Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Carecat posted:

Please make it take 24 hours to chop down the first tree unless you pay 20 Clockwork Gems.

What the game needs is resource cards that let you boost stockpiles or complete x hours of work in one sitting. A pack of 10 random cards should cost $35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
...Resource cards? Eldritch Abomination Cards, combined with a leveling system. Unlock Cthulhu on demand for 500 Steamless Cogs, or get him early with 5 Steam-Powered Cogs ($4.99 for a pack of four!).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really hate all you nerds. Stop giving them ideas!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I can only assume the people who fund such schemes in other games are wealthy beyond sense, pliable beyond reason or self-loathing to the point of wishing to be punished for their horrible horrible deeds with either fees or tedium.

Combinations of the above are of course entirely possible.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to this game most eagerly indeed.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

The first tree needs to be chopped quickly to get them hooked. Then it has exponential growth of how long it takes to cut down each additional tree. Hazards should follow a similar growth where you start off with them being random and quite rare but steadily ramp up so it becomes impossible to win without purchasing Her Majesty's finest supply crates (2 gears each from the imperial depot). Of course with fishpeople beating down the door you also want rush delivery (gear price varies with size and weight of order), and if you have an abomination outbreak you will need the rare drop consumables from the top tier Royal Reserve supply crates (5 gears each).

As a real suggestion could one of the kinds of madness administrative characters get be believing they need to keep sending increasing amounts of money to the cash shop to pay to win? Actually changing the player's UI to include a fake cash shop if the madness progresses too far would be a bonus.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Joking about P2P aside, Binding of Isaac had an unlock system... The original SimCity had a nice system of disasters. Dwarf Fortress just has crazy poo poo happen when it will (wealth, depth, madness, elephants)?

Are all these strange events going to be out of player control, or is there going to be a system under player control to introduce events that would not normally happen?

As much as I am annoyed by steam's trading card system, and usually ignore achievements in general aside from an immersion breaker, being able to manually trigger a budding disaster after having 'beaten' it might be interesting, or getting a card to commemorate your first 'complete' (survival or death) disaster.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

You guys should look into monetising methods that reward the player. I propose the following:

One new game per day that's called a bonus session. A few changes should exist to teach new players the developer's creative vision through incentives. A limited number of citizens [20] will simplify combat and make it easier to understand the plight of each citizen. Increased resource costs will reduce the burden of growing a village too quickly. An enhanced invasion system will show off more game content and teach asymmetrical warfare. Finally as it's a bonus session saving and loading should be disabled. This will stop save-scumming while encouraging careful planning - something skillful players should enjoy. Additional sessions should cost a mere $5 per embarkment to provide a unique, immersive way of showing the financial issues burdening the Empire. The ability to send additional goods and citizenry from the Empire should also exist to give players additional choice.

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 5, 2014

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Today's blog post may be related to the Debugging Thrills I am currently experiencing:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/02/05/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-overseer-a-clockwork-empires-choose-your-own-adventure/

Or not. You decide.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Very nice, I picked the only right answer on my first try. :)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ me too :haw:

My my, does this look absolutely awesome. More cultists and Elder Gods is exactly what videogames need nowadays!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to giving you my money as soon as you churn out something even barely playable. I love steampunk, eldritch horrors and management simulations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You guys seriously write the best dev blogs.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
One madness effect should twist the UI to require non existing paid DLC to function.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You guys seriously write the best dev blogs.

Hear, hear! The special email section on the journey into the mac abyss was particularly funny. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a newsletter as much as I do the GG newsletter. Brings a smile to my face whenever I find one in my inbox.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

No one's posted A Very Clockwork Valentines yet? :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
They just sent the email 15 minutes ago. I think we're slacking.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
"If you liked it then you should have put a cog on it" made me laugh for a solid two minutes.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Those valentines feel very 40K, or the first two at least.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"reckless and disturbing acts of encogglement" :allears:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You think that's cool you should peek behind the curtain and take what's there for a spin!

I haven't gotten to either :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You think that's cool you should peek behind the curtain and take what's there for a spin!

I haven't gotten to either :smith:

Same here :smith::hf::smith:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

nvining posted:

Did your name get struck off the list? Then no further action is required of you at this time. :silent:

You should be able to grow things to a pretty nice level, but we're sort of focusing on doing one thing right as opposed to a Spore-like model of "lots of different stuff". You're sort of capped at about 300 citizens due to the cost of simulating the citizens (for now, anyhow) as well as the logistics of trying to manage 300 unstable idiots who would like nothing more than to go off and start worshipping that thing in the woods. So we'll see.

"Will we be able to make large towns?"

"Not really yet, you're limited to more colonists than dwarf fortress can support without simultaneously imploding and exploding your computer."

I like you. Everything I hear about this keeps making the game sound better and better.

I'm kinda glad you're not doing the early access thing, so I'm not tempted to break my resolution not to do early access and ruin games for myself.

300 colonists is plenty enough to make an interesting and convincing(if not realistic) city, even if you're housing them in big barracks instead of family houses(you monster).

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Bureaucrat Third Class Barnaby H. Pozzo had been staring intermittently at his 'golden' ticket for some three weeks now. On close scrutiny it seemed no more than a ripped and beaten old news sheet that had been slathered with cheap mustard coloured paint. Half of an article about Zeppelin explosions was still visible on the back of it. He often wondered whether he was simply being played for a fool by some wag from the club, or some laudanum soaked poet. But it was the high pitched shrieking that seemed to occur whenever he turned his vision elsewhere that made him think it was genuine. However, the golden opportunity which it referred to did not seem to be forthcoming and his neighbours were become uppity. The ticket gave an ear splitting peep while he blinked. He resolved to wait, for now.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

nvining posted:

logistics of trying to manage 300 unstable idiots who would like nothing more than to go off and start worshipping that thing in the woods. So we'll see.

Is this a real thing? What if I want everyone to worship that thing in the woods :allears:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pozzo posted:

Bureaucrat Third Class Barnaby H. Pozzo had been staring intermittently at his 'golden' ticket for some three weeks now. On close scrutiny it seemed no more than a ripped and beaten old news sheet that had been slathered with cheap mustard coloured paint. Half of an article about Zeppelin explosions was still visible on the back of it. He often wondered whether he was simply being played for a fool by some wag from the club, or some laudanum soaked poet. But it was the high pitched shrieking that seemed to occur whenever he turned his vision elsewhere that made him think it was genuine. However, the golden opportunity which it referred to did not seem to be forthcoming and his neighbours were become uppity. The ticket gave an ear splitting peep while he blinked. He resolved to wait, for now.

if you don't see the fnordticket it can't eat you

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Danith posted:

Is this a real thing? What if I want everyone to worship that thing in the woods :allears:
Yeah, we can sacrifice those morons over in the next settlement. Lousy freeloaders and freemasons the lot of them.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Danith posted:

Again, we direct you to the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1iLpQjULA

300 people is a number pulled out of my posterior; we've done it for pathfinding tests, but I have no idea what an actual cap for your subjects will be yet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The sounds of a group of people sobbing and drinking booze while digging (presumably) a grave it's really creepy.

Please, show us more :allears:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So around what percentage of bugs you've encountered have been incorporated into the game design as Cosmic Horrors? One side effect of featuring bugs in the newsletter and blog is that they become plausibly things that might end up in the game. You've placed Pandora's Cog in the Infernal Machine, Mr. Vining, and now Events are in motion.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

So around what percentage of bugs you've encountered have been incorporated into the game design as Cosmic Horrors? One side effect of featuring bugs in the newsletter and blog is that they become plausibly things that might end up in the game. You've placed Pandora's Cog in the Infernal Machine, Mr. Vining, and now Events are in motion.

Didn't a recent update have pictures of floating furniture? There had better be a haunted furniture invasion event!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Felime posted:

I'm kinda glad you're not doing the early access thing, so I'm not tempted to break my resolution not to do early access and ruin games for myself.

Y'know, given what Dredmor was like, Clockwork Empires might still have some of that Early Access charm after launch.

By which I mean crashing and bugs.

And given some of the hardware I use, I'm expecting some very exotic bugs if I get Clockwork Empires running at all. Said hardware is so exotic I had to alter a driver package by hand before installing to get the hardware to more-or-less work.

Idles
Dec 31, 2007
Just idling.
Hey Clockwork guys, since you're using Lua and also deterministic lockstep multiplayer I'd love to read a more technical blog about that stuff. Like did you patch Lua to use fixed point math (via a C++ class with overloads, or replacing the Lua math ops)? Or are you forcing SSE floating point? Also have you run into the problem of ipairs and various other functions being non-deterministic with pointer-valued keys? Details. Deterministic lockstep multiplayer doesn't have a ton of literature, anything you could add would be great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nvining posted:

300 people is a number pulled out of my posterior; we've done it for pathfinding tests, but I have no idea what an actual cap for your subjects will be yet.

Whatever it is, please make it downward-adjustable if you can and it's practical for gameplay.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Whatever it is, please make it downward-adjustable if you can and it's practical for gameplay.

To one poor, harried, and overworked administrator marooned onto his own patch of land by Her Majesty's Ministry Of Ironic Judgements. They must not have any neighbors until the sentence is complete, such that The Value Of Cooperating With Ones Betters is truly learned.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I just saw this scene on youtube and I kind of want something like this in the game because it's so drat dark and brutal. :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcyLRTB9fRY

Set your workers oppression to max.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Idles posted:

Hey Clockwork guys, since you're using Lua and also deterministic lockstep multiplayer I'd love to read a more technical blog about that stuff. Like did you patch Lua to use fixed point math (via a C++ class with overloads, or replacing the Lua math ops)? Or are you forcing SSE floating point? Also have you run into the problem of ipairs and various other functions being non-deterministic with pointer-valued keys? Details. Deterministic lockstep multiplayer doesn't have a ton of literature, anything you could add would be great.

I think you mean pairs; ipairs is deterministic (with the usual caveats about sparse arrays) and doesn't iterate over keys not in ℕ anyways.

I would also read this, though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

ToxicFrog posted:

I think you mean pairs; ipairs is deterministic (with the usual caveats about sparse arrays) and doesn't iterate over keys not in ℕ anyways.

I would also read this, though.

Please do a technical update. I'd love to read it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

So I just saw this scene on youtube and I kind of want something like this in the game because it's so drat dark and brutal. :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcyLRTB9fRY

Set your workers oppression to max.

Please do not implement genocide :gonk:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I just want to say I haven't actually watched the movie and I initially interpreted the scene as a workers issue. My first thought was that it was set in an American coal company town. But yeah, once I realised they were jews I felt bad.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Volmarias posted:

Isn't this basically going to be the sum of one's interactions with the indigenous lizardmans and the like? You're either Bengaling them or you're showing them the Maxim gun.

Actually, are indigenous populations even on the table still? That was mentioned way back in the Long Long Ago and never been mentioned since. There just really isn't a clever or satirical way to handle colonialism that isn't also seriously dark. Even Candide didn't pull it off, that was one of the most sobering parts of the novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I just want to say I haven't actually watched the movie and I initially interpreted the scene as a workers issue. My first thought was that it was set in an American coal company town. But yeah, once I realised they were jews I felt bad.

I'm astonished you hadn't heard of Schindler's List, but yeah, that's a concentration camp I think.

Though I didn't actually remember that scene from when I watched the movie as a boy, so knowing it's in the movie does kinda change my impression of a few other characters who have scenes where they sit on balconies and shoot people.

I'm not sure it'd fit really with the game though, if you wanted it as a mechanic you would probably be better off with perhaps some sort of uncontrollable Imperial Guard Commissar kind of guy, like the anti-cthulhu hit squad that gets called in if your colony gets too out of control. He just goes around interviewing people and shooting them if he suspects them of being lazy or revolutionary or something. He'd be something you could call in, but it'd be as much of a potential problem if he shoots someone important, as a benefit to productivity.

Especially as you could have him not target nobles or something.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Actually, are indigenous populations even on the table still? That was mentioned way back in the Long Long Ago and never been mentioned since. There just really isn't a clever or satirical way to handle colonialism that isn't also seriously dark. Even Candide didn't pull it off, that was one of the most sobering parts of the novel.
If you want to do that, the way I'd do it is just make it so that the imperialists are horrible to everybody. Not just the natives. I get a distinct feel that you're supposed to somewhat dislike the people in charge of the empire in the game, if only because they keep issuing you stupid orders.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread