Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm in kind of a weird situation where I had to replace my motherboard and couldn't find my windows 7 key so installed windows and didn't authenticate it and started looking around for my key. Turns out it's an OEM key and won't work anymore so I ordered a copy of windows 8.1 which I now have. Will it let me upgrade a non-authenticated win7 to win8.1 if I have the key? This gets more complicated because I don't have an optical drive so I'd be installing from a USB HDD :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Before you get ahead of yourself: Does your Windows 8.1 disc / license document / etc. say upgrade, or is it just that promo page?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

goodness posted:

Anyone know how to use Virtual Audio Cable?

I am trying to figure out how to play Skype over my headphones, and music through my speakers. I have the speaker audio cable plugged in the green socket on back, and the headphones plugged up front.
That is all I have so far, I am completely lost.
VAC exists to facilitate recording the sound output from one program into another program. It doesn't help with your problem, even if the front output (headphones) and the back output (speakers) were seen as separate devices by Windows (check playback devices when rightclicking the speaker icon in the system tray).

If Windows sees them as separate devices, you would still need one of these programs to be capable of setting its output device from its own configuration dialog, otherwise you simply can't setup VAC. As luck would have it Skype can do that and most music players can do it as well, but that just implies you can simply set those output devices directly and you don't need to cram VAC in between at all.

In the likely case Windows doesn't see these outputs as separate devices, you'll need, as was said, additional hardware. And then VAC still wouldn't be of any use to you.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Flipperwaldt posted:

VAC exists to facilitate recording the sound output from one program into another program. It doesn't help with your problem, even if the front output (headphones) and the back output (speakers) were seen as separate devices by Windows (check playback devices when rightclicking the speaker icon in the system tray).

If Windows sees them as separate devices, you would still need one of these programs to be capable of setting its output device from its own configuration dialog, otherwise you simply can't setup VAC. As luck would have it Skype can do that and most music players can do it as well, but that just implies you can simply set those output devices directly and you don't need to cram VAC in between at all.

In the likely case Windows doesn't see these outputs as separate devices, you'll need, as was said, additional hardware. And then VAC still wouldn't be of any use to you.

Hmm that makes sense. I just downloaded VAC since someone in an Irc told me it would help. I'll look into it more tomorrow and report back.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Maneki Neko posted:

Server 2012 R2 has issues with the NIC on that server (I have one at home), not sure if it's been fixed or not, but you won't be able to actually install R2 without disabling the onboard NIC and buying a replacement. Regular 2012 works fine though. The minimum drive requirements are much smaller in full blown Windows Server, my C: usage is around 12 gigs, so 64GB should be fine.

My box acts as a file server, plex media server, sabnzbd & sickbeard box and idles at around 1.7 gigs of memory used, so you probably want to throw more RAM in there.

Thanks, guess i'll have to get regular 2012 instead.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Before you get ahead of yourself: Does your Windows 8.1 disc / license document / etc. say upgrade, or is it just that promo page?

I got a full Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM, not the upgrade :)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Assuming it comes with its own key, you can wipe your system drive for all it cares. (Obviously don't do this until you've backed up everything you care about, and for safety's sake disconnected every other drive on the machine, internal or external.)

Has anyone actually seen a Windows 8.1 Upgrade (not OEM or "full edition") outside the Windows Store app?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have a windows 7 pro 64bit install from an "OEM" DVD I purchased. I'm upgrading to a new computer and wanted to try to transfer this windows install over.

I tried running sysprep as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

But kept getting fatal errors like this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...=w7itproinstall

The answer for that says you have to "re-create the image", and by that I assume they mean a complete reinstall?

If I just do a fresh install on the new computer, I won't be able to use my key right? From what I understand I will have to call up microsoft and ask them to let me transfer the key over or something. Is this going to be a problem since I used a OEM disc (this)?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

peepsalot posted:

I have a windows 7 pro 64bit install from an "OEM" DVD I purchased. I'm upgrading to a new computer and wanted to try to transfer this windows install over.

I tried running sysprep as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

But kept getting fatal errors like this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...=w7itproinstall

The answer for that says you have to "re-create the image", and by that I assume they mean a complete reinstall?

If I just do a fresh install on the new computer, I won't be able to use my key right? From what I understand I will have to call up microsoft and ask them to let me transfer the key over or something. Is this going to be a problem since I used a OEM disc (this)?

OEM Win 7 keys are tied to the motherboard from what I understand so yeah, you'd have to call MS and beg them to let you change your key.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

OEM Win 7 keys are tied to the motherboard from what I understand so yeah, you'd have to call MS and beg them to let you change your key.

I was just gonna ask if I could use my 7 key on my new laptop. I haven't talked to Microsoft in a decade. Are they pleasant or are they afraid to go off script?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ariza posted:

I was just gonna ask if I could use my 7 key on my new laptop. I haven't talked to Microsoft in a decade. Are they pleasant or are they afraid to go off script?

I've never had them say no. Just remember the magic words of "It's only installed on 1 machine."

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm looking for a program that can help me merge two PDF files into a single PDF, having the images be side by side (like the picture below). Needs to be free, and if it can do this in batches that's even better because I have a few dozen of these that I need to do.

How I've been doing it thus far is extracting the PDF files as JPEGs, then using paint to copy/paste the images side by side then re-saving them as a new JPEG, then using IrfranView to save them back as a PDF, this is oh so tedious, so anything that can simplify the process is what I'm essentially after.

EDIT: Jesus, I should've known better, when it's anything image related the answer is always IrfanView. Image > Create Panoramic > :aaaaa:

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What should I be using to scan and remove malware? Malware specifically. The machine in question has MSSE installed but I'm not sure if MSSE has any malware detection.

Anyway I hate doing this poo poo but my dad just dumped his laptop on me and its got some lovely chinese malware that I have no idea whats what. Its an older laptop so all this crap is making it slow.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials has malware detection capabilities. Just run the scanner. MSE works best when the system is up to date, so update it if you can. Also, use Malwarebytes (Free) and scan with that, too.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Is there any program for Windows XP that allows you to auto rename a file when pasting a copied/moved file that already exists in the destination?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Shaocaholica posted:

What should I be using to scan and remove malware? Malware specifically. The machine in question has MSSE installed but I'm not sure if MSSE has any malware detection.

Anyway I hate doing this poo poo but my dad just dumped his laptop on me and its got some lovely chinese malware that I have no idea whats what. Its an older laptop so all this crap is making it slow.

Seconding Malwarebytes, i bought a lifetime copy for all my family members, you should too so your family members don't hound you whenever they inevitably download something stupid and come crawling to you for help.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hi. In Windows 7, is there a default path to use for applications that aren't installed, so they show up in search, etc?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

pipebomb posted:

Hi. In Windows 7, is there a default path to use for applications that aren't installed, so they show up in search, etc?

If I understand the question, the simplest thing to do would just be to put the app anywhere (even Program Files), then add a shortcut to the app in your user directory (%home%).

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have an xp server that I've set up with remote access. Is there a reasonably simple way I can configure the server so that it will always display an actual desktop background to remote clients? I have a workaround where I just run a simple javascript to force it to set the background, but I'm looking for some place you can just set this. I'm not logging in from windows so I can't configure it through remote desktop settings. I looked through group policy under terminal services and so on, didn't find anything. Not a big deal at all, but if someone happens to know how to fix / set that it'd be nice.

e: oh this might work

e2: ok, from that link in 2k3 there is a key in the group policy for local machines, under Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services, called "Always show desktop on connection”. I am missing that entry. How can I add that missing entry?

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2014

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any free pdf readers that also allow editing? I just want to remove some unnecessary pages from a document before emailing it, but the programs I'm used to (Foxit, SumatraPDF) don't seem to allow any editing at all.

Plan B would be rescanning the document as something other than pdf, but I don't have easy access to a scanner at the moment.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any free pdf readers that also allow editing? I just want to remove some unnecessary pages from a document before emailing it, but the programs I'm used to (Foxit, SumatraPDF) don't seem to allow any editing at all.

Plan B would be rescanning the document as something other than pdf, but I don't have easy access to a scanner at the moment.
Take a look at PDF Split and Merge if removing pages is all of the sort of editing you need to do.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Quick question about WDS.

I installed WDS on our 2012 imaging server. I need to configure the thing now and when I follow the steps located here
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj648426.aspx#BKMK_InstallingInstallImage

Specifically:
Click Tools, and then click Windows Deployment Services to launch the Windows Deployment Services MMC-snap (or console).
In the left pane of the Windows Deployment Services MMC snap-in, expand the list of servers.
Right-click the desired server, click Configure Server.

When I right click to Configure Server, this option isn't there. Any ideas as to why?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Take a look at PDF Split and Merge if removing pages is all of the sort of editing you need to do.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
Can someone tell me how to make a bat file to run ping every hour and save the results to a txt file?

I want to run something like : ping google.com -n 60 >>C:\ping.txt

Though when I do that in a bat file, it doesn't have the same effect as if I just ran it manually in a cmd prompt.

I want to use task scheduler to run the bat if it is the easiest way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You want to do this in powershell

code:
$Count = 30
$Ping = @()
$Computer = "www.somethingawful.com";
While ($Count -gt 0)
{   $Ping += Get-WmiObject Win32_PingStatus -Filter "Address = '$Computer'" | Select @{Label="TimeStamp";Expression={Get-Date}},@{Label="Source";Expression={ $_.__Server }},@{Label="Destination";Expression={ $_.Address }},IPv4Address,@{Label="Status";Expression={ If ($_.StatusCode -ne 0) {"Failed"} Else {""}}},ResponseTime
    $Count --
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 1
}
$Ping | Select TimeStamp,Source,Destination,IPv4Address,Status,ResponseTime | ft -AutoSize
$Ping | Select TimeStamp,Source,Destination,IPv4Address,Status,ResponseTime | Export-CSV C:\Users\PPills\Desktop\pinglog.csv -NoTypeInformation
Will output something like

code:
TimeStamp             Source    Destination            IPV4Address   Status Response
                                                                                Time
---------             ------    -----------            -----------   ------ --------
2/13/2014 12:31:51 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              46
2/13/2014 12:31:52 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:31:53 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              47
2/13/2014 12:31:55 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:31:56 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:31:57 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              44
2/13/2014 12:31:58 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              44
2/13/2014 12:31:59 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:00 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              57
2/13/2014 12:32:01 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:02 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              44
2/13/2014 12:32:03 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              59
2/13/2014 12:32:04 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              47
2/13/2014 12:32:05 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              56
2/13/2014 12:32:06 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:07 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:08 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              44
2/13/2014 12:32:09 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              46
2/13/2014 12:32:11 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:12 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              47
2/13/2014 12:32:13 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:14 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:15 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:16 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              46
2/13/2014 12:32:17 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
2/13/2014 12:32:18 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              46
2/13/2014 12:32:19 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              44
2/13/2014 12:32:20 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              46
2/13/2014 12:32:21 AM STOCKHOLM www.somethingawful.com 198.41.191.79              45
If you start of with param(param1, param2, param3) etc you can pass the computer name(s) as command line arguments, or pass it a list of computers in a text file if you want to get fancy, but that should at least get you started...

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 13, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Anyone know where I can get official Vista or 8 ISOs? I need to do some work on a friend's computer (she has keys for both) and while I have 7, I don't have Vista or 8.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

m2pt5 posted:

Anyone know where I can get official Vista or 8 ISOs? I need to do some work on a friend's computer (she has keys for both) and while I have 7, I don't have Vista or 8.

Go here, download the thing, punch in the product key, it downloads the ISO.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What are the current alternatives to Rainmeter? I just formatted and was about to reinstall it, when I remembered how annoyingly fiddly it was and how I had to dig into script files to do relatively basic changes to the widgets.

Samurize refuses to install on 8.1, Windows widgets still suck, anything else around that will put CPU/GPU temperatures and an email feed on my desktop?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Factor Mystic posted:

Go here, download the thing, punch in the product key, it downloads the ISO.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Does it actually just download the iso or does it just start installing 8 like the page implies?

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

Does it actually just download the iso or does it just start installing 8 like the page implies?

It will download the files and after it completes, you'll have the option to either install now or later. Choose later, and you'll have an option to burn it to a DVD, make a USB installer, or create an ISO.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NihilCredo posted:

Samurize refuses to install on 8.1

Samurize no longer being developed is a drat shame. I remember using it in the XP days, and it was a very versatile tool.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Samurize no longer being developed is a drat shame. I remember using it in the XP days, and it was a very versatile tool.

Rainmeter does pretty much everything Samurize did, AFAIK.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to make Outlook 2013 send from your primary email account no matter which mailbox you are currently looking at?

One of my clients has Outlook 2013 set up with his office exchange server and his personal gmail. He's always accidentally sending work email from his gmail because he happens to have his gmail account selected.

I guess I'd like it to ALWAYS have his @officeexchange.com email as the From:, and only send from his gmail.com if he explicitly selects it from the dropdown.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have an Epson all-in-one wired to our router via Ethernet. On my desktop, running Windows 8.1, I can scan into Paint just fine using the "From scanner or camera" option in the file menu. On my wife's Windows 7 laptop, however, that option is grayed out. Both have the same Epson software installed and working. Epson said it's Microsoft's problem. Does anyone have any idea why I can't scan into Paint on her laptop?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hooah posted:

We have an Epson all-in-one wired to our router via Ethernet. On my desktop, running Windows 8.1, I can scan into Paint just fine using the "From scanner or camera" option in the file menu. On my wife's Windows 7 laptop, however, that option is grayed out. Both have the same Epson software installed and working. Epson said it's Microsoft's problem. Does anyone have any idea why I can't scan into Paint on her laptop?

Does it show up under Devices and Printers?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

thebigcow posted:

Does it show up under Devices and Printers?

Yup.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

Have you tried sharing the printer via Homegroup?

To duplicate your settings to her PC:

On her PC go to Administrative Tools >Print Servers and delete the printer. Go to Devices and Printers and make sure the printer is gone. If it's not, right click on it and remove the device.

On your PC, go into Administrative Tools >Print Servers and right click on your PC and select "Export printers to a file". Get this file onto her PC. Now have her right click on her respective machine name and "Import printers from a file".

If the functionality is still not available, I'd start to look at it as a network or port forwarding issue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hooah posted:

Do you have the network connection setup as Work/Home on her laptop?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WorkingStiff posted:

Have you tried sharing the printer via Homegroup?

How do I do that? Right-clicking on either of the printer's entries in Devices and Printers doesn't give that option.

quote:

To duplicate your settings to her PC:

On her PC go to Administrative Tools >Print Servers and delete the printer. Go to Devices and Printers and make sure the printer is gone. If it's not, right click on it and remove the device.

On your PC, go into Administrative Tools >Print Servers and right click on your PC and select "Export printers to a file". Get this file onto her PC. Now have her right click on her respective machine name and "Import printers from a file".

If the functionality is still not available, I'd start to look at it as a network or port forwarding issue.

Neither of our computers has the Print Servers tool. Hers (Windows 7 Home Premium) has nothing printer-related there. Mine (Windows 8.1 Pro) has Print Management.

Inspector_666 posted:

Do you have the network connection setup as Work/Home on her laptop?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

hooah posted:

This could be a driver issue. I have a Canon networked printer and two machines running Windows 8.1 and I have the same situation. My old machine can't scan into Paint (as well as Photoshop and other apps using WIA). The new machine I just built works fine. The only difference is that on the old one I downloaded and installed the driver package manually and on the new one I just let windows detect the printer and install the drivers automatically.

So I would suggest uninstalling all the drivers and to try to use the drivers from Windows Update (if that's not what you were already doing.)

Fake edit:
I just did exactly this on my old machine and it fixed the problem. :shrug:

Real edit:
Grammar.

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 17, 2014