Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Walton Simons posted:

If you are going to fire up Deus Ex, I highly recommend Deus Exe if you don't already know about it to get it running at 1080p or whatever you're using. Forcing AA on through my graphics drivers also worked really well for me. Won't take you long at all will get a very obviously 13 year old game looking a lot neater.

When I say "re-play Deus Ex", I finished my first playthrough around this time last year so it's up-to-date on mods. So is System Shock 2 though. I'll probably just play SS2 for now until I admit to myself I'm only doing this to delay finishing Xenoblade because I don't want it to end :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Walton Simons posted:

I had no idea Tiger had gone and I'd love to play a golf game. I would also love to know this.

Things do not look good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_golf_video_games

Everything I've read suggests that the PC version of PGA Tour 12 is a stripped down pseudo-demo for their online "free" microtransaction-laden game, and the graphics on the John Daly game don't really seem much better than Tiger '08, which means '08 is probably still the best PC option available. Alas.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I was hoping for someone to help me try and find a game for me to throw my money at:
I have two main things I've been playing recently, racing games like DiRT 3 and Formula 1 2013, and I really do love the whole Codemasters style of slowly ramping up the difficulty by turning off assists over time, as well as the flashback mechanic. Is there any other games like DiRT and GRID (though I hear the second one's poo poo) or the Formula 1 Games? Preferably on PC.
Also, I picked up SNOW recently and fell in love with it. It is to skiing what SKATE was to skateboarding. Are there any other (once again, PC prefered) "hardcore" extreme sports games out there?
I know, my tastes are really niche.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for a new GBA game to play, I have a few I have played to death already, such as Tetris, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1&2, Golden Sun 1&2, and Phantasy Star Collection. I just just picked up The World Ends with You, and as such feel like giving my DS Lite a spin again. I was considering picking up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but am open to suggestions. While I am familiar with Metroid and Castlevania, I don't feel like playing them at the moment, and as for the games ported from the SNES, I have them all, and don't desire another copy.

Thanks thread.

The Metroidvania type games are my favorite GBA games :v:

But yeah the GBA Mario and Luigi is better than the DS one imo, Zelda: Minish Cap was good but not super groundbreaking or anything. Besides that my GBA was really stuff you've mentioned, the AW games, Metroidvanias, and SNES ports.

Kirby? Nightmare in Dreamland could be considered a port of the NES game but it's a complete remake and looked amazing for a GBA game. I like it. The other Kirby game (Amazing Mirror) was a Kirby metroidvania so of course I recommend it.

If you're a fan of Megaman games you should check out the Megaman Zero series. Really drat hard though, especially in the early games to get the good rankings and such.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, if you want to remember a time when the Kingdom Hearts story almost made sense, but they still decided to release the game explaining the story in between 2 PS2 games on the GBA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

numerrik posted:

Phantasy Star Collection

Oh, wow, you actually suffered through that and its terrible "whoops corrupted your saves" issue? That's impressive.

Either that or there was eventually a fixed version :v:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Recommendations for iPad games? I was recently gifted a hand me down iPad (my dad bought himself a new one) so I have zero idea of what good games exist for it. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and would like to load it up in advance.

I'd love to find some sort of persistent strategy game or maybe a solid RPG. On the strategy side of things, I like games that have base building and/or a long continuous campaign or freeplay setting. I love the Anno series, all the Total War games, Civilization, etc. Military action isn't super important to me (though it's fun) – I'm just as happy building up a trading empire in Anno as I am blowing poo poo up with cannons in Total War. Starting from nothing and building an empire is what I like most in these games.

For the RPG I'd like something with a good story and decent character advancement. I enjoy pretty much all RPGs with the exception of anything leaning towards anime... sadly I haven't liked any of the FF games since the late 90s and don't really want to revisit any of them. Something along the lines of Dragon Age would be perfect. I've loved all of the Fallout games, anything created by Bethesda, and most of the Bioware RPGs.

Speaking of which, are the Baulder's Gate ports worth a drat?

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 11, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Look into Shadowrun Returns, I'd say.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
I'm looking for a game that's like Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy on the PC

I'd love to play Heavy Rain but afaik it's only on consoles.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar games?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Immortal Wombat posted:

The nearest thing's probably The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us, both by Telltale Games and both really great adventure games.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Immortal Wombat posted:

You can use a PS2 emulator to play Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

More seriously, what specifically about IP did you like that you want to see more of? There are plenty of great adventure games out there, they just don't have the scripted QTE sequences.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

kedo posted:

Recommendations for iPad games? I was recently gifted a hand me down iPad (my dad bought himself a new one) so I have zero idea of what good games exist for it. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and would like to load it up in advance.

I'd love to find some sort of persistent strategy game or maybe a solid RPG. On the strategy side of things, I like games that have base building and/or a long continuous campaign or freeplay setting. I love the Anno series, all the Total War games, Civilization, etc. Military action isn't super important to me (though it's fun) – I'm just as happy building up a trading empire in Anno as I am blowing poo poo up with cannons in Total War. Starting from nothing and building an empire is what I like most in these games.

For the RPG I'd like something with a good story and decent character advancement. I enjoy pretty much all RPGs with the exception of anything leaning towards anime... sadly I haven't liked any of the FF games since the late 90s and don't really want to revisit any of them. Something along the lines of Dragon Age would be perfect. I've loved all of the Fallout games, anything created by Bethesda, and most of the Bioware RPGs.

Speaking of which, are the Baulder's Gate ports worth a drat?

If you don't have Xcom on another platform, then I'd get that since that might lightly scratch both itches SIMULTANEOUSLY, while twisting q-tips in your ears

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The nearest thing's probably The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us, both by Telltale Games and both really great adventure games.

I forgot to mention I'd been playing a bit of Walking Dead and have been enjoying it. I'll have to give Wolf Among Us a look. Thanks :)

MrBims posted:

what specifically about IP did you like that you want to see more of?

It was quite a long time ago that I played it, but as far as I can remember the game was more about making choices than collecting stuff. I really hate spending hours of game time just searching for some ribbon to tie onto a pair of scissors to make a grappling hook or whatever.

I also liked the whole theme of insanity and hallucinations and poo poo. The same as most people though I didn't like it when it got completely bonkers later in the game.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

numerrik posted:

I'm looking for a new GBA game to play, I have a few I have played to death already, such as Tetris, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 1&2, Golden Sun 1&2, and Phantasy Star Collection. I just just picked up The World Ends with You, and as such feel like giving my DS Lite a spin again. I was considering picking up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, but am open to suggestions. While I am familiar with Metroid and Castlevania, I don't feel like playing them at the moment, and as for the games ported from the SNES, I have them all, and don't desire another copy.

Thanks thread.

The GBA version of Final Fantasy 5 is a good game, and you can invent challenges a la Four Job Fiesta to make it significantly harder. It might be the definitive release of that game, actually. I also recommend the Mega Man Battle Network games for fun gameplay, and the Yu-Gi-Oh poo poo is good if you like card battle games.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Immortal Wombat posted:

It was quite a long time ago that I played it, but as far as I can remember the game was more about making choices than collecting stuff. I really hate spending hours of game time just searching for some ribbon to tie onto a pair of scissors to make a grappling hook or whatever.

I also liked the whole theme of insanity and hallucinations and poo poo. The same as most people though I didn't like it when it got completely bonkers later in the game.

For choices that affect the game try Alpha Protocol, that game can turn out very, very differently depending on what you do. In fact, multiple playthroughs are recommended to understand the whole plot. There's a thread in here which gives you the basics. Loved despite the janky as hell gameplay.

Also Fallout New Vegas, which responds brilliantly to your choices. Everyone is killable and there are four main people you can do things for and many more factions. The choices you make will affect all of them.

For insanity and hallucinations, I have to mention Spec Ops: The Line. It starts off like a standard squad based military shooter but it becomes clearer and clearer that your character isn't quite right. I don't want to give too much away but it's short at 6 hours and the gameplay is standard fare but the plot is so good, a 'take that' to the genre, that I remember it vividly long after I played it and the 'PYF Little Things in Games' thread circlejerks over it about once a month. It's brilliant.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you don't have Xcom on another platform, then I'd get that since that might lightly scratch both itches SIMULTANEOUSLY, while twisting q-tips in your ears

I had no idea that even existed on the iPad, thanks! I've been eyeing it for awhile on PC.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kedo posted:

I had no idea that even existed on the iPad, thanks! I've been eyeing it for awhile on PC.

The Deus Ex game is also extremely well-done.

Also, there's a whole thread of opinionated iOS sorts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

If it's between getting XCom on the iPad and PC, I'd say go for the PC version, if only because the iPad version doesn't have the expansion and never will - they already had to cut some maps and reduce texture quality on the iOS version to get it in under the App Store size restritions; the expansion is just too large for them to put on there.

That said if you're just looking for a good tactical game for iOS, it's probably the best choice you can make.

One to keep an eye on as well is Autumn Dynasty: Warlords, which isn't out yet but is supposed to be soon. It's essentially a 4X/RTS hybrid kind of like the Total War games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Immortal Wombat posted:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've really enjoyed the challenge and combat of Dark Souls. Is there anything similar to it on the 360, Wii, or 3DS?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

CowboyAndy posted:

I've really enjoyed the challenge and combat of Dark Souls. Is there anything similar to it on the 360, Wii, or 3DS?

Yes, Dark Souls 2, available on March 11th!

Until then, you might check into the Monster Hunter franchise of games. I haven't played them since the PSP, but apparently it has some very strong showings on the Wii and 3DS.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Dragon's Dogma for the 360 and (as mentioned) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS are pretty good.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

This game is a total bitch to play at times, but I would always recommend at least giving it a try. It's so wonderfully batshit ambitious!

Edit: realised I should say why!

Omikron is a sprawling third person rpg, but also an fps, puzzle game, fighting game, fourth wall breaking, hard as gently caress monstrous masterpiece that never quite succeeds in any of these things.

It's got a soundtrack so good most of it was released as a real commercial album, features David Bowie essentially playing himself and allows you to slip between bodies as and when necessary. The game world is phenomenally huge and detailed for a dreamcast game, with shops, apartments and other buildings open for business (unusually for the era even in non-plot related areas).

It's save system is abysmal and god forbid you forgot to get good at a new play mechanic introduced only minutes ago. There's stealth, action, suspense, romance, David Bowie, nightclubs, even more Bowie and just.... Everything.

However, it is also a terrible game.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 13, 2014

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
Got myself an old turd of a Mac laptop, running on OS X 10.6.8 with 1 GB of RAM and integrated graphics. I want to play something besides Deus Ex, so I'm looking for recommendations of games that will run on this thing, whether natively or with WINE, preferably but not necessarily keyboard-only. Anything that isn't a puzzle game or adventure game is fine.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey, how's Okamiden on the DS? I disliked the Wii Okami because of the finicky waggle controls. Is it any better on the DS?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mick Swagger posted:

Got myself an old turd of a Mac laptop, running on OS X 10.6.8 with 1 GB of RAM and integrated graphics. I want to play something besides Deus Ex, so I'm looking for recommendations of games that will run on this thing, whether natively or with WINE, preferably but not necessarily keyboard-only. Anything that isn't a puzzle game or adventure game is fine.

VVVVVV was my favorite time waster on my old MacBook and it's keyboard only. Lots of other indie games should fit the bill as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey, how's Okamiden on the DS? I disliked the Wii Okami because of the finicky waggle controls. Is it any better on the DS?
Okamiden is okay and controls much better. I don't really recommend it to people who've finished Okami because over half the game is set in the exact same areas except uglier and with more invisible walls and less interactivity - still a great achievement for the DS, don't get me wrong - but if it's all new to you you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to bump this to the top but didn't see any other recommend threads.

I'm looking for a game which I can download, free or otherwise, that comes in a .zip or similar so that you don't need to install it. I work on-call but am on-site in my department and unable to install anything. I'm not looking for a way to bypass this, just looking for games like the late 90's sort of freeware where it downloads in a zip file.

An example would be Starsector which I picked up and have played to death.

I don't care about genre, anything goes. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I'm looking for a game which I can download, free or otherwise, that comes in a .zip or similar so that you don't need to install it. I work on-call but am on-site in my department and unable to install anything. I'm not looking for a way to bypass this, just looking for games like the late 90's sort of freeware where it downloads in a zip file.

I don't care about genre, anything goes. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Almost any roguelike will fit the bill: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What good Steam games are there for $2.50 or less? I wanna spend my card money!

HellsEmbrace
Jul 14, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Specifically, Dungeon Crawl and ToME 4 are both turn-based games that can be paused or saved at any time and picked up later. They should work perfectly for your purposes, I would think.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HellsEmbrace posted:

Specifically, Dungeon Crawl and ToME 4 are both turn-based games that can be paused or saved at any time and picked up later. They should work perfectly for your purposes, I would think.

I've actually played the piss out of ToME but will check out dungeon crawl- thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm trying to find a game where you play as some kind of Renaissance-era merchant family, like in Venice or something. I remember seeing the boxes in a used book store I was browsing once, and it seemed kind of neat, but I can't really remember the name!

Failing that, are there any recommendations for games set in that sort of era and premise? I'm looking for a kind of strategy game where you have to focus a lot on trading, economics and commerce.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm trying to find a game where you play as some kind of Renaissance-era merchant family, like in Venice or something. I remember seeing the boxes in a used book store I was browsing once, and it seemed kind of neat, but I can't really remember the name!

Failing that, are there any recommendations for games set in that sort of era and premise? I'm looking for a kind of strategy game where you have to focus a lot on trading, economics and commerce.

Guild 1/2? Guild 1 Gold is on GOG, Guild 2: Renaissance is the latest standalone (and is still kind of buggy). There's also Patrician (3 or the more modern but simplified 4), and Crusader Kings 2: Republics.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

DrSunshine posted:

Technically, Assassin's Creed II has you play as a member of a somewhat prominent family that meets famous Italians.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
myth 2 was the best rts

awesome single player with a kick rear end story to boot

multiplayer was cool too with the points based system for making your army. you got like 500 points at the start of the match to buy dudes and that was it. remember how the announcer with his monotone voice, always informing you of 'Casualties'? they mattered.

seems like so many rts games today are about clicks per second and resource management. that's what I want to avoid.

alright just watch this. the game hasn't aged well but the core concepts behind it are all there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnioEln1ars

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm looking for a mashup of two genres. Base building game with a more hands on approach to defense. Basically like Dungeon keeper but with a more fleshed out first person mode, or Sanctum with more base building. So far I've found Hinterland which kind of looks like it'll scratch that itch, and this game in early access called Planet Explorers is not bad, although there isn't really much to defend your base from.
In a perfect world I'd find a game that had the base building of Stronghold with the fighting mechanics of Mount and Blade. Setting isn't a big deal, it doesn't have to be fantasy.

Any other games out there with a similar vibe? I remember reading about a jrpg where you build the town with items you get in a dungeon, but I am hoping to find something for PC.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrBox posted:

I'm looking for a mashup of two genres. Base building game with a more hands on approach to defense. Basically like Dungeon keeper but with a more fleshed out first person mode, or Sanctum with more base building. So far I've found Hinterland which kind of looks like it'll scratch that itch, and this game in early access called Planet Explorers is not bad, although there isn't really much to defend your base from.
In a perfect world I'd find a game that had the base building of Stronghold with the fighting mechanics of Mount and Blade. Setting isn't a big deal, it doesn't have to be fantasy.

Any other games out there with a similar vibe? I remember reading about a jrpg where you build the town with items you get in a dungeon, but I am hoping to find something for PC.

I have hinterland and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Gameplay is pretty simplistic. I'd spend $5, at most $10 on it.

Capuano
Mar 17, 2009
What are some good competitive multiplayer games that don't involve murdering things? I typically spend my time playing Dota 2 and Chess hth

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Capuano posted:

What are some good competitive multiplayer games that don't involve murdering things? I typically spend my time playing Dota 2 and Chess hth

Civilization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capuano
Mar 17, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Civilization?

I'm a huge fan of the Civilization games. It's been my experience, though, that more often than not the multiplayer games inevitably devolve into military conflicts at one point or another. That, and the games last a bit longer than I'd like.

edit: It doesn't necessarily have to be super deep like chess or Civ. Just enough to make me think a little bit.

Capuano fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2014