Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most of the trouble I've been having so far is the fact that I'm really bad at figuring out how to make effective gear setups. I'm used to just using my abilities to take me as far as I need to go, but this is a game where the right combination of gear can effectively gently caress the enemy eight ways from Sunday. So I got to the Temple of Etro in the Wildlands and everything in that Temple wrecked me, the only things I could hurt without dying were Hanuman and his little buddies. I need to test out different gear combinations tomorrow because my setup is really not doing me any favors when Caius shits on me for 3000 damage when I guard a megaflare.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I like ImpAtom's suggestion of specializing the Schemas - I now have one with comically high strength, another with crazy magic, and a third with utility skills and my best guarding equipment as well as a high AP skill with bonused stagger damage. Without his suggestions I probably would have ended up with something far less optimal. My guide hasn't arrived yet but hopefully it will have some good ideas as well as the outfit it's supposed to come with.

Agree with the comments that there's more than a bit of reactionary groupthink in the reviews. One of them said something like "good battle system, good story, fun mechanics, I give it a 60" :psyduck:. Ultimately, while I'm sure square would love to sell this widely, it's a game made for fans of the first two games and was probably made cheaply enough that they don't have to care if anyone else likes it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

And yes, it is an actual mechanic. There are a limited number of most (but not all) monsters in the world. Reach the last one and they're gone forever.

Lightning Returns: Commit genocide for phat loot.

Everything I've heard about this game just makes it sound more and more utterly bonkers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Playing through XIII-2 again and it is frustrating because it should have been a good game. Like, stupid plot aide there are a lot of cool things but for every cool thing there is something that is tedious, unfun bullshit. Like Academia 400 AF and getting into encounters every two seconds, or the sudden difficulty swerve in the final act. With a few tweaks here and there the game would actually be good.

It feels like the game was pushed out before it was polished and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case because Square-Enix needed to make as much money as they could as quickly as they could because of XIV's complete failure.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Lightning Returns: Commit genocide for phat loot.

Everything I've heard about this game just makes it sound more and more utterly bonkers.

Yeah it's not really a Final Fantasy game or even a typical RPG. But I think that's why I'm liking it more than 13-2 so far. It definitely seems like a middle of the road game all things considered and if nonsense plot drives you crazy I'm not sure the gameplay holds up well enough to get you through it, but what makes this game probably the most interesting to me in the whole 13 series is that it seems like everything in the game is tailored in service of a few core gameplay concepts and not what people necessarily like or want from an RPG or a Final Fantasy game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Lumina supposed to look like Serah, or do all Final Fantasy characters just look alike to me?

(Just yes/no will suffice, I suppose.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Aphrodite posted:

Is Lumina supposed to look like Serah

Yes.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
On that note, how the hell did Lightning not even notice the fact she looks like Serah, at least in the demo?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

On that note, how the hell did Lightning not even notice the fact she looks like Serah, at least in the demo?

The demo is also the first part of the full game, for the record. You have access to more schemas and the timer UI isn't there, but it's the same otherwise.

That was going to be my follow-up question.

vvv Huh. I didn't notice that then. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 12, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

She does notice and mentions it explicitly in the full game.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Question. Has anyone ran into severe loading/freezing issues in the Dead Dunes? I'll get caught in a loading screen that never ends. (I sat there for 20 minutes and it kept loading) I've tried reinstalling the game data, but no dice. I submitted an email to SE support, but I doubt they will help much. I don't think its my PS3, as I can load and run any other game just fine.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Question. Has anyone ran into severe loading/freezing issues in the Dead Dunes? I'll get caught in a loading screen that never ends. (I sat there for 20 minutes and it kept loading) I've tried reinstalling the game data, but no dice. I submitted an email to SE support, but I doubt they will help much. I don't think its my PS3, as I can load and run any other game just fine.

Haven't been there yet although I had a weird freeze in the first city - my game seemed to chug for a second and then the whole PS3 locked up. It was pretty late so I haven't loaded it up again to see if I lost any progress.

Also, I wish there was some way to access the photos you take and upload to the Outerworld services.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I hate to admit it... I'm actually enjoying Lightning Returns so far. The story is par the course for the series so far, but the gameplay and the actual lack of hand holding are refreshing. Not to mention the ridiculous costume combinations are fun too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I ended up with a LR strategy guide, but not the game (thanks amazon?).

The guide literally mentions animation cancelling. If I had to make a list of every video game term I thought I'd see in a Final Fantasy I don't think that would've ever been on it.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Update on the issue I have: I tried loading up other save files, but all result in the same thing. I cannot leave Dead Dunes at all. It will enter an endless loading screen. I've even tried starting a new game, and I get an endless loading screen there as well. :(

I can verify it isn't my disc drive or anything, as all my other games work just fine. I went down and rented a copy of the game, and the same issue happens.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 12, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

Update on the issue I have: I tried loading up other save files, but all result in the same thing. I cannot leave Dead Dunes at all. It will enter an endless loading screen. I've even tried starting a new game, and I get an endless loading screen there as well. :(

I can verify it isn't my disc drive or anything, as all my other games work just fine. I went down and rented a copy of the game, and the same issue happens.

Did you do a data install?

If no, do that.

If yes, undo that.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Aphrodite posted:

Did you do a data install?

If no, do that.

If yes, undo that.

Yeah, I've tried both of those, and it doesn't fix the issue. I've also tried a file system restore. Same thing happens even after that. I'm pretty much out of ideas, barring me completely reformatting my PS3.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo that Snow fight was radical. The dude just straight up dodges your poo poo and counters you if you try to go in on him too hard. Then he goes into Ci'eth mode and everything just gets better. Blinded by Light playing during the fight was also absolutely fantastic, this game has done a great job reusing tracks for certain situations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, I've tried both of those, and it doesn't fix the issue. I've also tried a file system restore. Same thing happens even after that. I'm pretty much out of ideas, barring me completely reformatting my PS3.

Try deleting the save? I know that's poo poo but if your next option is wiping your PS3 then your save data's already hosed. Or load an earlier save if you were lucky enough to make one (does the game even let you? I haven't tried).

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Try deleting the save? I know that's poo poo but if your next option is wiping your PS3 then your save data's already hosed. Or load an earlier save if you were lucky enough to make one (does the game even let you? I haven't tried).

The problem is, I've tried loading an earlier save, and the same issue happens. Try starting a new game? Happens again. It's only happening on Lightning Returns. None of my other games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Have you tried making a new user account and seeing if a new game there would work? Not sure what else I could think of.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

DarkstarIV posted:

Have you tried swapping out for a new disc? I'd prefer that to formatting

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Have you tried swapping out for a new disc? I'd prefer that to formatting

Yeah, I've tried a new disc and the same thing happens. I'm probably just going to subscribe to PS+, back up all my saves, and reformat at this point. Thanks for trying to help me though!

Reive
May 21, 2009

When I heard Lightning was anime Jesus now I didn't believe it, but it's pretty much exactly that, which I can't tell if I like the idea because of how silly it is or if I just have a thing for storylines involving cosmic beings. (probably both)

My only question is how much does the whole 13 day countdown thing actually effect the game?
Like I know I get time energy (esperia?) for saving souls, but does that mean if I dilly dally around too much I won't have enough time to save the 'goal' amount of people?
It's probably not nearly as complex as I think it is, for better or worse.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Reive posted:

When I heard Lightning was anime Jesus now I didn't believe it, but it's pretty much exactly that, which I can't tell if I like the idea because of how silly it is or if I just have a thing for storylines involving cosmic beings. (probably both)

My only question is how much does the whole 13 day countdown thing actually effect the game?
Like I know I get time energy (esperia?) for saving souls, but does that mean if I dilly dally around too much I won't have enough time to save the 'goal' amount of people?

You get the ability to stop time within like the first hour of the game and it is trivially easy to get the resource you spend to do it. The countdown is only as much of a factor as you want it to be.

If someone makes a specific thread for 13-3 it needs to be "Final Fantasy 13-3: You can stop time. The countdown doesn't matter."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Reive posted:

Basically you have to finish all the main quests, which will get you to the end of the game I believe. If you do a bunch of sidequests in addition to the main quests, you can unlock an extra day and a bonus dungeon or something. Supposedly the time limit is extremely generous IF you make liberal use of Chronostasis.

Edit:

chumbler posted:

You get the ability to stop time within like the first hour of the game and it is trivially easy to get the resource you spend to do it. The countdown is only as much of a factor as you want it to be.

If someone makes a specific thread for 13-3 it needs to be "Final Fantasy 13-3: You can stop time. The countdown doesn't matter."

That being said, I watched a couple minutes of some streams, and people were getting like .04 EP per battle, and battles were rare. That would require 25 battles to get a single EP for Chronostasis. I'm guessing you can't use it all that liberally early on.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

That being said, I watched a couple minutes of some streams, and people were getting like .04 EP per battle, and battles were rare. That would require 25 battles to get a single EP for Chronostasis. I'm guessing you can't use it all that liberally early on.

The EP received depends on difficulty and what you're fighting. Easy mode will almost double your gains, while lowering the EP costs for some abilities, and you don't have a time penalty for escaping from battles - so you'll have a lot more time on Easy if you want to take it slow.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Got to the Noel fight and got my rear end kicked so I'm taking a breather. Maybe I'm trying it too early but I didn't even get his health down a quarter way. Even the enemies in the graveyard were killing me so I just started running by them. I've completed 4 or so side quests and my Schema setup is pretty good, I think. Each one has some kind of lightning attack at least.

I'll just wait and see if Amazon gets back to me about the preorder codes today and then mess around with my setups some more.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe playing on hard? You only get half EP on hard mode. It's felt pretty easy for me to keep time mostly stopped although I did run down my EP stash once because I stupidly overclocked to crush an enemy I was struggling with.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Maybe playing on hard? You only get half EP on hard mode. It's felt pretty easy for me to keep time mostly stopped although I did run down my EP stash once because I stupidly overclocked to crush an enemy I was struggling with.

Nah, these were people who had never played the game before, and you need to beat it at least once to unlock hard mode. I think the game just gives out really low EP for the most basic enemies (even though that's all you seem to run into early on).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, these were people who had never played the game before, and you need to beat it at least once to unlock hard mode. I think the game just gives out really low EP for the most basic enemies (even though that's all you seem to run into early on).

I dunno, I was getting 0.1-0.2 per fight from Meonektons, the other mechanical enemy and the little gremlin guys when I circled through the slum section of the city. What were they fighting?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I dunno the names- the little floating round guys that were in the demo, and the little two-legged hopping winged... things. The FFXIII games have some weird-looking monsters.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
How do you get new attack abilities? So far the only way I've found is by having them drop off random monsters in the world, which is making it really difficult to create specific fighting setups.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno the names- the little floating round guys that were in the demo, and the little two-legged hopping winged... things. The FFXIII games have some weird-looking monsters.

Yeah, I thought those guys gave more than 0.04. I don't really pay attention to the item screens unless I have an ability crystal drop.

Brackhar posted:

How do you get new attack abilities? So far the only way I've found is by having them drop off random monsters in the world, which is making it really difficult to create specific fighting setups.

Drops, new suits, and you can synthesize abilities into sort of "premium" versions of themselves and eventually to higher levels once that gets unlocked.

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 12, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I haven't played LR, and probably won't unless it gets dirt cheap, but I'm wondering about the time mechanic. Does it actually add anything to the game at all? The only things I've heard about it is that's either annoying or a non issue since it can easily be negated. Seems like it doesn't really have a purpose at all.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
So I've only played about 2 hours of LR, but the time limit is REALLY getting on my nerves. I like to take my time and explore when playing ANY RPG. It's frustrating that I have to find myself looking for the most efficient way of dealing with things less I miss important items or quests.

Is this something that changes as the game goes on, or am I forced to watch the clock and get more and more frustrated at having a time limit?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Loner-Assassin posted:

So I've only played about 2 hours of LR, but the time limit is REALLY getting on my nerves. I like to take my time and explore when playing ANY RPG. It's frustrating that I have to find myself looking for the most efficient way of dealing with things less I miss important items or quests.

Is this something that changes as the game goes on, or am I forced to watch the clock and get more and more frustrated at having a time limit?

Use Chronostasis, fight a handful of enemies to regain the lost EP, laugh at the clock.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

Coughing Hobo posted:

Use Chronostasis, fight a handful of enemies to regain the lost EP, laugh at the clock.

Alright, that's good to hear, thanks for alleviating some of my fears. I just finished the first day, so there wasn't too much fighting for EP renewal in the first area. I guess that changes, esp. when you head into some of the chaos (rifts?) and you get the bonus EP/Gil etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

That number skyrockets quickly, especially once you head to the Wildlands or Dunes. Also as I mentioned before, Chaos Zones always give 1 EP and mid-boss enemies always give at least 2 EP. (Chaos Zone mid-boss enemies always give at least 3 EP.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

I haven't played LR, and probably won't unless it gets dirt cheap, but I'm wondering about the time mechanic. Does it actually add anything to the game at all? The only things I've heard about it is that's either annoying or a non issue since it can easily be negated. Seems like it doesn't really have a purpose at all.

I don't actually have the game yet so I might be wrong, but it seems like the purpose is to pressure you into playing better. You either apply some brainpower and figure out how to manage it, or you'll have to get out of your comfort zone, stop poking around everywhere looking for stuff, stop dragging your heels in battle, etc. I think the world also changes to some extent depending on the time but I don't know much about that.

If it seems like a bad idea, just think of the D-Counter in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and remember it could have been done much worse.