Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
well, yeah, now I really don't want to do the tubes.

MacAmp is for my project bench. part of it for me is going to be just the crafting of it, since I want to work on those skills. I planned to make the boards & poo poo removable so I can put them in something else when I get bored with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
got me some stable systems

can also now alter the various scalar fields interactively, and i got round to checking that it does indeed run fine in a browser windowwith a plugin. unity3d status: still owns

next thing is to write a velocity field overlay that mimics that wind map thing. ball trees here i come

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 11, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

anyone got any ideas for a UI for interactively altering vector fields? best i can think of so far is to have the generated vectors follow the stroke of the brush

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

coffeetable posted:

anyone got any ideas for a UI for interactively altering vector fields? best i can think of so far is to have the generated vectors follow the stroke of the brush
yeah maybe make the brush intensity follow a gaussian distribution based on distance from the center line, and have sliders to adjust the deviation and scalar

or maybe you could have "paddles" of different shapes and sizes and actually simulate moving them through the fluid, which is probably complicated as gently caress to simulate but idk

pic looks p cool btw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yo could do like surface modeling programs do and just select a bunch of points and then pull out a handle that sets direction and scale

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

that's p much all various kontakt samples and effectrix, arranged in reaper

from memory i think it's action strings, damage, embertone's canjo, signor paganini solo violin, ebow samples, and some cymbal swells. i've only really started to get heavily into using samplers in the past year or so because the current living situation makes it difficult to record my real instruments - too noisy. hence the above push to get in there and make myself do stuff anyway, figuring out how to do something interesting in a way that doesn't really require hooking up a microphone. i'll be able to get back to the real instruments in a few months, which is fun, but for now i'm using this as an opportunity to learn

cool man

thanks for the brakdown

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I keep meaning to get back to some of my old DOS programming projects. I started making a graphics library that targeted only old cards (Hercules/CGA/MCGA/Plantronics) but got bored with it. I also started writing a TCP library and got as far as setting up an interrupt handler for the packet driver, receiving ethernet packets, and sorting out ARP packets for processing, but then I discovered mTCP already existed.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 12, 2014

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

coffeetable posted:

you should be able to blow on the microphone to create wind in the simulation

i am 50% serious

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
PROJECT SMURF UPDATE

the blazer rumbles a bit these days.

Current status:

-New fuel system - new lines, fuel pump, filter, and I rebuilt the carb.
-did the rear brakes, they're not non-functional and thats all I ask for right now
-installed a little $29 tach just to ballpark my rpms, it works fine
-New battery - reman Interstate with a 2 year warranty for $50 cash out the door. fkn deal
-Crudely set timing via the greasy marks on the engine

Still to do:
-Set timing properly. I may need to create a vacuum lockout to limit the vac advance to like 12 degrees. But in order to limit it, i need to get my timing tape in so I can see how much the advance can adds in total.

Right now the thing starts and idles like a _dream_ - but on throttle open it stumbles and bogs, and occasionally spits a little poof backfire out the intake. I think what is happening is that vac advance is adding like 20 degrees timing at idle - but then when I lay into it, vac drops, timing retards, power goes away and I get those weird backfires. Hell, it might be a mix thing, I dunno, but I'm really leaning towards timing, as if I lay into it and keep it open, it'll run indefinitely, very poorly - but as soon as I let up and vac goes up, it revs back nicely to idle. If it was a lean/rich condition, it'd either die out as it ran out of fuel further, or come back as it burnt through the excess fuel in the intake

Timing on these, stock, is like so:

8 degrees before top dead center static timing; add 20 degrees from mechanical advance; add 20 degrees from vacuum advance to get total timing of 48 deg BTDC at cruise
How I want to set it up, I thinK:
16-20 degrees BTDC static, add 20 from mechanical advance, add 8-10 degrees from vacuum advance. Then vacuum drops less advance, I have more timing off idle, and it takes off better. Still a theory, but I think i'm onto something.

-Change oil. I ran it for a few last night and then drained out the oil. It's been in there since '09, but has only 800, maybe 1000 miles on it. It's not like it's full of sand or whatever. Going to run cheap oil, change after a day or two of hard runnin, then put in good oil.

-The water pump is functional, but old and rusty and doesn't look nice. I kind of want to put a new one on just for insurance.

-Um, fix the loose turn signal

other than that it'll be ready to drive to CO, barring random breaking of crap.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

post pics of said projects pls

You..you wanna see my space dollies? :shobon:

right now i'm just working on a table and terrain:

I need more stuff to fill out a full 4'x4' though.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

picked up my game programming book again. gonna make the next star control, all by myself. don't try to stop me

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

yo could do like surface modeling programs do and just select a bunch of points and then pull out a handle that sets direction and scale
yeah id ideally like something more "fluid" than this, but it's the best precise method ive found so far.

peepsalot posted:

or maybe you could have "paddles" of different shapes and sizes and actually simulate moving them through the fluid, which is probably complicated as gently caress to simulate but idk
this is cool too

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Werthog 95 posted:

picked up my game programming book again. gonna make the next star control, all by myself. don't try to stop me
if it's not a unity3d book, throw it away and get another

i cannot overstate what a joy unity is compared to wrestling with your own homebrew piece of poo poo graphics/physics/ui/whatever engine

Dec 26, 2012

Werthog 95 posted:

youll manage stopping well enough yourself :)

for real though good luck and hopefully you learn something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coffeetable posted:

i cannot overstate what a joy unity is compared to wrestling with your own homebrew piece of poo poo graphics/physics/ui/whatever engine

and i've barely even used it but wholly krap it really is a well designed piece of whatever it is

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

coffeetable posted:

no lie, unity's the tits

only problem i've had with it isn't even a problem with unity itself. i wrote a bunch of high-level game logic in ruby and i really really don't feel like porting it all to c# or unityscript

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hire a chinese or indian to do it for you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

coffeetable posted:

it's - get this - c++ & directx :lol:

i just kinda wanted to see how it works from the ground up before i hosed off to a real framework/engine/whatever. are there good unity books or should i just use the tutorials

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Werthog 95 posted:

it's - get this - c++ & directx :lol:

i just kinda wanted to see how it works from the ground up before i hosed off to a real framework/engine/whatever. are there good unity books or should i just use the tutorials

i'm p happy with unity 4.x game development by example

it assumes you've never programmed before so i skipped a lot of poo poo like "what's a variable?" in the first couple chapters but other than that it's p thorough and gets you in the thick of it quick enough

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Home beer brewing status update: got some swing top glass bottles (no more CO2-losing plastic ones) and some poo poo to make Weissbier.

Can't wait to brew it up this weekend :w00t:

Haven't had the time to solder the fermentation temp logger together yet, though. Hopefully I'll get time to finish it this weekend.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 12, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

DaTroof posted:

i'm p happy with unity 4.x game development by example

it assumes you've never programmed before so i skipped a lot of poo poo like "what's a variable?" in the first couple chapters but other than that it's p thorough and gets you in the thick of it quick enough

added to wishlist :-)

dang only 16 bucks on kindle heck yeah

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Xp5i8FaJk

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Werthog 95 posted:

added to wishlist :-)

dang only 16 bucks on kindle heck yeah

yeah, i bought the kindle version and it totally worked for me

reading the book on my tablet while following the examples on my desktop == woah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Doc Block posted:

Haven't had the time to solder the fermentation temp logger together yet, though. Hopefully I'll get time to finish it this weekend.

is this gonna be just a logger or also a controller of some kind? is there a point in knowing the beer temperature after the fact? or is it so slow that you can check it once a night and adjust accordingly or w/e

the only beer i've made is ginger beer and that one basically has a wide range of acceptable values and the only possible fuckup really is "it exploded everywhere" so it's pretty easy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

is this gonna be just a logger or also a controller of some kind? is there a point in knowing the beer temperature after the fact? or is it so slow that you can check it once a night and adjust accordingly or w/e

the only beer i've made is ginger beer and that one basically has a wide range of acceptable values and the only possible fuckup really is "it exploded everywhere" so it's pretty easy

fermenting beer takes a long time. anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the type of beer you're making. so hopefully it'll let me catch any fermentation temp issues before they ruin the batch (does it get too warm during the day, too cold at night, etc.). plus, if the batch doesn't turn out it'll let me know if the fermentation temperature was the problem or not.

depending on the recipe and the yeast you use, you can have a decent temperature range or a very narrow one. while this'll only be my second batch, most of the recipes I've looked at seem like they'll turn out alright if you keep it close to 72 degrees F (except lagers, which you've gotta keep at, like, 55 degrees F).

eventually this thing'll control the fermentation temperature directly. i'm thinking that i'll put the fermenter in a small fridge, and then control the fridge via a relay.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

PROJECT SMURF UPDATE
Still to do:
-Set timing properly.

is this a sbc? do you have a timing light? most of the time base timing is given assuming no advance at all, so make sure you have the vac advance disconnected (you don't need to plug it if it's connected to ported vacuum, but you should if it's connected to manifold) and just dial in base timing + mechanical advance. id say do all your tuning without the vacuum advance, it's only there to get you better economy while cruising. it will get out of the way when you step on it, anyway.

i made the mistake of leaving it connected while setting the base timing on my motor, and it ran like garbage until i realized that i was way retarding it from where it wanted to be. i guess the sweet spot will vary from motor to motor, mine's a 350 with vortec heads, the lt4 hot cam and 1.6 rockers, and it likes about 36 degrees all in. i think that puts base timing around 10-12 degrees btdc, although this is an msd distributor so yours might have more or less mechanical advance. you'd want to set it so your base+mechanical timing (with the advance "all in") is wherever you want it / the book says it should be, and let the idle fall wherever it may. then reconnect the vacuum advance and let it do its thing.

sorry for all this ai in your yospos

Raluek fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 13, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

car janitoring itt

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

coffeetable posted:

car janitoring itt

a distributor is basically a mechanical computer. but is it funny?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 13, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

is this a sbc? do you have a timing light? most of the time base timing is given assuming no advance at all, so make sure you have the vac advance disconnected (you don't need to plug it if it's connected to ported vacuum, but you should if it's connected to manifold) and just dial in base timing + mechanical advance. id say do all your tuning without the vacuum advance, it's only there to get you better economy while cruising. it will get out of the way when you step on it, anyway.

i made the mistake of leaving it connected while setting the base timing on my motor, and it ran like garbage until i realized that i was way retarding it from where it wanted to be. i guess the sweet spot will vary from motor to motor, mine's a 350 with vortec heads, the lt4 hot cam and 1.6 rockers, and it likes about 36 degrees all in. i think that puts base timing around 10-12 degrees btdc, although this is an msd distributor so yours might have more or less mechanical advance. you'd want to set it so your base+mechanical timing (with the advance "all in") is wherever you want it / the book says it should be, and let the idle fall wherever it may. then reconnect the vacuum advance and let it do its thing.

sorry for all this ai in your yospos
yeah, first gen sbc. I'm running full manifold vac to the distributor, and have been plugging it. I ordered timing tape from amazon so I'll be able to see timing outside of -4 to +12. when that comes in i'm going to set all-in to 36 (have a brand new aftermarket HEI with 20 degrees on the mechanical), not care about the base, and plug in the vac advance. Then tune carb best i can; after I get the mix good I can maybe go back and curve the distributor a bit, but I just want to get it solid coming off idle for now.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
sometimes at the garage i'll ask them to explain things using a computing analogy

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Raluek posted:

a distributor is basically a mechanical computer. but is it funny?

actually its a mechanical demux hth

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

which isn't even turing complete

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are carburetors computers? theyre analog calculating devices but i cant determine any more with all this perl spaghetti in my loving face this morning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a distributor isn't a computer but the spark advance is.
carburetors are definitely computers (input: throttle position, engine speed, air density; output: fuel flow) but they aren't general purpose or turing complete

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i was really bored so i made a thing: http://yospos.darkstar0.net/script/leperscolonyrss.php

its super poo poo: cron job runs wget every 15 mins to pull down http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php which is then passed using a horrible html dom library and presented as RSS.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cheese-cube posted:

i was really bored so i made a thing: http://yospos.darkstar0.net/script/leperscolonyrss.php

its super poo poo: cron job runs wget every 15 mins to pull down http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php which is then passed using a horrible html dom library and presented as RSS.

Punishment: BAN
Horrible Jerk: USSMICHELLEBACHMAN

haha

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

Come on dude. What the gently caress?

either log that thing in or do the word replace in reverse

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

cheese-cube posted:

have it xir way is a really loving good name

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Symbolic Butt posted:

Punishment: BAN
Horrible Jerk: USSMICHELLEBACHMAN

haha

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

Come on dude. What the gently caress?

either log that thing in or do the word replace in reverse

werthog i do not understand what are you going on about? you dont need to be logged in to view the banlist