Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reading that poo poo makes me hate the world I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
No picture but I am shocked, SHOCKED to find out that the new Chrysler/Jeep/Land Rover 9 speed transaxles are blowing up at an alarming rate after a few months/thounsand miles of driving. :rolleye:

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/33-engine-technical-discussion/4762-transmission-woes.html

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/33-engine-technical-discussion/6025-transmission-problem-shifting-into-drive.html

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Take the silencer out and see if they respond a bit quicker. You went out of your way to fix it, now they're the inconsiderate assholes for not letting you know you're not the inconsiderate rear end in a top hat anymore.

I'd just leave it out frankly, and when they ask you to fix it, tell him you'll consider it in a few days.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If they have to think about it it means they haven't noticed it... therefore it has been working, at least until you sent that message.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
They're kind, polite Canadians how sinister could they really be?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

:shepspends::shepspends::shepspends:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Just plunk down the cash for a Greddy PEX, even with no cat mine idles a much quieter and isnt horribly boomy at motorway speeds. Only cost me 60 quid! Although in my case it was to be able to pass track noise limits.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bald and fail II posted:

Just plunk down the cash for a Greddy PEX, even with no cat mine idles a much quieter and isnt horribly boomy at motorway speeds. Only cost me 60 quid! Although in my case it was to be able to pass track noise limits.

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

don't most tracks have a noise limit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Pretty much. In your shoes, if you aren't sitting there revving it outside their kid's window while they're trying to nap, and you've already made the exhaust legally quiet enough (i.e. it would pass whatever actual sound level laws you have there) then gently caress them. You've already been more than accommodating.

veedubfreak posted:

I remember Blooot having a ridiculous bolt-on muffler setup for his 510 just to pass tech at Laguna Seca.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I frankly don't understand why you're being so damned accommodating to them. They're acting like you somehow owe them something. Frankly the whole situation is ridiculous, what right do they have to dictate to you? The fact that they had the nerve to say anything other than 'Thank you for being so accommodating.' is grounds for taking the silencer off again in my opinion. But then, I never would have put it on in the first place unless my car was ridiculously loud and I intended to idle in front of their house for an hour a day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

This, I really don't understand why you are bending over backwards for these people. You've spent several hundred dollars trying to make whiny entitled assholes happy. Why.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I can understand it somewhat. I hate being thought of as 'that rear end in a top hat with the loud poo poo next door' and my car is fairly loud. I don't like to poo poo where I eat. I want home to be home and not another loving warzone after dealing with stupid bullshit at work all day. I go out of my way to idle through the neighborhood, do noisy repairs mid-day, etc. There's certainly a limit though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Racetracks here do noise testing, blame the NIMBY crowd for it. Some are better than others depending on location and some have different noise limits depending on the day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bald and fail II posted:

Racetracks here do noise testing, blame the NIMBY crowd for it. Some are better than others depending on location and some have different noise limits depending on the day.
I particularly like it when people from around Bruntingthorpe don't like the noise. Fine, we'll bring the B-52s back, shall we?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I agree that it's good for you to be taking actions to prevent being loud but spending hundreds of dollars on all kinds of new exhausts just to please them is insane. I don't recall if you've told them that you've spent a bunch of money already but it's completely unreasonable to expect more than what you've done.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

InitialDave posted:

Fine, we'll bring the B-52s back, shall we?

Sign says: "Stay away fools!"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hard to tell because this dude was doing about a hundred, but he has two gigantic nuts (of the hexagonal steel variety) hanging off his back bumper. When I saw him approaching in my rearview, with the gigantic skull on his grille, I thought it'd be terrible. But those nuts... I'm not sure.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 13, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can understand it somewhat. I hate being thought of as 'that rear end in a top hat with the loud poo poo next door' and my car is fairly loud. I don't like to poo poo where I eat. I want home to be home and not another loving warzone after dealing with stupid bullshit at work all day. I go out of my way to idle through the neighborhood, do noisy repairs mid-day, etc. There's certainly a limit though.

I had this problem once, but my car was kinda ridiculous. I just started parking facing downhill and would just roll down the street when I left in the mornings. It didn't help that I was living with my mom at the time and the neighbor who complained had lived there for years and was friends with my step dad. He was really nice about it as well. You can kinda see how insane the exhaust was in this picture

It just came right off the header and out the back with that supertrapp. Obviously this picture was taken after the car was destroyed by a Mercedes Sprinter van deciding not to stop for the light I was stopped at and hitting me going 30+ mph. You can see that it left its Mercedes logo on my car.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Hard to tell because this dude was doing about a hundred, but he has two gigantic nuts (of the hexagonal steel variety) hanging off his back bumper. When I saw him approaching in my rearview, with the gigantic skull on his grille, I thought it'd be terrible. But those nuts... I'm not sure.

I saw that on a truck around here too. It's a creative and generally stupid way to do truck nuts. I'd hate to be the person behind them when the gigantic 3 inch solid steel nut flies off.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

EXACTLY. Dont get me wrong guys, I laughed my rear end off any time I managed to set off a car alarm idling through a parking lot, and the car was more than capable of this at one point but I dont want to skirt the law. If I am disturbing their sleep im disturbing their sleep and that is not okay.

The other factor is that the car has a gray market jap motor in it. If these tolwo were to call the gendarmes I could be looking at big fines or impound.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

Sign says: "Stay away fools!"
Well, it is set way back in the middle of a field...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bald and fail II posted:

I like the noise limits they put in place at Las Vegas Motor Speedway...

When less than a mile down the road, the runway for Nellis AFB starts.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

:colbert: Planes are a form of mass transit and should be allowed to put out 140db its for the greater good :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drukqs posted:

:colbert: Planes are a form of mass transit and should be allowed to put out 140db its for the greater good :colbert:

NASCAR puts all the rednecks in a small confined space and keeps them sitting still for 6 hours, it's for the greater good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Best part of a track day at lvms is watching the fighter jets fly around.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wasabi the J posted:

We have a 94dB limit at Arizona Motorsports Park...

poo poo is loving retarded.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
When is that 94db allowed? at idle or flat open or what? Where I am you're car isn't meant to break 90db (96db if the car is pre-1983 cars) stationary at 4000rpm.

When an officer on the side of the road tested mine I passed fine but then he looked under the hood to check if my BOV was plumbed in (it wasn't) but he couldn't find it so I played dumb. He tried just reving it and then letting off which didn't set off the BOV so he was happy.

Then he accused me of relocating my center brake light and being unroadworthy for not having a rear wiper when the car came equipped with one. He spent ages on the phone to the transport department as I tried to explain that the brake light was standard and that the rear glass was from a 2 door skyline not a 4 door hence the hole for the wiper.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can guarantee you anyone living nearby complains about the jet noise, too. See: Virginia Beach.

Also Lloyd and Dave, that was excellent :golfclap:

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

tobu posted:

When is that 94db allowed? at idle or flat open or what? Where I am you're car isn't meant to break 90db (96db if the car is pre-1983 cars) stationary at 4000rpm.

When an officer on the side of the road tested mine I passed fine but then he looked under the hood to check if my BOV was plumbed in (it wasn't) but he couldn't find it so I played dumb. He tried just reving it and then letting off which didn't set off the BOV so he was happy.

Then he accused me of relocating my center brake light and being unroadworthy for not having a rear wiper when the car came equipped with one. He spent ages on the phone to the transport department as I tried to explain that the brake light was standard and that the rear glass was from a 2 door skyline not a 4 door hence the hole for the wiper.

Sounds like Canada, in California the cop would just issue you a boatload of tickets, betting that you would pay all the fines or make his dumbass corrections

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

We have a 94dB limit at Arizona Motorsports Park...

poo poo is loving retarded.

The fixes for such things are as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Richard Meaden drove the eighties TWR Jaguar XJS touring car for Evo about a month back, and he described the look on the face of the guy doing the noise check as being one of genuine disgust.

This is what it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXLysNl-wE

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Aurune posted:

The fixes for such things are as well.

:stare: Come on.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Richard Meaden drove the eighties TWR Jaguar XJS touring car for Evo about a month back, and he described the look on the face of the guy doing the noise check as being one of genuine disgust.

Jesus christ, if only they'd actually thought to bring a microphone capable of coping with that wall of sound. That's incredible.

Also, completely wrong topic :D

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I love that there are apparently "car people" on the Internet who've never encountered noise limits. You really can tell who's been to the track... Hahaha.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I love that there are apparently "car people" on the Internet who've never encountered noise limits. You really can tell who's been to the track... Hahaha.

poo poo, my old apartment complex had noise limits and I had a Jeep with no muffler for a few weeks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What if you went over it? Not allowed the live there? I'd love to see that eviction notice!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What if you went over it? Not allowed the live there? I'd love to see that eviction notice!

Nah, they called the police and you got a noise disturbance ticket. I think it was $75. I worked at a nightclub that was adjacent to a nursing home and they got them every weekend. Old people do not like noises.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

That is loving obscene. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drukqs posted:

poo poo, my all mil flight back from Afghanistan didn't even land at NAFB; landed all the way down at McCarren. Who the gently caress is flying mass transit into Nellis?