Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw that trailer before Walter Mitty and it was more enjoyable than the entire movie I saw after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
From the trailer the anti-ai militia are the heroes and fail, bold statement to show terrorist irregulars in a positive light

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kush posted:

I don't know what it is, but I'm not getting anything out of Transcendence trailers. It looks so banal and overly serious and somehow I can see it on the faces of the actors, everyone looks bored and bothered to be there. I hope I am wrong, because there are some elements that could be cool, but those trailers are very limp.

God awful boring cinematographer directs god awful boring film. Shocker.

The only mystery here is why anyone thought he'd be able to transcend his shortcomings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

N3RDSTER posted:

A new theatrical trailer for Under The Skin came out yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSRuEpygMH4

So they've taken out literally everything that made the book interesting, then. Brilliant.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jedit posted:

So they've taken out literally everything that made the book interesting, then. Brilliant.

How can you know that from a two minute trailer? It didn't seem like it gave very much about the film away at all.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

The only mystery here is why anyone thought he'd be able to transcend his shortcomings.

That's not how movies work.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

PriorMarcus posted:

You've seen the movie already? Or are you judging it solely from a 2-minute trailer?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Eh! Frank posted:

You've seen the movie already? Or are you judging it solely from a 2-minute trailer?

Well, he is god awful and boring, and the flick does look aggressively vanilla.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Wally Pfister god awful and bland?

and they say Something Awful isn't a comedy site anymore.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Purge sequel incoming. I'm genuinely impressed with the turnaround on this one, it must have been shot on a shoestring or been half-done when the first one launched or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxDUqE9txQ

It still looks like a cliched "pretty white people get hunted" garbage like the first one, but it's a massive step in the right direction by at least attempting to portray society during the Purge instead of giving us another Home Invasion movie.

Still, even with as juvenile and adolescent an idea as The Purge it still feels like these movies are just barely scratching the surface of what's possible with the premise. I kind-of hate MovieBob but he had a great idea which was "do scientists all band together to perform as much illegal and unethical research as possible during the 12 hours?" I'd like to see that movie way more than "URBAN AMERICA IS SCARY!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

It still looks like a cliched "pretty white people get hunted" garbage like the first one, but it's a massive step in the right direction by at least attempting to portray society during the Purge instead of giving us another Home Invasion movie.

It's not just the right direction, it's also the most logical one after the first movie. The first one wasn't as terrible as I expected and I wasn't bored by it, so I might check this one out.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 13, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, I'm of the opinion that these movies should never have been about Home Invasions in the first place, and that this sequel is--at the very most conservative--where the concept should have began to be explored in the first place, but I also recognize I'm basically being a nerd throwing a tantrum because Hollywood won't be the way I think it ought to be. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 13, 2014

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There's probably one guy who just publicly masturbates while jaywalking all day.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Suburban McMansions with awesome security systems are boring.

If I made a Purge movie, I'd make the protagonists a small group of homeless addicts.
They plan a raid of the head dealer in the city, take over his stronghold, claim everything that is his.
They'd be sitting on a mountain of money, drugs, and weaponry, and because of the law THEY are now king dealers in the area.

Make the movie about people that already are living outside of the law, already have knowledge of brutality and desperation, and THEN give them a 24 hour period to do so with impunity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mind the walrus posted:

The Purge sequel incoming. I'm genuinely impressed with the turnaround on this one, it must have been shot on a shoestring or been half-done when the first one launched or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxDUqE9txQ

Still, even with as juvenile and adolescent an idea as The Purge it still feels like these movies are just barely scratching the surface of what's possible with the premise. I kind-of hate MovieBob but he had a great idea which was "do scientists all band together to perform as much illegal and unethical research as possible during the 12 hours?" I'd like to see that movie way more than "URBAN AMERICA IS SCARY!"

I bet it was done like the Saw sequels or something and they shot a bunch of them in a row.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

mind the walrus posted:

I kind-of hate MovieBob but he had a great idea which was "do scientists all band together to perform as much illegal and unethical research as possible during the 12 hours?" I'd like to see that movie way more than "URBAN AMERICA IS SCARY!"

I would watch the poo poo out of a Purge movie that takes place at like CERN or the CDC or something

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

How can you know that from a two minute trailer? It didn't seem like it gave very much about the film away at all.

If you've read the book, you'll know that they've changed the location, the methodology, a crucial part of the main character's personality and motivation, and the reasons for her actions.

E:

Jonathan Glazer posted:

There will be people who really like the book and want to see a film of it. I imagine they'll be flabbergasted by how much the film deviates from that source material, and they'll either resent it for that or enjoy the fact that it rhymes with it, which is what I think it does. The ideas in it have changed but the soul is still quite close.

Translation: "We stole the title and basic premise, but that's it".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 13, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I don't think I've ever said this about anything ever, but the concept of The Purge is just dying to be comic books.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Problem with the first THE PURGE is that the family started off wanting to survive by any means necessary, a logical and rational position to hold, but then made a ninety degree left turn to, "Our crybaby son is right- if it's kill or be killed, we should just let these people slaughter us. How dare we defend ourselves in kind." Thankfully this new flick doesn't appear to have any room for such trash morality.

Also, it's cool that Zach Gilford and Kiele Sanchez are starring in this together as they're married in reality. Such a cute couple :3:

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Jedit posted:

"We stole the title and basic premise, but that's it".

Time and time again these have always been the most interesting adaptations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This might be a completely radical and crazy idea, so stop me if it gets too wacky, but maybe we can wait for the movie to be released, see it then and judge it on its own merits instead of dismissing it sight unseen, yeah? It's crazy, I know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://youtu.be/MyoO35P41YM

Trailer for Locke, the new movie starring Tom Hardy and just Tom Hardy. There are other actors but they never actually show up and are just voices on his phone.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Even more interesting he spends the entire film sitting down playing an old German man. Every Hardy film I've seen, even the good ones, have focused on his physique. I hope it works out for him.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

http://youtu.be/MyoO35P41YM

Trailer for Locke, the new movie starring Tom Hardy and just Tom Hardy. There are other actors but they never actually show up and are just voices on his phone.

So this is....Phone Booth 2: The Drivining? I'm in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Even more interesting he spends the entire film sitting down playing an old German man. Every Hardy film I've seen, even the good ones, have focused on his physique. I hope it works out for him.

I hadn't heard the German thing, I was wondering what was going on with his accent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mr. Squishy posted:

It got really good reviews when it played the festivals, so he'll probably be fine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jewmanji posted:

So this is....Phone Booth 2: The Drivining? I'm in.
Phone Booth 2 already came out recently and was called Grand Piano, so if this one is like Phone Booth, it'd be Phone Booth 3: The Drivining :haw:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guardians of the Galaxy trailer dropped on Jimmy Kimmel a few minutes ago. It should be up on YouTube soon if it isn't already.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loved just about everything. The only thing I didn't like is how long I have to wait to see the rest.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I've never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy but that looks like the best comic book movie ever.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That
LOOKS
AWESOME
:holy:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

So this is supposed to tie into the end of the latest Thor movie, correct? The extra Credits scene?

Either way, anytime you have animals with machine guns, I'm in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Benicio's character, The Collector, is in this and the Guardians deal/interact with him but the overarching plot of the infinity gems isn't a focus in the movie unless they introduce yet another stone in this one.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It appears that I am going to have to see that opening night. Preferably in an IMAX 3D setting.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Personally I'm upset we didn't see more. Personally, I'm still waiting to see Vin Diesel's 'I am Groot' and Cooper's Rocket Raccoon. John C. Reiley is a nice touch though.

edit: Nevermind, thought it was the short teaser.

double edit: didn't watch said trailer in earlier edit, now did, original point still stands.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 19, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

John C. Reilly is a nice touch though.

FOR YOUR HEALTH

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

joe football posted:

From the trailer the anti-ai militia are the heroes and fail, bold statement to show terrorist irregulars in a positive light
A reboot of Terminator from the point of view of the people at Cyberdyne Systems.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha that looks great.

That cue sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

kiimo posted:

That cue sucks though.

Surely you can't be talking about Hooked on a Feeling

• Locked thread