Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Minidust posted:

I floated the idea of ditching cable to the wife-to-be. I soon realized this will be a losing argument if we can't get Food Network and TLC. Any streaming options for those?

A couple of general questions too:

- Does Hulu have "real time" feeds (like a traditional programmed channel you can just tune in to) or is it purely on demand? I know stuff like Vevo on Apple TV and the upcoming WWE Network have both, but I'm not sure how common that is.

- Do any models of Roku have a sleep timer on them? I don't think my ISP has a bandwith cap, but I don't wanna push my luck and get throttled (I like falling asleep to TV).

Tell her that she will quickly forget about all the poo poo on cable she used to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Tell her that she will quickly forget about all the poo poo on cable she used to watch.

This is true.

I now use a roku with netflix and hulu plus. There is more content available then there is time in my life. I am constantly finding things I would be interested in viewing, when I finish viewing all of what I am currently viewing.

That said there are a few fix your business type reality shows I enjoyed like Restaurant Impossible, Hotel Impossible and a few other similar ones that I can't get through other places. I am sure they are on Amazon, but I was saving money by the change, if I pay $2 an episode I will quickly be back to my dish bill.

Bottom line I don't miss that stuff that much. She will find new content that she will enjoy just as much.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

No on both Food network and TLC. My wife was the same way when we ditched cable. Granted, she missed having an actual DVR for live events more than white-noise channels (yes, I know there are standalone DVRs for this purpose).

And Hulu does not have live streams, to my knowledge.

BigFactory posted:

A lot of cable shows that air on Food Network, etc, can be purchased on Amazon (right through Roku if you're going that way) pretty soon after they air. They're like 2 bucks each. Not a great option. Older seasons are usually free with Prime but not always.

As far as sleeptimer, most (like seriously almost 100%. The only ones I can think of that aren't are like webcam streams) Roku programs are VOD, and they end when they're over. There's no built in sleeptimer that I know of.
Aha, thanks. Probably gonna end up going for a low-tier package at least.

dimmlight posted:

This is true.

I now use a roku with netflix and hulu plus. There is more content available then there is time in my life. I am constantly finding things I would be interested in viewing, when I finish viewing all of what I am currently viewing.

That said there are a few fix your business type reality shows I enjoyed like Restaurant Impossible, Hotel Impossible and a few other similar ones that I can't get through other places. I am sure they are on Amazon, but I was saving money by the change, if I pay $2 an episode I will quickly be back to my dish bill.

Bottom line I don't miss that stuff that much. She will find new content that she will enjoy just as much.
Finding content really isn't the issue though. It's more just having the shows available at the flick of a switch after a long day at work. Or to just to half-watch while cooking/eating/falling asleep/etc. A wealth of content is nice and I totally get the appeal, but there's something to be said for a passive channel that you don't need to actively curate.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Apparently Charter is getting really dumb in my city (Madison, WI) in a few months and they are going all-digital, requiring every TV to have a digital cable box. I'm pretty close to ditching cable altogether, and if there is no way around this bullshit, it will probably be the last straw. We watch the majority of our TV in the living room which already has a box, but none of the other TVs in my house do. This would only be a major issue for the TV in the bedroom where we'd need to get another box. As for the TV in the guest bedroom and basement, I guess we'd need to either get a couple more boxes or just deal with OTA TV, which is less than ideal.

So rather than getting raped by Charter for another $20+/month, I'm wondering if there's a way to convert my existing cable box into a whole-home type thing. Would it be possible to continue to use my existing DVR and simply run the coax out of the box (still connected to living room TV via HDMI) and back down to the basement where I can tap the bedroom/guest bedroom/basement TVs off? So all 4 TVs would be getting their input from the cable box in the living room? I know the HD signal won't transmit over the coax, but I'm wondering if this setup is even possible and, if so, will the signal be unwatchable garbage quality. With this setup I'd also need UHF remotes since 3 of the TVs obviously won't have line-of-sight to the cable box. I assume these UHF remotes exist?

My in-laws have this kind of setup in their house with Dish. They had one HD box in their living room that controls the main TV. And then the cable box spits out some coax down to the basement with a different signal that all the other TVs are linked to. Is this sort of thing possible with cable/Charter?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Minidust posted:

Aha, thanks. Probably gonna end up going for a low-tier package at least.
Finding content really isn't the issue though. It's more just having the shows available at the flick of a switch after a long day at work. Or to just to half-watch while cooking/eating/falling asleep/etc. A wealth of content is nice and I totally get the appeal, but there's something to be said for a passive channel that you don't need to actively curate.

That's the one thing that VOD doesn't do. I probably watch less TV because of it. You get used to it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

Apparently Charter is getting really dumb in my city (Madison, WI) in a few months and they are going all-digital, requiring every TV to have a digital cable box. I'm pretty close to ditching cable altogether, and if there is no way around this bullshit, it will probably be the last straw. We watch the majority of our TV in the living room which already has a box, but none of the other TVs in my house do. This would only be a major issue for the TV in the bedroom where we'd need to get another box. As for the TV in the guest bedroom and basement, I guess we'd need to either get a couple more boxes or just deal with OTA TV, which is less than ideal.

I have Charter and last week I turned on my box and all the "regular" channels were now HD. Like channel 13 used to be SD while 768 was the HD version; now they are the same. I got really worried that this meant my SDTV in my bedroom and basement would no longer work, but they work just fine somehow, no boxes or even a digital tuner required. Your situation could be different, but maybe the same thing will happen for you and that's what they mean by going "all digital"?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Going "all digital" is not a problem for any TV with a ClearQAM tuner (so almost any TV manufactured in the last 8-10 years). In fact it will result in a better picture for a lot of channels, as wa27 noticed.

Now if your provider starts encrypting channels - yes you will need a converter box. I'd say wait it out until they make the switch and see if you lose service before going for the nuclear option. Also a lot of providers will usually send letters notifying subscribers if they are encrypting channels to let you know you need to pick up converters.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
It sounds like Charter is legitimately going all-digital. All my TVs are HD and can currently pick up the HD versions of the local stations straight off the coax. From what I understand, these are the ClearQAM channels. From Charter's press releases, it sounds like its pretty clear that you will 100% be required to get a box for each TV.

From doing a little Googling, it looks like Charter has already done this in some areas and will be doing it in St. Louis and Michigan. It does say all customers will notified by mail at least 30 days prior to the switch, but that seems like a pretty short notification window and I'd think a shitload of people would get really pissed when their TV stops working all of a sudden. And even if you wanted to get new boxes for all your TVs, that's a pretty tight timeline to get all that ordered/installed.

Here is the article in the local paper: http://host.madison.com/business/ch...c17c39f9cb.html

St Louis: http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/charter-cable-to-require-set-top-boxes/article_29a6a2c8-e5ad-5ffe-9f4b-b6af780e3748.html

Michigan: http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2014/01/charter_communications_goes_al.html

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mr Executive posted:

It sounds like Charter is legitimately going all-encrypted.

C'mon man, at least read what I posted. It's an important distinction to make.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

C'mon man, at least read what I posted. It's an important distinction to make.

When you put all digital in quotes, I somehow thought you were implying that they weren't really going digital and were doing something else. After re-reading, I don't know how my brain came to that conclusion. In any case, you're right, it looks like Charter will be all-encrypted. Some forum post I found had some people claiming that the current local channels (on ClearQAM) would stop being transmitted too. But them somebody said they were required by law to transmit the local channels in ClearQAM, but I don't know if one or both of these people are full of poo poo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Until recently - yes they were. The FCC ruled last year that cable ops can encrypt local stations since it will cut down on piracy. Sadly many people seem to think that free OTA HD includes those same channels being free when transported over a cable network. In reality the charges for any "basic" type cable package are covering costs for retransmission fees and maintenance (you would be amazed at how much TLC a cable network needs).

I would imagine most cable ops are going to go all encrypted before too long for just this reason. I'm sure a lot of people won't like it but the cable operator's position is not completely without reason.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

Until recently - yes they were. The FCC ruled last year that cable ops can encrypt local stations since it will cut down on piracy. Sadly many people seem to think that free OTA HD includes those same channels being free when transported over a cable network. In reality the charges for any "basic" type cable package are covering costs for retransmission fees and maintenance (you would be amazed at how much TLC a cable network needs).

I would imagine most cable ops are going to go all encrypted before too long for just this reason. I'm sure a lot of people won't like it but the cable operator's position is not completely without reason.

Dont understand how many arguments ive had with people, that just because hooking your cable line up to your tv and getting channels works, doesn't mean its not considered cable theft.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Train them to say "I thought that this wire connects to the antenna on the roof? :confused: "

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Dont understand how many arguments ive had with people, that just because hooking your cable line up to your tv and getting channels works, doesn't mean its not considered cable theft.

I set up my in laws like this, they are a little technology naive, so my mother in law called the cable company and specifically asked them. The rep sort of laughed and was like "whatever". I get this is not justifying it, but it's funny that they basically got permission from the provider. It doesn't work now, though, I guess they encrypted it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I set up my in laws like this, they are a little technology naive, so my mother in law called the cable company and specifically asked them. The rep sort of laughed and was like "whatever". I get this is not justifying it, but it's funny that they basically got permission from the provider. It doesn't work now, though, I guess they encrypted it.

Yes nothing they can really do about it except encrypt.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So assuming this all goes through and Charter goes all-encrypted, am I just going to have to suck it up and get more boxes for the other TVs? Is my plan of powering all the coaxial jacks in the house off the coax output of my one cable box feasible? Will this produce terrible/unwatchable picture quality? If this is something that could work, do they make UHF remotes for cable boxes?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

So assuming this all goes through and Charter goes all-encrypted, am I just going to have to suck it up and get more boxes for the other TVs? Is my plan of powering all the coaxial jacks in the house off the coax output of my one cable box feasible? Will this produce terrible/unwatchable picture quality? If this is something that could work, do they make UHF remotes for cable boxes?

Do they charge for the little decrypting box?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Do they charge for the little decrypting box?

Yes. Each box costs $7/month. So I would be looking at another $21/month to get three more boxes for the other TVs in my house (or get antennas/etc and live with OTA).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

Yes. Each box costs $7/month. So I would be looking at another $21/month to get three more boxes for the other TVs in my house (or get antennas/etc and live with OTA).

So the box you have no choice but to use costs $7 a month? Pro-consumer indeed!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr Executive posted:

Cable boxes cost $7/m. But do the basic basic DTA's? They are the size of playing cards now. For comcast they are free for 2 years if you already had basic cable and $1.99 after.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Should a Roku 1 be an adequate model if I'm just gonna throw it on an old SDTV? I see the 2 has improved wireless capabilities, but I'm not sure if SD streaming would actually benefit from that.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Cable boxes cost $7/m. But do the basic basic DTA's? They are the size of playing cards now. For comcast they are free for 2 years if you already had basic cable and $1.99 after.

I don't think Charter has DTAs. I can't find anything when Googling and the press releases don't mention that possibility.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes nothing they can really do about it except encrypt.

There's always diconnecting your line or trapping it appropriately but that depends on how much the technician gives a poo poo. :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

There's always diconnecting your line or trapping it appropriately but that depends on how much the technician gives a poo poo. :v:

Don't think they can trap clearqam.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Don't think they can trap clearqam.

Sure you can. Just cut the frequencies the channels ride on -> porblem solved

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

Sure you can. Just cut the frequencies the channels ride on -> porblem solved

Yea I guess so, I guess I've just never seen it done for digital TV frequencies.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Yea I guess so, I guess I've just never seen it done for digital TV frequencies.

THat's going to be highly dependent on the provider. TWC here in central Texas has QAM channels all across the spectrum, some sitting right next to analog channels. Plenty of other providers are mapped differently for sure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

I have my antenna connected via coax to a TV Capture card (Happauge 1600 I think) in my HTPC (Windows Media Center) and I use it for DVR. If I get one of those boxes and switch to basic cable, will I be able to use my WMC and TV card? I wonder if they hand off coax or HDMI and if it's QAM or whatever. I have FIOS now if it matters. Maybe I should call them?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have my antenna connected via coax to a TV Capture card (Happauge 1600 I think) in my HTPC (Windows Media Center) and I use it for DVR. If I get one of those boxes and switch to basic cable, will I be able to use my WMC and TV card? I wonder if they hand off coax or HDMI and if it's QAM or whatever. I have FIOS now if it matters. Maybe I should call them?

No, DTA's are just cable boxes but really really small. Most are only SD also though you can get HD ones in some markets (with hdmi obviously).

They dont actually decrypt the signal and send qam out, they are just super basic cables boxes without on screen guides or anything. To use with WMC you would need to use a capture card with hdmi or composite input and ir blasters.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Minidust posted:

Should a Roku 1 be an adequate model if I'm just gonna throw it on an old SDTV? I see the 2 has improved wireless capabilities, but I'm not sure if SD streaming would actually benefit from that.

I would say as long as it supports Wireless G standard, you could push standard def through it, probably even some HD, depending upon wireless conditions and compression. The internet pipe coming in has more bearing on it than the internal wi-fi speed, unless you're streaming from within the network. (plex, etc)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would running Plex Media Server on an SSD have any benefits over a traditional hard drive if all my media is accessed remotely via Apple TV and Roku? The SSD in my server just died and I'm considering if I should just go back to mechanical if there's no real benefits.

The only thing I think might be useful is possibly serving up artwork quicker but I don't know if it cached on the device at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like the network or the transcoding is a lot more likely to affect Plex's performanc than the speed of the HD.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Would running Plex Media Server on an SSD have any benefits over a traditional hard drive if all my media is accessed remotely via Apple TV and Roku? The SSD in my server just died and I'm considering if I should just go back to mechanical if there's no real benefits.

The only thing I think might be useful is possibly serving up artwork quicker but I don't know if it cached on the device at all.

No. Your hard drive isn't the bottleneck for streaming and transcoding.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For those of you who are using Bing Rewards to get Hulu Plus for free, I had a quick question.

I just had my subscription renew at the beginning of this month. I got my subscription code the other day. Can i go ahead and add my subscription code now or should I wait until it is closer to my next month's renewal?

To those who used my referral link to Bing Rewards, thanks so much! This makes hitting those marks so quickly. I would say to get that information out to everyone as quickly as possible. In the matter of a month, I have gotten 3 months of Hulu for free.

I was wondering a question though. Previously I had thought about suspending Hulu for the summer time when shows are just reruns. If I add my Hulu months to my account and then suspend the account, will I lose all those months?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Is it possible to get Youtube captions to show through the Roku using the Plex Media Server?
I haven't seen any settings that suggest it's possible but I thought I'd check.

Also, I have a 2 XS so I can't use the official Youtube channel yet. Is it possible to enable captions on the official Youtube channel at this point?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I've cancelled my Xbox Live subscription and need a good solution for getting Netflix and Youtube on my living room TV. Since it's less than the one year Live renewal would have been, is Chromecast one of the better options for me?

e: I will still be using TVersity for streaming local content so I've got that covered.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teeter posted:

I've cancelled my Xbox Live subscription and need a good solution for getting Netflix and Youtube on my living room TV. Since it's less than the one year Live renewal would have been, is Chromecast one of the better options for me?

e: I will still be using TVersity for streaming local content so I've got that covered.

So long as you have a phone or tablet that can run Netflix then a CC is the best option for it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Finally broke down and bought a Tivo Roamio after trying a Boxee with HDHomerun Streaming, a Raspberry Pi with Openelec, a SimpleTV, and a Windows Media Center HTPC (also tried MediaPortal) to watch live TV. Just set it all up, and I'm impressed by how fast it switches channels, and it picked up a few that I've never seen before. Going to play around with it a bit more, but so far it looks good.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Finally broke down and bought a Tivo Roamio after trying a Boxee with HDHomerun Streaming, a Raspberry Pi with Openelec, a SimpleTV, and a Windows Media Center HTPC (also tried MediaPortal) to watch live TV. Just set it all up, and I'm impressed by how fast it switches channels, and it picked up a few that I've never seen before. Going to play around with it a bit more, but so far it looks good.

Can the Tivo Roamio do network videos? I see on the website it does "My Movies" but I couldn't find any detail on it playing video from a NAS or anything over the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ShadowStalker posted:

Can the Tivo Roamio do network videos? I see on the website it does "My Movies" but I couldn't find any detail on it playing video from a NAS or anything over the network.

So far, the only thing I've seen is using pyTivo to do something with that. I haven't messed with it yet, sorry.

I have found one major flaw, though. Apparently they disabled RSS feeds for the Roamio line. If you go to https://www.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?def=tco.webvideos.page, there are some podcasts that you can subscribe to, and there's a custom RSS feed input at the bottom. However, it appears that it doesn't work, and if you try to let them know about new feeds to add, that link is broken. That sucks, because I really enjoy the HD interface and the speed of flipping OTA channels, along with having Netflix, OTA, Hulu, and Youtube on the same box (having the Roku with SimpleTV was close, but man was SimpleTV slow on the Roku 3 for me when it wasn't rejecting all my hard drives.) No idea why they took that away.