Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

How do I do that? Right-clicking on either of the printer's entries in Devices and Printers doesn't give that option.

Neither of our computers has the Print Servers tool. Hers (Windows 7 Home Premium) has nothing printer-related there. Mine (Windows 8.1 Pro) has Print Management.

Yes.

What happens when she presses Windows Key + R and types in wiaacmgr.exe & presses the Enter key?

Also, both of your computers do have the Print Server tool.

On your PC, go into Administrative Tools >Print Management >Print Servers and right click on your PC and select "Export printers to a file". Get this file onto her PC.

On her PC, press the Start button. Type cmd in the search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the search - open it. This will launch a black window. Enter the following exactly: printui /s /t2 Find and delete the printer under the Drivers tab. Now click Add. Import the file from your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
All-in-one printers are really two devices in one box that are handled separately. The scanner should show up under "Imaging devices" in Device Manager.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm trying to set up Remote Desktop so I can access my desktop from my laptop while at a friend's house or whatever. Can I check that it worked using my router's IP address while still on that network? I think I did everything right (port forwarding, allowing it through the firewall, etc), and it works when I just give the computer name, but giving it the IP doesn't.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Deeters posted:

I'm trying to set up Remote Desktop so I can access my desktop from my laptop while at a friend's house or whatever. Can I check that it worked using my router's IP address while still on that network? I think I did everything right (port forwarding, allowing it through the firewall, etc), and it works when I just give the computer name, but giving it the IP doesn't.

Get a friend to try, otherwise find an online port scanner to see if it gets a result from that port.

Picked at random http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just setup Hamachi on both and RDP to your hearts desire.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alternately: Teamviewer. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WorkingStiff posted:

What happens when she presses Windows Key + R and types in wiaacmgr.exe & presses the Enter key?

I got a message about there being no image scanner, despite it showing up in Device Manager.

quote:

On her PC, press the Start button. Type cmd in the search box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the search - open it. This will launch a black window. Enter the following exactly: printui /s /t2 Find and delete the printer under the Drivers tab. Now click Add. Import the file from your PC.

I deleted them (eventually; had to uninstall all the Epson crap first), but I can't install from the file created on my computer - it isn't even recognized as the right file format (the dialog is looking for an .inf file).

Implied Consent posted:

This could be a driver issue. I have a Canon networked printer and two machines running Windows 8.1 and I have the same situation. My old machine can't scan into Paint (as well as Photoshop and other apps using WIA). The new machine I just built works fine. The only difference is that on the old one I downloaded and installed the driver package manually and on the new one I just let windows detect the printer and install the drivers automatically.

So I would suggest uninstalling all the drivers and to try to use the drivers from Windows Update (if that's not what you were already doing.)

I'm trying this now. I'll edit when it's done.

Edit: I found drivers through Windows Update, but the problem persists. What should I investigate next?

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 18, 2014

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

hooah posted:

I found drivers through Windows Update, but the problem persists. What should I investigate next?

You downloaded the most recent drivers directly from the Epson website, correct? The only other thing I can think of is to have you share the printer via Homegroup. Type "share printers" or "Homegroup" on the start page of Windows 8, but I don't know how well this will work with scanning, honestly.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Avast's plugin seems to have started to screw with Chrome's ability to load pages (some, but not all). Other browsers work fine, and when in incognito and the plugin is disabled (or just disabling the plugin in normal mode) everything works normally too. Anyone else seen this?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

hooah posted:

Edit: I found drivers through Windows Update, but the problem persists. What should I investigate next?

Did you go to Devices and Printers (with no drivers installed) and click "Add a Printer"? That should scan for and install the printer. That's what I did and it worked for me. I tried it in a Windows 7 virtual machine and it worked there too. (I had to enable checking Windows Update there, though I had probably disabled that previously in my test VM).

Of course I have a different printer, so my experience might not be relevant.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Is there a Remote Desktop management software that doesn't totally suck?

We bought Remote Desktop Manager Enterprise at work, and it takes, no kidding, 30 seconds to start, and the UI looks like some old person has clicked every "install this toolbar?" ad ever invented.

I've used Terminals, but I installed the last version (3.4) and it is very buggy, menu items disappear, it hangs when exiting etc.

Then I tried mRemoteNG which looks neat, but the Active Directory import bugs out after 10 computers.

What do you guys use?

I'm looking for something minimal, with 2-3 different saved credentials, a "connect to: " field where I can enter a computername and if possible, tabbed windows for several sessions. SSH support is neat but not a must.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dameware works pretty good, although we shitcanned them once we got SCCM.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What would be the best way to achieve an alias for powershell.exe so I can just type win-R->ps and open powershell?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Martytoof posted:

What would be the best way to achieve an alias for powershell.exe so I can just type win-R->ps and open powershell?

Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe and put it in C:\windows. Change the shortcut name to ps.

edit: you can place the shortcut in the powershell folder if you don't want to add to the windows folder.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 18, 2014

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Have you considered putting it on the taskbar so you can use win+{n}?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

What's a good iTunes metdata editor for Windows? Something along the line of iFlicks maybe?

All I've seen so far has been super old poo poo that doesn't work.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Create a shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe and put it in C:\windows. Change the shortcut name to ps.

edit: you can place the shortcut in the powershell folder if you don't want to add to the windows folder.
You should be able to put the shortcut anywhere in your PATH, right?

Martytoof posted:

Get Conemu and select "Powershell" from the new console dropdown.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Factor Mystic posted:

You should be able to put the shortcut anywhere in your PATH, right?

Yep. I usually just dump stuff in C:\Windows to avoid changing the PATH var. :effort: Wasn't sure if the powershell directory was part of it by default, but it is. Anywhere else should work too.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

What's a good iTunes metdata editor for Windows? Something along the line of iFlicks maybe?

All I've seen so far has been super old poo poo that doesn't work.

MP3tag for audio files.
TigTago for videos.

I haven't used tigotago much at all, but mp3tag is the beginning and the end of audio metadata editing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GrizzlyCow posted:

mp3tag is the beginning and the end of audio metadata editing.
MP3Tag is an okay basic tag editor, but I'd really recommend MediaMonkey over it if you've got to tag more than a couple of albums. And that's more of an interface thing than anything else.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any simple free windows app that I can make an exact image of a flash drive, like "dd if=/dev/sdx of=blah" would do in linux?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Flipperwaldt posted:

MP3Tag is an okay basic tag editor, but I'd really recommend MediaMonkey over it if you've got to tag more than a couple of albums. And that's more of an interface thing than anything else.

Never thought I'd see someone recommend MediaMonkey for its interface

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

Is there any simple free windows app that I can make an exact image of a flash drive, like "dd if=/dev/sdx of=blah" would do in linux?

There are Windows builds of those exact tools, if you really want that.
Here's what I've used: http://uranus.chrysocome.net/linux/rawwrite/

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 19, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

baka kaba posted:

Never thought I'd see someone recommend MediaMonkey for its interface
It's not pretty, but it has a great amount of functional tweaks in the tagging department, like shortcut keys that make some sense, smart cursor placement when you go from editing one track to editing another, dropdown lists with stuff you entered before, stuff like that. I also never had that thing where I entered tags and -oops- I forgot to hit save. Everything just sits in the database and when you're done you write the whole shebang to all the files. You also constantly have access to a list of all the files you can resort and select from to your liking instead of having to go through a generic windows open dialog over and over and over again if you want to apply tags to different large subsets of files.

Plus it does basically everything MP3Tag does and more. And let's not forget MP3Tag isn't exactly a beauty either.

I just think it's great for tagging. Feel free to have another opinion on the matter.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GrizzlyCow posted:

MP3tag for audio files.
TigTago for videos.

I haven't used tigotago much at all, but mp3tag is the beginning and the end of audio metadata editing.

Neither of these look like they can do it.

MetaX is the closest I found, but it's still lovely and not free.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there an Exchange email program that supports threaded emails like Gmail? Tried Outlook's conversation view and didn't like it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but especially:

zapateria posted:

Have you considered putting it on the taskbar so you can use win+{n}?

.. because I didn't know this was possible and I immediately made this face :stare: when I tried it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there an Exchange email program that supports threaded emails like Gmail? Tried Outlook's conversation view and didn't like it.

I don't know if Thunderbird does Exchange (I would think so), but it definitely has a plugin that does threaded emails like Gmail.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for all the advice everyone, but especially:

.. because I didn't know this was possible and I immediately made this face :stare: when I tried it.

Shift + Win + {number row}

Also opens another copy of the same programme. If there's already one open, it'll switch. Been there since Windows 7.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know any good contact management software that syncs up with Google?

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
Whoever decided that "B/min" was a good counter to include in the resource monitor for Server 2008 is a bad person.

On an unrelated note, is there a counter to track Bytes/bits per second by individual process or end point? Pretty much everything is either a running total or "B/min".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Mulloy posted:

Whoever decided that "B/min" was a good counter to include in the resource monitor for Server 2008 is a bad person.

On an unrelated note, is there a counter to track Bytes/bits per second by individual process or end point? Pretty much everything is either a running total or "B/min".

Does Process Explorer work on Windows Server?

On regular Windows I can add columns to Process Explorer which display "Network Delta Received" and "Network Delta Sent" in B/s.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What's a good, simple utility I can use to monitor cpu temp in 8.1?

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

GreenNight posted:

Just setup Hamachi on both and RDP to your hearts desire.

I was using Hamachi but it has a known bug that will bluescreen Windows 8. My Win8 machine would bluescreen over and over until I uninstalled it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Gnomedolf posted:

I was using Hamachi but it has a known bug that will bluescreen Windows 8. My Win8 machine would bluescreen over and over until I uninstalled it.

I run it OK in Windows 8.1 on my office PC, home PC and laptop.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a calendar program that can sync with Google Calendar and stay pinned to my desktop?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't figure out how to hide an update (Bing Toolbar) in Windows 8.1. In previous versions of Windows I could right click and just "Hide Update." Any help?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It will feed you a couple previous versions. Hide, refresh, repeat, and it'll stay away eventually.

EDIT: Wait, only 7 does that. Weird; I just managed to do that in 8.1 doing exactly what you described.

EDIT 2: It's an admin operation. If you're still using the first user account, and you turned UAC off, turn it back to default; Windows 8 and on auto-deny admin operations if you're using a privileged account with UAC off. ... We're going to be dealing with the fallout of Vista's UAC for decades, aren't we.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 21, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It will feed you a couple previous versions. Hide, refresh, repeat, and it'll stay away eventually.

EDIT: Wait, only 7 does that. Weird; I just managed to do that in 8.1 doing exactly what you described.

EDIT 2: It's an admin operation. If you're still using the first user account, and you turned UAC off, turn it back to default; Windows 8 and on auto-deny admin operations if you're using a privileged account with UAC off. ... We're going to be dealing with the fallout of Vista's UAC for decades, aren't we.

Interesting. So when you use the metro style update in 8.1, you can't do that. You have to use the desktop control panel and then you can right click to hide. Also of note, there were updates in the control panel that were NOT in the metro update center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Oh, METRO update. Probably would have helped to lead with that.

At least it's solved, and we have another capability regression to file with Microsoft.