Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ninjasaurus posted:

We're in agreement. The Lost World to me is mostly lovely with a few good parts (trailer sequence, Pete Postlethwaite) while I can't even remember half of what happened in JP3.

Let me see what I can remember. There were flying reptiles in an aviary and a rope bridge. That dinosaur that had the spine ridge that they were trying to play up as a bigger threat than anything ever wound up eating the satellite phone. Alan Grant refused to answer questions about what happened in the second movie.

And that's it. I'm stuck. I can't remember anything else about it. I remember more about Lost World being terrible and stupid. JP3 a dead lump of a tumor stuck onto the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Is that a beret?

It is a bony crest.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm pretty sure you can excuse any incorrect paleontology in Jurassic Park since they tell you in the first film that the dinosaur's DNA isn't 100% dinosaur and has bits of frog and other poo poo in it.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The best thing in JP3 is how they seem to have written themselves into a corner at the end, so they have Dr. Sadler, who is in the movie for all of 5 seconds, call in the ENTIRE NAVY to rescue Grant and Co.

I'm pretty sure it was like 5 dudes and an APC sitting on a beach because (in my mind) the producers ran out of money. They couldn't even think to have some sort of flyover of the island while playing the music...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure it was like 5 dudes and an APC sitting on a beach because (in my mind) the producers ran out of money. They couldn't even think to have some sort of flyover of the island while playing the music...

I swear I remember seeing an aircraft carrier (and maybe a destroyer) in the back ground.

And a guy in a suit just standing out in the open.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Random Stranger posted:

Let me see what I can remember. There were flying reptiles in an aviary and a rope bridge. That dinosaur that had the spine ridge that they were trying to play up as a bigger threat than anything ever wound up eating the satellite phone. Alan Grant refused to answer questions about what happened in the second movie.

And that's it. I'm stuck. I can't remember anything else about it. I remember more about Lost World being terrible and stupid. JP3 a dead lump of a tumor stuck onto the series.

velociraptors are as smart as people, Grant watches them a few minutes and understands their language and then talks to them by playing a velociraptor skull like a harmonica

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

velociraptors are as smart as people, Grant watches them a few minutes and understands their language and then talks to them by playing a velociraptor skull like a harmonica
It's pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du95opzY8qg

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It was actually a replica of the inside of a raptor skull because Alan Grant's new thing was using computer modeling to figure out the tissue-y bits of dinosaurs and 3D printing them, followed by being pissy when undergrads asked why he didn't just go catch actual living dinosaurs because those exist now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

I swear I remember seeing an aircraft carrier (and maybe a destroyer) in the back ground.

And a guy in a suit just standing out in the open.
There was a whole carrier battle group offshore.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Interesting article on "Noah".

Basically looks like Aronofsky will get the cut he wants, which is good news.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rough-seas-noah-darren-aronofsky-679315

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember the Pterodactyls Flying Dinosauroids, that's about it. I watched JP3 on Netflix a few years back and it turned into a nap.

They're not dinosaurs. :supaburn:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

zandert33 posted:

Yay! I can't wait to see how insane this movie is.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was a whole carrier battle group offshore.

Yep, it was. Along with an entire complement of Marines. All mobilized over the course of maybe 8 hours.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
At least it's more accurate than the original Jurassic Park novel, which had the island bombed by the Costa Rican air force at the end. Even though the real Costa Rica does not have any military at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

INH5 posted:

At least it's more accurate than the original Jurassic Park novel, which had the island bombed by the Costa Rican air force at the end. Even though the real Costa Rica does not have any military at all.

Was it the CR Air Force? It's been about 20 years since I read it but I had interpreted it as they detonated a nuke that was built into the island.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They napalmed it.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
The first movie I can remember seeing in an actual cinema was The Adventures of Baron Munchausen which was a weird loving movie.

Why a friends mom picked that movie for us to see I have no idea.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Your friend's mom rocks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

Your friend's mom rocks

For real. I caught half that movie on TV as a kid and for the next few years, whenever we'd go rent a movie, I'd look around for it. It took so long.

edit:

VV affirmative, Darren Aronofsky now confirmed as a goon

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 12, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

zandert33 posted:

Darren Aronofsky posted:

"They tried what they wanted to try, and eventually they came back. My version of the film hasn't been tested. It's what we wrote and what was greenlighted."

Sweet

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zandert33 posted:

So does this mean that we will get to see Noah go insane and attempt to kill everyone/everything on the ark after all? :swoon:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DStecks posted:

Pteranodons. :colbert:

Pterodactyls don't have those enormous crests on their head, but neither is the size of a man anyway. :shrug:

And the velociraptors were modeled after deinonychus, and more recent research suggests many of the dinosaurs should have feathers.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that Jurassic World has a quetzalcoatlus.

God damnit I wish dinosaurs were still around. Imagine driving through Texas and seeing a herd of those.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Mr. Maltose posted:

It was actually a replica of the inside of a raptor skull because Alan Grant's new thing was using computer modeling to figure out the tissue-y bits of dinosaurs and 3D printing them, followed by being pissy when undergrads asked why he didn't just go catch actual living dinosaurs because those exist now.

This was a part of the JP3 that I actually liked: that Grant's academic career had been more or less rendered moot both by there being actual dinosaurs and by his unwanted celebrity status. It would have been interesting if the movie actually addressed paleontology possibly being rendered obsolete vs. how much can we trust these genetic monsters are accurate stand-ins for long-extinct animals.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Monkeyseesaw posted:

It would have been interesting if the movie actually addressed paleontology possibly being rendered obsolete vs. how much can we trust these genetic monsters are accurate stand-ins for long-extinct animals.

This seems less interesting than dinosaurs smashing things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Skwirl posted:

God damnit I wish dinosaurs were still around. Imagine driving through Texas and seeing a herd of those.

Imagine one taking a dump on your car while gliding overhead :ohdear:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Skwirl posted:

recent research suggests many of the dinosaurs should have feathers.

Wait. Super Sentai is scientifically accurate?! :aaa:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So does this mean that we will get to see Noah go insane and attempt to kill everyone/everything on the ark after all? :swoon:

I would *assume* so, it doesn't appear anybody has actually seen Aronsfsky's edit yet so it's possible that he would remove it, but going by his previous work I'd imagine he would want it in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't think you'd ever see a herd of those wandering around Texas because that looks like a giant, delicious chicken.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Barudak posted:

I don't think you'd ever see a herd of those wandering around Texas because that looks like a giant, delicious chicken.
You could have quetzalcoatlusboys herding them around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait. Super Sentai is scientifically accurate?! :aaa:

I don't what that means, and I wouldn't consider myself any type of source. But I know that almost every time I read something about dinosaurs, they have feathers.

priznat posted:

Imagine one taking a dump on your car while gliding overhead :ohdear:

Meh, realistically if man and dinosaur had co-existed at some point, we'd have killed most of them anyways. Don't (literally) poo poo on my dream of seeing a wild loving pterodactyloid.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

As far as I'm aware, only theropods had feathers. As in, only the two-legged dinos had feathers, and not even all of them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm late to the e-peen discussion and I don't care. My first theater experience was when a local college showed a revival of Empire Strikes Back in '82 at age two. A fire alarm went off right when Yoda was telling Luke to go into the spooky cave, and the asbestos curtain came down befor the film stopped, which had a major effect on young me for some reason.

As far as bad movies, well you see, we watched a LOT of films in the 80s, and I can tell you right now my taste sucks. I remember disliking Spies Like Us in the theater, but again, the sheer volume of crap I enjoyed in the theater is insurmountable. Howard The Duck, Leonard Part 6, Mac & Me, The Heathcliff Movie, Ghost Dad and the list goes on. And that doesn't even touch the home video market. Hell, I even partially enjoyed Traxx, the Shadoe Stevens vehicle noone asked for.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
You may recall the saga of Tony Tango, where the director posted here in an attempt to shrill his self financed comedy "breakout".
He got thoroughly roasted as it was clear that he had no idea what he was doing and the eventual release of the trailer pretty much proved the point.

Despite failing to get anywhere at Sundance or Cannes the law of averages meant it eventually got some screenings within the myriad of film festivals that dot the country.

Not surprising the marketing has resorted to puff promotions,"we made the official selection!"
Beyond a press release and the obvious IMDB vote stuffing, the only review I've found called it "amateurish"

Well now dear Maxx is kinda mad at Nick Frost.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's kind of adorable that he thinks anyone who matters would know his terrible movie exists, let alone give enough of a poo poo about it to want to rip it off.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I wonder if, 10 years from now, Tony Tango will be rediscovered and, uh, "appreciated" the same way The Room was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shima Honnou posted:

I wonder if, 10 years from now, Tony Tango will be rediscovered and, uh, "appreciated" the same way The Room was.
It won't because The Room is actually a fun movie.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
From the trailer and the fact someone posted the entire plot on imdb Cuban Fury is pretty much a contender for the thread. It's pretty much up there with "The Boat that Rocked" where you have a pretty sluggish script that's only really carried across by strong comedy performances.
Also Frost and co accept they're in Britain and don't try and pretend to be pasty-white Latinos.

Tony Tango's hilarious in how the director reckons he's got a cult classic on the way with forced attempts to make memes from mustaches and pumping out the t-shirts and posters as apparently ladies are just dying to have a hairy Lothario on their panties.

There's also the blatant sexism in the advertising, which completely avoided telling you about the character and focused on the director's girlfriend, clad in her underwear, doing salsa moves, in an attempt to get her stalled modeling career moving.

The production pretty much suffered by them doing open casting via facebook, resulting in not bothering to screen the makeup artist who vanished with his up-front pay to score more drugs.

It doesn't suffer from the surreal incompetency of The Room as it was helmed by people who knew just enough to make a film. So it just comes off as a dull and unfunny attempt to be a Jack Black comedy with none of the charm.

The "big man took my little idea" spiel is pretty common in Hollywood. And Avatar picked a fare share of people trying to extort cash.

The best one was the low budget CGI monstrosity that was Delgo. The producers had a case of sour grapes as their $40 mil production took in $915,840 in the box office and scoring 3/10 on RT.

The producers reckoned that Avatar had nicked their ideas and wanted to somehow sue in order to make back their losses. The whole film was privately funded so no doubt there was some pressure to pay back all the interest.

The "evidence" ends up looking pretty circumstantial as they drag out similarly framed shots and try and claim they're the totally same, despite Avatar's cat people vs Delgo's dino-bugs.

The production was pretty infamous as it started in 1998 and laboriously took a decade to get completed with the producers boldly proclaiming it would beat out Shrek at the box office and how they'd taken CGI cartoons to a new level by focusing on the human stories (of alien creatures) and not being a CG comedy.

It also became clear they were overwhelmed with the scale of the production having started off as a small scale commercials company and having to rapidly expand. This extended to the awkward boasting that they had eight main characters created and how they'd farmed work off to students.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WebDog posted:

The "evidence" ends up looking pretty circumstantial as they drag out similarly framed shots and try and claim they're the totally same, despite Avatar's cat people vs Delgo's dino-bugs.

I'll have you know that their "evidence" also includes these striking similarities:

quote:

• Both films have heroic male leads who sprint through woodsy shadows in foreign lands
  • Both films feature tough but emotional female leads
  • Both films feature those female leads (among others) flying on the backs of winged reptilian beasts
  • Both films feature aircraft zooming through fields of massive floating rocks
  • Both films feature big, scary, fanged monsters of various types threatening their heroes
  • Both films feature alien warriors uncorking their fiercest battle cries
  • And both films feature all of the above as individual hurdles in the undying quest for love

This site has the screenshots side by side:
http://youbentmywookie.com/entertainment/the-striking-resemblance-between-camerons-avatar-and-delgo-6945

They've been helpfully labelled just in case you can't tell the difference between the movies.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
One film stars a man who came to these forums and offered to let me spit on him at the premiere of his own movie for publicity's sake, and the other film stars Nick Frost.

There's your difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If I recall, I think he promised to show his wife's breasts or something on some other forum as some sort of weird promotion for the movie. But man, that Tony Tango thread was a good, well deserved roasting.

• Locked thread