Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nibble posted:

I'm assuming the huge viewer drop is just because the run ended. During the Bowser fight I think the peak was over 36k.

The viewcount dropped well before he ended his run, but he still had significant viewership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Cosmo just did 43:02 in Castlevania 64 Carrie, beating the old record of 43:16.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Castlevania 64 is seriously the most boring lovely speedgame.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

heeheex2 posted:

Have to agree here, intensely boring. The only reason it's a thing is because Cosmo is the runner.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The drunk run Cosmo did of CV64 at Chicagothon was hilarious though. And pretty hype to boot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

heeheex2 posted:

A guy that runs glover, calling other games boring and lovely.

Wow.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Wow.

I'll allow it because heehee openly admits that Glover is a piece of poo poo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Wow.

A game where you can go so fast the camera can't keep up? Glitches and risky strats galore? Sounds like a good speedgame to me :colbert:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Alteisen posted:

Wow.

I dont run glover

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

heeheex2 posted:

I dont run glover

I would say right now you ARE Glover.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Alteisen posted:

A guy that runs Mario 64, calling other games boring and lovely.

Wow.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Wow. The lukewarm burns. The limp-wristed callouts. Just wow.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Social Media posted:

Wow. The lukewarm burns. The limp-wristed callouts. Just wow.

Anything to save frames.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
I am personally happy that the viewbots have taken a liking to speedrunning. New (cyber)blood in the community!!!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Zackcat posted:

I am personally happy that the viewbots have taken a liking to speedrunning. New (cyber)blood in the community!!!

If a Viewbot starts streaming, can we accept TAS as RTA?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Studio posted:

If a Viewbot starts streaming, can we accept TAS as RTA?

the real question is, are we ready to accept Viewpeople raiding a streaming Viewbot?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Only if the raid message includes BEEP BOP.

I'd be fine if one of the streambots ends up being the Hulk or the Minotaur.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

New speedrun FF7 WR- 2:14:53 by Kynos.

Here is his stream- http://www.twitch.tv/xerokynos and the google doc for this amazingly broken run is here- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yL_ZKDOT7gXQEOaLLR7LY6-sSapQp-77-i_myLIp2VI. Even for a reasonably experienced FF speedrun viewer, a lot of the glitches were new to me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Samael posted:

Here is his stream- http://www.twitch.tv/xerokynos and the google doc for this amazingly broken run is here- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yL_ZKDOT7gXQEOaLLR7LY6-sSapQp-77-i_myLIp2VI. Even for a reasonably experienced FF speedrun viewer, a lot of the glitches were new to me.

I'd like to see something like this at a marathon, just for the novelty of beating the game with Aeris in the party. Google doc link is broken by the way.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

argondamn posted:

I'd like to see something like this at a marathon

He submitted it to ESA's 2014 and I'm going to do my best to get it in. For the sake of performing it live I asked him things, so I can say it's very safe but there's still some random chance involved with encounters, at worst 2-3 minutes will be lost.

And then he went and got that time. Wow.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

argondamn posted:

I'd like to see something like this at a marathon, just for the novelty of beating the game with Aeris in the party. Google doc link is broken by the way.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yL_ZKDOT7gXQEOaLLR7LY6-sSapQp-77-i_myLIp2VI

Fixed the link. Just had an extra period at the end of it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MrLonghair posted:

He submitted it to ESA's 2014 and I'm going to do my best to get it in. For the sake of performing it live I asked him things, so I can say it's very safe but there's still some random chance involved with encounters, at worst 2-3 minutes will be lost.

And then he went and got that time. Wow.

It sounds like a good run that fits beautifully the criteria for a good marathon showing: beloved popular game being torn to pieces. Also, Aeris is alive.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone do SMB "walkathon" (beating the game without using the B button) runs? I saw the TAS for that yesterday and it seems like it'd be awfully masochistic - there are 3 pixel-perfect jumps you have to do in world 8 and you die if you miss any of them, and then 4-3 is just dumb and requires a bunch of crazy glitches to be done right in a row so a real-time runner would probably have to do a warps run - but I bet that would be entertaining to see/try.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
nevermind

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

argondamn posted:

There's an FF6 LP/playaround that involves getting General Leo in the party without any sort of gamesharking or whatever, mostly through exploiting this enormous, game-destroying glitch.

The problem, though, is that to make the glitch work you have to play half the game and die at a very particular point and go all the way back to where you last saved near the start, so while it would be fantastic to show at a marathon it's just not feasible to demonstrate in realtime.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Almolicious seems to have thought up a new skip in Paper Mario TTYD and successfully tested it: http://ask.fm/Almolicious/answer/108837044089

He appears to be working on routing based on this new discovery on his stream: http://www.twitch.tv/almolicious

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dias posted:

It sounds like a good run that fits beautifully the criteria for a good marathon showing: beloved popular game being torn to pieces. Also, Aeris is alive.

I guess the main problem is it's still like an hour and a half of non-broken Final Fantasy 7 as a run up to the actual interesting part.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I guess the main problem is it's still like an hour and a half of non-broken Final Fantasy 7 as a run up to the actual interesting part.

There's been worse poo poo with longer runtimes put into marathons so I'd reckon that's an acceptable risk.

I'm just interested at the prospect of a Final Fantasy marathon run that doesn't take all day, so I'm all for it.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It actually was very interesting all the way though, I mean the only reason that it takes that long is midgar, which you can't skip much, but by the time you are past there you completely skip the Kalm flashback and there is a lot of great little glitches. My favourite one is how he levels cloud, he kills ultima weapon by throwing a potion on it to make it run, which overflows his HP to 100 and then he kills it with one grenade. :allears:

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Samael posted:

This is really awesome. I started up learning FFVII a little over a year ago and fizzled out after learning about 2/3 of disc one. I started with PC which was fast of course, then got a little demoralized once I moved to my ps2 fat and lost some time and had to change control scheme (analog stick -> pad). I was further demoralized once I realized the significant difference between ps2 fat fast disc and ps2 slim fast disc. Didn't really want to get another ps2 to be competitive and compare times.

Looks like now's the time to get back into learning it. Especially since I know the entire Escape part already.

Hopefully this won't impact my work on Shatterhand too much.

pigz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 11, 2014

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

It really is. I have been telling him this for months so I'm glad he submitted it for a marathon this year

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Samael posted:

Is there a video? I can't find it on his channel.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a video? I can't find it on his channel.

http://www.twitch.tv/xerokynos/c/3705094

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thanks!

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

pigz posted:

This is really awesome. I started up learning FFVII a little over a year ago and fizzled out after learning about 2/3 of disc one. I started with PC which was fast of course, then got a little demoralized once I moved to my ps2 fat and lost some time and had to change control scheme (analog stick -> pad). I was further demoralized once I realized the significant difference between ps2 fat fast disc and ps2 slim fast disc. Didn't really want to get another ps2 to be competitive and compare times.

Looks like now's the time to get back into learning it. Especially since I know the entire Escape part already.

Hopefully this won't impact my work on Shatterhand too much.

It must be noted that these glitches only work on the JP PC version (iirc). I don't know exact versions, I guess you would have to ask Kynos himself.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

the thing where the wrong video background is played during a cutscene is one of the funniest drat things

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm surprised to not see this mentioned here already, but 2stop just beat the Yoshi's Island 100% WR with a 2:37:33, skipping the 2:38 entirely: http://www.twitch.tv/2stop

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
With 3 bonus stages.

Very impressive.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Lee sports just tweeted this save that happened during the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Kerfuffle posted:

Lee sports just tweeted this save that happened during the run.

What stage is this again?

+ Found it, 5-4

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 12, 2014

• Locked thread