Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
On the recommendation of a euro friend I checked out "Misfits" and immediately fell in love with it. The characters, the use of music and the humor all just seem great to me and now I just have the last season, there's five total, to watch and I feel bad about that because I don't want the ride to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kane posted:

Is there a place where people rate specific seasons of shows? It's usually either the show itself or specific episodes.

I'm wondering since, after watching and greatly enjoying the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy, the first 4 episodes of seasons 3 have bored me to tears and I'm wondering if it's just me.

From what I know it's not just you. I think some people may recommend watching the third season too but most of what I've read say 1 and 2 are the only half-decent ones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Started Hannibal. Holy poo poo this show is amazing. I can not wait for season 2.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Binged House of Cards on Netflix over the weekend, even staying up past our bedtime to finish it (and catch the newest ep. of Walking Dead). SO glad we caught up with it, with the new season dropping real soon. Hope to start on House or something new after we binge on HoC season 2.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kane posted:

Is there a place where people rate specific seasons of shows? It's usually either the show itself or specific episodes.

I'm wondering since, after watching and greatly enjoying the first two seasons of Sons of Anarchy, the first 4 episodes of seasons 3 have bored me to tears and I'm wondering if it's just me.

Season three is where it nosedives into Sutter's personal masturbatory leather-daddy sociopath fantasy world of utterly irredeemable horseshit. It's not even worth watching to see how bad it gets. Seriously, nothing ever amounts to anything because none of the characters ever behave consistently again. Nothing matters, everything is sacrificed in the service of Sutter's moronic onanism.

Spiteski posted:

Just started in on Boardwalk Empire. Something I've heard great things about but haven't put it aside. Now me and the missus have finished watching the last season of House together, she's agreed to let it be the next thing we attempt.
Hopefully it keeps up the pace from the first couple episodes. It's pretty good.

The pacing in the first season is actually really bad, but it sorts itself out by season two and just gets better and better.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm finishing up on season 5 of Supernatural. Is it worth continuing or just stop here?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

calandryll posted:

I'm finishing up on season 5 of Supernatural. Is it worth continuing or just stop here?

It gets weak for a little while but by season 8 it's pretty good.

e: specifically, season 6 is kind of aimless (for good reason but still ) and season 7 is solid but kind of divisive because the antagonists are totally new creatures.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I stopped Supernatural around Season 7 or 8 (the leviathans?) because I was just so. loving. tired of Sammy and Dean's whinefest every episode. I liked Cass, and some other characters, but loving hell the pity/blame/selfhate-fest between those two that the show plays out just RUINS everything good about the show, otherwise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

Binged House of Cards on Netflix over the weekend, even staying up past our bedtime to finish it (and catch the newest ep. of Walking Dead). SO glad we caught up with it, with the new season dropping real soon.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the original BBC version if you can. It's good stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, the BBC version is good. Urquhart is much more villainous and imposing than Underwood.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

I stopped Supernatural around Season 7 or 8 (the leviathans?) because I was just so. loving. tired of Sammy and Dean's whinefest every episode. I liked Cass, and some other characters, but loving hell the pity/blame/selfhate-fest between those two that the show plays out just RUINS everything good about the show, otherwise.

If you didn't see the end of the Leviathans then you stopped at season 7. Season 8 picked up the pace and was generally better by far. Season 9 so far has been way better, bringing back everything that made the show great in the first place.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

If you didn't see the end of the Leviathans then you stopped at season 7. Season 8 picked up the pace and was generally better by far. Season 9 so far has been way better, bringing back everything that made the show great in the first place.

Do the brothers still cry in silence when they're alone? Do they still have plot points where they lie to each other and try to be the noble sacrifice instead of working poo poo out with each other right away?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Drifter posted:

Do the brothers still cry in silence when they're alone? Do they still have plot points where they lie to each other and try to be the noble sacrifice instead of working poo poo out with each other right away?

Eh, sort of. The big deal now is that Sam tried to do a noble sacrifice to close the gates of Hell, but Dean talked him it out of it. But yeah, they're still lying to each other, and getting angry about the lying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thrakkorzog posted:

Eh, sort of. The big deal now is that Sam tried to do a noble sacrifice to close the gates of Hell, but Dean talked him it out of it. But yeah, they're still lying to each other, and getting angry about the lying.

Then I still stand by my choice to not watch it. :colbert:

I'll just watch outtake clips on youtube for season 8 and 9.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

It's nowhere near as bad as it has been, but the whole "Dean will do anything to save Sam" thing is still kicking around. So, a bit spoilery

-Season 8 starts 1 year later but Sam and Dean have experienced radically different lives, and the rejoining causes a fair amount of animosity between them, some really interesting new characters show up, plus Castiel pops in and out of their lives and some weird poo poo goes down in Heaven. Once they get into the meta-plot, the quality really picks up and the show gets good.

-Season 9, Dean keeping a major secret from Sam is a major factor in driving the plot for the first 7 episodes, but it pays off in spades when Sam learns, confronts Dean and basically says "As hunters, we can be a team and bag demons/monsters with the best of them, but as a family? We're hosed because you refuse to let me go even when it's my choice. So keep your distance and lets work cases like professionals" And it seems like they're going to pursue this direction in the show for now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll stop pestering this thread with Supernatural posts after this one, but they've ALWAYS, since like season 5, had the whole "we're a family we should tell each other everything," shtick.

And then they keep crying when they repeatedly lie to each other and get found out.

:qq::respek::qq:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They've been doing that since season one. Whenever there's a large body of water in shot.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Trig Discipline posted:

Continuing on Person of Interest, we are three episodes into season 3 now and it has started getting seriously good. Particularly the last bit of season 2 where they mostly dropped the criminal-of-the-week schtick and started actually pursuing the more serial aspects of the show. The first bit of season 3 has been okay, but a bit of a letdown after how good the last bit of season 2 was.

Oh man, thank Jesus. I started watching this and think the serial aspect of the show is interesting as hell but the criminal of the week stuff bores me to tears, I have no earthly idea why they are bothering with that. :psyduck: guess I'll keep going.

So many shows do that crap though. Justified, Fringe, etc. until they realize that criminal/monster of the week well, sucks. I just don't know why to do that in the first place.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

DarkCrawler posted:

So many shows do that crap though. Justified, Fringe, etc. until they realize that criminal/monster of the week well, sucks. I just don't know why to do that in the first place.
The writers all grew up watching the X-Files, where the opposite was true.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is watching The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and it's good TV but man would it destroy people's reputation today. Multiple favorable phrenology references, portraying the "Indian Mutiny" as cowardly and dishonest, major concessions given to the upper class, women being portrayed as fainting goats, and any character who uses or favors anything foreign is invariably deceitful. Hard to believe the show is only 30 years old.

Hahaha a British prison warden in India just yelled at an Indian guard for hitting a white prisoner, he literally says "You shall not abuse the white prisoner." He gives the white prisoner a cushy administrative detail, specifically because he was white. The show's verdict on the warden: "He was as kindly a Christian gentleman I've ever known."

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 14, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Everyone with four hours to kill and Amazon Prime should go watch Zack Stone is Gonna Be Famous. It's both hilarious and touching, the ending left me feeling like I was going to cry and probably not for the reasons you'd think. Yes it was on MTV. Yes it was cancelled after 12 episodes, but they were aware of that so there is a resolution to the whole thing. It's more like an extended movie than a TV show, really.

Basic premise is that this kid named Zack wants to be famous, so instead of going to college like everyone else he knows he opts to spend his money to hire a film crew to follow him around and document his 'per-celebrety' life. Each episode he comes up with another idea to try and finally make it, but well, you know. It could come off as really cynical and mean but it's really not, it's genuine and really sad how much of a broken person Zack (and a lot of 18 year olds not sure of their future) is when he isn't in front of a camera.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh man, thank Jesus. I started watching this and think the serial aspect of the show is interesting as hell but the criminal of the week stuff bores me to tears, I have no earthly idea why they are bothering with that. :psyduck: guess I'll keep going.

Fringe's best episode was a stand alone. (White Tulip) Also one of Justified's best episodes really did not have anything to do with the serial aspect. (Alan Ruck dentist episode)

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Fringe's best episode was a stand alone. (White Tulip) Also one of Justified's best episodes really did not have anything to do with the serial aspect. (Alan Ruck dentist episode)

White Tulip isn't really a stand alone. Without it the ending of the show would make no sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baron FU posted:

White Tulip isn't really a stand alone. Without it the ending of the show would make no sense.

It was when it aired.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

It was when it aired.

A major part of the episode was about telling Peter though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

computer parts posted:

A major part of the episode was about telling Peter though.

Yeah but you could still watch it at any point of the season. It like saying that all episodes of person of intreast are seralized since they have the machine in them or any show that has people dealing with another characters death. I would say that the seralized elements really come up in season 3 with the switch and the machine.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

My girlfriend is watching The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and it's good TV but man would it destroy people's reputation today. Multiple favorable phrenology references, portraying the "Indian Mutiny" as cowardly and dishonest, major concessions given to the upper class, women being portrayed as fainting goats, and any character who uses or favors anything foreign is invariably deceitful. Hard to believe the show is only 30 years old.

Hahaha a British prison warden in India just yelled at an Indian guard for hitting a white prisoner, he literally says "You shall not abuse the white prisoner." He gives the white prisoner a cushy administrative detail, specifically because he was white. The show's verdict on the warden: "He was as kindly a Christian gentleman I've ever known."

That show is basically just a completely faithful adaptation of the original stories, with no real attempts to update or alter them. That's pretty much all the attitudes of the time they were written.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I know, and I get that, but I'm just thinking about how impossible it'd be to make this show now.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Binged through Orphan Black in two days. It started off as a really gripping mystery for the first three episodes (with some lovely, brutal cliffhangers) then it kind of settled into some episode-of-the-week normal TV faire. I've enjoyed it, but I'm not sure where it's going or if I'll stick with it.

EDIT: If you're on the fence about giving it a try like I had been - it's only 10 episodes and the first episode is pretty good for telling if you'll like it or not.

Weird things: as a British person, some of the accents irked me. And am I the only one who thinks Detective Art looks a lot like Kanye West?

SPOILER talk: Housewife Clone is SUPER evil and crazy and I hope she dies as much as I hoped Helena (Evil Ukrainian Clone) would die. Goddamn.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 15, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the first time I've seen non-British people playing British people on a TV show.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
I thought the accent was done really well, I assumed she was English until I read afterwards she was Canadian. At least she didn't sound Australian or 19th century cockney like most north American attempts. Other than her brother, the rest were all supposed to be from the US right?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Just got through binging through House. The finale didn't do it for me, but I cant pinpoint why. Season 8 overall felt very different. Great show overall though. I think I need more Charlyne Yi in my life.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Meat Recital posted:

Just got through binging through House. The finale didn't do it for me, but I cant pinpoint why. Season 8 overall felt very different. Great show overall though. I think I need more Charlyne Yi in my life.

I sort of agree about season 8 in general. I really liked the finale, but man the ex-prison doctor was a waste of show time. I can't think of a signal valuable addition she made to the show. Was a fantastic season for Chase though.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Much like I did with Lost, I am going to appreciate watching Walking Dead since the beginning of season three.

It would be nice catching up.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I decided it was time to take on Deadwood. This show has such an incredible cast, I don't know why I didn't start watching it earlier, and I had no idea Timothy Olyphant and John Hawkes were in it. I think I'm going to love this show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Exploder posted:

I decided it was time to take on Deadwood. This show has such an incredible cast, I don't know why I didn't start watching it earlier, and I had no idea Timothy Olyphant and John Hawkes were in it. I think I'm going to love this show.

You are in for such a treat. It's always in my Top Five dramas of all time, always under The Wire and Breaking Bad, but ahead of The Shield.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Exploder posted:

Get ready to have cocksucker enter your everyday vocabulary

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This is what Deadwood does to your loving vocabulary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U
:clint: "If I am not provided with adequate peripherals to that morning time delight for both soul, body, and taste buds, I shall smack you so loving hard upside of that gimp head of yours" :clint:

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I finally got around to starting The Shield last weekend and now I've blasted my way through to the end of season 4 already. This show is amazing and I don't want to run out of it so soon but I can't stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's the first time I've seen non-British people playing British people on a TV show.

You've never seen Buffy? Spike and Wesley already perfected that art form over a decade ago.

DarkCrawler posted:

Except Person of Interest's cases of the week are always really good. It's the overarching storyline that makes the show transcendent, but the weekly stories are by no means a waste of time or superfluous. They are interesting on their own, inventive, well written and flesh out the characters and the world.