I got down there, stole the case, and everything bugged out so neither side killed each other and the top three floors guards didn't despawn. I had to fight may way up four floors of parking garage with my fists and that little handgun :negative:

double nine posted:

edit: that security guard in the apartments is something that the unofficial patch added. Does he ever do anything? He seems like a pointless addition that I really have no clue what his added benefit is.
He does do something. He shoots you if you open that door, which is probably at least part of the reason Gatz went around him.

Oh, a vote!

I vote for keeping Mercurio's secret, and as much as I love sassing Lacroix, it is probably best to suck up to him

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I've never been able to ghost the garage either. I could wait til later in the game but never have had the patience.

Shut up and suck up.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mercurio is credit to team, and milk that fucker for every penny. We'll have time to stick it to the Man later. Best he thinks we're on the same side for now.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Mercurio is in your debt now, why waste an asset that you know to be valuable? Its a low-risk, high reward scenario here.
Keep quiet about Mercurio.

LaCroix is still the Prince, and even if you intend to supplant him its best he remain unaware and un-enraged.
Better suck up a bit to him and show some gratitude for your second chance at unlife.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
To err is human, and Mercurio's just a human who's had a sip of the good stuff. No reason to report what's already been resolved.

If we're going to screw with LaCroix, there's no reason to reveal our hand just yet. Best to schmooze with him in the meantime.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Mercurio's already had the everloving poo poo beat out of him, so I think he's paid for his screwup. Plus he'll owe us, which is nice. Don't give up Mercurio

You're a baby Ventrue, and apparently your thing is supposed to be making nice faces at people while positioning your knife behind them (wielded by someone else, naturally)--suck up...for now

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Keep quiet and schmooze like the Ventrue spawn you are.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Keep quiet and schmooze like the Ventrue spawn you are.

This.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Keep Quite and Act Neutral

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Don't screw Mercurio and be a suck-up.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I say we say nothing about Merc, and that we should schmooze with LaCroix. We're Ventrue, it's kinda expected we do this as a blueblood.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Merc is our bro, don't rat him out.

As to LaCroix, play it neutral. Don't milk too much out of him.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Mercurio trusted us, let's keep Mercurio's failure secret. And be neutral, I'd love to tell the prince some things but it's not a time to make enemies.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Pickled Tink posted:

You really should have been able to pull it off.

Hey man

That guy on the left was right in the way of where I needed to go. I waited for a bit, but he didn't move.

Then as soon as I get to the ladder he opens fire on me, somehow having 20/20 eyes on the side of his head, but deaf to me walking behind him and blind with his front eyes.

Of course, I could have reloaded, but what's the fun in that?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

gatz posted:

Hey man

That guy on the left was right in the way of where I needed to go. I waited for a bit, but he didn't move.

Then as soon as I get to the ladder he opens fire on me, somehow having 20/20 eyes on the side of his head, but deaf to me walking behind him and blind with his front eyes.

Plus, this gives another good example of life as a vampire. Got caught by 5-10 armed thugs? Instead of just being dead, getting shot is an annoyance and the thugs all die like flies. It's less "oh gently caress I got caught" and more "damnit I really wanted to be sneaky. Oh well!" :black101:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Keep Mercutio's secret and suck up to LaCroix.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

More votes for Keeping Mercutio's secret and flattering LaCroix. You are Ventrue after all.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Gantolandon posted:

Holy poo poo, I would really play a GTA-like game where you are a vampire/werewolf/mage doing supernatural stuff and, instead of FBI and the army, faces NWO Men in Black, HIT-Marks and Void Engineer Border Corps.

If you could get Volition to make it I would play the hell out of this.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I have to ask those more knowledgeable than me: is this "the environmental and urban devastation" sign written in italian a reference to something specific in the World of Darkness or something in this game that I missed?
I always wondered why this was in, but could never find out why.

As for the voting, keep Mercurio's secret safe and as for LaCroix, let's act neutral.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Randabis posted:

If you could get Volition to make it I would play the hell out of this.

After Saints Row IV, that would be pretty easy to do, just tone down the silliness a bit, put some fangs and claws around and you're golden.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

gatz posted:

Hey man

This reminds me. I hope you dont mind if I :spergin: about vidyagame mechanics a little? If I go too far, just tell me what to cut.

gatz posted:

We just have to sneak over there undetected. I put two dots into stealth for this, and it better pay off.
Please for the love of Caine tell me you didn't spend your hard-earned XP on those two dots of stealth. :negative:
I’m pretty sure you found that book on sneaking in Santa Maria, right? Well, what you may not know is this: if you sell a skill book to a vendor, you can turn around and buy it right back from them, read it, and then keep on buying copies until it no longer gives you a benefit. You can use this in Santa Monica to cheaply boost Firearms, Computers, and Stealth to 2 without needing to spend any XP, and there may be further opportunities ahead if you keep an eye out. :monocle:

Dexterity will also boost your Stealth, and more besides – from memory I was able to complete every mandatory stealth section in the game with only 3 Dexterity and 2 Stealth, although the extra elbow room is definitely noticeable.

gatz posted:

If we had one more dot in persuasion, we could convince Larry to also give us a discount at his store.
This reward is better than it sounds. Larry will give you a discount, all right, but the way he does so is to increase your Finance skill by 1, (up to a max of 3 IIRC). That point of Persuasion can save you a lot of money over time, which is especially useful if you’re speccing heavily into firearms.

In fact, between its boost to Persuasion and the Research requirement for reading skill books, Scholarship is probably one of the most useful skills to sink XP into. Not that that should stop anyone from playing a pure combat monster if they want to, but the little optional boosts here and there really add up over time.

And there are a lot of little things to discover. Last time I played through the game, I discovered several little things you can do which earn extra XP that weren't in any guide or FAQ I’ve ever read. Part of why I am enjoying this LP so much is seeing a side of the game I never have before— so thanks again for doing this, gatz.* :)

✱ Although you did an incredible job making it look good, I really am glad you’re done with BloodNet and onto a game that rewards your attention better.

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

gatz posted:

Hey man

That guy should move eventually (Unless bugged). That said, the guy in the left of your screenshot in the distance never does, and I have never found a way to get past him without stealth killing him, but you still get the bonus exp for this so long as you aren't seen. This in itself suggests a solution to the magically super-aware man...

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

GrimRevenant posted:

I’m pretty sure you found that book on sneaking in Santa Maria, right? Well, what you may not know is this: if you sell a skill book to a vendor, you can turn around and buy it right back from them, read it, and then keep on buying copies until it no longer gives you a benefit. You can use this in Santa Monica to cheaply boost Firearms, Computers, and Stealth to 2 without needing to spend any XP, and there may be further opportunities ahead if you keep an eye out. :monocle:

Hell, since this absolutely is abusing buggy game mechanics to get free skills, why not go all in and just open the console and type in 'giftxp 1000'?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Barf Wight posted:

I vote: Don't rat on Mercurio and be neutral

Mersurio seems like a nice enough guy. Second chances don't come often, and we already proved what you can do when you do get one. Likewise, I don't have a good feel for LaCroix yet. He's an rear end in a top hat and clearly manipulating us, but to what ends? We might want in on it later or we might want to blow him off later. For now, stay neutral until we get a better idea. No reason to suck up or piss him off.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I say rat out Mercurio (only because I've never done it) and suck up to the Prince. Let's get on his good side.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I love how I'm the only one in favor of giving LaCroix some sass, and even then that's only because I already went the suck-up route.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My vote is for the two-faced comment and for being neutral to LaCroix.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheMcD posted:

I love how I'm the only one in favor of giving LaCroix some sass, and even then that's only because I already went the suck-up route.

The only major difference between getting on LaCroix's good or bad side is whether you want to live in Santa Monica the entire game or not.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Tehan posted:

Hell, since this absolutely is abusing buggy game mechanics to get free skills, why not go all in and just open the console and type in 'giftxp 1000'?
Since Trip at the pawn shop sells two of these books straight out of the gate, complete with repeats, I hardly think this was unintended behaviour. If you want to, you can RP-explain it away as your character asking the shopkeeper for more manuals like the one you have, or you can just treat it as a bonus for characters who spend more on investigating and dialogue skills than on combat. And believe me, they’ll probably need it.

Even if you only get a single use out of them, those manuals can be pretty handy.

I realise I didn’t directly answer your question. The answer to why I don’t just use console commands to trivialise the game? It would be boring. :rolleyes: This is hardly cost-free, but I’d definitely rather spend a little more effort and time rounding out my skills at the cost of money than I would spend my precious XP on stuff I don’t have to. It’s not a free lunch, it’s not cheating your way to success, and if you don’t like using an option the game presents then you’re free not to use it.

One of my favourite things about (most of) the game, actually.

TheMcD posted:

The only reason I’m voting for sucking up to LaCroix is that I could never manage it, no matter how I tried. :v:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 11, 2014

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't rat out Mercurio Having him indebted to you it's probably a good idea. Also, LaCroix is your typical chessmaster and won't break a sweat to sacrifice his pawn, but suck up, it's better to have smooth relations with the higher-up bastard.

Voting for this as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Barf Wight posted:

Sure are.

Top pair are:
On the left is "Cain slaying Abel" by Peter Paul Rubens, mirrored for some reason.
On the right is "Cain and Abel" by José Vergara, also mirrored.
Bottom pair:
Pietro Novellis "Cain and Abel" on the left and Titians "Cain and Abel" on the right.

Pretty unimaginative titles!
Meanwhile, this:

is Chancellor Séguier and his suite, Charles Le Brun, ca. 1670.

Le Brun worked for Louis XIV, and in addition to the part where he either has good taste in art or needs to look like he has good taste in art (this stuff was antiques when he was alive), LaCroix probably approves of the way Le Brun's paintings were designed as visual representations of power. Not sure why he chose that subject matter though; Séguier himself survived a tumultuous period but he ended up disgraced. Perhaps it's the enigmatic expressions of the men in his train that interested LaCroix--instead of the fawning lackeys you expect, they look like they're keeping their own council.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 11, 2014

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I vote you keep Mercurio's secret to exploit at a later date, and suck up like a true Ventrue to LaCroix.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013
The last painting is apparently from "Les Campagnes de Louis XIV. Campagne du Roy pendant l’année M.DC.LXXVI" It's Louis XIV dressed in roman armor. Can't find any information about who painted it.

I'd say keep the secret and neutral.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Trust the man on the couch, suck up, and make the two faced comment.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

RichardA posted:

Trust the man on the couch, suck up, and make the two faced comment.

Voting this too. Even if you haven't got a Sire to bring you into the loop of what being a Venture entails, I like to imagine it coming naturally to Melissa. Backstabby suckup who doesn't give up information that is beneficial for her, but acts like she would tell the Prince everything.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I have to play a Ventrue every time I play just because of their last set of clothing. Equipment Spoilers: Male / Female

Edit: Since I've got these laying around from when I did an LP of this game 4 years ago, here's the clothing for all of the other clans (except Nosferatu and Tremere, I guess I didn't make any images for them.).

Brujah: Male / Female
Gangrel: Male / Female
Malkavian: Male / Female :nws: maybe
Toreador: Male / Female

PureRok fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 11, 2014

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Let's keep Mercurio's secret and suck up. No reason to risk a potentially valuable contact, and we're not powerful enough yet to get rid of the Prince, so why antagonize him?

Though I wouldn't mind hearing about the other options once we've passed the points of choice. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Keep the secret because the man on the couch is our friend/pawn now. And Be neutral because I imagine the Prince will see through bullshit, but still expect us to show some respect.

• Locked thread