Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Drunkboxer posted:

Now if you wanted me to identify them based on their pictures that's a different thing. They're all chubby white dudes. I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread in that I prefer it when Chris isn't on, but I kinda feel bad about saying that because it's not like he's bad or anything, I just prefer the other two guys. On the plus side, he does seem to know more about movies than the anyone else on the podcast.

Steve looks exactly like how he sounds and how he describes himself (a nerd comic book former fat kid now fat adult), it really is uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Drunkboxer posted:

That's pretty weird, I've listened to most of them and I don't have a problem. Chris is the nasally guy who dislikes most everything. Eric is the gruff voiced guy who does a lot of jokey jokes and puns, sometime aping Norm MacDonald. Steve is also nasally but his voice is higher pitched he is also (arguably) the funniest. Andrew is the pilot of the whole thing, has the most radio appropriate voice of them all and serves as the de facto straight man a lot of the time.

Steven and Eric are probably tied for me, they're both fantastic and seem really chill about the whole thing. I don't think I've disliked any of the guests they've had either.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

brainsforbrains posted:

Andrew Jupin does play up the indignant anger at overused or corny tropes (it sounds like he's impersonating Lewis Black in his more breathless rants) but hey, nobody's perfect.

I think this is my biggest problem with Chris Cabin. Andrew does this and it's annoying, but he always wins me back with his pronunciations of "deveel" and "jeyooels". I think about podcast hosts too much.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Chris being there is worth it just for the "Chris Cabin, would you get a tattoo of a small house?" joke in Tuff Turf.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The fact that he was even on that episode kind of proves his worth. That's the best one period forever and ever a-men.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Whenever Steve slips into his comic book nerd voice I crack the gently caress up

"MOM YOU HEAR ABOUT ALL THAT MONEY JIM CAREY GOT PAID TO BE THE RIDDLER? THAT'S A LOTTA CHEEEEEEEEESE"

"CAN WE GO TO MCDONALDS?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

Whenever Steve slips into his comic book nerd voice I crack the gently caress up

"MOM YOU HEAR ABOUT ALL THAT MONEY JIM CAREY GOT PAID TO BE THE RIDDLER? THAT'S A LOTTA CHEEEEEEEEESE"

"CAN WE GO TO MCDONALDS?"

He's gonna get that trickle down!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Honestly despite listening to the entire WHM catalog, many twice, I cannot really distinguish any of the dudes.

Yeah, for some reason I have trouble telling them apart too. I think they just have similar speaking patterns and similar voice registers, similar backgrounds, they're probably a similar size, blah blah. On the other hand, Elliot Kalan has like..that squeaky high voice, and the Yeah, it's That Bad guys all had voices of different high-ness and pitch, so it was easier to tell them apart.

In terms of nice radio voices, I think I'd have to rate Alcohollywood as the ones who sound the most like..well..radio presenters, or people on non-comedy podcasts. Then again, it's not as if they spend all of their time reviewing bad movies, so there aren't as many shrieks of indignant rage.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think I'm going to make a project to download all the back episodes of WHM, just in the off-chance some poo poo happens and they all get taken down like Yeah, It's That Bad.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I kind of miss YITB. They may not have known poo poo about movies or how they are made but they had great chemistry and some of their injokes were absolutely hilarious. The beef meter (for hunky men) and "weak, weak man" specifically.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Duke posted:

I kind of miss YITB. They may not have known poo poo about movies or how they are made but they had great chemistry and some of their injokes were absolutely hilarious. The beef meter (for hunky men) and "weak, weak man" specifically.

Also how pleased they were to see Cameron Bright.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
YITB's biggest issue was their weird insistence on those super jarring edits. Like you can tell they were just about to laugh and then you have this edit that seems really weird and out of place.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
And We Hate Movies turns into another We Love Movies. I think I've said this before but there is something strangely appealing about those guys when they do something they actually enjoy and poke fun of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MadScientistWorking posted:

And We Hate Movies turns into another We Love Movies. I think I've said this before but there is something strangely appealing about those guys when they do something they actually enjoy and poke fun of.

I am pretty sure most of this viewer request month will be movies that they like after the horror show of the last one. I mean Boondock Saints 2, Foodfight, Houseguest, and ended it with the amazing Maniac Cop 3.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The tangental bits this week were great. I loved the whole discussion about how you broach the subject of starting a human-hunting service with a potential partner.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Really, all you need to see is Wilford Brimley's name in the cast list and you know its going to be something special.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Vakal posted:

Really, all you need to see is Wilford Brimley's name in the cast list and you know its going to be something special.

Especially Cajun Wilford Brimley.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

The Unnamed One posted:

Especially Cajun Wilford Brimley.
Especially when he does this:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Seriously look at that picture, how can anyone not unironically love this movie?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You forgot the arrow pointing to Brimley that says "this happens in this movie".

e: huh, I guess picture spoilers don't work in quotes.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 19, 2014

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The key to We Love Movies seems to be white guy/brazillian guy karate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Last weeks had Japanese karate. I also liked how on the last one they talked about a trip to Parmistan. They also liked the other surprise Batman movie Tuff Turf.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Didn't they love Chopping Mall too?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hider in the House too.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone who didn't know what that picture would be :getout:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously look at that picture, how can anyone not unironically love this movie?

The first time I saw it, I didn't care for Hard Target. I've come around since then and appreciate the complete absurdity of it combined with the simplicity of the concept. It's on the top tier of cheesy action movies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I never would have thought that I'd be laughing my rear end off at simply referring to a father as Daddy.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

The Duke posted:

I sometimes wildly exaggerate numbers in conversation in their honor.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
To be honest I was a bit disappointed that WHM did a movie for Listener Request that they would have done anyway. I would have preferred they watched something they hadn't heard of, or did another ridiculous Lifetime styled women's drama or..I dunno (I guess I'm really hanging out for someone to review my favourite bad movie, The Watcher.) Mind you, I still really enjoyed the episode - it just seemed like a bit of an easy pick for them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that WHM did a movie for Listener Request that they would have done anyway. I would have preferred they watched something they hadn't heard of, or did another ridiculous Lifetime styled women's drama or..I dunno (I guess I'm really hanging out for someone to review my favourite bad movie, The Watcher.) Mind you, I still really enjoyed the episode - it just seemed like a bit of an easy pick for them.

They have done movies before at listner request month that they would have gone anyways. They just did not have it on the table until now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

You're in luck, we're actually doing The Watcher sometime in April!

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

You're in luck, we're actually doing The Watcher sometime in April!

Oh my god thank you thank you thank you I am SO happy. You have no idea how much joy The Watcher brings me. brb going to draw you some ridiculous fan art or something to say thanks.

Edit - yes I know that was a weird post, but I feel some Speeding Up level kinship with you, as both of us struggled through trying to represent that book. Anyway. The Watcher. I look forward to it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh my god thank you thank you thank you I am SO happy. You have no idea how much joy The Watcher brings me. brb going to draw you some ridiculous fan art or something to say thanks.

Edit - yes I know that was a weird post, but I feel some Speeding Up level kinship with you, as both of us struggled through trying to represent that book. Anyway. The Watcher. I look forward to it.

Hey, if you make Speeding Up-level fanart for it, it will go up on the site, and we will audibly react to it on the show.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Hewlett posted:

Hey, if you make Speeding Up-level fanart for it, it will go up on the site, and we will audibly react to it on the show.

Depending on how much time I have/what I get around to, I can probably make something better than Speeding Up level fan art. But yes! When I make something, you will be the first to know.

Also, in the spirit of Alcohollywood - have you ever tried to recreate a drink that you've seen on screen, and/or tried to sync up your drinking with the character's drinking? I know that there's a drinking game for Withnail and I where you have to match Withnail's drinks (substitute vinegar or vodka for the lighter fluid.) It's a game that would probably kill anyone who seriously tried it, since I think he drinks about 57 drinks onscreen. And then there's stuff like Zodiac, where Jake Gyllenhaal is seen prominently drinking one of the most ridiculous drinks ever imbibed by a man in a non-comedic fashion onscreen.
I also have to assume that if you were to ever review There Will Be Blood, there would be some kind of milkshake based drink involved.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I'm not sure that film posters get worse than this. Explaining the not joke, namechecking two completely unrelated films (and implying that your main characters are whores). Racist as gently caress. Not even identifying one of the actresses on the poster. It's got everything.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I also mentioned this in the Internet Critic thread, but on the topic of bad movies, I'm currently running a Kickstarter for a follow-up to my first book on bad movies: So Bad, It's Good II: Electric Bookaloo. In fact, if you have a bad movie podcast, I've probably sent you a tweet about it today! If you're into watching hilariously bad films, I hope you'll check it out. Heck, if we can raise about five times as much money as I expect to, I'll even start a bad movie podcast of my own (seeing as how there aren't any of those on the Internet yet).

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Al! posted:

I'm not sure that film posters get worse than this. Explaining the not joke, namechecking two completely unrelated films (and implying that your main characters are whores). Racist as gently caress. Not even identifying one of the actresses on the poster. It's got everything.

Speaking of racism, I really wish one of the podcasts would do soul man

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

DrManiac posted:

Speaking of racism, I really wish one of the podcasts would do soul man

BAPS and Soul Man were two movies that comedy central aired constantly for many years, uncomfortably so. I always wondered if that wasn't a coincidence.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Billy Gnosis posted:

BAPS and Soul Man were two movies that comedy central aired constantly for many years, uncomfortably so. I always wondered if that wasn't a coincidence.

Best of all for a long time they were cornerstones of their black history month black comic showcases. Thank gently caress for Chapelle's Show to fill that padding spot out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
For a channel called Comedy Central they sure as hell had possibly the worst selection of movies I've ever seen. I think the highest quality movie they ever did was Ghostbusters 2 and UHF like once or twice.