Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Every time I look at the engineer I see handsome Squidward :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MUFFlNS posted:

Every time I look at the engineer I see handsome Squidward :negative:

I don't understand how you can dislike the movie keeping that in mind. :D

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've said this before, but there are three trains of thought on Prometheus:

1) Everything is symbolic and most everything has some deeper meaning, and anything that's "dumb" that happens, happens for a specific reason.

2) This movie disappears up its own rear end

3) This is dumb and not how my space mission would go

This is the first I've seen people criticize the production design. Not my favorite Ridley Scott movie but hardly the worst.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've said this before, but there are three trains of thought on Prometheus:

1) Everything is symbolic and most everything has some deeper meaning, and anything that's "dumb" that happens, happens for a specific reason.

2) This movie disappears up its own rear end

3) This is dumb and not how my space mission would go

This is the first I've seen people criticize the production design. Not my favorite Ridley Scott movie but hardly the worst.

I thought Weyland's old man makeup was laughably bad. The engineer looked fairly cool though, like a living greek statue.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you attributed the original Alien to Damien Lindelof nerds would immediately start bashing it because, like, the xenomorph life cycle is totally unrealistic and they don't even tell you where the eggs come from in the first place. What a hack :rolleyes:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Engineers in the script are directly compared to as living greek statues. And I'm bashing Lindelof :argh: because most stuff did make sense before he came onboard. Not everything mind, it was still a first draft.

Also I was wrong before; there was a caesearian scene in the original. It was even bloodier.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I thought Weyland's old man makeup was laughably bad.

I'm entirely convinced it was made by oatmeal and bad CGI.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
The original script was terrible and nothing but fanservice (I mean just look at the way people talk about it ITT), and it would have made a far worse film. Lindelof was brought in to fix it and he did pretty drat well

Spaceking posted:

Oh, and Engineers had one-liners. GOOD one-liners.

Plus, the final battle also involved Shaw fighting the proto-alien at the end (called the ULTRAMORPH, because it was ARMOR-PLATED) during a "wilderness of lightning, fire, and twisted metal" where she gets impaled with its tail but shoves a DIAMOND HULLSAW INTO ITS FACE! :aaa:

This sounds terrible and it would have been terrible

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 14, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The original script was terrible and nothing but fanservice (I mean just look at the way people talk about it ITT), and it would have made a far worse film. Lindelof was brought in to fix it and he did pretty drat well

Instead it abuses all the typical sci-fi movie tropes with a veneer of pseudo-intellectual bullshit organized into a disjointed mess of scenes just to make a larger movie-going audience cash grab. Yeah, he did pretty drat well. :thumbsup:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Prometheus was simply a movie that went in a different direction than the other films. I remember reading that Scott didn't really like the original script because it retread too much old ground.

Obsurveyor posted:

Instead it abuses all the typical sci-fi movie tropes with a veneer of pseudo-intellectual bullshit organized into a disjointed mess of scenes just to make a larger movie-going audience cash grab. Yeah, he did pretty drat well. :thumbsup:

Pseudo-intellectual is a pretty dumb word to use, right up there with pretentious. Also if anything, adding more complexity will make it much less of a cash grab not more.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 14, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Obsurveyor posted:

What are you even saying? A straight up action-heavy prequel full of xenomorphs would have been a bigger cash grab than Prometheus was

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Obsurveyor posted:

Instead it abuses all the typical sci-fi movie tropes with a veneer of pseudo-intellectual bullshit organized into a disjointed mess of scenes just to make a larger movie-going audience cash grab.
Hahaha, we are through some kind of goddamn looking grass right here.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Remember when in Aliens vs. Predator 1 the blond woman and generic dude are standing around a bunch of eggs and the blond woman is bragging about her pistol and how "this is like a condom...ALWAYS USE PROTECTION" and then cocks her gun and tries to be a bad rear end but then they are overcome by a facehugger that slows time like in the Matrix and also speeds up time because it brings its victim from facehugged to adult Alien out and killing stuff in five minutes flat?

Remember when in Aliens vs. Predator 1 that Italian dude that gets killed is like "MY PEOPLE HAVE A SAYING...THE ENEMY...OF MY ENEMY....IS MY FRIEND." And then like less than ten minutes later Sanaa Lathan helps a Predator kill an Alien and is like, very sagely, "THE ENEMY...OF MY ENEMY...IS MY FRIEND," so that we know why she helped the Predator out?

Remember how Sanaa Lathan runs around the surface of Antarctica in slacks and a cleavage shirt for half an hour straight and doesn't ever get cold?

That was deep man. Too intellectual.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What are you even saying? A straight up action-heavy prequel full of xenomorphs would have been a bigger cash grab than Prometheus was

I haven't read that original script so I don't have any idea how Prometheus was supposed to be according to the hardcore fans. I only know the movie I saw but if it's really supposed to be some kind of Xenomorph origin story or whatever, it's a pretty lovely one. Also, typically, "fanservice" only movies don't do so hot compared to stuff aligned to mainstream audiences, which is what Prometheus seemed to be to me.

Dan Didio posted:

Your typo is pretty hilarious too.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Obsurveyor posted:

if it's really supposed to be some kind of Xenomorph origin story or whatever

It's not

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember Ridley Scott explicitly saying that he didn't intend for Prometheus to be a prequel, but that the movie was linked to the first Alien movie in other ways.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Bad Grandpa had better old-man makeup than Prometheus. Hell the end of the first Jackass did too. For all the talent working on it Prometheus was a goddamn joke top to bottom.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

quote:

I don't know why he turned into a zombie; it wasn't in Engineers. He just got facehugged and chestbursted in that.

No, that didn't happen. He was attacked by the scarabs and had his DNA mutated, ending up very similar to what we actually saw.

Spaceking posted:

Engineers in the script are directly compared to as living greek statues. And I'm bashing Lindelof :argh: because most stuff did make sense before he came onboard. Not everything mind, it was still a first draft.

Also I was wrong before; there was a caesearian scene in the original. It was even bloodier.

The original script was stupid as poo poo in its own way. What you just posted here is a good example. That scene is awful and ridiculous. You sound like a 12 year old. What adult reads that scene and gets so excited about it.

quote:

Oh, and Engineers had one-liners. GOOD one-liners.

Plus, the final battle also involved Shaw fighting the proto-alien at the end (called the ULTRAMORPH, because it was ARMOR-PLATED) during a "wilderness of lightning, fire, and twisted metal" where she gets impaled with its tail but shoves a DIAMOND HULLSAW INTO ITS FACE!

Really? That sounds GOOD to you? That reads like a child jacked up on Mt Dew and bored in class decided to write some fan fic.

I actually think that bringing Prometheus further from Alien was a good idea, they just didn't seem to know what the gently caress they were doing overall. In the draft, Shaws BF was an older professor who was an actual character instead of the absolute poo poo fest we got. Oddly enough I found that most of the characters, and reasons for characters doing what they did, were a lot better thought out in the draft. The downside is that David was absolute garbage in the draft.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I remember Ridley Scott explicitly saying that he didn't intend for Prometheus to be a prequel, but that the movie was linked to the first Alien movie in other ways.

Yeah. He said, essentially, that if Prometheus had a sequel it wouldn't be Alien 1. Same universe and stuff, but Prometheus is intended to go a different direction.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Robot_Rumpus posted:

No, that didn't happen. He was attacked by the scarabs and had his DNA mutated, ending up very similar to what we actually saw.

Oh, I mistook the zombie for Holloway, my mistake. Yeah, Fifield's mutation in the draft was weird too. Probably could've done without that, but it does kill Vickers, which is better than the rolling Juggernaut.

Robot_Rumpus posted:

The original script was stupid as poo poo in its own way. What you just posted here is a good example. That scene is awful and ridiculous. You sound like a 12 year old. What adult reads that scene and gets so excited about it.

I meant that as in "Oh god, no" rather than excited. The scene in the movie still unnerves me, we don't need more blood there.

The buzzsaw thing makes me excited in the same way Ripley getting in the Power Loader makes me excited. I'll more than conceed the draft had its fair share of stupidity (one of the marines getting turned into a 'flesh plug' in the vent? What?), but it made more sense on the whole and I found it more entertaining. Though yeah, David did get a bit "Mwuahaha" at times. Trinary code? The hell?

If Scott didn't want it to be a prequel, I can see why he might have changed that script so much to get rid of all the aliens running around. So I guess its not all Lindelof's fault, but I'm still blaming him for making things nonsensical. Getting rid of the Holloway alien means they had to kill some of the crew off somehow, and they decided to go with super zombie. Not the best decision.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Obsurveyor posted:

Your typo is pretty hilarious too.

Through the Looking Grass was my favourite book as a child.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I maintain that Vickers should have been the one to live, because she was the movie's Ripley.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I maintain that Vickers should have been the one to live, because she was the movie's Ripley.

I quietly applauded when she made the most sensible decision in the film and incinerated Holloway.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Wow that script seems more stupid then the Alien 3 one where everyone instantly has their flesh torn off and turn into aliens without facehuggers whilst Hicks runs around a space station dealing with cold war bullshit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the exact same way that Dallas was the hero of Alien. That was intentional, you're set up to root for the character most like Ripley to be the hero, just the same as you're set up to root for the big name celebrity captain.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

catlord posted:

I have the first collection, hardcover, from when they were still Hicks and Newt, as well as the novelization written after the change. One of my earliest comic purchases, though I never really got around to picking up other collections (that weren't superheroes fighting aliens/predators). I should grab some of the omnibuses at some point.

Also, I liked Prometheus, but man, every single complaint is valid. Although, I saw it in theatres with my grandma, who's a science teacher, and a lot of the beginning we were trying not to laugh too loud about the scientists doing stupid poo poo. Are they the stupidest scientists in recent film history? I'd say they're in the running.

To be fair the actual goal of the mission wasn't to really do any science, it was to establish contact with the Engineers and somehow adapt their technology to keep Weilend alive. They didn't need the top geologists or biologists for that, they had David. Why waste money, just hire some idiots with ok credentials who will probably jump at a chance to work for a giant corporation. They just hired Fifield and Milburn to make it look like it was an actual scientific survey. No one who really knew what was going on gave a poo poo about those two or what they could contribute.

Also the reason for the old man makeup was there was supposed to be a bunch of scenes between David and Weyland while Weyland was in suspended animation. David would be communicating with him via the dream visor he used on Elizabeth. In these scenes Weland would have envisioned himself not as the old, decrepit man he was but as the youthful scientist he used to be. Young Weland was played by Guy Pierce (you can see him in some of the pre release TED talks), Scott wanted both versions of Weyland to be played by the same actor. These scenes were scrapped when it was decided they wanted to keep Weylands presence on board a secret for as long as possible. I'm not excusing it, it was a fairly mediocre old man suit, but there was a reason behind it.

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 15, 2014

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

To be fair the actual goal of the mission wasn't to really do any science, it was to establish contact with the Engineers and somehow adapt their technology to keep Weilend alive. They didn't need the top geologists or biologists for that, they had David. Why waste money, just hire some idiots with ok credentials who will probably jump at a chance to work for a giant corporation. They just hired Fifield and Milburn to make it look like it was an actual scientific survey. No one who really knew what was going on gave a poo poo about those two or what they could contribute.

Then why bring anyone? If you are being fair you have to make it clear that they hired the straight out most loving retarded PEOPLE in history. The guy has a loving 3d map on his arm and can't figure how to get out of some tunnels after brilliantly running away from some thousand year old skeletons.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also the reason for the old man makeup was there was supposed to be a bunch of scenes between David and Weyland while Weyland was in suspended animation. David would be communicating with him via the dream visor he used on Elizabeth. In these scenes Weland would have envisioned himself not as the old, decrepit man he was but as the youthful scientist he used to be. Young Weland was played by Guy Pierce (you can see him in some of the pre release TED talks), Scott wanted both versions of Weyland to be played by the same actor. These scenes were scrapped when it was decided they wanted to keep Weylands presence on board a secret for as long as possible. I'm not excusing it, it was a fairly mediocre old man suit, but there was a reason behind it.

Christ it just keeps reminding me how poorly planned that movie was in so many ways. The big 'twist' of him being on board the whole time was ridiculous.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Christ it just keeps reminding me how poorly planned that movie was in so many ways. The big 'twist' of him being on board the whole time was ridiculous.

I thought this worked for the movie's cynicism towards prosperity gospel and to an extend Christianity in general. In terms of how capitalism works they're literally given a mission from god in the beginning of the movie via his postmortem hologram speech, where he specifically calls out how his creation, David, isn't good enough, is inherently not good enough, can never be good enough, gotta keep working to keep me immortal, etc. Then 2/3 in he's just a greedy, stubborn old white dude who wants to control everything forever instead of turning the reigns over to his daughter who. His daughter who, like David, is seen as a creation of his that isn't good enough because she's not him.

The dramatic musical swell when she calls him father and the old man makeup were both atrocious though, easily the weakest parts of the movie as the arrogance with which the younger main characters' quests for their own concept of godhood (Vickers wanting to run the corporation, Shaw wanting to know everything about creation, etc.) play out were the linchpin of what makes the movie effective. I do think this was intentional as well, didn't Scott say straight out in one of the promotional interviews that he thinks organized religion is the biggest problem on earth or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Crappy Jack posted:

In the exact same way that Dallas was the hero of Alien. That was intentional, you're set up to root for the character most like Ripley to be the hero, just the same as you're set up to root for the big name celebrity captain.

Wouldn't that be Idris Elba though?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I will admit that the hint of the medical pod only being calibrated for men was a nice hint, not just at his appearance, but at how much of an almighty dick he was.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Neo Rasa posted:

The dramatic musical swell when she calls him father and the old man makeup were both atrocious though...

They should have kept in the extended dialogue between Vickers and old man Weyland, it builds up to the whole "Father!" line so it's delivery is not awkward and random like it is in the final cut.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just wanted to say that the Labyrinth comic was the first Aliens comic I ever read, and it's still my favorite. The artwork rules, and it is immensely hosed-up. Its a great balance between the action of Aliens and the body-horror of Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same here. I bought it at the store because the cover was cool when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I read it every day and loved it. I would constantly draw from the images because man, they NAILED the Giger Alien.

Re-reading it much later, I was genuinely bothered by Church's backstory. It has everything you want in an Alien piece. Action, Marines, body horror, good characters, and it even goes into the Alien just enough to where the creature is not de mystified. Labyrinth is the best Aliens comic out there.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I thought Weyland's old man makeup was laughably bad.

I could not stop thinking about Johnny Knoxville and how in Jackass he had better old man makeup than a movie with a 120 million dollar budget. Also for Old Man Weyland why not just bring in Henrickson? The bastard will be in loving -anything- these days so long as he gets 50 bucks and a bottle of Jack. I mean he's already played some relative/descendant of the guy a few times now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It may have to do with the lighting/types of cameras used, still it looks poor.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Same here. I bought it at the store because the cover was cool when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I read it every day and loved it. I would constantly draw from the images because man, they NAILED the Giger Alien.

Re-reading it much later, I was genuinely bothered by Church's backstory. It has everything you want in an Alien piece. Action, Marines, body horror, good characters, and it even goes into the Alien just enough to where the creature is not de mystified. Labyrinth is the best Aliens comic out there.
Incidentally I'm selling my copy (since I recently got the Omnibus collections, which take up a lot less space).

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tracula posted:

Also for Old Man Weyland why not just bring in Henrickson? The bastard will be in loving -anything- these days so long as he gets 50 bucks and a bottle of Jack. I mean he's already played some relative/descendant of the guy a few times now.

They were supposed to have a scene showing a young Weyland from decades earlier, but it was cut. I believe it was Scott who wanted a younger man in the early scenes and then that same person with old man makeup in the later scenes rather than two different actors or CGI or whatever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Xenomrph posted:

Just wanted to say that the Labyrinth comic was the first Aliens comic I ever read, and it's still my favorite. The artwork rules, and it is immensely hosed-up. Its a great balance between the action of Aliens and the body-horror of Alien.

Some of the elements weren't explained, which I'd really like to read up on sometime, like the maggot goop they're force feeding people, where'd that come from? Also, is the "people being turned into wall-goop"-thing based on the cut scenes from the original Alien film?

That comic sure has something with goop in general. And I probably shouldn't have read Labyrinth first, as Steve Perry's trilogy came off as pretty lame in comparison. The Female War was especially bad, dull even!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 22, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

Some of the elements weren't explained, which I'd really like to read up on sometime, like the maggot goop they're force feeding people, where'd that come from? Also, is the "people being turned into wall-goop"-thing based on the cut scenes from the original Alien film?

That comic sure has something with goop in general. And I probably shouldn't have read Labyrinth first, as Steve Perry's trilogy came off as pretty lame in comparison. The Female War was especially bad, dull even!
Nope, that stuff is never referenced or explained in anything else, which I think is partly for the best. A big part of what made 'Alien' scary was that the Alien was weird and hosed up and did a lot of disturbing poo poo we didn't understand, and it was that fear of the unknown/unknowable that made it extra scary.
Labyrinth understood that, so it introduced a bunch of crazy poo poo and didn't bother explaining it beyond "it's hosed up".

So it was basically Prometheus' "black goo" a decade and a half before Prometheus existed. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you attributed the original Alien to Damien Lindelof nerds would immediately start bashing it because, like, the xenomorph life cycle is totally unrealistic and they don't even tell you where the eggs come from in the first place. What a hack :rolleyes:

Nah every complaint about issues of underexplanation is not nerdy nit-picking. Especially when the dude is working on a film that deals with stuff already established (the black goo makes zero sense within the film or in the context of even just Alien).

• Locked thread