Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GregNorc posted:

Do I need to book all international train trips in advance to get a good price, or will shorter ones be the same price the day of? I was planning on taking a train from Brussels to Amsterdam at one point on my trip... will booking early save me a significant amount? (I already plan to book the Prague -> Berlin and Berlin -> Amsterdam trains fair in advance but I'd like to be able to have a little serendipity in my itinerary.)
That's a good idea.

GregNorc posted:

What's the best way to book a ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam on the train... should I do it far in advance, or just show up at the station? I'm on the fence about how long to spend in Brussels.
Just show up at the station, it's a fixed price unless you're going by Thalys (only gonna save you an hour or so). Honestly, Brussels is kinda boring, I had a much better time in Ghent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Using the Thalys (fastest option) on the NS hispeed site, the prices for tomorrow are 79 euros, and for a trip in two months it's between 50 and 60. That's less of a discount than in Germany, and doesn't really seem very worth it.
Not that the Thalys is worth it anyway, as Jeoh said, just take the regular intercity trains. That's always €39, if I remember correctly...

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Hello, I'm planning a two month tour of central Europe and am looking for ideas on building off of my itinerary. Currently I have a flight booked into Prague in late April and flight out of Talinn July 3rd. The rest of it looks like

Prague - Krakow - Warsaw - Gdansk - Vilnius - Riga - Talinn

I'm going to be traveling by bus. I have 8 weeks, thinking about adding Berlin after Prague and spending around a week in each location. A week is a long time in some of these places I imagine, I'll most likely be taking buses to near by cities/sites. Not sure that I'm spending 3 weeks in Poland. I'm mainly looking to see things and have a good time. I also really enjoy the beach and although my time period isn't exactly beach weather I will be trying to see as many nice ones as I can. Any ideas?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

As someone who has just done a very similar trip (still ongoing!) a week is far too long in many of those places. Cut it down to 4-5 days unless there is somewhere you really like (Prague is easily worth a week imo).

You can also add in Prague-Vienna-Budapest to your loop pretty easily, both are pretty amazing places. Buses are also really cheap between them. Check out studentagency.cz, orangeways, and Polskibus respectively.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 10, 2014

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

manwithoutskin posted:

Prague - Krakow - Warsaw - Gdansk - Vilnius - Riga - Talinn

I'm going to be traveling by bus. I have 8 weeks, thinking about adding Berlin after Prague and spending around a week in each location. A week is a long time in some of these places I imagine, I'll most likely be taking buses to near by cities/sites. Not sure that I'm spending 3 weeks in Poland. I'm mainly looking to see things and have a good time. I also really enjoy the beach and although my time period isn't exactly beach weather I will be trying to see as many nice ones as I can. Any ideas?

In Poland you should definitely add a stop in Wroclaw for 2 or 3 days. If you're in Tallinn, Helsinki is only a short ferry ride away. Adding in Prague-Dresden-Berlin or Prague-Vienna-Budapest would be good options.
If you want to visit beaches, I would really only go if the weather just happens to be nice and you are near something. In Germany, the best fit for your trip would probably be the island of Usedom near the Polish border. I guess Poland has a bunch of really nice beaches too.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Saros posted:

As someone who has just done a very similar trip (still ongoing!) a week is far too long in many of those places. Cut it down to 4-5 days unless there is somewhere you really like (Prague is easily worth a week imo).

You can also add in Prague-Vienna-Budapest to your loop pretty easily, both are pretty amazing places. Buses are also really cheap between them. Check out studentagency.cz, orangeways, and Polskibus respectively.

I hadn't thought about Vienna and Budapest and that fits in perfectly. Thank you for the suggestions. Now I am wondering about adding Berlin and Wroclaw as well. Something like Prague-Vienna-Budapest-Krakow-Wroclaw-Berlin-Warsaw and back to my original plan. Even at 5 days per city (which is more than I'll be spending at some and less at others I imagine) I still have a week of 'unscheduled' time which is pretty nice. I'm traveling by bus for precisely this reason, the ability to be very flexible. Am I now over-stuffing my itinerary?

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
So I decided to take a week off from being unemployed to go to Ireland.

I'll be landing in Dublin on the 18th and I've booked a room until the 20th, after that, I have no idea how I'll spend my remaining days until going home a week later on the 28th. Should I go north or south? Belfast or Cork? Galway or Wexford? Kilkenny or Limerick? I know how I'm moving around tho and it'll mainly be by train. I don't really enjoy driving and I absolutely loathe buses. There isn't much info on the wikitravel ireland page, but it does mention train travel can get extremely expensive if you don't book "well in advance". Does anyone have any experience with this nonsense?

I'd like to move around a lot and see a few different places, staying only one night each place/town/grotto/pub other than the few nights I'll be spending in Dublin.

All suggestions welcome!

(Also, if you're 25+, Irish and living in Dublin I'll gladly buy you a pint on Wednesday the 19th of Feburary around 5-6-7'ish o' clock at this terribly dilapidated pub I've found online :/)

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Just so you know the public transport situation in Ireland isn't fabulous so while you loathe busses and cars, you seem to want to move around a lot, and you should understand that most of Ireland's 'wow holy poo poo' stuff is in its natural beauty. Most of this requires a car to get to and busses are infrequent.

For instance, I'm always recommending people in this thread to go to Dingle in Kerry. Great pubs, food, irish music, gorgeous surroundings (the slea head drive is super loving beautiful) but even if you take a train to that part of the world you'll end up in gross as gently caress Tralee requiring you to take a bus and so on.

If you do decide to loosen up on your driving hatred though, the South West is absolutely stunning.

(I completely don't understand your invitation. What if you're 24 and Scottish living in Dublin, can they not join you for a pint at your 'terribly dilapidated' pub?)

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Neris posted:

Just so you know the public transport situation in Ireland isn't fabulous so while you loathe busses and cars, you seem to want to move around a lot, and you should understand that most of Ireland's 'wow holy poo poo' stuff is in its natural beauty. Most of this requires a car to get to and busses are infrequent.

For instance, I'm always recommending people in this thread to go to Dingle in Kerry. Great pubs, food, irish music, gorgeous surroundings (the slea head drive is super loving beautiful) but even if you take a train to that part of the world you'll end up in gross as gently caress Tralee requiring you to take a bus and so on.

If you do decide to loosen up on your driving hatred though, the South West is absolutely stunning.

(I completely don't understand your invitation. What if you're 24 and Scottish living in Dublin, can they not join you for a pint at your 'terribly dilapidated' pub?)

For short distances, say, an half an hour to an hour and a half, a bus is fine, but for longer distances I'd like to ride a few trains if at all possible. I just find it a really nice way to travel. I lived in the UK a few years ago and got used to the trains there (always delayed and expensive), is it about the same situation in Ireland?
I haven't really got the best eyesight nor driving skills and leftsided driving in the dark on backroads would probably kill me in a day or so :)

I am considering an itinerary like this:
18: Arrive in Dublin, late
19: Enjoy Dublin (Guiness disneyland, Writers Museum, Chester Beatty Library, Christ Church)
20: Leave Dublin for... Wexford or Waterford (or maybe Limerick?) by train
21: Leave Wex/Waterford and go to Cork (Blarney Castle)
22: Leave Cork and go to Dingle (when you say "gross as gently caress Tralee", what does that mean exactly?)
23: Stay in Dingle
24: Leave Dingle, go to Galway
25: Stay in Galway
26: (extra day, should my plans not pan out)
27: Go back to Dublin
28: Fly home

Sure, I'll buy you a pint if you want! The pub is called something like T. O'Loughlin and it's on 26 Georges Street Lower, across from the Hospital, but there's a DART stop nearby.

\/\/\/
Thank you for the information, that was my hope too! That's actually why I'm going to Wex/Waterford instead of Kilkenny, because the Kilkenny train goes dublin-kildare-carlow-kilkenny-waterford, but that's an inland route and I thought it'd be nice to travel along the coast. I'm looking up train times etc and once I know a few of those, I might be able to squeeze it in. Only problem is the connection between Cork and Kilkenny+Wex/waterford appears to be a little lousy, as far as I can tell, meaning I don't think I could just whip up to Kilkenny and get easily away with it. I'll have to go to Limerick Junction and change, so that might be the place to take a bus instead. Haha, these dublin-centric railways make it a little difficult! I'm looking up train times etc and once I know a few of those, I might be able to squeeze it in.

Otherwise, if you know a good stop-over between Galway and Dublin I'd appreciate it. These are on the route: Athenry, attymon, ballinasloe, Althone, Clara, Tullamore and Portarlingtor. If none of them are any good, I'll just go straight from Galway to Dublin and add a day in Kilkenny before Cork, I think. The more plans I can make from home the less time I'll have to spend booking rooms and transportation :)
\/\/\/

prinneh fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The train trip from Dublin to Wexford is particularly nice; it goes along the coast most of the way and also passes through some pretty towns too.

Note: you'd need to go on to Rosslare to meet up with the rail-line across to Waterford.

Kilkenny is also on a trainline and is a really nice town with a big castle.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

prinneh posted:

On Ireland

I'm not an expert on Ireland as a whole as unfortunately on my trip I only fit Dublin and Northern Ireland in, however I'd like to recommend a few more things in Dublin and near Dublin to see. The first place would be Kilmainham Gaol. I don't know if you have an interest in Irish history (I suspect you might have a bit though, with the Writer's Museum) but Kilmainham Gaol was my favourite site in Dublin. Seeing where the leaders of the Easter Rising were held and executed was very interesting (in a somber way). I also enjoyed the Writer's Museum, but be warned it is mostly an audio tour and reading the descriptions as there aren't too many displays. Nonetheless, it was still interesting and informative if you enjoy Irish literature. With the sites you seem to be interested in what I would do (and did) was bought a ticket for the hop on hop off tour bus. It is an open top bus that goes around to all the major sites in Dublin. The trip through Phoenix Park was especially nice.

One thing I'd recommend for the end of your trip if you have the time is to do a day trip to Newgrange and the Hill of Tara from Dublin. There is an amazing tour run by a nice old lady from Dublin to these places and they were the best and most informative tours I've ever been on. Newgrange was one of the highlights of my 10 week Europe trip as well. It is a Megalithic tomb that's older than Stonehenge and the Pyramids. You can also go inside (maybe not if you're claustrophobic) and experience what it's like on the solstice's. Here's the link for the tour company: http://newgrangetours.com/

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

MagicCube posted:

· Kilmainham Gaol
· a ticket for the hop on hop off tour bus
· Newgrange and the Hill of Tara from Dublin.
Thank you for these recommendations! I am mostly travelling south of Dublin, so Newgrange might be difficult to reach, although I would like to see it. It's one of those things, along with The Giants Courseway and Belfast, that I'm sorta sad I'm missing, but with only one week and wanting to tour the south it might be hard to do. I'll however move the Kilmainham Gaol from the maybe-do-list to the definitely to-do-list. All personal recommendations here rank very highly in my book, so if you have anymore I'd love to hear them. Thank you for taking the time!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The massive storm that just passed through caused a lot of damage across the south and south-west of Ireland; lots of trees down all over the place and something like 200,000 people with no power tonight; so you may want to call ahead to anywhere in that area ( Cork/Limerick/Clare/Kerry/Waterford were all hammered )you plan on staying next week just to be sure they are back up and running. The winds hit hurricane force for a while in some places so it really was unusually nasty weather for this country. For example, the biggest ever recorded wave in Irish waters happened today - all 82 feet of it.

There has also been a lot of flooding in the same areas over the last few weeks and may well be more to come this weekend (another storm - hooray!) Just something you might want to factor in to your plans.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 12, 2014

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Pookah posted:

The massive storm that just passed through caused a lot of damage across the south and south-west of Ireland; lots of trees down all over the place and something like 200,000 people with no power tonight; so you may want to call ahead to anywhere in that area ( Cork/Limerick/Clare/Kerry/Waterford were all hammered )you plan on staying next week just to be sure they are back up and running. The winds hit hurricane force for a while in some places so it really was unusually nasty weather for this country. For example, the biggest ever recorded wave in Irish waters happened today - all 82 feet of it.

There has also been a lot of flooding in the same areas over the last few weeks and may well be more to come this weekend (another storm - hooray!) Just something you might want to factor in to your plans.

Yeah... I spent almost all of yesterday looking up and booking stuff... Then I went on twitter and found out about the storm! And the next one! Jesus!

As it turns out, I only booked a week and not 10 days as I originally thought, dont't know how I messed that up, but I did. Anyway, the train from Dublin to Wexford should be fine according to irishrail. I don't have time for dingle, sadly, but kinda glad I didn't book there now, so I'll be going from Cork to Galway via Limerick Junction. The tracks are flooded between Ennis and Limerick, but there's a bustransfer in place. Galway to Dublin should be fine and on schedule, but I'm waiting to book nights in Galway until after the second storm hits. As for Wexford to Cork I'll have to take a long rear end busride, but my b&b in cork should be fine as it's supposedly on highground, but I've mailed them and the one in Wexford to make sure.

Thank you for looking out for me :) 82 feet sounds insane!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

prinneh posted:

Yeah... I spent almost all of yesterday looking up and booking stuff... Then I went on twitter and found out about the storm! And the next one! Jesus!

As it turns out, I only booked a week and not 10 days as I originally thought, dont't know how I messed that up, but I did. Anyway, the train from Dublin to Wexford should be fine according to irishrail. I don't have time for dingle, sadly, but kinda glad I didn't book there now, so I'll be going from Cork to Galway via Limerick Junction. The tracks are flooded between Ennis and Limerick, but there's a bustransfer in place. Galway to Dublin should be fine and on schedule, but I'm waiting to book nights in Galway until after the second storm hits. As for Wexford to Cork I'll have to take a long rear end busride, but my b&b in cork should be fine as it's supposedly on highground, but I've mailed them and the one in Wexford to make sure.

Thank you for looking out for me :) 82 feet sounds insane!

Grand so; hope you have a lovely time!

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Is it worth visiting San Isidro in León, Spain, if I don't like skiing? Or in general, are European ski resorts fun places to see the snow, check out snow bunnies, and have a drink at the bar?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mortley posted:

Is it worth visiting San Isidro in León, Spain, if I don't like skiing? Or in general, are European ski resorts fun places to see the snow, check out snow bunnies, and have a drink at the bar?

I suppose it could get a bit boring when everyone else is one the slopes, but there's definitely something to do besides skiing. It's just that everything is a lot more expensive in most ski resorts.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mortley posted:

Never been there, but been to tons of ski towns in central Europe (Switzerland/France/Austria). Mostly they're pretty boring if you don't like skiing, but it depends how long you're going and if you're going with friends. I sure as hell wouldn't go to a ski town by myself if I didn't want to ski. There are a few ski towns that are more fun (e.g. Chamonix) but most of them have pretty mediocre night life compared to "normal" cities. If you speak Spanish well it might be OK.

Edit: Also depends a lot on how far you're going to travel to get there. If it's like half an hour and going with 3 buddies, sounds fun, but if you're going from Madrid by yourself, sounds awful.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Some family and I are taking a trip to the UK this May. We've got our itinerary planned already, but I was looking for some advice on where to stay (as in a general area) for our three nights in London. Our basic criteria are:

- Some sort of B&B or small inn, as opposed to some huge boring chain hotel (if possible).
- Something near a Circle or District Line station (we'll mostly be hitting the usual tourist stuff; the Tower, the big museums, Parliament, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul's, etc.), and reasonably close to the city center (not an hour's tube ride into the suburbs or something).
- Preferrably something around $200 (USD) a night or less
- Some decent restaurants and pubs within easy walking distance
- Somewhere we aren't likely to be stabbed walking home from said restaurants/pubs or the tube station at night

Which parts of London might be good to look at based on that criteria, and which should be avoided?

As for the rest of our trip, here's the plan so far:

- Overnight flight from Atlanta
- 3 nights in London
- Express train to Edinburgh
- 3 nights in Edinburgh
- Fly to Kirkwall, rent a car
- 3 nights in a B&B on Mainland, Orkney Islands
- Fly back to Edinburgh, rent a car, drive to Northumberland
- 1 night at Langley Castle Hotel
- Drive to Conwy, Wales
- 2 nights in Conwy
- Drive to somewhere in the Cotswolds and stay one night in a B&B out in the countryside an hour or two from Heathrow
- Drive to Heathrow the next morning for a 3:30PM flight back home

Any suggestions for can't-miss sights around those places? We'll definitely see Edinburgh Castle, Skara Brae and the other major Neolithic sites on Mainland, Kirkwall and Stromness, Conwy Castle, and probably St. Tudno's and the cemetery next to it. We primarily enjoy interesting historic sights, museums, and such.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

For $200 (usd?) you should be able to find a whole lot of options.

As for Edinburgh the castle is great if expensive at about £14 each, also at 1pm they fire the 'timing' gun which is pretty cool.

If you are in decent shape and its not raining climb Arthurs seat for an amazing view of the city.

Alternatively on Calton hill there is a bunch of stuff, also the only statue of Abe outside the US. No... Really.

Excuse the rubbish quality pictures I just nabbed them off Facebook from being there in November.

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 16, 2014

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 13, 2017

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Anyone know of any good hostels in Prague, preferably near the main train station? I found one pretty well rated on Hostel World, but it's a bit of a "party hostel". I'm certainly planning to have fun, but I'm also interested in museums and stuff too...

You can go outside of the hostel.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I stayed in Hostel one home and it was really good. Lots of partying too but you can just decline.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saros posted:

For $200 (usd?) you should be able to find a whole lot of options.

In Edinburgh maybe, but in London, not even remotely close. $200 is only £120. You can't stay in a 2 bedroom hovel for that price a night within 50 miles of London.

For the parent, "with some family" does that mean you are all up for $200/day/each (in which case you can do a lot), or it's $200/day for all 4? of you combined? In which case your only bet is to stay in a hostel, which will take most of your $200, but you'll also probably be able to get a private room all of you can share.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 16, 2014

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Saladman posted:

In Edinburgh maybe, but in London, not even remotely close. $200 is only £120. You can't stay in a 2 bedroom hovel for that price a night within 50 miles of London.

If it's a budget of US $200 per room, there's loads of 4-star hotels in Westminster, Kensington, etc. with double rooms at that price. Private doubles in London hostels are mostly in the $50-60 range.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
$200 per room, with everyone having their own room. Actually, after some looking around, there seems to be a fair selection of decent-enough hotel rooms near various Circle Line stations available in the $250 range with advanced booking, which should be fine. The stuff I've found in the $200 range is either somewhat far from a tube station (for my mom, at least) and/or the accommodations look a bit more questionable than we'd really like. (Not that we're really picky or anything, but hotel rooms in London are pretty small in general and the cheaper ones seem to be more on the "put down a bed and attach four walls to it" end of the spectrum... :v: )

So far I've found several hotels near Glouchester Road, a couple near Bayswater, and some near Tower Hill, Liverpool St., and Blackfriars, all within a block or two of their respective stations. Any of those spots particularly good and/or bad to stay at?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Help! I am now going to be in Rome from tomorrow and I wasnt planning on getting there for another week so I havent done a lot of research. Anyone got recommendations for hostels, trips, sights, things to do etc?

[edit] After some more planning I am in Italy until 11 March when I fly from Bari. Tell me your ideas!

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 17, 2014

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

dennyk posted:

So far I've found several hotels near Glouchester Road, a couple near Bayswater, and some near Tower Hill, Liverpool St., and Blackfriars, all within a block or two of their respective stations. Any of those spots particularly good and/or bad to stay at?

Not really, IMO the difference between Zone 1 locations is pretty negligible for hotels as long as you don't need to return to the hotel multiple times a day. Don't stay in City (including Tower Hill) unless you get a really good deal - it's safe and all, but it's a boring office district. Blackfriars and Liverpool St. are fine.

Saros posted:

[edit] After some more planning I am in Italy until 11 March when I fly from Bari. Tell me your ideas!

Gonna need a bit more to go on than that. Generally speaking though, spend at least 5 days in Rome and stop over in at least one smaller town on your way over to Bari. Naples is an obvious option but with that much time you could reasonably do a circuit through a lot of central and northern Italy instead.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ah right sorry posted it in a hurry. 5-6 days in Rome from tomorrow then maybe 4 in naples but I am a little lost after that. Was considering Cinque Terre after Rome but the weather looks bad, could check out somewhere on the east coast and have heard good things about Positano near naples.

I just really have more time than I planned for thanks to finding some really cheap flights Bari -> Malta -> Spain and I dont really know much about southern Italy. I have already been to Milan and Venice so ideally i'd want to head south.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am going to London in about 2½ weeks and staying there for about a week, should i be worried about those massive floodings i read so much about?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
No.

1. It'll be over by then.
2. London is pretty much fine.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Not really. The only parts of London that have flooded or where flood warnings have been issued are a small bit along the river in western London, most of the city, including all of central London, isn't really any wetter than it normally is.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The official map of warnings and at-risk areas:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/142151.aspx

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Here is a weird request...

So I'm writing a book about budget travel/backpacking in Europe. I need photos. Specifically, I need photos of stuff like transportation, hostels (rooms, bathrooms, beds, kitchens, etc.), people wearing travel backpacks, travel gear, etc. The only thing I don't really need is standard touristy photos (i.e. the Eiffel Tower).

I don't have much money but I'm willing to pay a bit. I can only pay if the photograph actually makes it in the printed book (which won't come out for like 6-8 months.

I'd need high-quality photos since they're being printed.

Here is a thread I made in SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610124

my email is jfeess at gmail.com if you're interested.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 13, 2017

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I'm going to be in Portugal 5-6 days at the end of August (mid afternoon Tuesday-Sunday morning) flying in and out of Lisbon. Currently was figuring a couple days in Lisbon and probably a day in Sintra. Any other recommendations for side trips? Have considered taking a trip to either Porto or the Algavre for a day/night but don't know much yet about the transportation to either/if it's worth going that far for a short visit or if there's better side trips closer to Lisbon.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Sintra will come strongly recommended as a side trip, I think; Porto is another really great option but it might be too much of a hassle on public transportation for just one night. Algarve's population of tourists may be about 300% of the local population at that time, which could be what you're looking for but you ought to be aware.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Joose Caboose posted:

I'm going to be in Portugal 5-6 days at the end of August (mid afternoon Tuesday-Sunday morning) flying in and out of Lisbon. Currently was figuring a couple days in Lisbon and probably a day in Sintra. Any other recommendations for side trips? Have considered taking a trip to either Porto or the Algavre for a day/night but don't know much yet about the transportation to either/if it's worth going that far for a short visit or if there's better side trips closer to Lisbon.

I was in Lisbon for two weeks last year. Sintra was a great side trip, you might even be able to do two days there without getting bored if you enjoy the town itself too. Other recommended ones might be going to the larger beaches south of the bay for a day (for surfing or something), Cascais/Estoril (can walk between them along the coast), or one of the little fishing towns across the bay. And of course Belem, if that counts as a trip.

Porto is pretty far, I think it takes like 3 hours to get there by train or so. A bit much for a day trip.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Joose Caboose posted:

I'd recommend Sintra but plan ahead for cash because it is pretty badly overpriced in comparison to most of the country's tourist stuff. Porto is super cool but also pretty far away, I wouldn't advise trying to make it all the way up there. The Lisbon area alone should be able to keep you occupied for that time frame.

While you're there you should definitely go to my favorite restaurant in the whole world, Bica Estrella. It's right next to the Bica funicular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Does anyone have reccomendations on a good travel belt / pouch? Something comfortable?

I'm going to Prague, and I've heard a lot of horror stories about pickpockets, I'd like to have something to keep my passport and some $$$ in.

Prague isn't that bad if you are careful with what you are doing. I haven't felt any more or less safe than I've felt in other large European towns.

I think the pickpocket stuff should really be a "don't be an idiot" thing. Don't flash your wallet. Don't put it in the back of your jeans. Only carry the amount of money you really need for the day. Put your stuff in your front pocket or a locked part of your daybag (if you are really scared). Don't draw attention to yourself as being a moron tourist that is disorganized. Don't dress like an American (leave the tshirts from Las Vegas/Hard Rock at home). If you feel uncomfortable with your surroundings, there might be a good reason for it. Don't be there. Have your money ready as you are checking out. If you are in a subway car or cramped area, put your hands on the item that you are trying to protect, without being obvious.

It's pretty much common sense. That and Prague doesn't feel nearly as bad as places like France and Italy, where crowds tend to be packed in real good.