Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf
I'm looking for a tank simulator similar to my childhood favorite, Armored Fist 3. I've tried T72 but it's a tad bit too Russian for my taste.

Major INTERSpess fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Cantorsdust posted:

I have hinterland and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Gameplay is pretty simplistic. I'd spend $5, at most $10 on it.

I'll wait on a sale then. Thanks!

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
This might be asking a bit much, but I'm looking for a good couch multiplayer shooter on PC where I can just bring in a friend or two and curbstomp bots when we're bored. Anything I can get like that on PC?

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

This might be asking a bit much, but I'm looking for a good couch multiplayer shooter on PC where I can just bring in a friend or two and curbstomp bots when we're bored. Anything I can get like that on PC?

Borderlands.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to put together a list of haunted house games. I'm defining this as games that take place in a single general location and are supernatural or occult themed. Major releases, indie games, and freeware are all fair game.

This is what I have so far:

Alone in the Dark 1 and remake
Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night
Amnesia (kind of, the area is almost too large to count)
7th Guest - thanks FrumpleOrz
Various Castlevanias - thanks Myssu
Phantasmagoria
D - thanks Funktor
Luigi's Mansion - thanks Coffee And Pie
Clive Barker's Undying - thanks GreatGreen

There are some games like Resident Evil, Outlast, and Clocktower I'm not counting because, while scary, they are based around mad science and human psychos rather than anything supernatural. What are some others I am missing?

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 19, 2014

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm trying to put together a list of haunted house games. I'm defining this as games that take place in a single general location and are supernatural or occult themed. Major releases, indie games, and freeware are all fair game.

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night

There are some games like Resident Evil, Outlast, and Clocktower I'm not counting because, while scary, they are based around mad science and human psychos rather than anything supernatural. What are some others I am missing?

The 7th Guest

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What about F.E.A.R.? A lot of people didn't find it scary I guess, but I was fresh out of getting the poo poo scared out of me by The Ring so I had developed a healthy fear for young girls with hair covering their faces. As with all horror games, a lot of it is in the sound design so break out them headphones. I guess you have to be in the right mindset. I haven't played the sequels so I can't speak for them.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night

Does Castlevania count? It's not scary, but its the ultimate haunted house.

Project Zero and Fatal Frame are the same game, right?

Capuano posted:

What are some good competitive multiplayer games that don't involve murdering things? I typically spend my time playing Dota 2 and Chess hth

Hearthstone is pretty good if you like card games.

Myssu fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 19, 2014

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What about F.E.A.R.? A lot of people didn't find it scary I guess, but I was fresh out of getting the poo poo scared out of me by The Ring so I had developed a healthy fear for young girls with hair covering their faces. As with all horror games, a lot of it is in the sound design so break out them headphones. I guess you have to be in the right mindset. I haven't played the sequels so I can't speak for them.

I forgot about FEAR. Are you just running through that one facility?

Myssu posted:

Does Castlevania count? It's not scary, but its the ultimate haunted house.

Project Zero and Fatal Frame are the same game, right?

Ha, Castlevania definitely fits! All supernatural enemies, one castle to run through.

And yeah, Project Zero and Fatal Frame are one and the same.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Major INTERSpess posted:

I'm looking for a tank simulator similar to my childhood favorite, Armored Fist 3. I've tried T72 but it's a tad bit too Russian for my taste.

Combined Arms - have a look @ http://store.steampowered.com/app/240300/

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Danger Mahoney posted:

Phantasmagoria?
D?

tips
Feb 16, 2011

DrBox posted:

I'm looking for a mashup of two genres. Base building game with a more hands on approach to defense. Basically like Dungeon keeper but with a more fleshed out first person mode, or Sanctum with more base building. So far I've found Hinterland which kind of looks like it'll scratch that itch, and this game in early access called Planet Explorers is not bad, although there isn't really much to defend your base from.
In a perfect world I'd find a game that had the base building of Stronghold with the fighting mechanics of Mount and Blade. Setting isn't a big deal, it doesn't have to be fantasy.

Any other games out there with a similar vibe? I remember reading about a jrpg where you build the town with items you get in a dungeon, but I am hoping to find something for PC.
You really need to play some Sang-Froid and Orcs Must Die.

You'd probably also like AI War, which is all about trying to cripple two ultimately invincible AIs by carefully raiding and building up unbreakable choke points. It's a weird mix of genres (grand strategy RTS tower defense? I don't even know) and pretty confusing to get into but it owns.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night

Would Luigi's Mansion count?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night
Phantasmagoria
D - thanks Funktor

Clive Barker's Undying

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Are there any games like Myst anymore? Long, convoluted series of puzzles that all intertwine that require you to be really paying attention?

Too many games nowadays just have the main character say the solution out loud after a while. Maybe I'll just get Myst.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Are there any games like Myst anymore? Long, convoluted series of puzzles that all intertwine that require you to be really paying attention?

Too many games nowadays just have the main character say the solution out loud after a while. Maybe I'll just get Myst.

It's hard to find stuff that has quite the same feel as Myst and especially Riven, the degree to which the worldbuilding was built into the puzzles is still pretty unique.

The closest I've played lately is the RHEM series.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Evilreaver posted:

Kairo is that same sort of atmospheric, object puzzle-based game, and was very good from what I played.

Be warned, though, the only reason I didn't play it through was because it made me motion sick—something almost no other game has done to me. It's not even a fast-moving game, so it had to do with the combination of smooth textures and smooth scrolling perhaps.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Myst devs are making a new spiritual successor to Myst thanks to Kickstarter, but that probably won't come until 2016 or so.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anna

"Home" might fit your description, but I guess it depends how you interpret it :v:

I haven't played Dark Falls: Lost Souls but I remember thinking it looked kind of similar to Anna so maybe it fits.

Oh maybe Scratches, but you'd have to decide whether the ending is "supernatural" enough for your criteria

[edit]Comedy answer: House Ghost

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 20, 2014

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night
Phantasmagoria
D - thanks Funktor

How far back are you going? Maniac Mansion fits the description...kind of. Very occult vibey even though it's alien based I believe.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

What games for PC have a sense of place as good as Anachronox and Omikron? Primarily looking for an rpg or metroidvania with really fun and intricate environments to explore. PS2 and before would work too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bouchacha posted:

What games for PC have a sense of place as good as Anachronox and Omikron? Primarily looking for an rpg or metroidvania with really fun and intricate environments to explore. PS2 and before would work too.

Seeing how you're posting on this site, you've probably played it, but Dark Souls has the best level design I've ever seen, and is a great metroidvania.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bouchacha posted:

Check out MMO HMO for Necron 2. Might be your cup of tea.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Bouchacha posted:

Morrowind for an exotic fantasy rpg setting.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Are there any fun multiplayer games around (preferably with a population) with a good implementation of artillery-like ballistics? Not so much tanks, more... Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon alternate fire.

I enjoy weapons like TF2 Demo's Grenade Launcher, but possibly my favourite gun in a game ever is the Tribes Ascend Juggernaut's Mortar.

Unfortunately that game's pretty much died a death (so much wasted potential :() and every now and then I get that itch for long-range bombardment returning.

2D skillshots are almost as good - I enjoyed Subspace/Continuum back in the day and making long-range spear shots with Nidalee in LoL, so suggestions like that would be cool too!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Worms Armageddon.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Strange Horizon posted:

Are there any fun multiplayer games around (preferably with a population) with a good implementation of artillery-like ballistics? Not so much tanks, more... Unreal Tournament Flak Cannon alternate fire.

I enjoy weapons like TF2 Demo's Grenade Launcher, but possibly my favourite gun in a game ever is the Tribes Ascend Juggernaut's Mortar.

Unfortunately that game's pretty much died a death (so much wasted potential :() and every now and then I get that itch for long-range bombardment returning.

Try Scorched 3D, it still seems to be going, and it's free so you'll lose nothing but time to try it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Strange Horizon posted:

2D skillshots are almost as good - I enjoyed Subspace/Continuum back in the day and making long-range spear shots with Nidalee in LoL, so suggestions like that would be cool too!

Try Liero and its many clones, they're more fast-paced action-oriented variants of that Scorched Earth formula. Soldat is still going strong, last I checked, and Worms brings it back to its turn-based roots.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night
Phantasmagoria
D - thanks Funktor

5 Days a Stranger and its sequels.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Sweet Home
Fatal Frame 1 and 3
One Late Night
Phantasmagoria
D - thanks Funktor

Knock Knock from Icepick Lodge

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Major INTERSpess posted:

It might be a bit too arcadey, but World of Tanks is pretty good, and has a lot of depth as far as it's damage mechanics go. It's not at all a simple point-shoot-kill affair.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary any good? Or should I just try to find my PC copy of the original?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Did some research and apparently neither Borderlands supports splitscreen co-op on PC. Would've been perfect if it did though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Major INTERSpess posted:

Playing a tank map in Red Orchestra or RO2 maybe?

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
I'm looking for an RPG game that can be played on OS X. I'm pretty new to gaming and don't have much experience.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Koppite posted:

I'm looking for an RPG game that can be played on OS X. I'm pretty new to gaming and don't have much experience.

I'm not a Mac user so I don't have any examples on hand but I just wanna throw out there that Steam lets you search and filter by platform and genre, like this so that might be handy for you!

The genre definitions are pretty broad sometimes but it might be a good start.

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm not a Mac user so I don't have any examples on hand but I just wanna throw out there that Steam lets you search and filter by platform and genre, like this so that might be handy for you!

The genre definitions are pretty broad sometimes but it might be a good start.

Yeah I started there but it is really broad and I guess I don't want to spend the cash until I know more about what I want.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Koppite posted:

Yeah I started there but it is really broad and I guess I don't want to spend the cash until I know more about what I want.

RPG is a massive category of games, and there are plenty of options on MacOS. Like The Witcher (2), Wizardry 8, and Tales of Maj'Eyal are all games I like that fall under "RPG." That's not even getting into emulation of console RPGs.

GOG has a MacOS page here: http://www.gog.com/games/#%23system_osx=106,107

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Worms Armageddon.

Absolutely. A game all about skill shots. If you don't like the wackier weapons you can easily create games just based around mortars. Even factors in wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for good PS3 games for kids. I have 2, ages 10 and 8. They have progressed through things like Mini Ninjas, Portal 2, all the Little Big Planet stuff, and some other inexpensive downloads (Puddle, Journey, some of Doki Doki universe, even Street Fighter). One of their favorites so far has been Wrath of the White Witch, and based on that we got them the Valkyira Chronicles - but that has not been interesting to them in the least.

The older one is currently working her way through Assassin's Creed I (she already wants to be Altair for Halloween), but I'm not so keen on letting her play AC2 and having to explain the brothel and dancers yet. FWIW, they both say most of the Wii games are "babyish", although they are deeply into Pokemon on the 3DS. The 8 year old likes playing puzzle and tower defense type flash games, but he has no patience for reading back-story.

So, what else is out there? If it's relevant, both are huge fans of Studio Ghibli stuff so anything along those lines would be well received. Obviously, shooting/stabbing/punching is OK but I'd like to keep the over-the-top gore and sexual content levels low. Thanks!