Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Nope, it should be in the rar file. If it isn't in there, try downloading the archive file again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you google around, there are a lot of runtime packages floating around you can download. Just make sure you get the right version since later versions don't play well with old games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the help guys- finally got the game to work :)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

There is a new comic by Karaagetarou out, this one featuring more of Nitori's crazy inventions. It's being translated on danbooru, and only about a third of it is done, but but it seems to be getting completed fast.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/7783 (standard danbooru :nws: warning)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rectus posted:

There is a new comic by Karaagetarou out, this one featuring more of Nitori's crazy inventions. It's being translated on danbooru, and only about a third of it is done, but but it seems to be getting completed fast.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/7783 (standard danbooru :nws: warning)

I wasn't expecting for Gypsy Danger to show up, Karaagetarou is the best :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CommissarMega posted:

Got a bit of a question, and this ought to move faster than Pooshlmer. See, I've just downloaded Touhou A Live from here:
http://vgperson.com/games/touhoualive.htm

I'll be disappointed if Hisoutensoku isn't the Buriki Daioh analog.

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

I'll be disappointed if Hisoutensoku isn't the Buriki Daioh analog.

Mokou's chapter (Near-Future equivalent) was made in early 2009, so it's Patchouli Robo versus Yagokoro Daioh.

(You may have noticed I'm the translator. It's an okay game, I guess, but man was the translation process annoying.)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vgperson posted:

You may have noticed I'm the translator. It's an okay game, I guess, but man was the translation process annoying.

You translated an RPG Maker game? I would unironically love to hear about how much of a clusterfuck that must have been.

vgperson
Oct 29, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

You translated an RPG Maker game? I would unironically love to hear about how much of a clusterfuck that must have been.

Man, translating RPG Maker games has become my whole business. It's usually nothing too difficult, just editing the game like the creator themselves would to translate the messages and pictures.

But when you have all this "programming" to make something like the Live-A-Live battle system (which, by nature of the early RPG Makers, cannot be anything but extremely convoluted), and the guy decided to just copy and paste a whole bunch of crap instead of doing anything in a smart way... well, it gets tedious. And the game has a huge amount of maps, though I'm sure much of that is owed to every single possible encounter being its own copy of the battle screen.

I probably could have gone about things better - I've since developed some tools that would have helped - but it's no wonder I stick to horror and adventure games these days. :v:

Incidentally, Koki is slowly working on a sequel to Touhou-A-Live called Vanishing Fairy with a more SaGa-ish battle system, coded in a more sensible fashion. On the other hand, the plot's gotten even more absurd: There's a talking black crystal whose default name is Black. Everyone is a treasure hunter going into ruins that popped out of the ground out of nowhere. The Former Capital turned into a big metropolis with rival gangs and the mayor is an insane kappa with a giant robot who's doing black market dealings with a weapons supplier for the Lunarians...

...yeah, I might translate that too when it's done.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
On reflection, it makes sense that RPG Maker wouldn't necessarily be hard to work with just because it's RPG Maker. I was imagining you'd have trouble with character encoding, but the Latin alphabet is always part of Shift-JIS or whatever anyway, so that doesn't make any sense. And all told, just taking text and putting it on the screen is something that RPG Maker is good at! It can even manage some graphics if you don't mind pushing it. It's only if you want to use RPG Maker to make an RPG that everything turns to poo poo.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 5, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

[22:10] <&Polsy> http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22817212 Tom & Jerry, but with Touhous
[22:12] <&Polsy> this is distressingly well done

He's right, this vid owns.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

vgperson posted:

And the game has a huge amount of maps, though I'm sure much of that is owed to every single possible encounter being its own copy of the battle screen.

Imagine a giant :v: emoticon, only it's crying. That's my face as I imagine what you describe.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Namtab posted:

That was pretty great.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing

Namtab posted:

I was impressed... and then they started bringing in the cartoon style morphing. I never thought that seeing Reimu's head turn into the shape of a basketball would be so drat funny.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For those curious, you can find a comparison video here.

Thirding that it's really well done.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
I feel a little silly asking this here but it's probably the best place to ask, does anyone know if there is going to be an English patch of T14 that doesn't use that goofy patcher program?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I wouldn't think so. What problem would that solve?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I would really love to get more Orchestral Touhou like Marisa's remix here.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Haha, are you trying to make a suggestion?

Synthesizers are amazing these days, aren't they? I'm pretty sure I own the ones used to produce that track. Yes, even the choir. I think it's this one to be exact (check out the demos, doesn't it pretty much sound like that?)

I wonder how they went about choosing lyrics. Or what the lyrics are. It's kind of hard to make out. I know it's probably not Japanese, since EWQL's wordbuilder only really handles English or Latin phenome structure (with the Latin sounding WAY better).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What are your criteria for "like that one"? You mean the choir? That group apparently does that regularly.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Both of those things are great and I'm going to look more for songs by that circle.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

What are your criteria for "like that one"? You mean the choir? That group apparently does that regularly.

Hey Clarste, are you still doing manga translations? I noticed the latest two chapters of Wild And Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery pop up on various manga reader sites but nothing on the touhou wiki. Kinda curious if you got tired of translating them and someone else stepped up to do them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Hey Clarste, are you still doing manga translations? I noticed the latest two chapters of Wild And Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery pop up on various manga reader sites but nothing on the touhou wiki. Kinda curious if you got tired of translating them and someone else stepped up to do them.

Those were my rough drafts, uploaded without my permission because of leaks (well, not that that's unexpected). So unfortunately I'm still the only translator.

What's happening is that my editor (who also double checks the translation) has apparently gotten very busy this past half-year, so I finish the draft in a day or two and then the drafts sit there for months. I guess someone got tired of it and just uploaded them to the online readers, which annoys me because there are some pretty major errors (I think) and it's difficult if not impossible to replace them once they're up there. My plan for the future is to put a disclaimer page in front to make them feel bad about uploading it.

That said, my editor is also the person who's been providing me the raws, and he may or may not have disappeared off the face of the Earth. So... the process is pretty stalled, although not for lack of motivation on my part.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

Justus posted:

I wouldn't think so. What problem would that solve?

I'd held off on it originally since the idea, as I understood it, was that the patch would be released before a translation was in place, and that there wouldn't at any point be a "done" version of the patch, as the translation would be updated over time. For my part I'd have preferred a patch produced by a group that was willing to vouch that their translation was done and that they were satisfied with it, rather than one that was, at the time, professing not to really care what the characters were saying over Twitter. (Why are you producing a translation patch then?)

But you're right, I'd be immensely surprised if any groups decided to produce their own translation of DDC, given that this one exists and given that there are so many games out there that haven't been translated. I'll probably pick it up pretty soon. I'm still amazed that people translate these games at all - it's not something I should take for granted.

ikaragu fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 10, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ikaragu posted:

I'd held off on it originally since the idea, as I understood it, was that the patch would be released before a translation was in place, and that there wouldn't at any point be a "done" version of the patch, as the translation would be updated over time. For my part I'd have preferred a patch produced by a group that was willing to vouch that their translation was done and that they were satisfied with it, rather than one that was, at the time, professing not to really care what the characters were saying over Twitter. (Why are you producing a translation patch then?)

But you're right, I'd be immensely surprised if any groups decided to produce their own translation of DDC, given that this one exists and given that there are so many games out there that haven't been translated. I'll probably pick it up pretty soon. I'm still amazed that people translate these games at all - it's not something I should take for granted.

Look at it this way: if poo poo like "The Magic Eye of Laplace" can make it into a finished patch, you're still hosed even if you wait, so you might as well just go for it.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 10, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
My personal problem with the dynamic patcher is that it's a pain in the rear end to use in JP locale and multiple hard drives. There's also something to be said about the translation quality, but now it's about equal with the rest of the games.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing

Clarste posted:

Those were my rough drafts, uploaded without my permission because of leaks (well, not that that's unexpected). So unfortunately I'm still the only translator.

What's happening is that my editor (who also double checks the translation) has apparently gotten very busy this past half-year, so I finish the draft in a day or two and then the drafts sit there for months. I guess someone got tired of it and just uploaded them to the online readers, which annoys me because there are some pretty major errors (I think) and it's difficult if not impossible to replace them once they're up there. My plan for the future is to put a disclaimer page in front to make them feel bad about uploading it.

That said, my editor is also the person who's been providing me the raws, and he may or may not have disappeared off the face of the Earth. So... the process is pretty stalled, although not for lack of motivation on my part.

I'd be willing to help out with editing if you want... it kinda depends on how complex the Japanese is, though.

soapydishwater
Feb 11, 2013

definitely not cleansing
Does anyone know any good remixes of the HM soundtrack? I actually really like the music, I can't stop listening to Marisa's theme.

VVV Oh, drat. I'm dumb. I never even realized that. Nevermind then, hahah.

soapydishwater fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 12, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The HM soundtrack is just remixes of other songs. Would those originals count?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

The HM soundtrack is just remixes of other songs. Would those originals count?

That chiptune remix of Bad Apple in Lotus Land Story is pretty good, huh?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Welp.

Maybe I'm just overestimating Touhou's popularity, but I always heard it's one of Japan's bigger indie game series, and it seems to have a decently big fan-following both in Japan and in the West. It just seems weird to me that there's so little interest in translating the stuff ZUN makes compared to all the fanworks that get translated. It took a long time until someone stepped up to translate Hopeless Masquerade, Clarse still seems to be the only one interested in translating Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery, and all the while dozens of fan mangas keep getting translated all the time.

I mean if we're all being honest here it's because Touhou fans on average are a buncha weirdoes and creeps who treat new games as an excuse to have more characters to ship with everyone else and don't bother with ZUN's mangas since he's going for fun fantasy stuff instead of writing about ~my OTPs~, but it's still pretty disappointing how little interest ZUN's stuff gets.

Show of hands: How many people in here even read the official mangas? Most of the time I tried to drum up some discussion on new chapters in the past there didn't seem to be much interest. I'm kinda curious how much people in here care about ZUN's work compared to the various fan works out there.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Zun is the best writer because he gives everybody proper piece of poo poo levels.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

a cartoon duck posted:

Welp.

Maybe I'm just overestimating Touhou's popularity, but I always heard it's one of Japan's bigger indie game series, and it seems to have a decently big fan-following both in Japan and in the West. It just seems weird to me that there's so little interest in translating the stuff ZUN makes compared to all the fanworks that get translated. It took a long time until someone stepped up to translate Hopeless Masquerade, Clarse still seems to be the only one interested in translating Wild and Horned Hermit and Forbidden Scrollery, and all the while dozens of fan mangas keep getting translated all the time.

I mean if we're all being honest here it's because Touhou fans on average are a buncha weirdoes and creeps who treat new games as an excuse to have more characters to ship with everyone else and don't bother with ZUN's mangas since he's going for fun fantasy stuff instead of writing about ~my OTPs~, but it's still pretty disappointing how little interest ZUN's stuff gets.

Show of hands: How many people in here even read the official mangas? Most of the time I tried to drum up some discussion on new chapters in the past there didn't seem to be much interest. I'm kinda curious how much people in here care about ZUN's work compared to the various fan works out there.

I'm new to the fandom but I've read all the official mangas, since they're focused more on the side characters and are more 'slice of life' are a good read (and also filled with neat/amusing details like Remilia using a baby chair :haw:)

The doujinshis are all over the place but there's a few circles than make amazing stories.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I vaguely remember hearing that Hopeless Masquerade was a pain in the rear end to translate. Or was it the fighting games? One of the two.

I've only read some of the official manga, and some of the doujin out there. And honestly, on both sides there's a wide degree of quality. I remember really loving the Three Fairies stuff, but when I first stumbled on Wild and Horned Hermit, the art style kind of threw me off a bit, so I've been slacking a bit on that one.

Honestly, I think some of the doujins out there I've seen are better written than ZUN's stuff, although there's also a fuckton of doujins and a lot of it is shipping crap. ZUN isn't the greatest writer in the world, but neither is anyone else.

That said, I agree that the official stuff should have more interest with regards of being translated. About the only reasonable excuse I can think of why more people aren't jumping on that wagon is that someone already has been translating the official stuff and has claimed dibs, whereas for the doujin some translators might go "Hey, I found this, no one's going to claim dibs, let's do it!"

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
When I had time to keep up with it, I read the official stuff and fanworks alike. I just haven't had time to read either recently.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

Zun is the best writer because he gives everybody proper piece of poo poo levels.

Seriously, this. I like that Zun just writes them as the biggest jerks instead of being terrible, generic animes. I know they aren't masterpieces, but they're silly and fun to read and that's good enough for me.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I haven't played any of the games since I'm not a fan of Shmups, but I've read most of Zun's mangas as well as a bunch of fan works, most of which have been very enjoyable so far.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I read them, and I like them some of the time, but I find myself wishing they would go deeper into the fun fantasy stuff. Wild and Horned Hermit started off pretty promising with Kasen squashing ghosts and acting like she was up to something, but a lot of the time it's just Reimu and friends hanging around the shrine explaining stuff at length, which makes Gensokyo seem like a pretty boring place where not much happens most of the time. The fairies manga were pretty similar, and Forbidden Scrollery has lots of cool fantastical elements but also threatens to go that way. The only Touhou manga where the characters did go off on a fantasy adventure was Silent Sinner in Blue, and from what I understand everyone hated that (and I don't blame them given the danmaku battle section - some of the individual spells were cool, but the whole thing just took forever and went absolutely nowhere).

For Hopeless Masquerade I thought that the game itself wasn't all that well liked in various quarters - it's Tasofro building a tradition of alienating all the fans of their previous fighting game whenever they release a new one. Considering how infamously difficult IaMP and SWR were to patch, and the fact that HM was getting new text patched into it throughout last year, it's kind of impressive that the patching effort has gone as far as it has. It's only been out for a year.

Also while I'll turn my nose up at a lot of the doujinshi there is definitely some really good stuff going on there. Yakumi Sarai's stuff is absolutely golden.

ikaragu fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 12, 2014

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I usually prefer ZUN's text-only stuff to the manga he works on. I really enjoyed Curiosities in Lotus Asia and Cage in Lunatic Runagate (they're lethargic and told by extremely pretentious narrators but that's much of the charm, really). Something about ZUN's storytelling just grabs me :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I haven't read any of the official stuff. :D