Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Because we have to hear about it forever just like Danica's pole last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah, it's not suprising, nearly all the ECR engines were in the top 10 and you can bet your loving rear end pap pap only put the best in DA3

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BMB5150 posted:

Who cares about qualifying as if it really matters by lap 2 or last year turn 1.

Exactly, so why not get a car on the pole that will create the most publicity going into the 500?

Personperson14 posted:

Yeah, it's not suprising, nearly all the ECR engines were in the top 10 and you can bet your loving rear end pap pap only put the best in DA3

And NASCAR put the best restrictor plate in it ;)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 17, 2014

Elfforkusu
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

drat, NASCAR isn't even remotely subtle about it anymore. How loving obvious, gently caress this sport.

Put an E at the end of NASCAR for Entertainment.
They can ditch the S too!

NACARE!

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Don't hate it makes ya look dumb. All of RCR is on their poo poo at plate tracks like SHR was last year when Danica won the pole. Nascar didn't do poo poo, the entire team is clearly on another level and of course AD is at the top of the food chain

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Don't hate it makes ya look dumb. All of RCR is on their poo poo at plate tracks like SHR was last year when Danica won the pole. Nascar didn't do poo poo, the entire team is clearly on another level and of course AD is at the top of the food chain

You only say that because RCR supplies your engines. ;)

Seriously, good post man.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

leica posted:

And NASCAR put the best restrictor plate in it ;)

Serious question because I'm dumb, are there any standard protocols in place to ensure that restrictor plates are distributed in a truly random, incorruptible fashion?

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Serious question because I'm dumb, are there any standard protocols in place to ensure that restrictor plates are distributed in a truly random, incorruptible fashion?

Yes. NASCAR has much more to lose than gain by ever allowing a serious suggestion of Something like that that to occur. At the very worst they might let something pass tech that could be considered very grey in the rulebook, but nothing like violating one of their own cardinal, unforgivable sins of loving with the motor.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Yes. NASCAR has much more to lose than gain by ever allowing a serious suggestion of Something like that that to occur. At the very worst they might let something pass tech that could be considered very grey in the rulebook, but nothing like violating one of their own cardinal, unforgivable sins of loving with the motor.

The ghost of Jimmy Spencer / McDonald's sponsorship looms.

For you youngins

quote:

At the time, Johnson's driver was an energetic, inexperienced, and occasionally reckless youngster named Jimmy Spencer, who was nicknamed "Mr. Excitement" for his wild, aggressive driving. But Spencer enjoyed little success with Johnson's team, and his sponsor, McDonald's, was rumored to be leaving the sport. NASCAR desperately wanted to avoid McDonald's departure. To lose a big-name like McDonald's would be bad for business, and many believed NASCAR would do almost anything to keep the fast-food giant in the sport.

Out of nowhere, Spencer suddenly won back-to-back races at Daytona and Talladega in mid-1994, two restrictor-plate races where a resourceful man like Johnson could work his magic. Though never proven, the prevalent rumor at the time was that Johnson's Ford carried an illegal intake manifold, much like the one Hoss Ellington had come up with a decade earlier, which allowed the car to make extra horsepower.

The theory was that NASCAR knew the car was illegal but looked the other way, hoping a couple of victories would convince McDonald's to stay in the sport. In the end, McDonald's stayed as both a car sponsor and, more importantly, an "official status" sponsor, which means the hamburger chain paid NASCAR a seven-figure annual sum to be able to call itself "the official fast-food of NASCAR."

The conspiracy theorists argued that their point was proven the following February at Daytona. The manifold that was on Spencer's car in 1994 when it won the only two races of his career was declared illegal at the 1995 Daytona 500, when car owner Johnson was fined $45,000 and his crew chief Mike Beam was hit with a $10,000 penalty for not having the inset portion of the intake manifold welded on. Incensed by what he perceived as the ever-increasing influence of politics and corporate interests in the sport, as well as the ever-closer scrutiny cars were receiving in inspection, Johnson would sell his team at the end of 1995 and retire to his farm in Wilkes County, North Carolina.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 17, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I agree that NASCAR (probably) wouldn't gently caress with restrictor plates, that comment was tongue in cheek, but I would not put it past them to look the other way during inspection if it suits them. I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the slightest, I'm not a hater (I have loved this sport for decades), and I shouldn't look dumb for questioning NASCAR's motives. The loving drivers question their motives all the time! The posters in this forum do as well!

I don't like bringing this up a lot in these threads, but I was a member of the NASCAR media (photographer) for three years. I heard stories from veteran photographers and writers about some of the poo poo that goes on, they ALL sounded like a bunch of conspiracy theorists to me at first, but as time went on I started to really wonder about poo poo. Especially when I would hear the same stories from different people, people that I had become friends with that were respected photographers. I dunno man, maybe I'm jaded? The sport I used to love sucks now so maybe that's part of it. Guess I just need to stop paying attention completely.

[edit] I'm not saying that it's a fact that NASCAR helped the #3 to the pole, but it sure as hell is possible.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 17, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any of you kids old enough to remember the :tinfoil: that DEI was given a "help" to ensure Jr would go well at the Restrictor plate tracks in the 8?

Well.. and Mikey too I guess.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
NASCAR and the WWF should merge and have the drivers wrestle for starting position.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Nascar always gives the "advantage" to the entire team to make it look like the whole team is doing well :tinfoil:

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

leica posted:

I agree that NASCAR (probably) wouldn't gently caress with restrictor plates, that comment was tongue in cheek, but I would not put it past them to look the other way during inspection if it suits them. I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the slightest, I'm not a hater (I have loved this sport for decades), and I shouldn't look dumb for questioning NASCAR's motives. The loving drivers question their motives all the time! The posters in this forum do as well!

I don't like bringing this up a lot in these threads, but I was a member of the NASCAR media (photographer) for three years. I heard stories from veteran photographers and writers about some of the poo poo that goes on, they ALL sounded like a bunch of conspiracy theorists to me at first, but as time went on I started to really wonder about poo poo. Especially when I would hear the same stories from different people, people that I had become friends with that were respected photographers. I dunno man, maybe I'm jaded? The sport I used to love sucks now so maybe that's part of it. Guess I just need to stop paying attention completely.

[edit] I'm not saying that it's a fact that NASCAR helped the #3 to the pole, but it sure as hell is possible.

Oh I don't disagree at all, i'm sure plenty of shady poo poo goes on in the garage re: tech, but there's plenty of ways for NASCAR to confer an advantage to an already strong team if it suits them without touching the plate. I don't put many things past them if they're hellbent on advancing a storyline, but I specifically think that the plates are not something they'd gently caress with, especially given that they don't really need to use that avenue if they want to help somebody. Plenty of other ways to skin that cat

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Imagine if a car went into the stands and a federal investigation found a variance like that.

Conspiracy theories in NASCAR tend to fall apart like truther ones do, for much the same reasons. The people in charge are incompetent, not evil. From my life in the corporate world, I can tell you that the two look remarkably similar.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Imagine if a car went into the stands and a federal investigation found a variance like that.

Conspiracy theories in NASCAR tend to fall apart like truther ones do, for much the same reasons. The people in charge are incompetent, not evil. From my life in the corporate world, I can tell you that the two look remarkably similar.

If, NASCAR was truely fixed, there'd be no way Dale Jr. would have been this irrelevant this long.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

I wish they had been incompetent about things like reeling sponsorships away from cars to put them in as a series 'official' sponsor. Whenever it comes to money (TV Rights, track revenue, sponsorship, simpson lawsuit) they always seem to come out on top.

Sucking on track product is terrible to watch, but when they blow up their own TV Rights records everything is running well for them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

If, NASCAR was truely fixed, there'd be no way Dale Jr. would have been this irrelevant this long.

Heh.

Just watched the clash, an entertaining race and denny time :cool:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

I wish they had been incompetent about things like reeling sponsorships away from cars to put them in as a series 'official' sponsor. Whenever it comes to money (TV Rights, track revenue, sponsorship, simpson lawsuit) they always seem to come out on top.

Sucking on track product is terrible to watch, but when they blow up their own TV Rights records everything is running well for them.

If we, as idiots, see them being dumb by sucking money up like mad, doesn't that then make them even more stupid for doing it?

FuzzySkinner posted:

This, but harder. Why not plant the WMD's yourself?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is the Battle at the Beach tonight? I need K&N and Modified clownshoes.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Tomorrow, on Fox Sports 2.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
No one is talking about the Danica bewb?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

lol

:nws: http://imgur.com/hTNoXzv :nws:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

mmmmmm Seem like someone intercepted a Stenhouse only picture. Oops.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BMB5150 posted:

mmmmmm Seem like someone intercepted a Stenhouse only picture. Oops.

Released by Sports Illustrated of all places.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh boy can't wait to hear about this all week

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wait she has boobs?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Good job Sports Illustrated!

edit: apparently it was taken in 2008. This whole thing is odd

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 18, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Released by Sports Illustrated of all places.

:laffo: That's spectacular.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Cannot wait for The King to add his two cents on that teat. You know the man's seen quite a few flashed at him in his day and to this very day.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
really

loving really

this week of all times

:negative:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

you did this, remember that

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think it's possible that in the past, there's been some sort of manipulation.

Hell, take a look at what happened with Wendell Scott back in the day.

But the gang up at Daytona Beach is pretty incompetent when it comes to most things.

They seem to be (like Uncle Jam said) very skilled in lining up Exclusive Sponsors, and TV Contracts.

But then you watch the races themselves and they seem very out of touch in terms of ways to:

a.) Excite the base.
b.) Lure outsiders to watch the sport.

lulz.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The biggest problem they have is the tech guys are all as smart as the crew guys. Put a couple loving idiots in the tech line and poo poo would get magical.

SRA give a couple some comic books next time, that's what Smokey said he did.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"I'm not the big story at Speedweeks, huh? Watch this..." :laffo:

VikingSkull posted:

really

loving really

this week of all times

:negative:

Wait until her career is teetering on the edge of oblivion and the sextape is magically revealed.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I like how Y'all whining about NASCAR and fixing.

Its like not one of you remember when I posted, a month ago, that RCR has been cheating at plate racing for 25 years and hasn't needed NASCAR's help. They didn't need it this past weekend either.

Just calm the gently caress down. By sunday and JJs 4th 500 win, it will be all about his death march to a 7th title.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That boob pic looks like a photoshop to me, how could you see any nipple at that angle? It just looks off.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

This loving thread.

edit Mods if you please,

NASCAR 2014 (Spring): how could you see any nipple at that angle?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

GUYS DERRIKE COPE IS RACING IN THE NATIONWIDE RACE.

1990 DAYTONA 500 CHAMPION DERRIKE COPE!

https://twitter.com/DadofLiamB/status/435585060968726528/photo/1/large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

leica posted:

That boob pic looks like a photoshop to me, how could you see any nipple at that angle? It just looks off.

Bags of sand.

• Locked thread