Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope beyond hope that they pop one open and one jelly bean gets away. Just knowing that somewhere on the ISS floats a lone piece of secret candy would fill my cold heart with joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Noni posted:

It looks kinda like Crow's country cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fKab9XpW0

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I sent those pictures of Raleigh to my sister who lives there, with "Learn how to drive, you guys."

Her response: "You don't even know. It took me 3.5 hrs to drive home from work. It normally takes me 15 minutes. I wanted to get out of my car and punch every single person in the face."

:laffo: This is how Ohioans deal with snow when they're relocated to the South.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

cowboythreespeech posted:

That's ridiculous. I have snowpiles taller than me here, and have for months. My car has been literally buried in snow. I chipped off an inch of snow that was coating my entire car (to go to the beer store...). It's not that hard to drive in the snow? Like, I realise they don't have many plows/salt trucks down there, but... just drive like you would in a really lovely downpour. In closing,

I'm a boy and I'd wear the poo poo out of that sweater

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Ishamael posted:

Who knows?! My parrot has been replaced. But since I didn't want the parrot to begin with, it's a wash.

A truck divided against itself cannot drive.

Oh right, picture:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Present posted:

I'm a boy and I'd wear the poo poo out of that sweater

I don't get it.

Blog Free or Die posted:

A truck divided against itself cannot drive.

Oh right, picture:

The C in MC Escher stands for Carpenter

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Pharmaskittle posted:

babytime hurricanes like Sandy.

Sandy wasn't that bad wind wise, but going from 0 to 8 feet of water in fifteen minutes in some of the most urbanized areas on earth kinda sucked. Not sure how the south would have dealt with that any better.

Upstate got loving wrecked by Irene the year before, and that wasn't even a hurricane by the time it hit mountain country, just an absolute poo poo-ton of rain.

Hurricane Gloria did have the eye pass right over my house, that was kind of neat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

It's just a regional thing. I lived in Canada for a minute, but now I live back on the gulf coast and folks aren't used to driving in wimpy amounts of snow, just like people in the northeast get their poo poo wrecked by babytime hurricanes like Sandy.

Yeah, Sandy wasn't a huge hurricane in the sense of wind speed but it was loving gigantic and sat on the Northeast like a fat person who fell off their Rascal at Wal-Mart. Everyone here spent a week preparing for that poo poo and we still got our poo poo kicked in. I know it's tempting to try and slander the Northeast when we poo poo on you guys for not being able to handle a light dusting of snow, but for real it's not a fair comparison.

By comparison, the damage with Sandy wasn't from people being dumbasses it was from the massive amount of rain and standing high winds knocking down trees. You don't see infrastructure in Atlanta falling apart because a few inches of snow fell on it-- you see people loving things up from not being prepared.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Freezing my god drat balls off because there was no power absolutely sucked. Especially when we had that two week gas shortage. Hard to run a generator when there is a two hour wait for gas every god drat day.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Smiling Jack posted:

Sandy wasn't that bad wind wise, but going from 0 to 8 feet of water in fifteen minutes in some of the most urbanized areas on earth kinda sucked. Not sure how the south would have dealt with that any better.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to do some dopey region supremacy thing, I just mean different places are more prepared for different disasters. I live less than a mile inland and nobody here does much more than cover windows and bring their pets inside for a category 3 hurricane, but those same people were causing hilarious twenty car pileups a couple weeks ago just because of a couple inches of snow. I've had both kinds, but I'd probably absolutely flip my poo poo and wreck my car in, I dunno, an earthquake.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Here is a picture taken a few days after Sandy on Coney Island

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

If you live in an area where it's theoretically possible to get snow, you have absolutely zero excuse for not knowing how to drive in it. Be prepared, goddamn.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Some places recovered faster than others in Sandy, but it took almost two goddamn weeks for me to get power because all of our substations were literally underwater. A friend of mine about 30 miles away had power after 4 or 5 days though. Half my town had power a few days before me as well. It wasn't a lack of handling or preparing, our seawalls just got overwhelmed in a matter of minutes, it was pretty crazy. Then again I live right next to the coast, I know people who were more inland didn't have it as bad in a lot of areas. The next town over, despite being further from the coast, had a small creek that overflowed and caused something like 90 houses to be condemned or something. Sandy was weird.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

MotU posted:

Some places recovered faster than others in Sandy, but it took almost two goddamn weeks for me to get power because all of our substations were literally underwater. A friend of mine about 30 miles away had power after 4 or 5 days though. Half my town had power a few days before me as well. It wasn't a lack of handling or preparing, our seawalls just got overwhelmed in a matter of minutes, it was pretty crazy. Then again I live right next to the coast, I know people who were more inland didn't have it as bad in a lot of areas. The next town over, despite being further from the coast, had a small creek that overflowed and caused something like 90 houses to be condemned or something. Sandy was weird.

Embrace hydroelectricity.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope beyond hope that they pop one open and one jelly bean gets away. Just knowing that somewhere on the ISS floats a lone piece of secret candy would fill my cold heart with joy.
It would end up being sucked against the mesh of an air vent. :science:

Apparently someone got told off for clipping their fingernails and not cleaning up after themselves when someone else discovered all these fingernail bits stuck to the air vent mesh. Might actually have been Hadfield, I forget.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Would that work? Could be kind of cool, never have to back out of a parking spot.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Pharmaskittle posted:

but I'd probably absolutely flip my poo poo and wreck my car in, I dunno, an earthquake.
Probably not, my experience with earthquakes has typically been someone coming up to me and saying "hey, was that an earthquake"?

Now, let's see what I have in my funny images folder... ah, here we go (click for mega-giant):

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Probably not, my experience with earthquakes has typically been someone coming up to me and saying "hey, was that an earthquake"?

I tell people that earthquakes feel like standing next to the road when a big truck rumbles by. But unlike snow, they just show up with no warning.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Khazar-khum posted:

I tell people that earthquakes feel like standing next to the road when a big truck rumbles by.

Well stop talking out of your rear end. It's really not like that at all.

To make this image amusing, hold F11.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Feb 13, 2014

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
These people just need to come live in Savannah, which has some kind of inclement weather force field. Literally storms will entirely surround us, but with nary a drop on us.

Even hurricanes do a loopdeloop around us. It's bad because I kinda want to experience snow and fun stuff because I'm from Australia where nature is usually trying to kill us with fire.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Khazar-khum posted:

I tell people that earthquakes feel like standing next to the road when a big truck rumbles by. But unlike snow, they just show up with no warning.

I was on the 25th floor of a building when the east coast earthquake hit a couple years ago. You don't feel any trucks up there, but when the floor starts to feel like you're standing on top of a giant quivering jello mold, its time to get out.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
We can handle wind and rain here in Vermont, but when Irene came, the town I live in had over 6 ft of water running down main street. In lower laying areas it was even higher. Lots of people had the river running through where their basements used to be.

I don't know how people in hurricane zones "deal" with water up to or over your head.

That being said, I think we handled it pretty well. People really pitched in to help each other. A day or two afterwards, people were still without power and water - and a local gas station put this ad up outside:

Meanwhile, we're about to get a foot+ of snow today and tomorrow and most people just call that "February in Vermont."

And I have snow tires on my car now, but it's not 100% necessary here in VT. I drove up the steepest paved road in Vermont in balding all seasons in a Hyundai Accent during a snow storm. It wasn't pretty, but I made it up - and back down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: ^ ^ ^ Hey, Vermont buddy! Where in VT do you live? You said 6' of water from Irene, so I'm assuming southern VT, Brattleboro area? ^ ^ ^

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Feb 13, 2014

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

tiananman posted:

We can handle wind and rain here in Vermont, but when Irene came, the town I live in had over 6 ft of water running down main street. In lower laying areas it was even higher. Lots of people had the river running through where their basements used to be.

I don't know how people in hurricane zones "deal" with water up to or over your head.

This is one of the things that's important to keep in mind. The places that are 'used' to Hurricanes also tend to be fairly flat. But when you get inland, especially in the north you get a lot more hills and valleys that result in water being funnels into areas, making it worse there.

Remember, the flooding of New Orleans from Katrina was more due to the seawall failing than just the rain coming down.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The PSO GameCube keyboard controller was one of those pieces of specialty hardware that always made me :psyduck: as to why anyone thought that was a good idea to make.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Captain Trips posted:

If you live in an area where it's theoretically possible to get snow, you have absolutely zero excuse for not knowing how to drive in it. Be prepared, goddamn.

Mmm yes all those people who have literally never seen snow stick to the ground in their lives have no excuse for not knowing how to drive in it, I agree

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Captain Trips posted:

Yes, goddamn people living in cities where it hasn't snowed in over a quarter of a century. What the gently caress are they thinking, having the audacity to be old enough to drive whilst having never seen snow in their lives.

:frogout:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you have never seen snow, you probably deserve to die.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

When I lived in New Zealand I actually missed the snow we had in the UK :<

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
A much better analogy than hurricanes is heatstroke deaths. Somehow people in the north manage to up and die just from a little heat wave. "No A/C" is equivalent to "No snow plows/salt trucks".

Since that's not funny, here's a cat eating watermelon.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Climate nationalism is the worst.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: ^ ^ ^ Hey, Vermont buddy! Where in VT do you live? You said 6' of water from Irene, so I'm assuming southern VT, Brattleboro area? ^ ^ ^

I lived in Waterbury at the time. The name of the town should give you a hint about what happens when we get lots of rain. Also, one of the roads that runs parallel to town is called "River Road." And yet, people are still shocked when the river floods its meager banks. We have these "100 year floods" that seem to happen every 40-50 years. The last one was in the 70s, and the one before that was in the 20s.

Ok, enough boring weather talk, here's Fox News giving us that hard-hitting journalism with their usual flair and attention to detail:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Southerners could just as easily mock northerners for putting un-raised homes on the ocean in the path of a hurricane.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Equally you could mock any flooding victim who lives on a flood plain.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Captain Trips posted:

:ohdear: My sister lives in Raleigh.

She's from Ohio though, so she knows how to deal with snow.

By moving to the South... Just like everyone else from Ohio.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MrXmas posted:

A much better analogy than hurricanes is heatstroke deaths. Somehow people in the north manage to up and die just from a little heat wave. "No A/C" is equivalent to "No snow plows/salt trucks".

By 'up north' you must mean, like, the Yukon or Alaska or something because as someone living in Ontario I can tell you that poo poo gets drat hot here every summer.

The analogy stands though - heat waves with no AC can be devastating as poo poo - walking outside without knowing that you should keep covered, bring water, etc, can kill you sure as walking outside without adequate snow protection.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Boiled Water posted:

Equally you could mock any flooding victim who lives on a flood plain.

Does this also work for Sudanese war orphans?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

D.N. Nation posted:

Southerners could just as easily mock northerners for putting un-raised homes on the ocean in the path of a hurricane.

...the worst hurricane disaster in recent history happened in a city in the south that was built below sea level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

This is a good comic.

• Locked thread