Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Poor Arycelle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's kind of sneaky, hiding unique dialogue in a skippable fight.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Glazius posted:

That's kind of sneaky, hiding unique dialogue in a skippable fight.

TO:LUCT is kinda like FF7 in that there is a lot of hidden dialogue that really changes the way you see certain events and characters. At least TO has the courtesy to give you chariot.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen was similar in hidden dialogues as well. It's part of the reason why in any of these games I make an effort to make sure characters who might have the smallest of acquaintance and/or were recently recruited are in the next few battles after recruitment.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 37: White Queen (As It Began)

Hello, everyone. Good to see you. Awhile ago we beat Leonar in a duel and in his last moments he told us Duke Ronwey is up to no good. The Duke plans to sell Valeria to the Dark Knights of Lodis. He seeks to forge an alliance between the Resistance and the Dark Knights to defeat the Bakram, and once they're out of the way the Duke will bow down and let Lodis do as they please with isles.

The deal is going down at Rhime, so we need to get there ASAP.

Mount Weobry: An active volcano in the Burnham Massif, a mountian range rising in the island's central region. after 120 years of slumber, the volcano reawakened upon the death of King Dorgalua.

However, right now the only road there that isn't in the Duke's control is through a volcano. Sounds fun!

We remember you too, Ganpp. How could we forget such a crazy smile?

The Wheel brought us back together, has it? Now there's a stroke of luck! Berda! Obda! To me!

Ganpp's pet gryphons answer his call.

A special brew, huh. I guess we should consider ourselves honored.

Banga! Zanga! To battle!

Oh, it's just a pair of cockatrices.

I may be a headhunter, but that don't mean ol' Ganpp is ungrateful for all his eminence did for him. It's time you paid for what you done to Galgastan!

Of course the beasts move first, but that's not all there is to them. If you kill anyone of Ganpp's pets he will debuff our entire party. That is in addition to healing or buffing himself. Killing each pet will trigger a different status effect based one which on it is. Here is a list of what happens:

Obda - Goons: Weakened, Ganpp will heal himself
Berda - Goons: Breached, Ganpp: Strengthened
Banga - Goons: Falsestrike, Ganpp: Nothing
Zanga - Goons: Stagger, Ganpp: Sidestep

Ganpp also has a different quote in response to killing each one. They are as followed:

Obda! What have they done to you! Your sorrow is my strength!

Berda! My sweet Berda! Your anger feeds my own!

Forgive me, Banga! Your soul will live on in me!

They'll pay dear for this, Zanga! My heart ain't so gentle as yours!

With all that in mind it's not a good idea to touch any of them. That means we're going straight for Ganpp. For that we brought a team composed of only our fastest and archery-est. Yeah, that's a word.

Our starting position gives our archers a huge boost to their range.

Ganpp himself uses javelins and will try to move in to attack.

His pets quickly reach are archers, but the battle won't last long enough for them to do much damage.

Buluru with his large movement range closes in on Ganpp.

Okay, an octopus having a log I understand thanks to the picture Orcs and Ostriches drew, but why was there a log sitting right next to the lava?

Buluru is quickly joined by Hobyrim and Prowler to form a man train.

Ganpp moves up to attack Prowler and in doing so stalls the man train in the station by blocking the path.

In fact the train is dealing with all sorts of problems. This shot came from one of the wingman Archers.

Our archers lend some aid.

While Buluru fends off this demon.

From behind cover Sara fires a shot that knocks back Ganpp.

This gives the train a platform to work with.

But out of all the passengers Buluru has the lowest damage output so he's staying behind.

Luckily, both Prowler and Hobyrim have the next two turns.

Ganpp counters but it's not enough.

Prowler's attack puts Ganpp's HP below 25%, so this fight is over.

Next we meet will be the last! I won't forget what it was you done here!

Congratulations

No one died, so no loot.

Elsewhere...

Catiua is standing alone on the docks. Muttering the last words she spoke to Denam to the wind.

That's not the wind talking back.

A man approaches from the dark.

Your mother left this world upon your birth. And your father followed her only a few months before the war broke out. Your blood begins and ends with you, Catiua. You are alone, truly.

What are you talking about? I have a brother! Surely you've not forgotten Denam!

I gather you have realized the Abuna was not your father.

You assumed... wrongly.

A flash of lightning bathes the harbor in an eerie light.

Then who am I? Who do you say I am!?

Versalia.

Another flash.

Versalia Oberyth... That's not possible.

You are cautious. Good.

A-ah!

The rain slowly creeps in.

But it was not Queen Vernotta who bore you into this world. One of her handmaidens, a girl named Mannaflora, caught the king's eye. But even as you quickened in the womb, the queen carried the unborn prince. Wanting no rival for her son, she expelled your mother from the castle before you were born. Mannaflora died giving birth to you.

He left you in the care of his brother, Abuna Prancet. Were it not for you and your secret, a man such as Brantyn would never have risen so high or so swift.

Nonsense and lies!

But there is proof: Your necklace. It bears an inscription, written in the old tongue. One with your religious training should have no trouble reading it.

Labon Versalia xan phon, destonia lera phoenan. To my daughter Versalia, eternal beloved.

A gift from King Dorgalua to celebrate your birth. The Queen made it appear as though you and your mother had been killed.

You must have read that inscription. Nurtured doubts about your origins. Am I wrong?

Catiua takes a moment to responed.

What do you want from me?

For you to return with us to Heim.

Two men enter accompanied by the sound of thunder.

There, Abuna Prancet can answer any other questions you may have.

Catiua pauses.

This way, Princess Catiua.

Next time: What surprise does the Arkhaiopolis have in store for us this time?

Warren Report

Catiua Pavel
Mannaflora Befonda
Vernotta Eltynaha Oderyth
Andoras Gaffryn

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Gasp! A secret princess. Such drama!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Gasp! A secret princess. Such drama!

A secret illegitimate princess, no less. I feel sorry for Catiua, but drat if she doesn't make it hard.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah she's kind of wildly unsympathetic

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

victrix posted:

Yeah she's kind of wildly unsympathetic

To be fair, what with alternate timeline shenanigans that's practically everyone in this game at one point or another.

Tactics Ogre: Everyone Is Dicks (Except Canopus)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I feel sorry for Catiua, but drat if she doesn't make it hard.

>leaves lifelong "sibling" and basically her only friend in the world because they argue a lot
>goes off to a foreign country with the guy who sacked her town, captured her "father", and murdered everyone else because he says she's a long-lost princess

Seems legit.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
War does crazy things to people, and Valerian culture values blood ties above all else, so Catiua's behavior isn't too far-fetched.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at this point she's also hit rock-bottom, being completely alone in a world that, insofar as it cares about her at all, wants her dead as an accessory to Denam. Even going with the Dark Knights is preferable; at least if they kill her it'll be quick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Girl's just left her brother, and now the guy she thought murdered her parents, is now telling her that everyone has been lying to her, and that her adoptive father is still alive. Assuming Tartare isn't lying for no reason whatsoever, going with him is her only chance of learning what the hell is going on. And if Catuia is what Tartare says she is, she has a claim to the throne more valid than all of the various factions, and a shot at ending the war and uniting the country.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 11, 2014

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 38: You're My Best Friend

Welcome back. Last time we made our way to Rhime by traveling through a volcano. While we were there we took a brief moment to beat up Ganpp the Beastmaster and probably put a couple new holes in his smile. Also, apparently Catiua is the Dynast-king's daughter.

Pictured: Denam standing alone in the bushes talking to himself. At least he's using thought bubbles.

Is it just me or does the game really like the phrase Familiar Voice.

Sneaking mode engaged.

Looks like Vyce is here, too. But there's something different about those knights.

(What could Vyce be doing with those Bakram soldiers?)

Some Bakram knights have found their way into Lanselot and Ronwey's secret meeting.

What farce! They're here under your orders! You've conspired against me, Tartaros!

Lanselot says as he looks back with his only eye. It's a good thing his sprite and character art don't matchup or else he would mightily stupid right now.

Vyce walks in through the back door, and...

Your grace, to me!

With that Ronwey collapses and dies.

Vyce wastes no time in doing what he does best. I mean the man is dead and Vyce is still trying to antagonize him. At least he's consistent.

You're next, Lanselot!

Ambition has poisoned you. It will be your downfall.

Kill him.

Vyce's goons move to surround Lanselot, but then...

A flash of red light emanating for outside fills the room.

After that the screen goes black and we get a chance to save.

While all that was happening the Dark Knights Oz and Ozma were having trouble dealing with some "locals."

Whose black coin fills your purse, eh? Surely not Brantyn's.

Your own lack of restraint has brought this upon you. Now, yield!

Words you'll regret, churl!

I was wondering when we would show up.

Seeing their chance, the Oz twins scuttle off.

Let them go. We'll deal with this lot first!

These Bakram are green to battle. Take out their leader, and their ranks will crumble.

For the most part Denam is right, these guys suck.

It might be because we didn't really do much in the last fight or maybe it's that feeling of murder that's the air, but I feel like killing all these guys. Even though to start with the enemy is well spread out most of the fighting will take place by the house in the center of the map.

There will be a few stragglers coming in from the north so we will want to send a few people up there to deal with them.

And by a few people, I mean Hobyrim.

There is also Cleric to worry about. We will be using Canopus to keep her in check. She can't out heal the damage Canopus is doing, but she will spend every turn trying to do so.

HIram, our target for this battle, isn't making our kill everyone plan any easier by jumping into frontline.

A Knight heals the wounded Cleric. This is only delaying the inevitable, but it keeps the Knight out of our hair.

While a Knight gets a hit in on Staticpulse.

Poof!

The Knight used Rampart Shadow to do exactly as the name implies. He created a shadow of himself that acts as a barricade with a Rampart Aura. This was a pretty smart move be the enemy AI as the separates Hobyrim and the rest of the party. However, Rampart Shadow has two major draw backs. The first is that the shadow only has 1 HP, so it can easily be taken down by a rock.

Arycelle will demonstrate the second.

When the Knight dies so does his shadow.

With now knights in the way Cake Attack is free to swoop in and take out an Archer.

Normally Hiram won't be able to move next to Voltare because the outer most square his aura would stop Hiram in the square next to the house (so at best Hiram would be able to move one space forward). Except in this situation Hiram has a way around Voltare's aura.

Hop Hop

Yep, if an ally monster is large enough you can use it as a makeshift platform.

Not that doing this did Hiram any good.

Up above, Hobyrim is trading blows with a Rune Fencer.

While we're at it we send Cake Attack up to lend him support. Not that he needs it at the moment.

Down below things are going well. Our forces are keeping the enemy spread out and picking them off one by one.

Canopus finally finishes off the Cleric.

As the battle drags on a rain storm blows in.

An Enchantress, who's been hiding in the top corner of the map, manages to petrify the approaching Hobyrim.

It's a good thing we sent Cake Attack in after him as support.

Some more time passes as we isolate and defeat our enemies.

God drat it, Hobyrim!

Cake Attack can't keep saving your rear end. Mainly because that was our last Gerun Powder.

However, Hobyrim manages to reach the Enchantress before she petrified him again, so it's time for some pay back.

She survives, but now she's the statue.

In a move that could be described as either shortsighted or plain idiotic (pick your favorite), we move Hobyrim away from the easy to kill Enchantress to chase down another enemy.

A few turns later, he and Leal have the fleeing Warlock surrounded.

But this gave the Enchantress enough time to get back into the action.

She then goes after Cake Attack with her favorite spell.

A while ago Canopus reach Rank 3 in the bow skill.

So he has a new finishing move to show us.

It attacks by shooting green.

It does more damage that the rank 2 finisher, in addition to putting its target to sleep.

A couple turns latter, Voltare finishes off the sleeping Knight.

And if I am?

You cut down Ronsenbach for what, to gain the support of those who still rally against the heirophant's loyals? It would serve to reason that you're here after the Duke's head, then. Ha! A cur come back to bite his master's hand!

Watch who you call cur!

We want the Duke dead as much as you, boy, but we do this alone. We've no need of a butcher's aid. Now lay down your swords, and we'll spare your lives.

If it's our swords you want, come and take them!

The sun begins to shine just in time for Leal and Hobyrim to deal with a Warlock.

He survives Leals attack only to be cut down by Hobyrim moments later. Now all that's left is our target Hiram and that annoying Enchantress.

Cake Attack breaks free and goes gets some revenge. The range on the dagger finishing move is kind of ridiculous, but who cares.

With all of Hiram's support taken care of Staticpulse seals the deal.

Mabye you will be a better judge of your situation in the next life, Hiram.

Congratulations

We get a few pages of loot for our troubles, but very little experience considering the average enemy out levels us at the moment.

Meanwhile, at the plot.

Vyce is freaking out. It seems like the Ozes used our battle as a distraction and made short work of Vyce's men.

Whatever shall we do with you?

Please... this was Brantyn's idea. It was him put me to this! I've no quarrel with the Dark Knights! Mercy, I beg you!

A rhetorical question if I've ever heard one.

What... whatever you wish. My honor is yours. I am at your command!

Then I command you to be silent.

I... I bear you no ill will, truly! It was a demon... an ogre crept inside me!

Urk!

Mercy, was it? Very well. I grant you your life.

Thank you! Thank you, sir!

But you are never to appear in my sight again!

Th-thank you! I won't! I swear it!

Away with you!

Vyce scampers away with whatever shame he can muster.

My thanks to you both.

A horse arrived from Phidoch a short while ago.

What? Who did this?

The Liberation Front, it seems.

Now that we have the princess, Prancet is of no further use... And yet I would rather not have him filling people's heads with scandal and hearsay. I will leave this matter in your capable hands. Find this party from the front and destroy them. I care not if Prancet should fall with them. All who know the truth must be dealt with, and swiftly!

On the honor of House Glacius, it will be done.

And what of Brantyn?

He's made his bed. Let him lie in it.

All the pieces seem to be falling into place for Lanselot and his Dark Knight, but we still know nothing about their end goal.

Next time: We take a moment to go visit some old friends.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Vyce... you utter poo poo. What the hell are you even doing?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
loving up at every turn, that's what Vyce is doing.

Perhaps he'll surprise us and do something competent next! :v:

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.

doomfunk posted:

loving up at every turn, that's what Vyce is doing.

Perhaps he'll surprise us and do something competent next! :v:

That's the rub - Schrödinger's Vyce operates very differently in the Chaos route than in the Law path - which is what I played way back when. Like he's basically a foil for whatever path Denam took, which leads him to being this complete and utter tool in the Chaos route.

I did always like the disconnect between the two Vyces if you played the game in quick succession. Still, since Vyce is still alive how else will he gently caress up either a. his own poo poo, b. our poo poo, c. other poo poo or d. all of the above?

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Getting petrified all the time

And that's exactly why you want a dedicated skill slot for Spell Ward. Even a rank 1 magic avoid will get those hit rates to ~25% or so.

Unless the enemy has a higher rank spell accuracy skill, then you just murder them really fast.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

MonotoneMorgan posted:

That's the rub - Schrödinger's Vyce operates very differently in the Chaos route than in the Law path - which is what I played way back when. Like he's basically a foil for whatever path Denam took, which leads him to being this complete and utter tool in the Chaos route.

I did always like the disconnect between the two Vyces if you played the game in quick succession. Still, since Vyce is still alive how else will he gently caress up either a. his own poo poo, b. our poo poo, c. other poo poo or d. all of the above?

Well, he's got nobody to run to but Brantyn. How happy do you think the bishop will be to see Vyce after he botched this last mission?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That is just pitiful Vyce. Begging at the feet of the guy who burned down your town like a bitch.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Staticpulse posted:

And that's exactly why you want a dedicated skill slot for Spell Ward. Even a rank 1 magic avoid will get those hit rates to ~25% or so.

Spell Ward is probably the single most essential skill in the game. Nothing benefits characters like effective immunity to status effects. Especially later in the game, when enemies drop the lower ranks of offensive spells, carrying only III and IV, but still have the status spells kicking. The AI's fetish for doing things regardless of if they help, when combined with the damaging spells costing 40+ while status spells cap at 30, means they'll be flinging Poison Mists even if saving up for Acid Rain is a much better choice. It applies to much more dangerous spells like Stormspark, Petrifog, or Black Williwaw. Spell Ward turns a Petrifog from taking 2 frontliners to 0.

The enemy's also terrible at setting up mages. This early Spellstrike is essential as magic is all about statuses and a good Spellstrike skill means Balmy Breeze is sleeping everyone in its range. Later, when high-end spells kick in, it's all about Spellcraft and Augment element to murderize people, and Expand Mind, Meditate, and other MP helping skills to cast said spells. The AI frequently forgoes all of these. Between that and your Spell Ward, an enemy Enchantress goes from making a statue garden to plinking your guys for 5 damage every now and then. This is huge in a game that values effective actions so much. Enemy mages essentially become blank slots in their roster, and your action economy gets a big swing, both from them not doing much to your side not having to clean up.

Quite a few classes top out at Spell Ward II, which isn't sufficient for nullifying status spells when others are getting III or IV, but still it's the difference between a 100% Shackle and 65%, which can sometimes save your rear end.

Spell Ward matters.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Dear god is Spell Ward necessary. I don't think any of my characters don't have it. I am not sure if it applies to skills that charm and stuff but spell ward/resist petrify is pretty much the only thing that keeps my sanity during a certain chapter 4 side quest.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Fangz posted:

Hey, Chronic Backstabbing Disorder is a completely genuine problem which hurts dozens of sufferers every century. It's not his fault that he's psychologically compelled to be a poo poo.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Elite posted:

Hey, Chronic Backstabbing Disorder is a completely genuine problem which hurts dozens of sufferers every century. It's not his fault that he's psychologically compelled to be a poo poo.

Makes me wonder what his next move would've been had he succeeded. Would he have plunged his dagger into Brantyn's back next? I think all Vyce knows is treachery.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

I love Chaos route Vyce. With all the comparisons TO gets to FFT, Chaos Vyce is like the bumbling, incompetent version of Delita. Instead of taking out underlings and rescuing princesses in order to curry favor with the real power brokers, Vyce tries to go from Ronwey's gopher to would-be assassin of the most badass Dark Knight in Valeria with five generics. :downs: WOMP WOMP

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Bregor posted:

I love Chaos route Vyce. With all the comparisons TO gets to FFT, Chaos Vyce is like the bumbling, incompetent version of Delita. Instead of taking out underlings and rescuing princesses in order to curry favor with the real power brokers, Vyce tries to go from Ronwey's gopher to would-be assassin of the most badass Dark Knight in Valeria with five generics. :downs: WOMP WOMP

If anyone was a candidate for the multitude of confusing stupidity with valor quotes, it'd be chaos Vyce.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neurion posted:

Makes me wonder what his next move would've been had he succeeded. Would he have plunged his dagger into Brantyn's back next? I think all Vyce knows is treachery.

In the absence of anyone else, he'd backstab himself.

I want to see that now, come to think.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 39: Doing All Right

Last time Vyce killed Duke Ronwey. I repeat, Vyce did something besides being an rear end in a top hat. He killed a defenseless, but evil, old man all while being a complete rear end in a top hat about it. It seems that during the backroom talk he had with Brantyn they hatched out a plan to kill both Ronwey and Lanselot Tartaros. Unfortunately, killing the leader of the Dark Knights was too great of a challenge for Vyce and he ran with his tail between his legs. While all that was happening we killed a bunch of Bakram soldiers.

With nowhere else to go we follow the game's suggestion and head to Almorcia.

Not now game. We have other things to do.

I still love that we can just cancel out of random battles.

After arriving at Almorcia, Denam finds little resistance from his former comrades.

Those who refused surrender have already left the castle.

We are yours to command, my lord.

It was Sir Leonar's order that we surrender, should it come to that.

What's done is done. We must look forward now.

After hearing this Denam dramatically walks towards the window. It's speech time!

They embroil Valeria in unending war to satisfy their lust for power. How many innocents have suffered for their greed? When we still lived under the heel of the Galgastani, I swore I would never follow in their footsteps.

Are you prepared to do the same?

Those of us who remain have long harbored doubts about the duke's methods. I cannot say that all are prepared to make such sacrifice. But we will follow your example as best we can.

That was nice of him.

He took with him those who would not listen or yet supported the duke in spite of the truth.

I was to march for Balmamusa, but Sir Leonar commanded me to stay. He did the same for anyone he felt might balk at such an order. When the deed was done, he told us he meant to bear the blame, and that you were to carry on in his stead.

Accept us among you. On our lives, I swear you will never have cause to regret it!

Now we have the entire Walister Resistance at our disposal. They're not going to join our party nor is the game going to turn into an RTS any time soon, but their existence help explain how we have the manpower to do some of the things we will do in the future. Also, I guess Leonar was one of those self-sacrificing, "I'll bloody my own hands to keep others clean"-types all along.

Sometime later.

The Xenobians are sitting idly by.

Canopus and Denam walk in. Making sure to close the door behind them.

And Denam, too! I am glad to see you both well.

And you, Sir Mirdyn. Sir Gildas.

How is he?

It could be worse, I guess.

That is well, then. And Lanselot? Has he not returned?

Okay it got worse.

They held us at a camp outside Rhime. We would be there still if not for you. What is next for you? An assault on Phidoch, I suppose?

That's the plan. A rift grows between Brantyn and the Dark Knights. While they contend with one another, we stand a good chance of taking the castle.

As it happens, we have a score of our own to settle.

Gildas, are you asking what I think you're asking?

Denam agrees without hesitation.

Good. How soon do we leave?

Just then, a messenger interrupts with some important news. These resistance guys are paying off already.

Sir Denam! Word from our shadows in the Bakram army. The Dark Knights have dispatched a lone company from Phidoch. They travel by stealth for Boed.

Boed, of all places?

The Liberation front! But why would the Dark Knights move against them now?

Whatever the reason, no good will come of it. Best have a look for ourselves.

Let's move.

These are for Gildas and Mirdyn's special class. We'll see what they can do later.

I was going to say "do you even have to ask game?' but then I realized this is not a question. It's a statement.

A statement we should all agree with.

Double :toot:

With that the world is open to us again.

Now I going to take a tour around our new territory killing every highwaymen and monster I can find. I'll see you later.

Next time: We go see what the Dark Knights are up to in Boed.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Oh, how I wanted to use the white knights but couldn't be assed to level them up. I THINK in my first playthrough file, they're only about 4 or 5 levels behind the rest of my party. They just...meh. They're good, but not excellent like the unique you can obtain in chapter 4L.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 18, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sooo did we just get two Beowulfs?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Words cannot express how sad I was that our knightbros don't come with unique swords anymore :( But Gildas' raw :black101: helps some. And they're still pretty solid units if you level them up.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yeah I agree they're solid if unspectacular. I would have wanted a bit more offense or speed, but sending them to the front lines to heal HP and statuses and then unleash finishing moves is a pretty decent niche. Velocity Shift also has its uses.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When I first played the PSX version, this part made me riot. I always had to use unique characters in strategy games like this, especially if they were unique classes. And these two were badass enough to roll with Lans, and as an Ogre Battle-obsessed teenager that was all the endorsement I needed.

They're no T.G.Cid / Arycelle, but they're a solid Knight++. At least in the PSX version they're ready to roll, right out of the box. Now it takes a bit of levelling to get them up and running. At least you can usually do new classes in batches.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Gildas and Mirdyn are pretty great, Gildas somewhat moreso because he's apparently the swiftest lumberjack the realm has ever produced. The class itself is tough as hell, and has a pretty awesome unique skill. Aside from that and some differences with spell selection it's virtually identical to Knight.

Also a few uniques other than those dudes can become it! Three or four, I think. Not Canopus, unfortunately.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

doomfunk posted:

Gildas and Mirdyn are pretty great, Gildas somewhat moreso because he's apparently the swiftest lumberjack the realm has ever produced. The class itself is tough as hell, and has a pretty awesome unique skill. Aside from that and some differences with spell selection it's virtually identical to Knight.

Also a few uniques other than those dudes can become it! Three or four, I think. Not Canopus, unfortunately.

Yeah the more i played through, the more I realized I should use Gildas more because he just seems like an awesome bro instead of a goody goody like Midryn.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Woo, White Knights. I don't think there's any reason to use regular knights after you get these guys.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Do the White Knights still get their sick burns in combat text vs. opposition later on?

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

doomfunk posted:

Unless I'm mistaken the only other character that can use the White Knight classmark is Ravness, and she is kind of dead by this point on the chaos route.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Unless I'm mistaken the only other character that can use the White Knight classmark is Ravness, and she is kind of dead by this point on the chaos route.

The other super secret law route character can too, though there's not much reason to change them from their own unique class.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

doomfunk posted:

Yea I think hes the 4th fastest character or something ridiculous. Shame the white knight is so slow and mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hey, uh, I made fanart, of sorts.

(If any have you have WWE '14 on PS3, he's a complete character and available to download too.)

• Locked thread