Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Foolie posted:

So, are gaming laptops a lost cause entirely? I haven't been in one place long enough the past ~6 years to justify a desktop and started buying gaming laptops. They tended to be great... for a year. Afterwards, given ~20 hours a day of use, they have committed ritual computer seppuku via fan/overheating/video card problems. The most recent victim has discovered all kinds of interesting BSODs inside of Windows 8. Expected behavior, or I am terrible at quality control and compute care?

I'm at a year and a half on a Sager NP9160 including a Year In Review post made in this thread and I still have no complaints. For reference it gets used atleast 6 hours a day and goes literally everywhere I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It depends on the actual gaming laptop models in question.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

shrughes posted:

It depends on the actual gaming laptop models in question.

Two Toshibas, one MSI. I don't think I put in as much due diligence for my PC purchases compared to when I was a kid, but looking for problems a year in or more would have been pretty hard to begin with.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Besides some gaming laptops being better less bad than others, keeping it well-ventilated and on a cooling rack would help its longevity.

Alternatively, you could build a mini-ITX system and monitor into a Pelican case or something similar.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
It's a total ripoff for normal use, but now that I think of it, the couple higher-end portable monitors available do have separate hdmi inputs to avoid USB latency and overhead... are there any flat rather than shoebox mini ITX cases? :)

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Foolie posted:

So, are gaming laptops a lost cause entirely? I haven't been in one place long enough the past ~6 years to justify a desktop and started buying gaming laptops. They tended to be great... for a year. Afterwards, given ~20 hours a day of use, they have committed ritual computer seppuku via fan/overheating/video card problems. The most recent victim has discovered all kinds of interesting BSODs inside of Windows 8. Expected behavior, or I am terrible at quality control and compute care?

I've been using the same Dell XPS14 since Dec 2010 and it's handled every game I've thrown at it. Even at this point I still feel no reason to upgrade yet, since it's doing everything I need it to.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I did it. I ordered the z410 that normally costs $900. Thanks to the :siren: link it totalled out at just over $600. The president's day coupon was awesome.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Foolie posted:

I'm 3 months into Y410p ownership and things are still going great. It never gets particularly hot but still has plenty of power, even for the more modern games that I play. It's cheap and durable, the only complaints about the laptop are related to 1) the trackpad, which isn't great, but nobody games on their trackpad, and 2) the screen, which I think looks good but others don't. I easily see this laptop lasting at least 3 years even if it's not able to run the latest games by that point

The other complaints are related to Lenovo 1) mysteriously making people wait over a month for shipping, which is uncommon but happens more often than it should, and 2) having poor customer support, which I haven't needed to use at all but if you're one of those 1% of people who gets a lemon laptop then you're going to hate your life while you work through it. It's totally understandable to hate a company after a bad customer service experience, I hate Westinghouse for the same reason (having to pack up and ship 3 different 46" LED TVs in as many months, receiving a new refurbished model each time because Westinghouse repair service hires people who don't know how to read). Buying from a company with poor customer service is always a roll of the dice, but for most people it works out fine because product defects that are RMA-worthy just aren't that common.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm looking at buying a y510p around July/August months. Really hoping that they have a Haswell refresh or maybe get lucky with Broadwell coming out. I don't know if I should just hold out until Broadwell. This will be my main computer for four years. Mainly play wow and want something to play with high settings. Don't really care about battery life, but don't want the fans to be super loud. Should I look at something other than y510p?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Foolie posted:

So, are gaming laptops a lost cause entirely?
They're not a lost cause as long as you're not (1) buying some cut-rate "custom" build where it's obvious that they're trying to shove the biggest GPU into the cheapest box they possibly can, (2) running it full-tilt 24/7, and (3) stuffing its vents full of dust and/or pet hair.

If I had to buy one that I expected to last awhile, I'd look at something like the Dell/Alienware lines, Razor (if I had a lot of cash), or possibly a Lenovo Y-series. Some of the Clevo variants are probably just as good, but a lot of them also fall foul of (1) above.

You also sound like one of the few people who would actually benefit from an extended warranty.

Dobermaniac posted:

I'm looking at buying a y510p around July/August months. Really hoping that they have a Haswell refresh or maybe get lucky with Broadwell coming out. I don't know if I should just hold out until Broadwell. This will be my main computer for four years. Mainly play wow and want something to play with high settings. Don't really care about battery life, but don't want the fans to be super loud. Should I look at something other than y510p?
A y510p would be fine (don't bother with SLI), as would many other laptops if you're really just looking for a WoW-box. Broadwell looks like it should offer a bit of a CPU power bump, but if WoW is your baseline requirement, you're unlikely to notice much of a benefit, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 16, 2014

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I need some advice. My mom's looking to replace her old Dell laptop with something new, and I'm not sure where to start looking to recommend her a replacement. Her requirements are, basically:

a. Decent speed for loading webpages and the odd Office document.
b. Lightweight.
c. A proper keyboard.
d. Touchscreen (optional)
e. Under ~$750 CAD.

Anyone have some decent suggestions, or product lines I should focus on? Thanks.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dobermaniac posted:

I believe this is the refresh. Optional 4k resolution screen :lol:

Does Windows do 400% scaling?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I believe this is the refresh. Optional 4k resolution screen :lol:

Does Windows do 400% scaling?

Depends on the app.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

Ive been trying to find s budget (£500 or less) notebook with a decant cpu and igpu combo in less then a 15 inch formfactor and its getting a bit flustrating.

AMD A6 5200 or a Haswell i3 with Intel HD 4400 would be about right. These CPUs are everyware at the 15in size and under £500 but once you go smaller then that there's not alot of choice, which is odd as the CPUs I am looking at are ment for budget/mainstream subnotebooks but everyones sticking them in budget 15 inchers for some reason..

Update on this, No luck finding anything so guess ill follow the 15.6 bandwagon. On that note anyone here had any experance with:

Acer E1 5xx
Lenovo G5xx
Toshiba C55/C50

Because those series seem to be where most of my options lay at the moment. On the subject of Thinkpads, The only Thinkpad series i could make work would be the E series and that would be almost topping out budget for me, but i hear they are not all that great and so may as well go non thinkpad..

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm looking at the lowest level Y410P and an L440 I put together. Here is the L440:

• Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.10GHz)
• Windows 8 64
• Windows 8 64 English
• 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
• Intel HD Graphics 4600
• 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM
• Keyboard - US English
• Ultranav without Fingerprint Reader
• 720p HD Camera
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• Optical Bay Travel Bezel
• 6 Cell Li-Ion Cylindrical Battery 56.16Wh
• 65W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• ThinkPad Wireless 2 x 2 BGN with Bluetooth
• Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English
• 1 Year Depot or Carry-in

And here is the Y410p:
• 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
• Windows 8 64
• 14.0" HD Glossy with integrated camera (1366x768)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 6.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 500GB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

The L440 is $639 and the Y410p is $719. It looks to me like the L440 has a better screen and Y410p has a better video card but other than that I can't see much of a difference. Is there any good reason to get the Y410p over getting the L440 and having a savings? I already think the HD 4600 video card on the L440 is sufficient for me.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Is there any good reason to get the Y410p over getting the L440 and having a savings?
No.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I worked another deal today at Best Buy for an Open Box Mac.

Got a Macbook Air Haswell 13"/128gig/4gig for $719.

Was $1099, marked to $899 open box. Chatted with the manager and asked for 20% off. He said "sure, let's make a deal."

Another screaming deal, but I have been utterly ruined by retina screens. I think it's going back...I was planning on returning the 13" rMBP 512gig/8gig I got for $1,249 to save $500, but I just can't.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dgpu is huge difference unless you plan on sticking to 2d indie games.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hotsauce posted:

I worked another deal today at Best Buy for an Open Box Mac.

Got a Macbook Air Haswell 13"/128gig/4gig for $719.

Was $1099, marked to $899 open box. Chatted with the manager and asked for 20% off. He said "sure, let's make a deal."

Another screaming deal, but I have been utterly ruined by retina screens. I think it's going back...I was planning on returning the 13" rMBP 512gig/8gig I got for $1,249 to save $500, but I just can't.

drat you're good. I'm still cruising around to find any rMBP open box deals. My local best buys just have opened iPad Airs and windows laptops.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can you guys recommend me a good platform for software development? I'm looking for something quick and cheap that will facilitate writing C code. I've thought about Chromebook as they are dirt cheap but I wonder how well they perform cross compiling and boot time. I'd probably end up dual booting a Linux distro but I'm not sure what yet.

I'd like to spend under $300 as I have a powerful desktop to do heavy development, but I'd like something faster than my current ~4-5 year old netbook now.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Popete posted:

Can you guys recommend me a good platform for software development? I'm looking for something quick and cheap that will facilitate writing C code. I've thought about Chromebook as they are dirt cheap but I wonder how well they perform cross compiling and boot time. I'd probably end up dual booting a Linux distro but I'm not sure what yet.

I'd like to spend under $300 as I have a powerful desktop to do heavy development, but I'd like something faster than my current ~4-5 year old netbook now.

The chromebooks are fine for gcc-cross. The newer Acer Atom ones have VT support, so you can just virtualize whatever you want. Unless you're doing development for ARM or something. In which case you'd need gcc-cross anyway.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
At sub-$300 I think the best recommendation is a Thinkpad X200s or T400 or T410 (if you can find a 1440x900) or X200 or X201 on eBay (or somewhere).

If you really want to buy new for some reason, ASUS X200CA-DB02 is one option, and if you inch up past $300 up to $350 the Dell Inspiron 11 is a good choice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My 440p arrived today after a week's delay. Wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said the touchpad was janky as gently caress. Outside of that it seems pretty awesome, though. It's okay to just wipe the Lenovo stuff and install Windows clean, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to go ahead and invest in the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Going on a trip soon, and my heavy rear end antique toaster laptop can barely handle low resolution video. It's been time for an upgrade, though I will admit throwing down $1200 was a bit of a surprise. Anyone have any advice on the thing? I'm going from old and busted to super fancy in a matter of days, I don't want to gently caress poo poo up.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Oh man, another day in the misadventures of the Y410P: playing Spelunky makes the computer pop up a "Your computer is running out of memory, let me close Spelunky to help you out" when it's at 12% RAM usage :wtc:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shrughes posted:

At sub-$300 I think the best recommendation is a Thinkpad X200s or T400 or T410 (if you can find a 1440x900) or X200 or X201 on eBay (or somewhere).

If you really want to buy new for some reason, ASUS X200CA-DB02 is one option, and if you inch up past $300 up to $350 the Dell Inspiron 11 is a good choice.

Yeah, if you troll craigslist you can find a modern i5 T410 for the $300 mark

T400 is going to be last garb l gen core 2 which is a big step down

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Oh man, another day in the misadventures of the Y410P: playing Spelunky makes the computer pop up a "Your computer is running out of memory, let me close Spelunky to help you out" when it's at 12% RAM usage :wtc:

I've had this happen a few times as well, but on different games.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

OKAY.

I'm going to get rid of my late '08 15" Macbook Pro. It's a fine machine but too big/heavy and I already have a Retina Macbook from work. All I need from a personal laptop is doing web stuff, watching some videos, and writing code. Thin / Lightweight / Good (possibly high DPI) Resolution are my main concerns. I intend on going fully Linux as well, so good hardware support is key.

I was totally about to blow a dime on the new 2014 Thinkpad X1 Carbon but then I saw its unholy abortion of a keyboard layout and decided against it.

Right now I'm kind of stuck between the Thinkpad X240 and the Dell XPS 13. I like the X240 design, but it's a little pricy for what it is. Meanwhile the XPS 13 has way better Linux support and better specs for the $$, but I'm not wild about the design of it and I'm worried about longevity.

Does anyone have either and have any thoughts? Other suggestions?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Kinkajou posted:

I've had this happen a few times as well, but on different games.

I've had this happen with World of Tanks with 6/8GB free. It's something...maybe Lenovo settings?

I have an x230, which is why I think this is a Lenovo issue.

Moxie Omen posted:

Right now I'm kind of stuck between the Thinkpad X240 and the Dell XPS 13. I like the X240 design, but it's a little pricy for what it is. Meanwhile the XPS 13 has way better Linux support and better specs for the $$, but I'm not wild about the design of it and I'm worried about longevity.

Does anyone have either and have any thoughts? Other suggestions?

If you are already comfortable with Macs, do you really want a dinky Win8 machine for kicks? I'd say a MBA is right up your alley. Since you have a definite powerhouse in your MBPr, you can certainly do with a refurb 128GB SSD/4GB RAM cheap purchase, if you can find it.

Do Macs have good Linux support?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

P.N.T.M. posted:

If you are already comfortable with Macs, do you really want a dinky Win8 machine for kicks? I'd say a MBA is right up your alley. Since you have a definite powerhouse in your MBPr, you can certainly do with a refurb 128GB SSD/4GB RAM cheap purchase, if you can find it.

Do Macs have good Linux support?

I'm not going to be running Win8 on anything. Screen resolution totally kills my interest in the MBA and I don't do anything that absolutely requires OSX anyway.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Spoiled brats these days are even too cool for 1440x900 :/

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

butros posted:

I searched back a ways but didn't see anything on this so apologies if it's been covered - I had an X120e which has died that I'm looking to replace. I don't game, most of my usage is Office, watching videos on Amazon Prime or Netflix, and some minimal photo editing for occasional eBay sales. Small size is good, I don't need or want a touchscreen, and I don't want to spend a ton either.

I don't think I want a Chromebook as I prefer the full functionality of Office Suite vs. Google Docs, but if I could be persuaded otherwise I'd be open to looking at a Chromebook I guess.

I've generally had good experiences with Lenovo and am looking pretty seriously at getting the X140e. Does anyone have experience with this model? Should I be looking at something else in that price bracket?

Also, back when I got the X120e there was a contractor thing going on - looks from what I can find online they've clamped down on that - any good way to get discounts on Lenovo? I have never seen the models I'm interested in (the X130e before the X140e) be eligible for any of their bi-weekly coupon blitzes.

TLDR: Need a small laptop/netbook for word processing and excel and watching online video, cheap is good. Any recommendations?

A page back but I have a practically unused x120e I bought for school use then tried the windows 8 demo, hated it, reinstalled windows 7 then never got around to updating the drivers so I parked it. If you're interested send me a gmail (same username as here)

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I meant build quality first and foremost. Going from a MBP or MBPr to a plastic windows laptop can lead many people to hate their lives, from what I gather.

I'm assuming $1000 is your highest price point, but what is the lowest resolution you can do with?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does UPS hold packages in random spots instead of delivering early? My t440p has been an hour away since the 16th, with an estimated delivery date of thursday.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Does UPS hold packages in random spots instead of delivering early? My t440p has been an hour away since the 16th, with an estimated delivery date of thursday.

Snow storms made my deliveries super slow lately, where do you live?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A ha ha ha ha! Panasonic has looked at the Thinkpad Yoga and decided that, you know what, it's missing a feature.

It has a nice thick pen, too.

And ports!

It weighs 2.63 lbs (compared to 3.52 lbs for the Thinkpad Yoga), has a FHD screen, 2 mm of key travel, and advertises 14.5 hrs of battery life, whatever that means. Has a two-battery system like the AX3, X240, and T440s.

Enrico Cocinar
Aug 6, 2004

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a L540 i5 with upgraded screen/wifi and 128 SSD to replace a 2006 Gateway. I have an iPad I've been using for most purposes but needed a new laptop for work from home and projects.

Thanks to OP and everybody in the thread for your thoughts.

Looked like the best quality / add-ons / price for me. I'd be happy to share any thoughts or pictures if anybody is curious when it arrives.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Typically UPS will not deliver early. I don't think cold weather has anything to do with it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

I feel bad for your seemingly random and bizarre issues. Have you tried running memtest86? At this point you just need to get a replacement laptop (or at least some replacement ram? Maybe?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shrughes posted:

A ha ha ha ha! Panasonic has looked at the Thinkpad Yoga and decided that, you know what, it's missing a feature.

It has a nice thick pen, too.

And ports!

It weighs 2.63 lbs (compared to 3.52 lbs for the Thinkpad Yoga), has a FHD screen, 2 mm of key travel, and advertises 14.5 hrs of battery life, whatever that means. Has a two-battery system like the AX3, X240, and T440s.

I love how the Japanese design laptops, and they love cramming a DVD drive in. My Sony vaio Z12's DVD drive is so thin it literally does not have a lid - the underside of the keyboard itself is the "lid" for the DVD drive, to keep the thickness down. (Well, until I removed it and crammed another SSD in there).