Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Rumors are abounding of an RS3 compound change due to occur with the next shipment. They're supposed to give better cold & wet grip than the present compound, but will be otherwise identical, and identifiable only by looking at the date code on the sidewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

grover posted:

Rumors are abounding of an RS3 compound change due to occur with the next shipment. They're supposed to give better cold & wet grip than the present compound, but will be otherwise identical, and identifiable only by looking at the date code on the sidewall.

This would be amazing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also stamping 200 on the sidewall for treadwear.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

200 treadware were already available, no?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TrueChaos posted:

Sort of; Hankook just came out one day and said the 140TW thing was just marketing, but that they REALLY passed the 200TW test so they're totally OK to use for all those motorsports competitions that require 200TW tires.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

grover posted:

The problem is no one has any idea when the next shipment will come thanks to hankook. And I'm sure the new batch will be more than 199CAD/set.

In other news someone asked tire rack about the ZII star specs,

quote:

Re: ZII "Star Spec"

Straight from Tire Rack gents:

"Hi Matt,

There is a ZII Star Spec about to be released to the Japanese market. It is a slight compound tweak as I understand it. We do not expect to get the tire in the states this year, or at least not in enough time for being included in this year's competition approved tires. No date to offer yet, it usually takes a season before a new tire is exported for sale in the U.S.. That is as much as we know right now. Hope this helps."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just a refresher to everyone who hasn't heard this in TYOOL 2014: Hankook sends some shipping containers to Hankook USA, and Hankook USA has no idea what's in those shipping containers until they open and inventory them.

The future is upon us.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Phone posted:

Just a refresher to everyone who hasn't heard this in TYOOL 2014: Hankook sends some shipping containers to Hankook USA, and Hankook USA has no idea what's in those shipping containers until they open and inventory them.

The future is upon us.
Yea... still waiting for the 255/35/18 RS3s to show up. If they don't have any update by the 26th, I am going to have to call Summit Racing and go with the NT05s (edit: Discount Tire has them for cheaper)

nollij fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 19, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Get Z2s or Rivals instead.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Phone posted:

Get Z2s or Rivals instead.

We already went through this in this thread. Neither of those can handle heat from track use.

Blah blah blah for all the other extreme summer performance tires and my own special reasons for not wanting to use them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'll be sure to tell that to everybody else I see this year running Rivals, including myself.

I know that the NT05 is an older compound and probably isn't nearly as sticky as the current batch of Extreme Performance summers (Z2, Rivals, R-S3s), that's the only reason why I mentioned it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 19, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

I'll be sure to tell that to everybody else I see this year running Rivals, including myself.
Light cars no care about tires.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Phone posted:

I know that the NT05 is an older compound and probably isn't nearly as sticky as the current batch of Extreme Performance summers (Z2, Rivals, R-S3s), that's the only reason why I mentioned it.

I'll definitely agree that NT05's aren't the current cat's meow and can't hang with the current rubber compounds, but Z2's or Rivals on the track? Lemme get some of that grease to slick back my hair with.

Outside of inhouse testing, I haven't exactly seen results that sway me to spend more on a tire (rivals) with so-so results after a proper heat cycling. Unless you're min/maxing (200utg vs 140utg) things for points, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

On top of that, the delamination horror stories make the last F1 tire switch look tame.

Though, consider me biased, I just had my sets of RS3's arrive for the year.

:getin:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

They were already available in a limited amount of sizes last summer along with the 140TW ones.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
If you had a choice of a free track day at either Texas Motor Speedway or MSR in Houston which would you choose and why?

I'm in Austin so they are literally the same distance drive for me. I know nothing about them and which, if either, is considered better by drivers.

Details: If you buy a new Abarth(don't laugh. It was really loving cheap) Fiat throws in a free track day within the first year of ownership as part of their 'Abarth Experience'. Who am I to not take advantage? I was told they are trying to do it at CotA in the fall but as it's not set in stone I've gotta pick one of the above this Spring.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/chasingtarmac/status/436290799567785984

So pumped. This will be the first time I'm driving at the 12hr and not just crewing.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Kill-9 posted:

If you had a choice of a free track day at either Texas Motor Speedway or MSR in Houston which would you choose and why?

I'm in Austin so they are literally the same distance drive for me. I know nothing about them and which, if either, is considered better by drivers.

Details: If you buy a new Abarth(don't laugh. It was really loving cheap) Fiat throws in a free track day within the first year of ownership as part of their 'Abarth Experience'. Who am I to not take advantage? I was told they are trying to do it at CotA in the fall but as it's not set in stone I've gotta pick one of the above this Spring.

MSR Houston. It's a decent little road course with a highly technical back section that should be a blast to drive in something nimble like an Abarth. (I've driven this track and speak from experience here). TMS, on the other hand doesn't have much in the way of a road course configuration, so you will either be on a very short infield course or a roval config that is mostly nascar oval. (I haven't driven TMS, so going by info I can find).

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

MSR Houston. It's a decent little road course with a highly technical back section that should be a blast to drive in something nimble like an Abarth. (I've driven this track and speak from experience here). TMS, on the other hand doesn't have much in the way of a road course configuration, so you will either be on a very short infield course or a roval config that is mostly nascar oval. (I haven't driven TMS, so going by info I can find).

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking from looking at maps. MSR looked more interesting. I will book MSR in April. Play down there on Wednesday then head up to TMS for the Pate Swap Meet on Thursday.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is this a good place for chat about manufacturer sponsored events?

I signed up to do the 'Stingray Precision Drive' event out at Fontana Speedway (AAA?) next week, and it will be my first actual track day experience. I'm sure that it will be heavily marketing focused, but it sounds like it will have at least one session of follow the leader with an instructor up front and event attendees following behind for multiple laps.

Do events like this tend to suck and would I be ill advised to attend, or is 'hey drive a new Vette on a track, ignore the marketing hype' a good mindset to go into this with?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do events like this tend to suck and would I be ill advised to attend, or is 'hey drive a new Vette on a track, ignore the marketing hype' a good mindset to go into this with?

It's a way to play with someone else's 'vette on the track for free. Hell yes you should go.

Events like this tend to be highly curated - afterall they're letting total noobs out in serious machinery and they want both the people and cars to finish the day in the same condition they started. But if you don't have any track experience to begin with, you probably won't find that limiting anyway. And manufacturers do these events because they want the performance of the car to speak for itself - it's not like sitting through a timeshare presentation to get free parasailing tickets. They'll talk up the car and the local dealer, but nobody will pressure you to buy one that day.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's a way to play with someone else's 'vette on the track for free. Hell yes you should go.

Very worth going if it's free. I did the Cadillac CTS-V one at CotA last fall. There was zero sales presence/pressure. It's a bunch of manufacturer people who genuinely love the cars and want to show them off. Got to drive the CTS-V coupe and wagon for a few laps each plus the ATS.

My instructor was a GT3 racer and she was a blast to drive with. Halfway through the first lap her comment was "You aren't paying for brakes and tires. Drive harder." So I did. I braked so hard into turn 12 that it broke/unplugged the telemetry rig on the car so I didn't get top speed, gps, and g-force info for the next two laps. :)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post about the experience here. It seems like it is easy to get a code, so anyone in SoCal who wants to thrash a new Vette for free, check out the official page here.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Super lovely edit of my autoclub speedway day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIGKtq6Nik

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

aventari posted:

Super lovely edit of my autoclub speedway day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIGKtq6Nik

Those laps look pretty nice. Next time you're out there perhaps try double apexing turns 5 and 6 (i.e. carry more speed coming into T5, trail brake, clip apex around midway, let the car come out to about halfway across the track while trail braking the whole time, flick left, clip T6, take advantage of the huge wide runoff on the exit). This is one of my favorite passing spots on the track (hate doing it on the banking) :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Nice thanks, I'll try that! That was probably the corner I had the most difficulty with. Other than that T9 was a bit tricky to trail brake into and late apex right and the rest were simple

The laps at the end of the vid I was just loving around with a hanging the tail out for the benefit of my passenger

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Thinking of going to the Extreme speed day at Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile. Videos on YouTube look pretty fun, I could probably keep the car in 3rd the whole way around too lol. Anybody been on that track?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I thought this was a good article about WRL: http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/...torsports?.html

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Thinking of going to the Extreme speed day at Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile. Videos on YouTube look pretty fun, I could probably keep the car in 3rd the whole way around too lol. Anybody been on that track?

If you've been to streets of willow, it's pretty much the first half with heaps of late apexes and elevation thrown in; it's a blast for getting seat time and working on off-camber inputs and low speed cornering. If you're in a kart or drift missile, it's nothing but smiles, but if you're in just about anything else, it just might feel like a minute long autox course.

YMMV but, I wouldn't pass up big willow or streets for horse thief mile.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Does ice racing go here? I'm not driving in the series this year, but will be next year, just helping out for now. Cars involved have to be taken off the road - not plated, no insurance - and it's a 3 hour enduro, specific number of required fuel stops and driver changes. Three classes, AWD FWD and RWD. Contact happens. Have some copter footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyURVxUwIc

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Remember how we were talking about harnesses and stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

Here's a rally crash where only the codriver is wearing a hans.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

drgitlin posted:

I thought this was a good article about WRL: http://sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/...torsports?.html

I enjoyed it, especially the hard truths about SCCA's own control issues, really could have done more than deify WRL at the expense of intentionally never mentioning Chumpcar. LeMons is a great stepping stone to get cars built and masses of people in them, Chumpcar is another stepping stone towards making the racing more of a centerpoint, and WRL takes that idea further. It would have been far better in that article to use that as a progression rather than the snub. Sure, Chumpcar is and has been entirely mismanaged with regards to internal politics and respect towards staff, and WRL really seems to be the next iteration of the idea, but really it is far more positive than that article makes it seem.

note: I am involved tangentially with WRL, and I'm definitely not saying that it is any less awesome than it is, but more that snubbing Chumpcar is and never was the goal, though some people seem to not understand that part fully.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jamal posted:

Yeah, but were they wearing 4 point harnesses!?!?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

Well gently caress me that looked painful.

I got some OMP ergonomic neck braces for myself and passengers for this years track runs. I am hoping they will work well enough if they have to.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

nollij posted:

I got some OMP ergonomic neck braces for myself and passengers for this years track runs. I am hoping they will work well enough if they have to.

:suicide:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Exactly, if it doesn't say SFI 38.1 (or FIA 8858), its a neck donut to keep the static weight of your helmet off your head.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Got my NecksGen Rev recently. I have friends with the old and new HANS and also the Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage. Hopefully I never need to test it.

http://www.necksgen.com/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DJ Commie posted:

I enjoyed it, especially the hard truths about SCCA's own control issues, really could have done more than deify WRL at the expense of intentionally never mentioning Chumpcar. LeMons is a great stepping stone to get cars built and masses of people in them, Chumpcar is another stepping stone towards making the racing more of a centerpoint, and WRL takes that idea further. It would have been far better in that article to use that as a progression rather than the snub. Sure, Chumpcar is and has been entirely mismanaged with regards to internal politics and respect towards staff, and WRL really seems to be the next iteration of the idea, but really it is far more positive than that article makes it seem.

note: I am involved tangentially with WRL, and I'm definitely not saying that it is any less awesome than it is, but more that snubbing Chumpcar is and never was the goal, though some people seem to not understand that part fully.

I'm probably about as tangentially involved with WRL as you are and agree with that :D

I do really like the fact that we finally have somewhere to race without the word crapcan coming into it. I get that for some people, ChumpCar is about taking an awful piece of poo poo and putting a roll cage in it, but at the same time, others of us want to take it a bit more seriously.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

DJ Commie posted:

Exactly, if it doesn't say SFI 38.1 (or FIA 8858), its a neck donut to keep the static weight of your helmet off your head.

Eh. My car still has crumple zones and I figure it is better than nothing. Nothing is what most people wear. One guy in TT went head first into a wall last year and his neck was pretty sore until he took a handful of aspirin and had a beer.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You know that other people also put bath salts in their butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

DJ Commie posted:

I don't really know anything about the subject -- why'd they make us wear those neckbraces in LeMons and Chumpcar if they don't offer any protection?