Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Richard Meaden drove the eighties TWR Jaguar XJS touring car for Evo about a month back, and he described the look on the face of the guy doing the noise check as being one of genuine disgust.

This is what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

I see they have Dick Johnson's Ford Sierra there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The noise limits at NHMS vary depending on event, for reasons I don't understand. Our vintage bike races mostly have noise limits but of course NASCAR doesn't. Cause we're louder, obviously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The noise limits at NHMS vary depending on event, for reasons I don't understand. Our vintage bike races mostly have noise limits but of course NASCAR doesn't. Cause we're louder, obviously.

:homebrew:

NASCAR can slap a fat wad on the desk and get pretty much whatever they want.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I know it's not very AI or whatever, but gently caress loud cars on the street. There's no excuse for a car or bike to be so loud that I can't carry on a conversation in my car when I'm driving next to yours.

Noise limits at the track are dumb, though.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 14, 2014

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

You Am I posted:

I see they have Dick Johnson's Ford Sierra there as well.

gently caress yes, I met Dick Johnson when I was about 7 and he let me sit in that(or at least a) Sierra and then gave me a signed photo of it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I know it's not very AI or whatever, but gently caress loud cars on the street. There's no excuse for a car or bike to be so loud that I can't carry on a conversation in my car when I'm driving next to yours.

Noise limits at the track are dumb, though.
I'm not a fan of lovely exhausts, but a nice mustang or something with a decent rumble is never a bad thing.

Maybe you should spend less time driving next to other people - safer, and you get to have a conversation too!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

Richard Meaden drove the eighties TWR Jaguar XJS touring car for Evo about a month back, and he described the look on the face of the guy doing the noise check as being one of genuine disgust.

This is what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

I came.

I think the guy's disgust was from having to change his pants.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/buying-car-can-put-strain-relationship/2014/01/30

This absolutely turned my stomach.

Disgusting trollop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress that. I've bought 7 since I've been with my girlfriend and she only hates me like 3 days out of a week.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's ... downright lovely.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The first bit of the first line of the author's bio tells us a lot:

quote:

Emily Campbell is a perpetually single, 20-something girl-around-town who loves Shakespeare, old movies, Natty Boh, and of course, long walks on the beach.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because as we all know the best way to make sure a relationship lasts is to try and change the person you're with into someone else.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
~Complains BFs car is unsafe and hoopty~

~Tries to buy an old Isuzu Trooper~

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tries to buy a Trooper and fails because even their bank knows it's dog poo poo.
Best part: the AW11 will probably still be running when whatever they end up buying gives up the ghost.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fayez Butts posted:

The first bit of the first line of the author's bio tells us a lot:

I was just about to point that out - the whole article reeks of high maintenance, picky, stuck-up idiot that refuses to compromise on anything. Probably why her last relationship "fizzled over a text message" - betting the text was from the ex boyfriend, along the lines of "die in a fire" or "I already have one mother, I don't need another one".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh. She's not a bad looking haul for a guy who drives a salvage title AW11. :effort:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tobu posted:

When is that 94db allowed? at idle or flat open or what? Where I am you're car isn't meant to break 90db (96db if the car is pre-1983 cars) stationary at 4000rpm.
I don't know poo poo about cars, I can't afford to track them so I track motorcycles. There is a sound station between 4 and 5 and between 12 and 14a - if you pop sound you get black flagged and tech checks out your exhaust - if you don't have a silencer to put in it or a stock exhaust with you then you're done for the day. There are certain bikes like the Panigale (from exhaust) and the 06+ R6 (intake) that trip it dead stock and you basically have to short shift down the straights if you're a fast rider.

Aurune posted:

The fixes for such things are as well.

Yeah, owner of the track has a 911 GT3 cup or some poo poo with a weird exhaust to sneak past too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Because money. Unrestricted days are expensive as poo poo to run.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 14, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I traded my beloved beater peace of poo poo in for something more respectable because even I started getting embarrassed to give girls rides in it and yell over the exhaust to ask if they are comfy when clearly they just wanted to get out at the next light.
Dont understand why she wanted a Trooper tho and why he couldnt keep the AWII as a project/sunday driver.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Girlfriendchat, she's probably moving across the country this summer for grad school, and I intend to move with her. She already has a car and I have 2 bikes, so I may... have to... sell the Studebaker :(

That's my terrible car stuff. I intend to list it at a price that will give me a good price if I do sell it, but I kind of like this car drat it. But I like her better, I guess.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Girlfriendchat, she's probably moving across the country this summer for grad school, and I intend to move with her. She already has a car and I have 2 bikes, so I may... have to... sell the Studebaker :(

That's my terrible car stuff. I intend to list it at a price that will give me a good price if I do sell it, but I kind of like this car drat it. But I like her better, I guess.

Sell the motorcycles to pay for transporting the car where you're going?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pham Nuwen posted:

Sell a bike, buy a single-bike trailer, haul that poo poo with the Lark.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sell a bike, buy a single-bike trailer, haul that poo poo with the Lark.

If we're driving across country, she wants to be in the same vehicle, so we would need to ship her Toyota (Camry, which I actually enjoy) and all of our stuff. Or we could ship one car, put the bikes and our stuff in a U-Haul, and tow the other car behind the U-Haul.

She's not fully sold on the Studebaker, I think because she's only been in it a few times and sees it mostly as something that always needs work. I think of it as something fun to drive that also may die at any time and uses 10 mpg and always has something that needs doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Agreed, unless the bikes are super unique or something.

Edit: Option B, do you have family locally? Would they allow you to store it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Agreed, unless the bikes are super unique or something.

Edit: Option B, do you have family locally? Would they allow you to store it?

Closest family is about 800 miles away. I should be able to store it with them, but it's a long drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Closest family is about 800 miles away. I should be able to store it with them, but it's a long drive.

Option C. Stash it at a friend's house for a bit. Fly home and drive it back?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Option C. Stash it at a friend's house for a bit. Fly home and drive it back?

That actually sounds like a pretty good option. I'm thinking of listing it on Craigslist for around $8000 (I bought it for $4700), because at that price I'll sell it, sure. If it doesn't sell, I have several friends who would probably let me leave it with them. My plan is to stay with the same employer and work remotely, but they would probably fly me back to CA from time to time and one of those trips I could drive it back over the course of a few days.

The cool part about that plan would be that it's a bit of a fun adventure. I could take neat back highways (route 66?) and hell, if it dies along the way, that's the best way for it to go--cruising cross-country.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every once in a while I have a good idea.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If the other car's just a Camry, sell it and buy another one when you get there? That's like the most interchangeable car there is.

Disclaimer: I'm single.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

If the other car's just a Camry, sell it and buy another one when you get there? That's like the most interchangeable car there is.

Disclaimer: I'm single.

Would be fine, except:

1. She'll need some way to get to school, dependably and immediately (doesn't have her motorcycle license yet)

2. She bought the Camry new and there's such a drat loss you take selling a car you bought new a year or two ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

2. She bought the Camry new and there's such a drat loss you take selling a car you bought new a year or two ago.

If you did consider that route however, you could do a lot worse than Toyota. They top the charts for resale value.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

The rare and elusive FDPreludeVette

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

If you did consider that route however, you could do a lot worse than Toyota. They top the charts for resale value.

True. Maybe if we can get her a motorcycle license before we leave. The little '79 Honda would be great for running to school and back, I love taking it to work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Brigdh posted:

The rare and elusive FDPreludeVette

All of which is all the sadder because

it's an MR2.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

All of which is all the sadder because

it's an MR2.

They somehow made it even boxier. Normally, this is a good thing but it's just so sad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Time for him to trade up alright...

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Wasabi the J posted:

I like the noise limits they put in place at Las Vegas Motor Speedway...

When less than a mile down the road, the runway for Nellis AFB starts.

If you've been here a while, you also note that there is literally no housing within a mile of LVMS.

Too bad you weren't here a few years back for this terrible car thing:

No clue who those people are, but for people who don't know, this Ford's owner was so gung-ho about being an Air Force cop that he paid to make his POV look like a law enforcement vehicle. After a lot of ridicule, he changed it to this:

Don't know what ever happened to that kid, but it's a shame we don't have his car to laugh at anymore.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

The back end of that car really pulls off that Hard Drivin' look.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

If you've been here a while, you also note that there is literally no housing within a mile of LVMS.

Too bad you weren't here a few years back for this terrible car thing:

No clue who those people are, but for people who don't know, this Ford's owner was so gung-ho about being an Air Force cop that he paid to make his POV look like a law enforcement vehicle. After a lot of ridicule, he changed it to this:

Don't know what ever happened to that kid, but it's a shame we don't have his car to laugh at anymore.

And I'm sitting here trying to figure out what dirty word appears when the door opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I love that there are apparently "car people" on the Internet who've never encountered noise limits. You really can tell who's been to the track... Hahaha.

MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon, TWS, COTA, NOLA Motorsports, and No Problem Raceway are all tracks in my area that don't have noise limits. Harris Hill is the only one I've seen w/ any sort of restriction.