Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Whiteycar posted:

For those who got the Steelcase Gestures I'd love to hear your thoughts after a couple of weeks of use.

I would love to once mine actually ships :|

(Ordered on the 5th, order status is still "fulfilling order" despite all my F5s to the contrary :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isthisonetaken
Sep 9, 2011
College Slice

Chow-King posted:

Did your Gesture come with adjustable lumbar support? I see it as a $20 option on other sites, like sit4life.com, but I don't see it offered on Steelcase's website. Sit4life.com doesn't charge sales tax so I'm leaning towards purchasing in that direction but I don't want to pay an extra $20 bucks if it's not really an option offered by Steelcase on their Gestures.

I know this is a bit late, but I just got my Gesture today, and the brochure that comes with it mentions height adjustable lumbar support, and shows a little tab on the edge of the back of the chair, right in the middle of the lumbar arch. Now, my chair doesn't actually have this little tab, but the fact that it's in the brochure suggests that it might be an option?
Might be worth calling steelcase if you haven't purchased yet.

edit: this is the brochure http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/gesture/documents/gesture_user_guide.pdf

isthisonetaken fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 17, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

isthisonetaken posted:

I know this is a bit late, but I just got my Gesture today, and the brochure that comes with it mentions height adjustable lumbar support, and shows a little tab on the edge of the back of the chair, right in the middle of the lumbar arch. Now, my chair doesn't actually have this little tab, but the fact that it's in the brochure suggests that it might be an option?
Might be worth calling steelcase if you haven't purchased yet.

edit: this is the brochure http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/gesture/documents/gesture_user_guide.pdf

Yeah, the lumbar height adjustment is optional on the Gesture. I'd really recommend getting it, people have widely varying back shades/torso lengths, and it's pretty cheap to add.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Does Herman Miller enjoy loving with people who want to buy their loving chair? I ask for a price quote from someone locally, they claim that Herman Miller offers even less colors/options than Herman Millers own loving website claims. Oh and even with taxes/shipping it's cheaper than online. I just want a chair and not get it at gently caress you prices.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It sounds like you need to try a different dealer. My local guy took the time to show me all the fabrics and options even though it was only a 1x order and the price was untouchable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Does Herman Miller enjoy loving with people who want to buy their loving chair? I ask for a price quote from someone locally, they claim that Herman Miller offers even less colors/options than Herman Millers own loving website claims. Oh and even with taxes/shipping it's cheaper than online. I just want a chair and not get it at gently caress you prices.

You aren't their target market - big corporations are. They don't care about selling one chair to some guy - they want to fill up brand new shiny office buildings with millions of dollars of Herman Miller desks, paneling, workstations, accessories, and seating. Those color options may only be available for bulk purchases.

As for online prices, there's something called "Minimum Advertised Price" (or MAP) policy. It exists in a lot of different industries, but it's very common with furniture and seating. Basically retailers/dealers have a limit on how low the prices they advertise can be (online or otherwise). It prevents dealers from severely low-balling each other. If you ask for a quote directly, they often can give you a MUCH lower price that they're still making good money on.

Sometimes you'll notice a lot of online retailers will have the EXACT same price, and no one will be advertising a lower price. That's because of the MAP policy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HA they figured it out. They were looking in their small business database, which didn't include some fabric choices/wheels. Looks like it'll be $1170 with balance fabric,translucent casters white frame, arms. Yeah don't buy online.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You aren't their target market - big corporations are. They don't care about selling one chair to some guy - they want to fill up brand new shiny office buildings with millions of dollars of Herman Miller desks, paneling, workstations, accessories, and seating. Those color options may only be available for bulk purchases.

As for online prices, there's something called "Minimum Advertised Price" (or MAP) policy. It exists in a lot of different industries, but it's very common with furniture and seating. Basically retailers/dealers have a limit on how low the prices they advertise can be (online or otherwise). It prevents dealers from severely low-balling each other. If you ask for a quote directly, they often can give you a MUCH lower price that they're still making good money on.

Sometimes you'll notice a lot of online retailers will have the EXACT same price, and no one will be advertising a lower price. That's because of the MAP policy.

Smartfurniture gave me $1300 as their name your own price offer. Office Design $1275 (and that was without the $40 white frame). That being said they were the lowest I could find for my Ekornes recliner. (only because of a 5% off coupon that actually applied)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 18, 2014

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
I'm heading out to meet a guy tomorrow that is selling a used Aeron B at a really amazing price because he's moving Friday. Obviously, aside from sitting in it myself to make sure it's a good fit, is there anything I should inspect to make sure it's in good shape? He just lists it as having scuff marks on the arms and the pictures make it look like it's in great shape but I just want to make sure I have my bases covered.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Over the weekend I met a man at a McDonald's, cash in hand, and bought an embody out of the back of his truck for 800. Even without making any adjustments, it's very comfortable. I feel like I'm going to be playing around with the back curvature for a while, though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheJeffers posted:

I think I posted something similar a while back, but here are my thoughts after about a month of ownership.

I used to have a Global chair that cost about $200. It had a few adjustments, including arm height, back angle, and seat angle, but no seat depth adjustment or seat back angle adjustment independent of the seat angle. The arms were fixed width unless you wanted to get out a wrench and undo some bolts. I owned it for about 8 years, and in that time the soft vinyl arms started to fall apart, a cosmetic fascia on the back fell off, and the open-cell foam padding on the seat stopped offering any support at all. After long sessions of sitting in it, my rear end and legs were often achy and unhappy, and the flat, upright back encouraged slumping, slouching, and other bad postures. In short, it looked and felt comfortable on the showroom floor, but it was pretty bad in use.

Enter the Gesture. I was sold on it due to the extremely adjustable arms, the generous amount of recline, and the edge-to-edge padding of the seat. When it arrived, there was an adjustment period where my lower back was pretty unhappy with the chair, but I stuck it out because I knew that my posture was objectively terrible in the past and that there was naturally going to be a transitional period when I switched to sitting correctly. This discomfort faded after about a week.

I think the highest compliment I can pay the chair is that I don't notice it at all in use. It completely supports my body in the correct posture for typing and mousing and doesn't get any less comfortable with time. It's also the first chair I've owned with arms that don't aggravate my carpal or cubital tunnels. The arm design initially scared me because they're flat and not especially padded, but I can always have them set up to maintain the proper shoulder/elbow/wrist angles so that there aren't any pressure points happening.

I'm very pleased with it overall. The only weaknesses I would cite are that it doesn't offer adjustable lumbar support or seat angle, and that the somewhat aggressive built-in lumbar support structure pulls the back of my shirt up when I sit down or lean back. Other than those minor gripes, it's great.

For reference, I'm 6'0" and about 200 lbs.

I just got mine last night, and pretty much echo these comments entirely. I found the armrests really comfortable, and the adjustments are great to get them to just the right height and angle to match up to my desk. Coming from lovely officemax special chairs, the back on this one is by far the largest positive difference. It's just lightyears better. I've tried Leaps before, and the back on this chair feels much more substantial than the Leap does. The other good part is the flexible edges of the seat. It's a big improvement over stuff like the hard plastic edges on an Aeron's seat.

One thing that I think will take a lot of getting used to is the lack of seat angle adjustments. I was used to the typical style of chair where the seat and back both recline at a fixed angle (Like this: ). Not exactly optimal, but I'd still like a bit of adjustment on the seat just to angle it upwards a couple of degrees. After a while I probably won't notice this though.

Only potential downsides I can think of is if you're a really tall person torso wise, since the back isn't height adjustable. It's built in to the frame, so you get what you get in that regard. That said, it wasn't a problem for me at all (Also about 6' ~200 pounds).

Shipping the chairs fully assembled also owns pretty hard!

Pictures ("Blueprint" color, platinum frame with seagull accents):

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After fiddling some more, I think one of the best things adjustment wise is just setting the tension on the back to the high end of the range. It makes it really easy to relax in to a slight recline, while the angle is still just right for the seat's back support to stay molded to your spine pretty well. Usually I'm more of an awful goon that just sets stuff like that to the lowest resistance since my default stance is reclining all the way.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

First day of work on the new Leap. Definitely a huge, huge improvement. The biggest difference is that I feel well supported even when I'm reclining, which lets me switch up my seating position from upright to leaned-back throughout the day to avoid fatigue. Zero complaints from my injured lower back so far. If this chair holds up it'll definitely be $750 well spent.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For anyone considering a Steelcase Think then just go for it. I bought 5 a year ago off eBay for £500 and ended up selling 3 and more than paying for the lot, so I have a couple left for myself. Don't be put off by the relative lack of adjustment, you really don't need it. I use it on the first half-recline setting with the most tension, and however I decide to sit on it, whatever weird angle I want to lean at I always find the seat back is there to support me. Not experienced any pain at all in my back since switching to this chair, whereas on the tilting-seat-and-back special I had before it was fairly regular.

Would love to move up to a Gesture but I think I'll need to convince work to do that.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So uh...

http://www.madisonseating.com/editing-product-leap-chair-by-steelcase-black-friday-special.html

Should I be jumping all over this?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Its madisonseating; they are mentioned multiple times in this thread as being a gamble. Maybe you get what you ordered, maybe they send you the wrong thing or lose it in the mail and expect you to eat all the costs. Maybe its wrapped in newspaper before being shipped via catapult, but thats only if you believe customer testimonials.

The url even has 'black friday' in it, its not like this is an actual sale.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's a Leap V1. If that price was for a Leap V2, yes, you should be. But as-is that's just an average price.

To boot, it's "open box", not new - and with Madison Seating, who knows what the hell that means.

Edit: Also notice that their normal price is exactly the same as their supposed "black friday special": http://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-by-steelcase.html

No wonder they didn't bother to take it down.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 6, 2014

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
Recently picked up an Embody directly from Herman Miller. I wanted to point out that their customer service is excellent. I was shipped a busted chair—most likely damaged in transit—and within five minutes of emailing Herman Miller they responded saying they put in an order for a replacement. No twenty questions, no forms to fill out, no bullshit.

I had a bit of a scare on the replacement chair thinking the height adjustment was broken, turns out on the initial adjustment you just have to push the lever really, really hard. I actually emailed customer service about this, and again they were speaking with me in less than five minutes, ready to put in another replacement order as a matter of fact. The rep mentioned that you had to be really aggressive with it the first few times before it breaks in, and although I felt like an idiot, the lever is just a cheap piece of plastic and I was pushing it hard enough that I felt I could break it. The cold weather must've frozen something in shipping cause that can't be right. It does work fine now that it's broken in.

Sylvyfish fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 11, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is $99 worth it for a Steelcase Criterion? Think its an older version, and as you can see, it has an ugly as gently caress teal and beige color scheme. The colors might be enough for me to pass on it, but the place selling them is only like 5 minutes away.

[edit] Now with picture

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 8, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That's pretty similar to my desk chair at home (except for the color) and it kicks rear end, so I would say yes.

You could try haggling them down though.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Looking for a cheaper Steelcase on craigslist and I found this:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/fud/4386692399.html

Any way to tell from the pictures whether or not it might be legitimate? It's tough to compare to the photos on Steelcase's site.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, those are Leap V1s alright. No real way to fake it.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, those are Leap V1s alright. No real way to fake it.

Yeah, the black one was a V1. He ended up having some V2 and I grabbed one. I'm still playing with all the adjustments, but it's already a million times better than the crappy Staples chair I've been using for seven years.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
This forum really has a thread about everything and anything.

Well I'm getting sick of my cheap chairs and decided that it was ridiculous to spend a couple thouthand bux on computer every other year and rest my mighty butt on a 30£ ikea piece of garbage.
Not that I am ready to spend more than a grand on one of those Embody or Gesture.

Here on Ebay UK I can find :
Used Aeron for about 450£ (or 750$, I bet you can get brand new ones for that price in the US)

Refurbished fabric Leap for about 200£
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...=item4d1af74dfa

Refurbished leather Leap for about 350£
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...=item4d1b6d18e4

I like the Aeron because it looks neat and it's in Mesh, usefull in summer. Though some people here seems to think it's garbage.
I like the Leap because and cheap.

Do you think it's a good idea getting a refurbished leap or is there a serious risk of the fabric being cheapos/badly adjusted ?
Beside the Aeron, are there any good mesh chairs ?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd want to see the refurbished ones in person really before making a decision, some of them look like someone's taken some poo poo fabric and stapled it over the top of whatever was there before. Those two look like they've been quite well done though.

Steelcase Thinks regularly go for under £200 - I bought 5 for £500 delivered a couple of years back and they were in great shape. It's not quite as nice a chair as the Leap v2 but still very nice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man I ordered this euro bungie chair a couple years ago for $170 and now it's $270, gently caress. Trying to get one for a friend.

I see this one is $240.

There's also a couple $200 options. Did these things just go up in popularity or what?

I'm not completely set on the bungie style office chair just looking for a good office chair

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the Container Store has a model for less than $200. That said, there's no reason to get hung up on bungie chairs, there's nothing about them that makes them better office chairs than anything else.

Also, you're probably not going to get a really good office chair for $200, especially if it's one you're going to be using 6+ hours a day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh I don't mind spending for quality. Just sucks the same chair I bought is $100 more.

I guess one of the big appeals to me for bungie chairs is that they're so open for ventilation and such. No goony butt funk.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
those things hurt my rear end even when I was skinny

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Christoff posted:

Oh I don't mind spending for quality. Just sucks the same chair I bought is $100 more.

I guess one of the big appeals to me for bungie chairs is that they're so open for ventilation and such. No goony butt funk.

Steelcase mesh chairs seem to stay cool for me.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If looking to buy a steelcase leap in the UK. Why is it so hard to find a place that stocks them on the internet?

I'm considering second hand but none of the places I can see that offer them new even have a price list?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Jippa posted:

If looking to buy a steelcase leap in the UK. Why is it so hard to find a place that stocks them on the internet?

I'm considering second hand but none of the places I can see that offer them new even have a price list?

There are some on Ebay.
New and decently priced office chair seems extremely hard to find in Europe though.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Would National Office Liquidators still be a decent place to pick up a Steelcase Leap? I've noticed a lot of the emphasis on the thread is on ordering from ebay or getting a new chair, but that's not an option for me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Would National Office Liquidators still be a decent place to pick up a Steelcase Leap? I've noticed a lot of the emphasis on the thread is on ordering from ebay or getting a new chair, but that's not an option for me.

I looked over their site, and they're pretty up-front about the state of their chairs - they actually have a photo of each one instead of just a generic stock photo, so that's a bonus. Just keep in mind what you should know about ANY place that sells used chairs - you're not getting a warranty, and you might have no idea just HOW old the chair is.

I'd recommend getting a leap V2 (I see 2 of out of the ~20 Leaps on their site are V2s) even though it's $100 more, as it has an updated design and it's bound to be a newer chair. This one looks like a good bet: http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/steelcase-leap-v2-used-task-chair-gray

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I looked over their site, and they're pretty up-front about the state of their chairs - they actually have a photo of each one instead of just a generic stock photo, so that's a bonus. Just keep in mind what you should know about ANY place that sells used chairs - you're not getting a warranty, and you might have no idea just HOW old the chair is.

I'd recommend getting a leap V2 (I see 2 of out of the ~20 Leaps on their site are V2s) even though it's $100 more, as it has an updated design and it's bound to be a newer chair. This one looks like a good bet: http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/steelcase-leap-v2-used-task-chair-gray

I jumped on this, thank you so much!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chair finally broke today. Lucky thing Thursday was payday

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bfs/4414164287.html Steelcase THINK $300
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/fuo/4449402149.html Herman Miller Aeron $440
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/fuo/4463546386.html Herman Miller Mirra $300

What say you all, keep looking or take one of these? (Keeping in mind that I'm a fat guy :smith:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 10, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The $300 Mirra is a hell of a deal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Caged posted:

The $300 Mirra is a hell of a deal

Mirra acquired, looks in good shape. :woop:

(edit) oh my god lumbar support yesssss

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 10, 2014

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What sort of prices are deals/steals for used versions of the commonly recommended chairs like the Mirra, Aeron or Leap V2? For example, used Aerons seem to go for $350 to $450 here in Minneapolis. If the size is correct, should I jump on anything less than $400? $350?

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anyone try ordering from this site? Seems like a good deal for a leap v2 but I'm not sure how shady or legit these guys are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Been needing to get a new chair for a while - I've actually quite liked this cheap-ish one I got from Office Max (or Depot, who can keep them straight?) years ago, but the padding is getting too worn out. I'm still hesitant to spend too much on a chair, so I was initially looking at the IKEA Markus, but their fabric versions only come in silly colors that I hate. Today I found a listing on CL that's close(ish) to me for a "like new" Herman Miller Embody for $500, and I'm really tempted. Apparently Herman Miller warranties aren't transferrable though, so I wouldn't have access to the 12 year warranty. It seems quite a lot of people buy these used, so I figure I'd ask - has anyone had to get out of warranty repairs on their HM chairs (not necessarily the Embody which is still pretty new)? I mean it should still be a very high quality chair, but it does give me a bit of pause for if something goes wrong.