Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
When I think of a current male pop singer, I actually think of Ryan Tedder. His band is barely rock, he's constantly guesting on EDM tracks, and he got his start doing some forgotten contest for MTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I listened to Katy B's Little Red a few times with ear buds and just now am getting a chance to sit down at home and enjoy it with my Bose headphones. It's like listening to it for the first time all over again. The standout tracks for me are "Crying For No Reason" and "Still." I know the house/dance stuff is her niche, but those songs are more lyrical and show off her voice.

Didn't see her "Drunk In Love" cover posted yet, either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIf5C5xshU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

the truth posted:

I listened to Katy B's Little Red a few times with ear buds and just now am getting a chance to sit down at home and enjoy it with my Bose headphones. It's like listening to it for the first time all over again. The standout tracks for me are "Crying For No Reason" and "Still." I know the house/dance stuff is her niche, but those songs are more lyrical and show off her voice.

Didn't see her "Drunk In Love" cover posted yet, either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIf5C5xshU

I just came here to post "Katy B is amazing and I should've listened to you guys sooner". The mixed version of the album on the deluxe edition is stunning.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
"Crying For No Reason" is now my top most played song on iTunes. It beat MKS's "Flatline" and I listened to that for like a week straight when it came out.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I think we may have something here. Years and Years - Eyes Shut

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
:laffo: Lily Allen is seriously calling her album Sheezus :laffo:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Lily Allen!! Hard Out Here's video was kind of terrible/racist but I still listen to her first two CDs all the time. Plus she was funny on the Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I have missed Lily Allen terribly. "It's Not Fair" is still my jams. I'm glad that the trickle of new music from her is picking up.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Vanbot is pretty cool. Really you can't go wrong with some Swedish sadbangers.

Also there is a new Florrie EP coming this ~spring~ it's called Sirens it's gonna be great.
I'm excited about this because I think she's great but for gently caress's sake, when is she going to do a real album :mad: I read her recent update where she said she'd been working day in day out on her album for a year, so why can't I hear it :( I just feel like I've been listening to her EPs forever with the promise of something bigger always around the everlasting corner

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I'm excited about this because I think she's great but for gently caress's sake, when is she going to do a real album :mad: I read her recent update where she said she'd been working day in day out on her album for a year, so why can't I hear it :( I just feel like I've been listening to her EPs forever with the promise of something bigger always around the everlasting corner

I know, right? I'm also pretty bummed that every EP has less songs than the previous one yet the gaps between them grows ever longer. I guess she's been writing for other people, too, but still. GET ON WITH IT FLORRIE! Christ.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Vanbot is pretty cool. Really you can't go wrong with some Swedish sadbangers.

Also there is a new Florrie EP coming this ~spring~ it's called Sirens it's gonna be great.

Oh my GOD how did I miss this?! Florrie is awesome! Can't wait to hear more music from her! I Took A Little Something is still one of my favorite songs :D

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

In the vein of Lily Allen, just heard Air Balloon on my way home, caught it mid chorus and couldn't figure out who it was, but really liked it.
Then the verse came back and she's as recognizable as ever. It's here for anyone who hasn't heard it yet"

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Paperhouse posted:

I was thinking this last week but at the same time the EPs feel really solid, I might actually prefer a really great EP to an LP with an EP's worth of great tracks and then a handful of lesser songs

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

het posted:

I was thinking this last week but at the same time the EPs feel really solid, I might actually prefer a really great EP to an LP with an EP's worth of great tracks and then a handful of lesser songs

I'm the same way. I wish Rihanna would release EPs instead of full albums, there's so much filler on her CDs :(

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm the same way. I wish Rihanna would release EPs instead of full albums, there's so much filler on her CDs :(

But you can always just delete the ones you don't like, whereas with an EP version you could't "un-delete" the ones that were left on the cutting room floor.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Lord Krangdar posted:

But you can always just delete the ones you don't like, whereas with an EP version you could't "un-delete" the ones that were left on the cutting room floor.
Well, or weren't written to begin with, because they weren't fully-fleshed-out ideas yet. I mean, I totally get the point that more content is better, and one person's "filler" is another person's killer deep cut, but generally I'd prefer quality over quantity

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Remember when I said Royals sounded like a middle-aged dad's complaints? :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6VToqhUd-0

edit: it's a really bad cover, goddamn

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Anyone know a good site for checking out global charts? I was watching a youtube channel that listed global number ones every week, but that got shut for copyright stuff (understandable, I guess). I've found loads of interesting stuff I wouldn't normally have come across. Is there something easier than having to go to fifty different chart websites individually, when half the time it's just seeing that Roar is somehow still incredibly popular everywhere?

B-Side
Dec 30, 2008
There's a new Chlöe Howl song out! And it's as fantastic as her other ones.

http://www.stereogum.com/1667464/chloe-howl-girls-and-boys-stereogum-premiere/

Also there's an EP out in the US on 3/11. Not sure if it'll have anything we haven't heard from her, but hopefully it'll do well enough that they release the album she has coming out in the UK this June over here as well.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Reminder: Pharrell is performing this song on the Oscars tonight and will probably lose to that lovely song from Frozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Also, I still can't get into HAIM's music, but this is a cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljg6g7BAdQo

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In "doing the radio rounds" news, we have... this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdemFfbS5H0

Clever piss-take or anthem for a generation? You decide.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

That song is annoying as hell, it's trying so hard to be the next Gangnam Style or The Fox, but the song isn't actually funny or clever. It's just "lol girls are silly".

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Little of column A, little of column B. I like that song way better than gagnam or the fox. It's super catchy, and as a mid 20s male, I've said or done some of the poo poo in that song. I can relate.

On another note, I saw Miley in concert last night. She puts on a pretty elaborate, crazy show. She 's a really good performer and it was really great. Icona Pop was really good too, but their set was super short.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
It's pretty fun, and I'm surprised I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere before seeing as it's got 7m+ views already. I can't say I'll ever seek it out again myself but it's not awful.

metachronos posted:

Icona Pop was really good too, but their set was super short.

On this note, Charli XCX (who co-wrote and featured on Icona Pop's I Love It last year) was on this Iggy Azalea track that came out last week. I'm not a massive fan of Iggy or her whole style, but drat that hook by Charli is fantastic. I can't wait for her next album later this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-zpOMYRi0w

E: Just realised I Love It was released two years ago. It only blew up in the UK last summer.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

She sounds like a female 2chainz or something. I kinda like this one actually. And yeah, the hook is great.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

metachronos posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. I like that song way better than gagnam or the fox. It's super catchy, and as a mid 20s male, I've said or done some of the poo poo in that song. I can relate.

On another note, I saw Miley in concert last night. She puts on a pretty elaborate, crazy show. She 's a really good performer and it was really great. Icona Pop was really good too, but their set was super short.

Did Sky Ferriera perform? I know she hosed her leg up early in the tour, I hope she's OK.

Also, Our Lady of Perpetual Party is out of rehab, and has dropped the $ from her name. I hope this means she's doing well, and that we'll get to hear some new stuff from her sooner rather than later.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I love how the article reports the pal saying "she's doing great" as if the enablers who hang around celebrities don't say that about everyone. I like Ke$ha and hope she's found some balance in her life, but I have the sinking feeling we have another Amy Winehouse on our hands and its only a matter of time before her "pal" finds her on the floor of a hotel room surrounded by empty pizza boxes and Twinkie wrappers.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

So my little bro got this assignment for college:

"For this assignment you will undertake a study of the styles and development of popular music from 1950 through to the current day. You will give concise definitions and descriptions of the styles, talking about and giving examples that best highlight aspects of development."

He has been whining to me about this because he thinks it's incredibly dull and something anyone with access to wikipedia could write. I guess basically he thinks that this is a very straightforward task which will involve simply presenting facts and not much else.

Is this true? I wanted to disagree with him and say he was just approaching it in a really lazy way, but I don't know anything about pop music or musical history. Is there basically just one straightforward narrative about the development of pop music? Would you expect everyone's answer to this question to be practically the same, or is there debate about the significance of certain aspects of pop music's history? I'd assume there must be arguments for and against the influence of different bands/technologies etc. but maybe a lot of things are just widely accepted as being important?

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think, or if you could point me in the direction of any articles that talk about this at all!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

That is such a bland prompt! Let's see how we can fix it.

First, what class is it for? Music Theory would be much different from Sociology.

Is there any way he can narrow it down? Like focusing on a specific subgenre, the public response to it, how it evolved, etc.?

He might have more fun with it if he tracks down what artists/styles influenced future artists/genres (ex. Janet Jackson influencing Britney, Cher influencing Gaga, etc.).

He could also research somewhat lesser known but influential artists or producers. Make sure he brings up Dr. Luke's monopoly on the Top 40 chart today!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Anyone know a good site for checking out global charts? I was watching a youtube channel that listed global number ones every week, but that got shut for copyright stuff (understandable, I guess). I've found loads of interesting stuff I wouldn't normally have come across. Is there something easier than having to go to fifty different chart websites individually, when half the time it's just seeing that Roar is somehow still incredibly popular everywhere?

There's this:
http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10popsongs.html

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The one on the Apple site doesn't seem to ever be updated right, probably because it doesn't include Explicit tracks

http://www.itunescharts.net/
http://kworb.net/
http://www.mediatraffic.de/

My only joy in life is checking on ARTPOP's current chart status

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

My only joy in life is checking on ARTPOP's current chart status

I actually liked ARTPOP

Florrie's new song Seashells is repetitive but nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oey-lMKWrPw

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Yoshifan823 posted:

Did Sky Ferriera perform? I know she hosed her leg up early in the tour, I hope she's OK.

No she didn't perform.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

metachronos posted:

No she didn't perform.

Oh boo. Well I saw her performances on Kimmel the other night, so I guess you just got unlucky and didn't get to see her. She looks like a strung-out rock goddess at the moment, which is awesome.

Also, I'm aware that I'm very late on this, but holy motherfuck is Body Talk one of the most awesome albums ever. Even if it just had Dancing on My Own it would be great, but it's got a few more songs on there that almost reach that level (I might argue that Call Your Girlfriend is even better but it's like comparing really delicious apples with really delicious oranges) and the rest range from pretty good to really good. And apparently we get more Robyn this year? gently caress yeah!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uu3kCEEc98

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

The production might seem dated, but it's obviously been very influential. And the song itself is still good anyway. Fun fact: This is actually one of the first writing credits for Brian Higgins, who would go on to form Xenomania and dominate the British pop scene (mostly with Girls Aloud) for a good part of the 2000s.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ahh, playing Settlers 3 with 'Believe' blasting on the radio.

Good times :unsmith:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

The production might seem dated, but it's obviously been very influential. And the song itself is still good anyway. Fun fact: This is actually one of the first writing credits for Brian Higgins, who would go on to form Xenomania and dominate the British pop scene (mostly with Girls Aloud) for a good part of the 2000s.
Yeah I think it really influenced a lot of 2000s pop. I think it's subtle-ish autotune made it ahead of it's time for top 40 stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. In many ways I think Lady Gaga took after Cher. Does she cite her as an influence?

^^ Awesome. I blasted it with Civ 5 haha!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Wow. I'm loving Zedd's new track and music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGjUjQRAxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Popjustice says someone's about to pull a Beyoncé and release a surprise album on iTunes. My guess would be Adele or Lady Gaga.