Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh

Lonk posted:

So living story was seriously made up in 2 days by 2 awful people? Jeez no wonder. That actually explains a lot. I'm hopeful for the future though since they seem to acknowledge the living story was not great and they're reworking how they do these updates now.

Living story updates have been basically 5 minutes of "story" (dialogue) every two weeks. So you're right , it totally isn't surprising that the plot took less than 48 man hours to put together. But, the actual gameplay they've put in has been top notch.

I mean, if you are playing a game for the story, you are playing something like the witcher 2 or last of us, not this. To be fair, anet does seem to be pretty good at world building, just not storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lonk posted:

If Scarlet is indeed able to be fought to the death by the end of this, we as goons have a moral obligation to finish her off with jars of bees.
And celebrate with fireworks afterwards.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mercurius posted:

And celebrate with fireworks afterwards.

Whoa. Jerkjerk doesn't like fireworks. Can't do that.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Visidan posted:

First 30 seconds of the invasion were posted on scarlets facebook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vR0DhK55G4

That was a glorious day. Culled karka in their dozens instagibbing scores of pubbies, lagged and desynced players bleeding to death on the ground, crying for aid or release, only to rise again at the nearest waypoint.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Asheron's Call portal storms. I want a company to bring portal storms back to mmos.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think LA will probably remain as a combat zone forever.

So Scarlet's mark will remain in the game forever even if she's dead.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

FrozenDorf posted:

That was a glorious day. Culled karka in their dozens instagibbing scores of pubbies, lagged and desynced players bleeding to death on the ground, crying for aid or release, only to rise again at the nearest waypoint.

Karka event was the best, gently caress this instance poo poo bring on the lag.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
LA tomorrow:
:regd08:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Alteisen posted:

I think LA will probably remain as a combat zone forever.

So Scarlet's mark will remain in the game forever even if she's dead.

I'm just thrilled at the idea of displaced idiots having to go to other cities now, as long as they don't go to DR or Rata Sum.

Bring it on Arenanet I am ready for your terrible living story.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

McSlaughter posted:

LA tomorrow:

Can some patriot live blog it for those of us who will be working?

Setanta
Feb 6, 2010

Ussr posted:

gently caress I need to move my newbies out of LA before tomorrow.

Just did this today - 15 characters moved to Rata Sum in the hope it doesn't become the new LA. I sent the few that didn't have Southsun through the portal too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In honour of the end of Lion's Arch, I added a new shield to my collection:

Also this wouldn't be happening if you fucks didn't elect Kiel, long live Gnashblade.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The elections where rigged you dope.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Setanta posted:

Just did this today - 15 characters moved to Rata Sum in the hope it doesn't become the new LA. I sent the few that didn't have Southsun through the portal too.

I think that Divinity's Reach will become the most popular of the racial cities. People tend to avoid Rata Sum despite it having an awesome layout.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Suppose all those Kiel tokens all the white women people were wearing were rigged, too!

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CLAM DOWN posted:

In honour of the end of Lion's Arch, I added a new shield to my collection:

Also this wouldn't be happening if you fucks didn't elect Kiel, long live Gnashblade.
Shield_excuses.txt

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So who else is hyped for the update? I know I'm just setting myself up for disappointment but I have a feeling that these last 2 updates are going to be good.

Do we actually have any details on what we're getting though?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm expecting the dragon to be some huge thing on the level Tequalt and nobody but the super sperg servers will be able to beat it.

And seriously, Kiel's fractal ties directly into Scarlet, proof that the elections where rigged from the start. :colbert:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Alteisen posted:

I'm expecting the dragon to be some huge thing on the level Tequalt and nobody but the super sperg servers will be able to beat it.

And seriously, Kiel's fractal ties directly into Scarlet, proof that the elections where rigged from the start. :colbert:

I figure they would have just poo poo up the Abaddon fractal with Scarlet, too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Do people still do the Wurm event?

I think Teq and the Marionette were the hardest they should make these open world events. Even Marionette still fails way too often.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CODChimera posted:

Do people still do the Wurm event?

I think Teq and the Marionette were the hardest they should make these open world events. Even Marionette still fails way too often.

Maybe Blackgate and Desolation, but not any other to my knowledge, don't think any other server killed the wurm either.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Wurm gives awful rewards for the effort it needs, remember in GW2 the harder something is the worse the reward is.

Marionette was almost perfect apart from not letting pods help each other once they killed their champ, they decided on the ally buff for technical reasons (I bet it was scaling issues) but it aint as good. I think Marionette and wurm phase 1 was a step in the right direction for difficult bosses, phase 2 of wurm not so much.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I'm pretty new to this style of mmo...What should I be doing to level as fast as possible as a lvl~30 warrior? Is there a certain area of the world which is the best for this? Also, what are dungeons/raiding/fractals? Can I do any of this stuff at level 30? The game is starting to seem sort of boring because I never see anyone out killing stuff where I am and I just run around by myself soloing...

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Guest to a higher pop server, start doing dungeons at 35, you can also craft and do WvW. Fractals is also possible but doesn't give much XP.

Make sure you're in a good guild.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anderron Shi posted:

I'm pretty new to this style of mmo...What should I be doing to level as fast as possible as a lvl~30 warrior? Is there a certain area of the world which is the best for this? Also, what are dungeons/raiding/fractals? Can I do any of this stuff at level 30? The game is starting to seem sort of boring because I never see anyone out killing stuff where I am and I just run around by myself soloing...

Join a guild and do map completion with another human being.

Do dungeons (Ascalonian Catacombs opens with story at 30, and explorable at 35 I believe) or anything else with other humans.

Basically play with other humans. Or do some crafting while chatting with other humans.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I have a guardian and a warrior, both level 30, and I just don't find either of them that fun or engaging to play, even though I always play melee in basically every game that there is the option. It's almost like I really want to enjoy this game but I'm just missing something if that makes any sense? I figure I'm not playing a fun spec/weapons or class or something.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
You're missing out on traits and skills at that level. Go play them in spvp with different builds, weapons and trait setups, try some other classes too they all have melee options cept engineer (kinda)

My experience at 80 in pve atleast is that a guard is more fun than a warrior but a warrior is easier to play.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Behold, the clipthrough armor set:

(Yes my character eyebrows are clipping through the helm that's right.)

DonVincenzo fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 18, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there any good website to read about these kinds of updates when they get announced? The guild wars 2 site is poo poo for read ups most of the time I find.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Bob NewSCART posted:

I have a guardian and a warrior, both level 30, and I just don't find either of them that fun or engaging to play, even though I always play melee in basically every game that there is the option. It's almost like I really want to enjoy this game but I'm just missing something if that makes any sense? I figure I'm not playing a fun spec/weapons or class or something.

Try them out with the combat mod (AHK script that enables mouselook and attack/dodge with LMB/RMB respectively, amongst other things) and see if you like them any better.

For me playing melee classes is a blast thanks to it, it completely changes the dynamics. It doesn't work nearly as well for ranged/casters though.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Aleph Null posted:

Can some patriot live blog it for those of us who will be working?

Someone please do this.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I'm making the push to get my thief to 80 today. My intent is to make him a WVW roamer who can gently caress up and/or annoy the poo poo out of people because he's an asura and that seems like something he'd do. Anyone have suggestions on where I should be going with builds?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Erdricks posted:

220 ish? With 115% you still should be getting pretty good loot. Here's my short guide to farming gates of arah:

(1) Be a guardian
(2) Use [Wave of Wrath] (staff 1)
(3) Trait 30 virtues for permeating wrath + supreme justice
(4) Trait 10 valor for meditation mastery
(5) Spam staff 1 and smite condition as fast as possible.
(6) Collapse under your loot.

Trip report: oh my god this is amazing, I popped MF food and ran 2x arah/melandru and came out with over 100 bags + bucket loads of other stuff and some rares too (no exotics but I wasn't really expecting to get those anyway).

Time to try again today with the birthday booster and MF booster :getin: (they do stack, right?)

Now I feel kind of stupid I wasted 2 birthday boosters on leveling alts :(

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

DonVincenzo posted:

It's not the armour you deserved, but it's the armour you needed.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Well, if you're not going anywhere you might as well esport.

...it's more beautiful than I ever imagined.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

motherbox posted:

I'm making the push to get my thief to 80 today. My intent is to make him a WVW roamer who can gently caress up and/or annoy the poo poo out of people because he's an asura and that seems like something he'd do. Anyone have suggestions on where I should be going with builds?

Are you good at positioning and patient after blowing your initial burst? Then D/D or D/P could work. Are you less than good at positioning and willing to fight a single person maybe an hour or two? Then P/D are your weapons of choice. The D/D D/P backstab builds are fun but they are harder. I dont like weapon sets without stealth so I'll let someone else sell you on those.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

DonVincenzo posted:

Nice use of banded shoulders, not feeling the draconic legs though. Think you would look better with some pants.

Some new screenshots of the patch here http://massively.joystiq.com/photos/escape-from-lions-arch/#!slide=2434240 spoilery maybe. Looks real cool.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 18, 2014

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I have to maintain a proper airflow though otherwise things happen...

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
http://massively.joystiq.com/photos/escape-from-lions-arch/#!slide=2434240

I really hope that it's gone for good. I do not wish to rebuild that garbage pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I want to rebuild the lion fountain in my home instance. :(

• Locked thread