Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
drat this thread is making me wish I still had my TRS-80. So that I could play games like B-1 Nuclear Bomber, Raäka-Tū, Shuttle Simulator and Star Trek III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Super Star Trek is the only real Trek game. I am jealous my dad had the experience of playing it on a HP 2000. No monitor, just wasting poo poo tons of paper :allears:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Aratoeldar posted:

drat this thread is making me wish I still had my TRS-80. So that I could play games like B-1 Nuclear Bomber, Raäka-Tū, Shuttle Simulator and Star Trek III.

That last one is a CoCo game. The TRS 80 and the Color Computer series are entirely different architectures. I have a ton of CoCo games but no CoCo 3 to play them on.

It seems like half those games you listed are as such. While Tandy called the CoCo the TRS 80 Color Computer it had gently caress all to do with the Trash 80 series.

Also those Trek games were some of my first computer games. Except mine were the Keypunch Software ones on a C64.

The one I liked the most was the middle one, this one: http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=7341&d=18 It had graphics and an interface on screen. The first Trek game on there was colored ASCII, and the last was full screen graphics but no interface.

(These days I have Padd Trek on iOS. Its pretty!)

This is the pretty one on the disk: http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=7338&d=18

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=10627&d=18 And this was the original one.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zeether posted:

Last Battalion has a great "bug" where letting the bonus score timer that comes up during boss fights hit zero suddenly makes it tick down from 9 million points so when you beat the first boss you get a ton of 1-Ups. You can max out the score by the end of stage 2 this way.

Also drat, Genocide 2 looks cool and I never thought to check out Zoom's other titles.

Man I can't get this to work no matter what. Do you have to let it sit at zero for a certain amount of time? All this is doing is making my scores really bad :haw:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, there's another X68k auction that's about to close and it's has close to 900 page views. I dunno if I still want to take a crack at it or not. There might be another d0s lurking out there. :ohdear:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Well, there's another X68k auction that's about to close and it's has close to 900 page views. I dunno if I still want to take a crack at it or not. There might be another d0s lurking out there. :ohdear:

Do ittt :retrogames:

EDIT: drat I wish mine had that much ram. You can def use Deadite's "baller" version of eidis: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4923.0

(I use this too but some things don't run due to lack of ram, he uses a very inefficient method of loading the games. For stuff like that I just write em to floppy.)

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 9, 2014

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

d0s posted:

Do ittt :retrogames:

EDIT: drat I wish mine had that much ram. You can def use Deadite's "baller" version of eidis: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4923.0

(I use this too but some things don't run due to lack of ram, he uses a very inefficient method of loading the games. For stuff like that I just write em to floppy.)

Welp, I woke up this morning and it's already hovering right at my squeal-point price wise and there's six hours left to go. The real fight hasn't even started yet! Sorry d0s, I will not be seeing you in the promise land. :tipshat:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

d0s posted:

Man I can't get this to work no matter what. Do you have to let it sit at zero for a certain amount of time? All this is doing is making my scores really bad :haw:

The shmups forum has a whole thread on it: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=28911

The PC Engine port is also broken according to one of the users.

Edit: I made a video of it, this was done on XM6 (which is a pretty good X68000 emulator) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhNTHx1648 If it's not working then I guess maybe you have some rare bugfixed version?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 9, 2014

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Captain Rufus posted:

That last one is a CoCo game. The TRS 80 and the Color Computer series are entirely different architectures. I have a ton of CoCo games but no CoCo 3 to play them on.

It seems like half those games you listed are as such. While Tandy called the CoCo the TRS 80 Color Computer it had gently caress all to do with the Trash 80 series.

Also those Trek games were some of my first computer games. Except mine were the Keypunch Software ones on a C64.

The one I liked the most was the middle one, this one: http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=7341&d=18 It had graphics and an interface on screen. The first Trek game on there was colored ASCII, and the last was full screen graphics but no interface.

(These days I have Padd Trek on iOS. Its pretty!)

This is the pretty one on the disk: http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=7338&d=18

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=10627&d=18 And this was the original one.

I realize this but it was as close as I could get to the Star Trek game I remember playing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zeether posted:

The shmups forum has a whole thread on it: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=28911

The PC Engine port is also broken according to one of the users.

Edit: I made a video of it, this was done on XM6 (which is a pretty good X68000 emulator) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhNTHx1648 If it's not working then I guess maybe you have some rare bugfixed version?

Holy poo poo that seriously doesn't happen to me on real hardware. I'm using the one included on the eidis disk image, it probably comes either the TOSEC ROM or some guys copy of the game. I'm gonna try in in an emulator in a bit to see if that's what the problem is.

Also holy poo poo http://www.ebay.com/itm/350981265485

Over $1,600 USD god drat. If one of you bought that take some of that pressure off and sell me your keyboard :D

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
^^ poo poo guys, old computer collecting is getting noticed everywhere now: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303618904579167683061946954?KEYWORDS=pc+in+the+attic

They even show an Atari 400.

So my front page thing about old computer gaming being generally cheaper than console?

This... might not last for very much longer as the "whales" move on from the consoles they have already ruined with their buy at any cost and never loving PLAY THEM ways moving into the computer space.

As it is being an Ulima/Origin Systems fan is depressing enough with how much a lot of these games go for.

Ultima 2 was a pretty dire game. A week ago the box and cloth map ALONE sold for over a 100 bucks. I have seen the manual listed for 60-90. I consider it a goddamned lucky thing of luckiness I got a command card, manual, and game disks for 25.

Don't even get started with Infocom games! We already have collectors for both Origin and Infocom who not only want every game boxed, but every goddamned motherfucking PLATFORM VERSION it had.

These people have more money than sense.

Don't play the game.

Don't be like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZK-_6UZQY8

If we refuse to pay 100-400 for games like Bounty Bob Strikes Back and Pastfinder on the Atari 8 bits they will eventually have to lower prices, especially if the whales don't stick around for long.

Or not and we can just all be hosed. :smith:

I guess I am just a weirdo who collects what I love and want to play, and the few "complete" things I want in a theme I generally buy cheap or pass on.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 11, 2014

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if I'd worry too much about it. Most "old computers" that people might have in their attics and basements are far more likely to be old-rear end (and maybe not even that old!) IBM PCs than they are to be character pieces like the old 8-bit micros, Atari STs, or Commodore Amigas, and still far more likely to be those than obscure-yet-valuable relics.

Then, too, getting into the retro computing game is a hell of a different kettle of fish than the retro console game is. For retro consoles, the hardware can very much be an afterthought, cost-wise; it's the games that are very often the more valuable aspect of it all (look at the cost of an SNES, compared to a cartridge for a game like "Earthbound"). Everyone and their mom sells SNES and Genesis carts, new hardware is available for those platforms (putting aside the snafus), there's an active promotion of it all through geek and (to a lesser extent) hipster culture...all a perfect storm for a bunch of Johnny and Jeannie-come-latelies to drive up the price in.

Retro computers, on the other hand...well, the hardware seems to be the thing that has value, above all. And it's not something that a novice (even one with excess money and a raging nerd-boner) is going to just get to jump into. After all, a complete C64 has a 1571, a tape drive, a period-compatible monitor, and so on and so forth. How much does that all cost? How much space does it take up? How much of a pain is it to put together, configure, and make sure it works?

Essentially, only hardcore geeks really get feelings about old PCs; there's no mass nostalgia driving the market. Barring a spontaneous, mass cascade of hardware failures drastically reducing the supply, how much more value can be squeezed out of it? Newspapers have done stories about this exact thing off-and-on over the last 20 years, but it's like ham radio or something; you can't get people excited about something they've never really known.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MSX is cool

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...uthorName=trukk

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hey retrocomputer goons, thought I'd share a really interesting game I dug up going through my old software archives.

If you grew up in the 1980s, you probably had a bunch of Apple IIs in your school's computer lab, since they pretty much dominated the educational market in the 1980s (and even into the early 90s!) As a result a bunch of educational games got made for it, the most famous of course being Oregon Trail, with Number Munchers and Odell Lake being runners-up. And there were the Microzines as well. Well, this game, which came out in 1985, is one such educational game but is less well-known.

Wilderness is a survival sim, possibly the first ever. It's remarkably detailed and complicated for a game that came out in 1985, and it's actually astonishing that it could run with a mere 48k of RAM considering what it did. In addition to the Apple II version, there's a DOS version, but I've never seen it.

The idea behind Wilderness is as follows--you crash land in a plane in the middle of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, and have to find your way to a ranger station somewhere in the 6000+ square mile game area. There's also a second scenario where you start at the ranger station and have to find the Lost City of Gold somewhere in the wilderness. (I never did) There were also apparently expansion disks made for different areas like the Amazon (I think) but I never played them.

One of the really cool things about Wilderness is its extremely extensive manual. The manual not only went over the commands and techniques needed to win the game, but also included diagrams of real-life survival techniques.

Now, for the game itself--it's mostly a sim in the vein of old-school text adventures, with commands typed to move around the game. DROP FOOD, PITCH TENT, LOOK UP, that sort of thing.

There are actually several options for the game--this is the "first journey" option, which puts you in an ideal situation for starting the game--you start out in excellent health, with decent weather/climate, and tons of equipment easily available. The custom game allows you to enter your own physical characteristics (height, weight, body size, pulse rate, etc) but isn't always as advantageous--you might start out injured from the crash, or in a worst-case scenario, with a broken arm or leg. Also you might be missing critical pieces of equipment, like a compass or altimeter.

This is the "default" map of the game--it can be zoomed in and you can move a pointer around to find the elevation at any given spot of the map. However you're not limited to this map--with a spare blank floppy, you could randomly generate an entirely new set of terrain, which made for some interesting scenarios.

Your Status screen. All of these are important, but aren't necessarily available--if you have no altimeter you're not seeing what your altitude, and without a thermometer you won't know the temperature, for example. There are any number of injuries and illnesses you can sustain--broken limbs, cuts, snowblindness, giardia, hypothermia, fevers, etc. In addition to finding and reaching the ranger station/lost city you have to balance your health, which can be tricky at times.

The "View" screen. This is actually quite an accomplishment for a game that was made in 1985--the terrain here is dynamically generated depending on where you are in the map, and you can make a panoramic scroll 360 degrees to see where you are, look up at the stars at night for guidance, etc. Granted, on an early-80s 1mhz computer with 48k of memory, it was really slow generating and loading this in, but was still really impressive for the time. (Note: this screen doesn't look quite right since it's in an emulator--on an actual Apple color monitor it looks more like the screenshots on the back of the box--for example the rivers in this shot would look a lot more prominent on a real monitor)

The "Inventory" screen. This is for the beginning scenario at the plane and is fairly generous. (There's an additional screen and a half or so of more stuff) All of this stuff is useful, but you can't carry it all so have to pick and choose what you take. There are lots of different types of food--bologna, nuts, candy bars, tuna, that sort of thing, and each has its own nutritional value and spoilage information. Tuna will last forever for example until you open it--then you'd better eat it quickly or it will spoil. Even in the default scenario, there isn't really enough food to last you all the way to the ranger station, so you'll have to forage for it or if you're lucky, kill some wildlife and eat it. I usually ended up eating lots of insects. Water is even more valuable, but needs to be boiled/decontaminated or you'll possibly get giardia.

Even the beginning scenario is pretty hard, to say nothing of attempting to win with a 5'6" 280-pound neckbeard with a broken ankle. Winning requires being able to figure out exactly where you are on the map using a combination of your tools and the panoramic view, and charting a course to the station while picking the right combination of equipment, as even in an ideal situation it'll take an in-game week or so to get there.

Overall it's a really good game, though it has a very steep learning curve. It's pretty impressive overall for a the time it came out.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Holy poo poo that's great. I'm one of the dudes who grew up with Apple IIs in school, so I do have a soft spot for them (mostly for Print Shop weirdly, I loved making stuff). I do have an Apple IIe system I've put together from thrift shops and stuff, but haven't really messed with it in years. The other day I took it down and tried to use it, the machine powered up/beeped and the disk drives made the "booting up" noise, but the screen stayed blank.

Is there a particular cable that needed to be used, or should anything that fits the RCA/RF ports work? I totally forgot everything I knew about these systems.

EDIT: I'm using an Apple monitor made for the system, not a TV or anything.

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 15, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Check out what I've been working on

It's an Amiga 1200 set I've had for a very long time (originally found in box at a Salvation Army with all disks), I installed a hard drive in it at one point but there was no actual mounting bracket so I covered the circuitry with paper and duct taped it to the shield :v: (I was like 15 okay). I can't remember doing much with this besides playing the included games (Whizz and a pinball game) and some stuff from Amiga Format demo disks. They used to sell that magazine here, which was weird as hell because I am the only person I have ever known in this country with an Amiga.

I'm debating either selling it or getting something like this and finding out what the big deal is about this system.

EDIT: I also have a '030 accelerator for this thing which causes the machine to boot to a black screen, I think because it's standard power supply isn't strong enough.

Also, a question for the Amiga people: Will this play all A500 games/games for older Amigas?

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 15, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Not all of them, compatibility is hit or miss. I'd suggest googling to see if a specific game works or not. It's totally worth it because Amigas are rad as hell and the music on the system is really cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1K-Y4hF00

Also go find some archives of old Amiga mags. Some really entertaining stuff.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
My A600 needed a "degrader" disk (which copied the A500 ROM into RAM and rebooted to use that) for some old games. I assume the A1200 with it's faster processor and AGA has it worse, but (like that ebay auction mentioned) there's a thing called WHDLoad that lets you do patched up HD installs of a lot of games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prenton posted:

My A600 needed a "degrader" disk (which copied the A500 ROM into RAM and rebooted to use that) for some old games. I assume the A1200 with it's faster processor and AGA has it worse, but (like that ebay auction mentioned) there's a thing called WHDLoad that lets you do patched up HD installs of a lot of games.

Yup, I'm using something called ReloKick to boot some games and WHDL for others, it's really hit or miss since I'm using a bone stock A1200, and I don't have an RGB cable for my 1084 monitor so I'm going through composite so lots of things don't even sync video (I've ordered the cable).

The games that have really impressed me so far are Turrican 3 (can't get 2 to work and 1 is pretty but jumping with up :cmon:) and the Lotus games.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Jaguar XJ220. Dear Europeans I love your old racing games :swoon:

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 15, 2014

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

d0s posted:

Check out what I've been working on

It's an Amiga 1200 set I've had for a very long time (originally found in box at a Salvation Army with all disks), I installed a hard drive in it at one point but there was no actual mounting bracket so I covered the circuitry with paper and duct taped it to the shield :v: (I was like 15 okay). I can't remember doing much with this besides playing the included games (Whizz and a pinball game) and some stuff from Amiga Format demo disks. They used to sell that magazine here, which was weird as hell because I am the only person I have ever known in this country with an Amiga.

I'm debating either selling it or getting something like this and finding out what the big deal is about this system.

EDIT: I also have a '030 accelerator for this thing which causes the machine to boot to a black screen, I think because it's standard power supply isn't strong enough.

Also, a question for the Amiga people: Will this play all A500 games/games for older Amigas?

I'll have to find and scan an Amiga magazine I have tonight if this snow keeps me at home. It has a 1200 mini guide with it that lists a metric assload of games that do or do not work with the 1200/4000.

(Edit. Found the booklet. I now need to scan it if the snow keeps up this rate after my S.S.S. Regimen that all good people should do every day. It's like 48 pages but I should be able to easily get 2 pages into 1 image given how wee this booklet is.)

If you are a UK/PAL sort an Amiga is essential. Some amazing games and the best versions of a ton of titles. From like 87-91 the Amiga was the computer games platform. Some of its greatest games came after this but as a generalist gamer this is the sweet spot.

While sometimes you can get away with the most beloved Amiga games being constantly updated by nutters: http://www.sensiblesoccer.de/ in general this doesn't happen.

(And most of the Amiga hardcore don't consider the PC versions of their favorites to be nearly as good. Though I say one should still buy legit copies either from Ebay, Gog, Steam, or Dot Emu if possible.)

Though without a doubt I am not a goal scoring superstar hero.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 16, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

I'll have to find and scan an Amiga magazine I have tonight if this snow keeps me at home. It has a 1200 mini guide with it that lists a metric assload of games that do or do not work with the 1200/4000.

(Edit. Found the booklet. I now need to scan it if the snow keeps up this rate after my S.S.S. Regimen that all good people should do every day. It's like 48 pages but I should be able to easily get 2 pages into 1 image given how wee this booklet is.)

Please scan this, I'm having a miserable time getting stuff working on my 1200. For every game that runs there are 10 that crash horribly in ways that make me think there's actually something wrong with my system until I load up an AGA game like Super Stardust or Whizz and everything's perfect, or the odd game that works with no headaches like XJ220.

I know WHDLoad would fix this but 90% of what I try to run on there wants more RAM as that loads the disks into memory or something and I have no working expansion so I'm stuck writing .adf files to disk and trying them that way.

If I had actually bought a 1200 back in the day I would have been really pissed, it seems most of the good games are for the 500, and only really work well on that system (unless you have a super expanded 1200 that's able to basically emulate a 500).

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Ok gang. I slaved over a hot Logitech G710+ keyboard an a HP copier/scanner/printer to bring you this bit of nostalgia that will in fact be of some utility to any Amiga 1200 fans out there.

Retro Computing: Why Bother? Amiga 1200 Booklet Special!

On this snowy day keeping me from work I have little to do but goof off as my wont.

But instead of being a slacker, I shall do the Internet a favor and scan and comment on a pack in booklet I somehow still had from a 1992 Amiga magazine from the UK. (A place that actually cared about the best computer for price AND performance of the mid 80s to early 90s.)

So here it is with commentary. Hopefully this booklet being so old I am not breaking any actual copyright laws. Its a 22 year old supplement to an Amiga magazine. Somehow I doubt it. I also do not know if anyone else has scanned this booklet but.. I think it has merit to archive.

The 1200 would have been the ultimate home computer. If it came out in 1990. In 92 it was really too late. 486 PCs with VGA/SVGA basically owned the market at this time. Commodore's nearly nonexistent marketing outside of Europe didn't help matters either.

400 Pounds in 1992 was what? 600 or so US dollars? drat that is about what my Amiga 500 cost like that less than six months from when this was printed! Course in the US we didn't even know about the 1200! And I was a computer geek and didn't know about it. The regular public? HAHA. No.

For funsies I did a little research. 400 Pounds in November 1992 was 610 .72 in US Dollars. (The Pound to Dollar conversion was VERY low that month. It was usually closer to 1.8 Dollars to the Pound but was 1.5 or so in November. So 5 months earlier if this machine had somehow been imported to the US it would have cost you about 750 US and be worth closer to 1300 in today's money.) If we adjust for inflation, 1014.05 Dollars. Ouchie! (For comparison in a year or so my VERY bare bones Tandy 486 PC would cost 1500 dollars at the time, and not have joystick or sound interfaces. But would come with a 2400 baud modem, 2 button mouse, monitor, a couple games and programs, plus 2 megabytes of RAM.)

Basically AGA chipset gave Amigas SVGA level graphics if you had a really good monitor. If you hooked it up to a TV set not so much. And from the 68000 CPU to a 680020 with options to put in math co processors almost nobody ever did. Especially home users. Businesses might really need more number crunch power. Joe Homebody does NOT.

2 Megabytes standard was pretty solid in 1992. PCMCIA is great for modern users as it allows for flash drives and the like. Low density 3.5 is basically a damned JOKE in November 92 though. Laughing at the Hard Disk prices though it does own for modern users.

IDE hard disks? Again, fantastic for us modern folks.

If you had an HD Workbench 3 looks like it would demolish the Windows 3.1 standard of the day.

Argh. Scan got borked. Unless there is demand it is viewable enough here for what it is.

Yay basic files management info? This might help someone out there I suppose...

Let us continue to laugh at the HDisk prices. LAUGH I TELL YOU.

GVP made lots of bits and bobs to make Amigas better. The 1200 and 600 were finally home user machines where it wasn't completely ridiculous to crack open the case and do it. (600 basically being a smaller Amiga 500 without the numeric keypad and that whole PCMCIA and IDE business capable. And a built in RF modulator. Something the 500 was not.)

Not sure early 90s flight sims on an Amiga are worth caring much for. Battle Isle running faster sounds nice though. Not sure anyone ever cared about Zool besides the UK though.

I think I have the PC Ishar trilogy thanks to Dotemu and some great sales.

Again, Civ 1 but prettier isn't much to care about nowadays. Civ 2 is the only Civ one needs. Deluxe Paint 4 sounds nice but nowadays we have stuff like Photoshop x.x and GIMP and the like. But I suppose if you want to draw in the age of KLAX it might be a thing.

More programs free software today like Libre Office outdo on modern PCs.

I had a DOS Vista Pro program. Its kind of neat but more of a visual toy. I should see if they have more modern ones and how much..

More programs nobody nowadays really needs most likely. But I am showing it all for historical importance and retrospectiveness.

Agony, Alien Breed, Apidya, Birds of Prey, Black Crypt, Budokan, Chaos Strikes Back, Dungeon Master, Elvira, Eye of the Beholder, F19 Stealth Fighter, IK+? All games I respect.

Leander, Myth, Monkey Island 2, Parasol Stars, Pinball Fantasies, Populous 2, Prince of Persia, R Type, Rainbow Islands, Railroad Tycoon, Road Blasters, Sensible Soccer, Shadow of the Beast 3, Windwalker, Wing Commander, Turrican? Some solid games that work on this machine. (Some I love on other platforms so they may or may not be as good here. Other games I may want to have played but have not yet.)

Jaguar XJ220 was pretty rad in the day. And Lemmings is always good fun. But what have we lost? Airborne Ranger, Bubble Bobble, California Games, Chase HQ, Double Dragon 2, Heimdall, Hero Quest, Last Ninja 2, Lotus 1-2, New Zealand Story, Ninja Warriors, Outrun Europa, Populous, SCI, Shinobi, Space Crusade, Street Fighter 2, Strider. (Again some may own rear end on other platforms but suck on the Amigas anyhow.) A pretty sad state IMHO.

Super Off Road? Super Space Invaders? Zak McCraken? SAY IT AINT SO. I am not sure most of those AGA releases ever came out...

The future was: Commodore was effectively out of business within 2 years of this publication. So anyone buying this machine a year after release (November 1993 basically had a machine about to die that couldn't even run all of the older software.) effectively bought a dead machine without a future.

Let's not grieve over Commodore. Much like the contestants in Slaughterama they chose their path in life. And death.

The UK and Europe could not save the Amiga alone. The USA mattered. And the USA chose the PC.

So we may grieve for this machine. For the Amiga platform. What might have been. What should have been. What deserved to be.

(Forums version note: If the pictures aren't readable enough clicking on the tiny images feel free to go to my blog where you can click them in all their maximum sized glory: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2014/02/retro-computing-why-bother-amiga-1200.html )

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 16, 2014

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
drat it, all this Amiga talk is making me wish I had the $2000 to shell out on getting my broken Cyberstorm PPC replaced so that I could get my A4000T back up and running. I learned an expensive lesson about leaving computer parts laying about with a cat roaming around on the day that it got broken.:cry:

By the way, there's an Eye of the Beholder 1&2 AGA hack using the VGA PC assets with an automap feature that is floating around out there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

d0s posted:

Please scan this, I'm having a miserable time getting stuff working on my 1200. For every game that runs there are 10 that crash horribly in ways that make me think there's actually something wrong with my system until I load up an AGA game like Super Stardust or Whizz and everything's perfect, or the odd game that works with no headaches like XJ220.

I know WHDLoad would fix this but 90% of what I try to run on there wants more RAM as that loads the disks into memory or something and I have no working expansion so I'm stuck writing .adf files to disk and trying them that way.

If I had actually bought a 1200 back in the day I would have been really pissed, it seems most of the good games are for the 500, and only really work well on that system (unless you have a super expanded 1200 that's able to basically emulate a 500).

I had an A1200 and I can count the number of games that wouldn't run on it on one finger. There were sometimes issues with pirated games not working, though.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

Jedit posted:

I had an A1200 and I can count the number of games that wouldn't run on it on one finger. There were sometimes issues with pirated games not working, though.

What he said. Yes there were compatibility issues with the 1200 but it was rare and I can't remember ever encountering them back in the day. Also go and get Lotus Turbo Challenge 2; if you like arcade racers then it's pretty much the high-point of the 16bit generation. It has some of, if not the, best music ever produced by a home computer.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I FOUND THE STUFF I WAS GOING TO POST LAST WEEK

d0s posted:

This is what I wonder whenever I come across the guys who collect video games as if they were stamps or something, I never understood buying games you're not gonna play and probably wouldn't like if you did, and filling your house with that poo poo. If you honestly like games you've probably developed a specific taste and you should stick to that so you don't turn into a sad hoarder who lives an a flea market.
This really is a good thing to keep in mind. I mean, there ARE retro computer games and accessories that are legitimately valuable and might be worth collecting if you get an arbitrarily good price on them, but these are not usually the things people have trouble hoarding. I mean, I looked at the two enormous tubs of Nintendo and Sega Master System stuff I had in my parents' basement a couple of years ago and made the executive decision that since 98% of my retro gaming nostalgia was tied up in Atari 8-Bit and MS-DOS games that I would just sell them all, and I still feel good about that, haha. Now, as to the fact that I own things I will obviously never play just to have them in boxes, like the Ancient Art of War, well, yes. There is that.

Someday someone is going to make a USB 5.25" drive and I am going to go berserk trying to find out what is on these hundreds of floppies I have not been able to access since my friends broke my last working 5.25" drive in 1998 trying to turn my BBS computer into a Linux box.

d0s posted:

I just make sure to judge old games the same way I would judge brand new ones: "does this look like something good?". I don't want to buy something for irony or kitsch, or rarely even for nostalgia. I can laugh at Bebe's Kids or the diabetes game in an emulator, I don't need them on my shelf reminding me that I spent actual money on them. If I find myself thinking "well, this was probably cool for the time" I usually put it back, something truly good is kinda timeless, nobody sits around complaining about SMB or Castlevania's graphics because those games are still fun.
True, though part of why nobody complains about Super Mario Brothers' or Castlevania's graphics is because there is some kind of general cultural consensus that good Nintendo-era games are unassailable. I always wondered about this perspective, particularly when it meant people refusing to admit that Mario 64 looked kind of lovely even when it came out, albeit much less lovely than most 3D games of the time.

OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT CROSSBOWS & CATAPULTS SET. I am glad there are still people in this world who do not know to give something a cursory Google search if it is in good shape and more than 20 years old, haha. Sorry, I do not even remember who it was that bought the Crossbows & Catapults set now that I am finally posting this response.

=-=-=-=

NEW: Captain Rufus' revisionist history has gone on long enough. It is time someone took a stand.

Civilization II was an abomination. There, I said it. (I am sure it was fine and dandy, but the one time I ever played it I legitimately would move my piece to the wrong square like 1 time in 3 due to the incredibly primitive isometric perspective, so I seem to recall throwing the disc back in the box and never touching it again)

I am now wondering just how much better-looking Civilization was on the Amiga, too. OK, I have investigated. I do not remember how the MS-DOS version looked well enough to figure out whether that is better or just the same with better resolution or something. I do miss top-down Civilizationing, though. CivNet was my favorite version of Civilization, sadly/weirdly enough.

Also, Captain Rufus, you mentioned some convention in an earlier post, and I imagine you are the guy who knows this sort of thing: are there retro computing events commonly in The New England? I am about to move from Seattle to Vermont so this sort of thing will be relevant to my interests soon.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Civilization was always garbage. Those of us with good taste played better games like Spaceward Ho! and computer vesions of Koei games

(e: Don't call it The New England)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've always liked the Amiga. Such a pretty gaming machine for its time. I have one Amiga game I got from a goodwill not too long ago for $2.50 complete. Unfortunately my luck with Amiga emulation have been... less than stellar.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Amiga emulation is pretty simple, what are you having trouble with?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jedit posted:

This is the problem then, (although I think when even archive.org is hosting the TOSEC set we call it "abandonware") I think it's a combination of an NTSC machine and the fact that legit Amiga software is very hard to find/expensive in the US. I'm burning .adfs to CD and writing them to floppy on the 1200 and trying them that way. Just about every one has had some kind of trainer or cracktro.

al-azad posted:

Amiga emulation is pretty simple, what are you having trouble with?

Not emulating, Getting A500 games working on a real stock A1200 (can't use WHDLoad for most things because not enough memory)

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
What's the issue with cracked games not running on real machines?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

What's the issue with cracked games not running on real machines?

The crackers probably concentrated on A500 compatibility, combined with the original developers who concentrated on A500 compatibility. It's just another layer of stuff that can go wrong. Add my having an NTSC system to that and it's no surprise the majority of stuff doesn't work. The ideal situation for me would be a PAL A500 with a bunch of legit games, I have the opposite of that.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I mean you couldn't throw more RAM at it and then use software workarounds?

That said I don't remember if the A1200 is one of the ones where you gotta get that expansion card before you can even add more RAM though

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

I mean you couldn't throw more RAM at it and then use software workarounds?

That said I don't remember if the A1200 is one of the ones where you gotta get that expansion card before you can even add more RAM though

It is, and search "Amiga 1200 expansion" on eBay to have a laugh. That poo poo is expensive. Would rather just have a PAL 500 which are dirt cheap in comparison. I'll keep my 1200 to play the AGA games and do the writing of floppies, since I don't think there's a way to get a CD-ROM working with a 500.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I had WHDLoad working on my stock 2MB A600, but a lot of the games needed you to turn on the "NOCACHE" option. It's slow, but runs as it doesn't chew up memory.

ED: Checking, it was "PRELOAD" (which needed to be off) rather than NOCACHE, which is something else

Prenton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 17, 2014

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
Also, you can acquire uncracked, pristine, floppy images with a google search for Amiga ipf. You'll probably have to convert to adf for writing them out, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Also, you can acquire uncracked, pristine, floppy images with a google search for Amiga ipf. You'll probably have to convert to adf for writing them out, though.

Isn't the whole point of having cracked ones so they'll run without having the original disks though? If I write pristine images surely whatever copy protection there is will notice?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

d0s posted:

Isn't the whole point of having cracked ones so they'll run without having the original disks though? If I write pristine images surely whatever copy protection there is will notice?

Depends on what copier you're using. If you are, in fact, capable of doing a 1:1 copy it should run fine. Most really old-school copy protection revolved around putting the start/end of disk tracks in funny locations that normal copiers couldn't handle, and doing weird things with loaders, since old-school computers usually had drives running off software on the floppy rather than hardware/firmware routines. Can't remember if the Amiga was one of those though. Anyhow, a full 1:1 copy will contain whatever copy protection came with it intact, so it in theory should work fine.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
There's always the Kryoflux for writing them out if all else fails. Though by that point you may as well pick up an a500 psu and get that 030 running for some whdload action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

So I've got everything working on my bone-stock A1200, thanks to ClassicWB and a tip I read somewhere to set my HDD's max transfer rate to 0x1FE00.

ClassicWB gives you a nice WHDLoad games launcher that you can run before starting the OS by holding the right mouse button, freeing up tons of RAM and getting rid of the out of memory errors (for most A500 games anyway, some newer games are simply too large but that is to be expected).

The max transfer thing is what really helped though. Apparently all my transfers from CD to hard disk were being messed up due to this and I was trying to run corrupted data, resulting in horrible crashes that were making me think I had a serious hardware problem. Not so! If you're just getting into Amiga stuff please remember this magic hex value: 0X1FE00.

Lotus 2 is loving awesome

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 17, 2014