Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For some reason, this only works when NumLock is off.

This used to also be the case for running in a direction in the ToME 2.x days as well (and may still be?), but with auto-explore it doesn't really matter as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For some reason, this whole numlock thing seems to be a problem in every roguelike ever. I know at least DCSS and Nethack have the same problem. I can see how it might be common between all console roguelikes (there's probably not much you can do about it there), but games with their own GUI like ToME and DCSS tiles really shouldn't still have this problem.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Well I unlocked snot bazookas. That's all the classes!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any way to remove the giant lag spikes I get when moving around?

E: Also how should I build my Stone Warden skillwise?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dizz posted:

Is there any way to remove the giant lag spikes I get when moving around?

E: Also how should I build my Stone Warden skillwise?

Run on Linux and pipe stdout to /dev/null

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Load up a character, go into options, in game options, and turn 'Smooth fog of war' to disabled. This should make auto-explore not as laggy. You can tweak some of the other video options if there is a particular thing that seems to hit your rig harder than others.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Arrrrgh I am so ridiculously terrible at melee characters :argh:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I just bumbled my way into a cavern full of undead things. I was fully resigned to dying because it was just so funny to me. Luckily I made it out just in time thanks to the rod of recall but the image of some rear end in a top hat dwarf thinking he was gonna rob a grave, only to fall into a cavern full of undead is just hilarious to me.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Trip report: putting the windblade prodigy on a berserker is pretty loving awesome.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Fibby Boy posted:

I just bumbled my way into a cavern full of undead things. I was fully resigned to dying because it was just so funny to me. Luckily I made it out just in time thanks to the rod of recall but the image of some rear end in a top hat dwarf thinking he was gonna rob a grave, only to fall into a cavern full of undead is just hilarious to me.

..why did I not do that? I blew a life making it through that event on my archmage run. It's not a very exciting event but it is a pretty neat idea.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I finally killed the master! And then got jumped by a large group of level 40 orcs when I left. :( Nearly killed them all but the damage finally caught up to me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

I finally killed the master! And then got jumped by a large group of level 40 orcs when I left. :( Nearly killed them all but the damage finally caught up to me.

That's a fixed thing, they don't kill you, even if they defeat you. You can beat it, but it's not a big deal if you don't. Congrats on beating the master, he gets easier as you beat him a few times.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fibby Boy posted:

Yeah, that's a scripted event. You're supposed* to die fighting them, you wake up at 1 HP a little while later and get a quest to go track them down. If you actually, for realsies died that's probably a bug.

*If you can deal with huge crowds you've got a really solid chance of winning outright, which is super fun and makes you feel cool as hell

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, that's a scripted event. You're supposed* to die fighting them, you wake up at 1 HP a little while later and get a quest to go track them down. If you actually, for realsies died that's probably a bug.

*If you can deal with huge crowds you've got a really solid chance of winning outright, which is super fun and makes you feel cool as hell

Good to know. Yeah I was able to kill half of the group and knock the other half down to critical health before the archers sniped me. I had just hit 20 after having murdered the master at 19 and was feeling pretty badass since he was level 27. I'm running a stonewarden with maxed out eldritch shield, 5,1 in elemental twins, maxed out nature tree, and my stats at 49 magic, 46 willpower, 20 strength, and 15 constitution. I picked up a ring that splits all of my damage into fire, frost, shock, and a couple other elements instead of being a flat physical, nature, and arcane deal. Best I've ever done without eldritch vines.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
If you kill the boss in the ambush, and then die to an archer or something, you die for real. Ukruk's the one that keeps you alive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fungah! posted:

I won that fight as a Stone Warden, the only time I've ever beaten the Master so far. loving vines, man. :c00l:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

EDIT: They're really, really upset about the whole removed-breeding-pits thing, apparently.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 18, 2014

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Beamed posted:

EDIT: They're really, really upset about the whole removed-breeding-pits thing, apparently.

Hey, I see myself in there!

Also, wyrmic is pretty fun. The weirdling beast was a bitch to fight though, fucker kept devouring my regen.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man what's with AotD and wanting to bang harpies and centaurs?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I kind of wonder if it was a bad idea to choose the meteor prodigy on my Stonewarden just becuase I like the mental image of Stone Spikes or one of the melee shield skills proccing it. Especially since I have the Fiery Choker equipped, which causes the meteor to occasionally cause a volcano to appear.

I must control all the rocks, you see

edit: imagine walking down the road and suddenly a burly looking dwarf dude hits you with his shield from like a hundred feet away, which causes a meteor to fall on you and a volcano to spring up at your feet.

A Meat fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 18, 2014

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Magres posted:

Man what's with AotD and wanting to bang harpies and centaurs?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=daily+life+with+a+monster+girl

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:catstare:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Man I sure am glad I paid you guys to be my friends or I sure would be lost in my life!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So I'm thinking of doing a Ghoul Cursed - 100% innate stun/freeze immunity is cray. Anyone know if you can Ghoul Leap through walls the way you can Blindside through? Being able to Hatevision Ghoul Leap through walls sounds great

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Magres posted:

So I'm thinking of doing a Ghoul Cursed - 100% innate stun/freeze immunity is cray. Anyone know if you can Ghoul Leap through walls the way you can Blindside through? Being able to Hatevision Ghoul Leap through walls sounds great

I'm 99.999% sure you can't ghouljump through walls. Sadly!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Right. "Jump"-type movement travels in a straight line, ignoring occupied and impassable terrain, but not walls. IIRC you can jump over lava and traps and stuff, but walls will still stop you. Who cares, just murderport through instead :unsmigghh:

That said, Ghoul Cursed is actually really great (well, the starter dungeon is dreadful and the rest of the first 10 levels are pretty ugh, but otherwise it's great), because the Leap ability is another awesome escape on a class that has lots of them, Surge will completely mitigate your speed penalty when walking around, and Rampage will far more than mitigate it when fighting. Throw in Ghoul HP, freakish dead-guy strength, and a handy little self-healing AoE that can purge statuses, and you have a pretty dang solid all-around melee facewrecker. The last Gloom talent is also rad for you, because one of the biggest Ghoul problems lategame is getting more lasers shot at you by spellcasters, and Sanctuary shaves down all the lasers that come from outside your Gloom radius (which is where all the spellcasters will be until you smash and eat them in 1/3 of a turn) on top of you getting hit by less lasers anyway because you're a fast zombie and also super pissed.

Cursed is really a perfect fit to totally mitigate Ghoul weaknesses IMHO. It's just that the very start of the game is so... :negative:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 18, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Magres posted:

You can't leap through walls, but it is useful for closing on enemies out of hateport range. You can leap halfway to them and hateport the rest of the way.

I just started a ghoul cursed recently, and honestly the beginning wasn't too bad. But maybe that's because I found a +20 damage on hit battleaxe in the starter dungeon, which pretty much doubled my damage and trivialised the bone giant.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Beamed posted:

Sounds to me that they are annoyed that a group of people is talking poo poo on them behind their backs, not that they were still going on about the breeding pits (which I know for a fact they are tired of talking about). I read the end of the last topic and most of this topic, and there really is a lot of self-righteous looking down on folks and/or just plain nastiness going around in these topics. It's not too surprising that they were talking about what was going on here and had negative things to say about Something Awful, a forum they've otherwise had little to no reason to care about or interact with.

Anyway, I came here because I wanted to talk about TOME and TOME related things (NOT including the breeding pit or other player's/developer's worthiness as human beings :suicide:). I've gotten to the point that I can win normal fairly "reliably" on most classes barring Horrible Things (so not all that reliably in actuality), so I'm trying to get my first nightmare win. It's not going so hot, and it's becoming an unhealthy obsession. Generally, if I can get through the first few levels (thanks Myssil!), I can get through T2, but then everything goes to poo poo. On normal, I generally finish the base T2 dungeons, then do, in order: Tempest Peak, Halfling Compound, Hidden Compound, Golem Graveyard, Elven Ruins, Ruined Dungeon, Dreadfell. That doesn't seem to be as smart in nightmare, though. Anyone have a different recommended order?

Also, you guys have inspired me to give cursed a shot on Nightmare. They were the second class I won with, and my first true love hate. Summoner's are great for flings, but I don't think you can ever truly love one. Time to get some murdertrain going.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dairy Power posted:

Sounds to me that they are annoyed that a group of people is talking poo poo on them behind their backs, not that they were still going on about the breeding pits (which I know for a fact they are tired of talking about). I read the end of the last topic and most of this topic, and there really is a lot of self-righteous looking down on folks and/or just plain nastiness going around in these topics. It's not too surprising that they were talking about what was going on here and had negative things to say about Something Awful, a forum they've otherwise had little to no reason to care about or interact with.

Anyway, I came here because I wanted to talk about TOME and TOME related things (NOT including the breeding pit or other player's/developer's worthiness as human beings :suicide:). I've gotten to the point that I can win normal fairly "reliably" on most classes barring Horrible Things (so not all that reliably in actuality), so I'm trying to get my first nightmare win. It's not going so hot, and it's becoming an unhealthy obsession. Generally, if I can get through the first few levels (thanks Myssil!), I can get through T2, but then everything goes to poo poo. On normal, I generally finish the base T2 dungeons, then do, in order: Tempest Peak, Halfling Compound, Hidden Compound, Golem Graveyard, Elven Ruins, Ruined Dungeon, Dreadfell. That doesn't seem to be as smart in nightmare, though. Anyone have a different recommended order?

Also, you guys have inspired me to give cursed a shot on Nightmare. They were the second class I won with, and my first true love hate. Summoner's are great for flings, but I don't think you can ever truly love one. Time to get some murdertrain going.

Ah yes, we're talking "poo poo" about aotd and his clique and "arbitrarily looking down on him".

He definitely hasn't misinformed more people than anyone can count in chat with just straight up wrong poo poo or poo poo he's made up, or talked about weird inappropriate poo poo like having sex with animals and stuff. Nope. Just a bunch of meanies over here, paying to be each others friends and talking poo poo about those decent folk on that chat.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ah yes, we're talking "poo poo" about aotd and his clique and "arbitrarily looking down on him".

He definitely hasn't misinformed more people than anyone can count in chat with just straight up wrong poo poo or poo poo he's made up, or talked about weird inappropriate poo poo like having sex with animals and stuff. Nope. Just a bunch of meanies over here, paying to be each others friends and talking poo poo about those decent folk on that chat.

I also like how one person's smartass comment (mine, of course) about a mod is now a 'boycott'. I'm even using the mod myself!

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

I also like how one person's smartass comment (mine, of course) about a mod is now a 'boycott'. I'm even using the mod myself!

Well, he probably heard it second-hand and with the other things that have been said, it's not too surprising that he thought it was both serious AND a wider-spread thing lol.

Anyway, Welt Hitman, my Halfling Cursed on Nightmare is off to an AMAZING start. Myssil dropped Gwai's burninator, a good D. Steel battleaxe, and a 320 regen with 13 cooldown. Definitely getting screwed soon :D

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

Drowning Myssil is mad cheesy. My first nightmare win didn't do that (but it was an Oozemancer, sooooo...). I only drowned her when I was trying to do a short staff Reaver because their early game is just so incredibly appalling.

The only things that really stand out there for me are that I usually pop into the Golem Graveyard pretty early and hope for some decent chests, and that make absolutely sure to lock Tempest Peak as early as you can because Urkis is godawful. I also (even on Nightmare) tend to leave the Elven Ruins until after Dreadfell.

Do you just skip the Charred Scar? I generally find it tolerable (but I've started skipping the Dark Crypt on Nightmare and up because that place can bite me :argh:)

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

theshim posted:

Drowning Myssil is mad cheesy. My first nightmare win didn't do that (but it was an Oozemancer, sooooo...). I only drowned her when I was trying to do a short staff Reaver because their early game is just so incredibly appalling.

The only things that really stand out there for me are that I usually pop into the Golem Graveyard pretty early and hope for some decent chests, and that make absolutely sure to lock Tempest Peak as early as you can because Urkis is godawful. I also (even on Nightmare) tend to leave the Elven Ruins until after Dreadfell.

Do you just skip the Charred Scar? I generally find it tolerable (but I've started skipping the Dark Crypt on Nightmare and up because that place can bite me :argh:)

It's mad cheesy, but getting to 10 on a halfling cursed otherwise would have been horrible haha. Though, tbh, in a roguelike, I believe any and all cheese is good unless you're looking for an extra challenge. In which, I'd just be cheesy in a higher difficulty :)

Popping in to the golem graveyard early isn't a bad idea. I'll have to do that when I'm sure I can handle the assassin lord, just in case I run into him on the way.

Yeah, I'll probably leave the Elven Ruins alone until after Dreadfell due to nightmare scaling. Good call.

As for Charred Scar, yeah. I had some bad experiences with it early on and just never really go there. Maybe I'll give it a shot now that I'm more competent. I also tend to skip the Temporal Rift, unless I'm feeling good about the character. Chronolith Twins have caused a few too many unnecessary deaths for me. I haven't lost to them much at all recently, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Welt is still going strong. Got Thaloren Cuirass or w/e from Prox and cleared Norgos + Bill. I'll probably at least make it through T2. I was even attacked by a summoner and a doomed at the same time and managed to survive, though it was a little close.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

It's mad cheesy, but getting to 10 on a halfling cursed otherwise would have been horrible haha. Though, tbh, in a roguelike, I believe any and all cheese is good unless you're looking for an extra challenge. In which, I'd just be cheesy in a higher difficulty :)
Given that I've beaten a short staff Reaver on Nightmare and gotten the achievement for getting the Master to drop the Rod of Recall, I guess I'm not one to talk :v:

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can we shut up about AotD already? Christ, there are people in the world I don't like very much either but I don't keep posting about them on internet forums.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

theshim posted:

Given that I've beaten a short staff Reaver on Nightmare and gotten the achievement for getting the Master to drop the Rod of Recall, I guess I'm not one to talk :v:

How is making the Master drop the rod of recall cheese? It seems like it would be w quite the extra challenge unless I'm missing something really obvious.

(Also drowning Myssil feels super cheesy even as someone who stands by the 'if you can do it in a roguelike it's fair game' policy, though I have still been doing it because it's such a nice boost to the most straightforward part of the game.)

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Nikolaos posted:

Can we shut up about AotD already? Christ, there are people in the world I don't like very much either but I don't keep posting about them on internet forums.

It's my fault for being nosy after reading some comments a few pages back. Didn't want to ask in this thread because I think I'm too old for drama and goonrushes, especially over a single player game. I asked Shibari what AotD did that people here dislike him, Shibari tells AotD and here we are.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fnordcircle posted:

It's my fault for being nosy after reading some comments a few pages back. Didn't want to ask in this thread because I think I'm too old for drama and goonrushes, especially over a single player game. I asked Shibari what AotD did that people here dislike him, Shibari tells AotD and here we are.

So because you didn't want to cause drama you took the choice more likely to cause drama? :psyduck:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

Well, I think this may be the best equipped I've ever been at the end of t1. I'm starting to get TOO hopeful for this cursed. He's smashing so hard already :3

Gonna switch the tool for one of the psychoport torques waiting for me in Zigur before going any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

What is this about drowning myssil? How is it done?

• Locked thread