Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

dogstile posted:

Since this was my first real job I wanted to wait it out until six months before looking but i'm just about to hit the five month mark

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

rolleyes posted:

Yeah, so it definitely doesn't sound like the standard 3-step process is being followed here and if they've been working there for years then they're definitely protected. Suggest that they lawyer up and get the employment tribunals rolling - that's gotta be unfair dismissal.

May be worth contacting these guys for support too?

gone soon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Blackberries. I do not loving understand the OS these things use. Am I just an idiot who needs dumb babby mobile OSes like Android and iOS?

I have no idea how ti find the settings for anything on a Blackberry, and that's after I get past having to use the tiny little trackball thing.

I'm trying to troubleshoot/confirm some contact sync settings and I have no idea what to look for. On either of the other big mobile OSes I would simply go into Settings and find the mail/accounts section, but that doesn't exist on this thing. I just...I don't understand.

Boy howdy would I love a job where I never have to touch another BB again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I doubt you'll have to wait very long for that wish to come true.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Blackberries. I do not loving understand the OS these things use. Am I just an idiot who needs dumb babby mobile OSes like Android and iOS?

I have no idea how ti find the settings for anything on a Blackberry, and that's after I get past having to use the tiny little trackball thing.

I'm trying to troubleshoot/confirm some contact sync settings and I have no idea what to look for. On either of the other big mobile OSes I would simply go into Settings and find the mail/accounts section, but that doesn't exist on this thing. I just...I don't understand.

Boy howdy would I love a job where I never have to touch another BB again.

I had a BB as a company phone back before the iPhone came out, it was rad. I had to pull some pictures off one the other day and it took me like a half hour to figure out how to use that drat thing again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pissed off customer. One of our booking websites sucks balls and our webdevs are clueless. This particular site is buggy in IE and it was suggested he use Firefox (our as the web programmers call it, one of which doesn't even have internet at home, 'Mozilla')

pissed customer posted:

Subject: web problems/

Hey there <____>. I thought I would write to you so that you could kick this upstairs. I write to and call the tech people but they seem not to care, but they are tech people. I think the new website is the smartest thing yet that you guys have done, I am looking at having the same kind of thing done for me and have been talking to web developers about it. That said, its ease of use lacking. Because I happen to use the largest commercially used web browser on the planet and comes preloaded in nearly 100% of computers, it will freeze up on me an average of 6 times during any one estimate or search. Sometimes only one or 2 times, sometimes as many as 12. Actually that was my max number of times I had to log out and re log back in to complete a task. I am told I should use a different browser. It was tough enough going from dos to windows, and I have tried to use another browser but am unwilling to figure it out. I have a website with built in calculators and it doesn't have these issues.
The reason I think this is important is that I only book interstate customers now who I am currently doing local business with or thru, I accept no new interstate business, I turn them away.That way I can limit my frustration with having to be on your website doing 1 estimate for 20 or more minutes. I know that I am passing up a lot of money, but I am busy anyway.
I know a lot of tech people have very negative feelings toward microsoft or any big company because they feel they are evil giants.
I am not saying that this is why yours doesn't work with the microsoft browser(the largest in the world) but it seems to me that it should work with the largest browser on the planet. If you could please forward this on to someone who might be able to do something about it, that would be great. Thanks for your time and sorry if I rambled a bit. This will be the last email I send to anyone there regarding this.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
The golden rule is not to ignore IE, unless, it's versions 8 and prior.

To be honest, if they managed to gently caress up a site on IE9..11, then well done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

It was tough enough going from dos to windows

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

I had a BB as a company phone back before the iPhone came out, it was rad.

Once upon a time, even Seinfeld did an episode on the Crackberry.

Amazing how it was so pervasive in society only to have completely pissed away its market advantage.

Pissing me off: bureaucracy.

I received a tag three weeks ago to finish the decommission process for two servers that are powered off and sitting in a rack. I have verified that all traces of the server have been removed (service accounts in AD, computer name in AD, DNS entries, assigned storage returned to the pool, etc) and literally all I have left to do is create a tag for the noc monkies to go in and degauss the disks.

But there are two PMs who have been bickering for the last three weeks over which project code to use.

I'm talking maybe a half hour worth of work for some data center cj to stick a DBAN disk into two servers and let it run for 30 minutes or whatever.

Seriously folks. Let's just charge it to baseline because it's only 30 loving minutes and you've been arguing about it for three weeks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is it just me or is barracuda web filter a piece of poo poo?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Eh the physical appliances suck; the virtual appliances I like. So long as you keep it sorta up to date I haven't had problems with them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

totalnewbie posted:

Define piece of poo poo? Most of these webfilter appliances are just managed Linux boxes running Squid and some form of squid-guard like database of bad sites with some custom squid reporting. You're paying for their customization, updates, fancy reporting and the ease of not rolling your own.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It loves to throw out false positives for no apparent reason like nobody's business. Maybe it is IT, maybe it is me, I don't know.

Here's something else: is Outlook/Exchange (2010, I'm pretty sure) really bad about keeping credentials, or is it just poorly set up? If our laptops switch APs, Outlook will lose credentials and demand the password again. Even after entering the correct password, it continually re-prompts for the password. This may or may not lead to the account being locked, sometimes due to trying other passwords because obviously the one I just entered wasn't right (even if it was).

Sharepoint also does the same thing.

Frankly, this is stupid behavior that, to me, is a sign of a terribly configured network. I also suspect it's just a badly configured network because we're "out of IP addresses" (so please turn off wireless on your cell phones).

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

It loves to throw out false positives for no apparent reason like nobody's business. Maybe it is IT, maybe it is me, I don't know.

Only really gotten that when it falls out of date. What kinda sites?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well Spotify is unblocked, but for a while one of the apps (Filtr) was a "parked site". At least, the html site was. The app itself still doesn't work in Spotify, probably because it calls some other URL from the app itself, which is still blocked.

Then images hosted on one of Gawker's image servers (kinja or kinja-imgs or something) was blocked as... I don't even remember what.

And of course today, the site for an apartment building I was looking at (which doesn't serve ads) was blocked for "Spyware" even though I had visited it a couple weeks before.

No big deals, but just weird random sites that are randomly blocked for no apparent reason.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

totalnewbie posted:

Here's something else: is Outlook/Exchange (2010, I'm pretty sure) really bad about keeping credentials, or is it just poorly set up? If our laptops switch APs, Outlook will lose credentials and demand the password again. Even after entering the correct password, it continually re-prompts for the password. This may or may not lead to the account being locked, sometimes due to trying other passwords because obviously the one I just entered wasn't right (even if it was).

Sharepoint also does the same thing.

Frankly, this is stupid behavior that, to me, is a sign of a terribly configured network. I also suspect it's just a badly configured network because we're "out of IP addresses" (so please turn off wireless on your cell phones).

Your wifi hands out a new DHCP lease every time you change AP's, but doesn't scavange the old one, depleting the DHCP pool. Reduce the lease time to something really short, like 8 hours, or fix your wifi to enable handoff's correctly.

Outlook gets pretty dumb. When it prompts for a password, hit 'other user' and enter your username as <domain>\<username> and retype your password. Outlook uses your email as a login UPN, but unless your domain is specifically configured for this, it won't work.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay so gently caress outlook.

But still, with 200 people in our office, I don't see how we run out of addresses in the DHCP pool. The lease is set for 3 days.

And the antivirus (Vipre) is set up to make a scan at 1 PM every weekday. On Thurdays, it performs a "Deep scan" which took 3 hours, according to the logs.

But I guess since they're laptops, there's maybe not a better time, since people often take them home and leave them off.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

totalnewbie posted:

But still, with 200 people in our office, I don't see how we run out of addresses in the DHCP pool. The lease is set for 3 days.
Well, do you have any devices on your network that blatantly ignore lease times?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EoRaptor posted:

Your wifi hands out a new DHCP lease every time you change AP's, but doesn't scavange the old one, depleting the DHCP pool. Reduce the lease time to something really short, like 8 hours, or fix your wifi to enable handoff's correctly.

Outlook gets pretty dumb. When it prompts for a password, hit 'other user' and enter your username as <domain>\<username> and retype your password. Outlook uses your email as a login UPN, but unless your domain is specifically configured for this, it won't work.

The DHCP server should be issuing the same IP again as the client already has an active lease, regardless of the fact that they've roamed onto a new AP.

Unless each AP has its own subnet :gonk:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

dogstile posted:

Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off. This poo poo is depressing. I like the people here, but the boss and the rooms manager are just stressful as hell.

holy poo poo

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

dogstile posted:

if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off.

Re-read that quote lol, and I don't think that they they can stop you if you demand two minutes unpaid leave.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There is no way that being petty about 2 minutes of time actually saves them any money.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

totalnewbie posted:

What's your subnet? If you're on a /24 and you have 200 people, just their work computers alone are using up the majority of the address pool, and I assume they all have a phone on top of that. Hopefully servers/printers are on a different network.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

Also, desk time is rigid as hell, if they see me with my phone on the desk they tell me to put it away and if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave, meaning that yes, I had 7 hours 58 minutes worth of leave I could take and they expected me to come in for the two minutes. I wasn't allowed a full day off.
That's hilariously illegal by the way. Not a huge shocker given the other dumb poo poo the people you work for seem to be up to.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

totalnewbie posted:

One thing I noticed when I upgraded my test lab to Exchange 2013 is that If you left the default setting of "negotiate" in the authentication method then Outlook =< 2010 clients would demand a password if the client moved from off the lab network. Everything else was OK, however changing it from that to NTLM removed the issue and I was too lazy to investigate why or how.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

anthonypants posted:

Well, do you have any devices on your network that blatantly ignore lease times?

Probably! But wouldn't the proper response be to ban those devices rather than send out an office-wide email saying, "Please turn off Wi-fi on your phones"?

Caged posted:

The DHCP server should be issuing the same IP again as the client already has an active lease, regardless of the fact that they've roamed onto a new AP.

Unless each AP has its own subnet :gonk:

Could be, I will check next time. Also, there's weird behavior if I move between the dock (wired) and the wireless (i.e. when I disconnect from the dock). But I can't attribute this to IT as I can easily imagine this being the fact that it's getting two connections, so I just unplugged the dock's ethernet cable.

Inspector_666 posted:

What's your subnet? If you're on a /24 and you have 200 people, just their work computers alone are using up the majority of the address pool, and I assume they all have a phone on top of that. Hopefully servers/printers are on a different network.

Nah, /12. 172.16.*.*

Lynxifer posted:

One thing I noticed when I upgraded my test lab to Exchange 2013 is that If you left the default setting of "negotiate" in the authentication method then Outlook =< 2010 clients would demand a password if the client moved from off the lab network. Everything else was OK, however changing it from that to NTLM removed the issue and I was too lazy to investigate why or how.

Interesting. Not sure if we're on Exchange 2010 or 2013, though. I would pass it on to IT, but IT doesn't really seem to care about these types of issues, though. I think they're more of the "is the duct tape holding up? yeah? well don't touch it, then" mentality.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Barracuda's mail filters are some of the only ones I don't loving hate.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Why am I installing Windows 7 32-bit on a PowerEdge R520? WHYYYYYY :gonk:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Why am I installing Windows 7 32-bit on a PowerEdge R520? WHYYYYYY :gonk:

It's a VM right?

Right?

:negative:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

It's a VM right?

Right?

:negative:

No. It requires Dialogic media boards, and the vendor only supports 32-bit desktop OSes.

If IT supports it, we require redundant PSUs and RAID.

The net result is this loving mutant.

:edit: AND Dialogic doesn't support PAE AAAAAND it requires Java 1.6 for its diagnostic apps.

I just want to take this poor server out back and shoot it Ol' Yeller style.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 11, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My boss ia a tool. We're driving to the datacenter where we have some crap to install some crap, and he spent like an hour printing out maps on how to get there. Like we don't have iPhones or GPS. And it's not like it's just JUMP ON I75 TO THIS EXIT GO ON THIS MAIN ROAD it's like we're driving to timbuktu.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey man, I75 goes from the UP in Michigan to Southern Florida. What if you miss the exit? God, you could end up on the other side of the country!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Our remote hands guys just ripped out the wrong goddam blade from a chassis during a routine DIMM replacement :ughh: Didn't need those production servers to be available anyway!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Docjowles posted:

Our remote hands guys just ripped out the wrong goddam blade from a chassis during a routine DIMM replacement :ughh: Didn't need those production servers to be available anyway!

Failover test!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

totalnewbie posted:

Nah, /12. 172.16.*.*

Just because your network is a /12 doesn't mean your DHCP server is handing them all out. Check your address pool size to make sure it isn't set to something smaller.

Also, yeah, reduce your lease time to something really short.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Bob Morales posted:

Barracuda's mail filters are some of the only ones I don't loving hate.

Even those are slow pieces of poo poo. We moved from a physical box to a virtual instance last year and it's still terribly slow using the web interface.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

No. It requires Dialogic media boards, and the vendor only supports 32-bit desktop OSes.

If IT supports it, we require redundant PSUs and RAID.

The net result is this loving mutant.

:edit: AND Dialogic doesn't support PAE AAAAAND it requires Java 1.6 for its diagnostic apps.

I just want to take this poor server out back and shoot it Ol' Yeller style.

I guess there's no chance it likes PCI passthrough or anything like that?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Pup-up blockers are pissing me off.

When was the last time that you were visiting a site and it spewed popups that were blocked by IE or Firefox and you were grateful?

vs.

When was the last time you were visiting a site that had a form that you had to fill out, and when you clicked submit the popup blocker blocks the page and when you click "allow popups for this page" the page clears the data in the form so you get to enter it all again?

Yeah.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

I was not impressed with our load balancers. Both are junk hardware wise and have a super basic web interface. The ease of use was great for our old admin, but I removed them after the $3k in support renews came back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Caged posted:

I guess there's no chance it likes PCI passthrough or anything like that?

I'm guessing not. Also, I'm no VCP, but we use DRS so I'm guessing that'd mean buying (2 x Number of Hosts) cards at $600 each, and that's not happening. Also, our PRI disaster-recovery site doesn't have an ESX host there, and I need to deploy a clone of this freak-of-technology there.

New thing I learned that I'll never need in realityland - Broadcom Netxtreme desktop drivers work on their server hardware!