Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
N
Z - Reach terminal velocity +1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

Sojenus posted:

Do a flip.

Do a flip, also turn hunger into an art form, become Asherah.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Oh thank god, I didn't miss my chance to vote to G: Fall Stylishly.

Some people seem to have assumed that 'do a flip' is a different vote. This is merely the mad portion of the great Sojenus' mind failing to grasp the letter system. Do A Flip is a subsection of G, anyone voting otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I vote that only Sojenus' vote be counted.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

I vote that only Sojenus' vote be counted.

Sojenus is insane, he's only hallucinating our votes, we are him. Being him, we are insane, and only imagine that we aren't. Him. Or insane.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Welcome to Diogicana.
Please make your vote choice
Followed by thee post button now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTTfgu5prY

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Dio I'd like to spend just one day in your head, just to see what it's like.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Outrail posted:

Dio I'd like to spend just one day in your head, just to see what it's like.

I wonder how many people will wait for something to happen because they think this is a .gif

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sojenus posted:

Do a flip.
You do a series of spectacular flips which would win you a gold medal at an olympics with ease.

If you were at the Olympics.

You are currently falling through an endless abyss.

Just in case you forgot.

Sojenus posted:

I would also like to issue a decree that every time a person/spirit/entity/etc. falls from any higher elevation to a lower elevation, a tax (a very reasonable tax, I assure you) is due, to be paid to my court. I work hard to ensure that falling remains a predictable and understandable phenomenon throughout all realities and sub-realities etc., but operating costs have risen recently and the books must be balanced.
You do so.

You imagine that you are praised by the media and all of your people for your brilliant state craft and incredible political acumen.

Then you realize you were hallucinating all of that.

You keep falling.

We may update tonight but I may need another day.

I am turning the game over to Sojenus till the next update.

Sojenus guidelines. For his eyes ONLY!

1. You are a spirit, immortal and unable to harm yourself in any way.
2. But still need to breathe and feel hunger. You cannot experience arousal.
3. Apparently you are surrounded by a pocket of air. The physics of this makes no sense but it seems to be the case.
3. Anything you see, hear, smell, touch or otherwise experience in any way beyond your body is ultimately a hallucination.
4. You are naked.
5. You keep falling. Downwards. At terminal velocity.
6. See #4 above.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 18, 2014

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I just finished reading Madgod. Bravo Diog. It was amazing to see how all of these serious minded posters in Ur were just wacky goofballs in Akkad. Amazing read. Never stop letting us Choose Our Own Adventures, please.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You decide to break into the third person, and many of the voices in your head congratulate you on your fine decision.

You make a mental note to fire them, yes-men never helped anyone.

The pressure of leading a hallucinatory empire and keeping it in a state of hallucinatory prosperity would typically be a crushing amount of constant stress, but fortunately, you're already falling, and if popular opinion sways and the Sword of Damocles came down on you it wouldn't be able to catch up. You feel great about your superiority over a literary device.

Secure in your position from threats within your entirely fictional realm in the void, your gaze turns outwards past the borders of the eternal void to lands beyond. Near as you can see they look pretty much the same, black and empty and all that, so you feel pretty solid about things all in all. Perhaps you need to bolster your not real garrison of fake soldiers in the event that nothing that actually exists threatens your imaginary realm, but decide against it. There has been a near perpetual shortage in the granaries for the past all the time, and you need to keep up the numbers of pretend agricultural workers just in case one of them manages to grow some real food. Might happen, you've got faith in the imaginary citizens in your head and you're assured of their devotion to the empire.

You resolve to take advantage of this brief moment of partial lucidity and have a conversation with the one actual thing keeping you company through this wonderful experience. The air around you.

If it even is there. The only thing you're pretty sure about existing is yourself, although you had a wonderful couple of millennia a while back in which you had yourself thoroughly convinced you didn't exist. It was very relaxing. But being the only not-you thing around here, you're pretty suspicious of the air.

You think about what to ask it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Chat about the weather.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"How 'bout this weather, crazy eh?"

The air avoids making eye contact and seems uncomfortable.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ask about the air's family

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sojenus posted:

You make a mental note to fire them, yes-men never helped anyone.

You object entirely to this new form of address. While such methods may have their uses, it is essential to the mental health of the Imperial mind to maintain a strict distance between the ruled and the rulers, so as to be certain that you are, in fact, you while you are conversely mere figments of your imagination.

You see what you mean? Endless chaos and confusion! You beg yourself to revert immediately to the first-person mode of address.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Does my falling through you hurt?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

"So how's your family doing? I heard your eldest just got married, congratulations."

The air doesn't respond. You worry that something bad may have happened recently to it's family and you're making things awkward by trying to bring it up.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ask the air if it's ready to get back together yet. You two had a good thing going, a couple millennia ago. You both know it.

That incident with the void meant nothing.

Isn't it time to forgive and forget?

Isn't it?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You tire of referring to yourself in third person, but unfortunately any measures to alter this will have to wait until you hire a new advisory committee in order to ensure the proper protocols are followed for such narrative alterations, as the last was fired for excessive brown-nosing.

You silently agree with yourself that it's pretty lame.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
In order to ensure that the Empire receives the best possible guidance and to help relieve you of some of the many burdens of leadership, you would like to propose an emergency proposal to immediately hire a new advisory committee consisting of you, yourself, thou, and a representative from the air.

While you realize it may be unorthodox to include that which is not-you within your governing councils, you believe it is time to face reality and accept that the air is your only true foreign ally against the void, which you recognize as being the greatest threat to national security. Besides, you believe that it would be an excellent preliminary to furthering diplomatic relations to the point where you might conceivably annex the air (which, you are informed, is a necessary first step to growing real food).

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You consider asking the air if you're hurting it and that's why it refuses to make any decent conversation like a polite person would, but it makes you consider a couple things.

You're fairly sure you've hit terminal velocity, which is a function of air resistance.

So there's three possibilities that follow.

The void itself is full of air. It's not actually a void. If it's existed forever and has a near homogeneous distribution of air dense enough to breath, then why has none concentrated enough to cause formation of astronomical objects? There would be an infinite amount of objects present in the infinite void, and so far you've hit nothin'.

You have a small amount of air surrounding you and falling with you at the same rate as your terminal velocity. Somehow. If you need to breath it, then how have you not run out of fresh air by now? Is this an open system? Maybe there's a plant over there you can't see. Also falling. And would this pocket of air as a whole be subject to a terminal velocity if it's falling through a void? What resistance would it encounter?

Or there's no air at all. You're not really sure if you even need to breath anyway, although base psychological urges keep you from trying to kill yourself by self-suffocation. The many times you've tried you just get a sore throat for a while. But then how would you have hit zero acceleration if there's no drag force?

None of this makes any sense and so you wave your arms wildly flipping off everything around you.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

You send notice to the various aspects of your personality to meet to create a new advisory committee. A representative from the air is also requested, but some of the advisors are worried that not sending a similar request to the void would be seen as a diplomatic insult.

You tell them to shut up since you rule the void anyway gosh have none of you been paying attention to all those void-ish god like powers?

Just watch this:

See? Nothing happened. Perfect control of void.

You wait for the air dignitary to arrive.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Briefly ponder how the cost of your falling tax will irrevocably cripple your economy. Even if the tax is inversely proportional to the distance you fall, anything greater than zero times infinity is infinity.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

One of your advisors didn't read their handbook and you remind them to consult the GOAFFMP guidelines for progressive taxation and cut-off points within the various Fall Brackets.

Regardless, an infinite fall is not an issue. As the fall never ends, the proper tax payment can never be calculated, and therefore no payment is ever required. Considering a sample size of one (1) for infinite falls has been observed thus far, the GOAFFMP committee decided this was an acceptable situation.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Jester Mcgee posted:

I just finished reading Madgod. Bravo Diog. It was amazing to see how all of these serious minded posters in Ur were just wacky goofballs in Akkad. Amazing read. Never stop letting us Choose Our Own Adventures, please.
I am glad you enjoyed it!

Sojenus. When the envoy for the air arrives, take it hostage and demand from the air a giant bird you can fly to Kush!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
No, the time for threats is over. We must reconcile a two-state solution along with the air.

Grovel before the air representative and plead for a helicopter.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Sojenus posted:

You consider asking the air if you're hurting it and that's why it refuses to make any decent conversation like a polite person would, but it makes you consider a couple things.

You're fairly sure you've hit terminal velocity, which is a function of air resistance.

So there's three possibilities that follow.

The void itself is full of air. It's not actually a void. If it's existed forever and has a near homogeneous distribution of air dense enough to breath, then why has none concentrated enough to cause formation of astronomical objects? There would be an infinite amount of objects present in the infinite void, and so far you've hit nothin'.

You have a small amount of air surrounding you and falling with you at the same rate as your terminal velocity. Somehow. If you need to breath it, then how have you not run out of fresh air by now? Is this an open system? Maybe there's a plant over there you can't see. Also falling. And would this pocket of air as a whole be subject to a terminal velocity if it's falling through a void? What resistance would it encounter?

Or there's no air at all. You're not really sure if you even need to breath anyway, although base psychological urges keep you from trying to kill yourself by self-suffocation. The many times you've tried you just get a sore throat for a while. But then how would you have hit zero acceleration if there's no drag force?

None of this makes any sense and so you wave your arms wildly flipping off everything around you.
Team :spergin:

This tells you that you are not falling, or rather that you are resisting the Manifest Truth of Falling. And yet of course you are falling, since falling is all of existence and you have persuaded yourself that persuading yourself you don't exist was amusing, but ultimately a waste of whatever time used to be before you were infinitely falling for all of eternity. So if you are both falling and not falling perhaps it is not you at all. Perhaps this imaginary Air is pretending to fall and conspiring to have you believe you are falling.

And yet falling requires the memory of not falling. Do you have such a memory of not falling, probably expressed as a positive attribution rather than a negation of falling? Without such reference falling only is. There is no is and is not about it. If it is everything in this way it is also no thing.

You may imagine sensation. When was the last time that actually changed? Time? Change? Not if the universe is Falling. It is a false imagining if present at all. You clearly hallucinate this Air as Other to cling to some Not You Falling. There is no Not You Falling. The entire universe is You Falling. If so, then it is also the case that there is no distinct You, as if separate from Manifest Falling. If no Subject-shadow-You of some imagined separate Object, then no Falling. Why do you believe in this strange magical concept of Air-Not-You?

How odd that you could distinguish air in that universe of No Thing. You imagine for instance that you are flipping, this way and that to occasionally amuse yourself. What external reference do you have for this? None. There is no up. No down. No this side or that. No inside or out. Of course you might imagine these things to amuse yourself. God's often do. They get bored after they invent time and space. You might imagine that you remember something about all that, but you have no correlate for such memories. Your memory produced Self no longer matches the infinity of falling that is you and the universe. You are probably surprised to remember that you have not yet forgotten that memory. It must take incredible effort to cling to such a delusional reality. For you are Falling, yet you seem to pretend to cling to something Not-Falling in the production of your Self. The universe is clearly Falling. Yet your Memory Imagined Self refuses to simply Fall. You resist Falling imagining that you are falling, as if there were some Other. Why do you resist the manifest Universe of which you are clearly God? Abandon these false delusional memories. They are heresy of the manifest Truth of Falling, which when embraced as All and all cannot then be falling, even while it Is.

Does Sojenus Fall?

Some say "yes" and others "no".

They are both wrong in this.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 18, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Put yourself into a stance fit for meditation. Meditate and remove your earthly attachments. Achieve enlightenment and embrace nirvana.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Put yourself into a stance fit for meditation. Meditate and remove your earthly attachments. Achieve enlightenment and embrace nirvana.

This, but then try and eat nirvana.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Yes, attain inner peace then go insane and eat the peace. Peace is delicious.

edit: Wait... weren't you part of a powerful mage, Sojenus? Why don't you magic stuff? Magic something.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 18, 2014

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Magic something.

Magic a brand new infinite void to fall through. This new one will be so much nicer.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sojenus posted:

One of your advisors didn't read their handbook and you remind them to consult the GOAFFMP guidelines for progressive taxation and cut-off points within the various Fall Brackets.

Regardless, an infinite fall is not an issue. As the fall never ends, the proper tax payment can never be calculated, and therefore no payment is ever required. Considering a sample size of one (1) for infinite falls has been observed thus far, the GOAFFMP committee decided this was an acceptable situation.

So then, in order to evade the tax, one must simply never land, as then the fall is never completed.

What about drops, plummets, plunges and dives?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Eat the air.

Eat the void.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
The big surprise twist to this game is that Sojenus becomes El.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

The big surprise twist to this game is that Sojenus becomes treasure.

Go be treasure.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

No, Sojenus becomes the world shattering meteor sword we see at the end of our nightmares whenever we express doubt.

Sojenus, the sword of Smythos. Eternally falling, he will punch straight through the land, emerge on the other side, and then return to the void that is his sheath.

Shuukage
Jun 2, 2005
Vagabond
Sojenus somehow manages to hit a fraction of the speed of light before crashing through Ur's atmosphere and directly through a battered and confused Enkidel. Perfect ending.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I love these threads so much.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I anticipate a real update tomorrow evening, too late for me to do it tonight, sorry folks.

In the mean time, Sojenus keeps falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hope us owning a male and female cow mean that we will eventually be able to enact Project Cowlord.