Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

PublicOpinion posted:

The rule in the book is that if you'd double something twice, it becomes tripled instead of quadrupled (you'd have to double something three times to make it quadrupled).

So all you have to do is get your good friend the Domain of Strength Cleric to lend you a hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

KillerQueen posted:

In that case, would you consider changing Midnight Chill to some sort of failure mitigation, instead of a success enhancement? It would also help to make even more of a dichotomy between the two powers.

ed: oh, I hit quote before your edit, my apologies.

This is an excellent idea, I'll have to incorporate something like this.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

PublicOpinion posted:

The rule in the book is that if you'd double something twice, it becomes tripled instead of quadrupled (you'd have to double something three times to make it quadrupled).

Man, that is 3.5 as gently caress (gently caress 3.5 forever)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It's more so that a sorcerer can't completely destroy a big boss on the second turn. 3x damage is still a gently caress ton. Just not enough to end an encounter in a single attack.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm less griping about the balance implication, more the inelegance and counterintuity of the wording.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Think of it this way. A crit isn't doubling it. It's adding 100% damage. When you're already at 100%, that's the same as doubling. But it's only 1.5x as much when you're already at 200%.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Or doubling a single is a double, but doubling a double isn't a quadruple. I mean I get it, but..

If you told me to take [a number] and double it twice, it'd be the same as quadrupling it. But not in D&D! :v:
Basically, they should have used a different word/s if they want the rule to behave that way.

Like, each instance of "doubling" should really just read "add 100% of your base damage" or something like that, then the rules produce the desired result. But they don't, they say "double" :suicide:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 19, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Well I mean the only time it really matters is when a sorcerer empowers their spell, so it says it there in plain text. It's just they didn't account for it coming up more in non-official stuff so they had it only where it matters.

Olympia
Jan 9, 2014
Level 36 Jock
I have been wondering has anyone done more vikingy re-skin of 13th Age, with stuff like Banner Saga or King of Dragon Pass videogames? Everyone has braided bears, constantly swears by Tor and Snow Dog, shield maidens instead of paladins, hairy sort of giantish people instead of half-orcs etc. Cosmetic change more than anything, throwing away the D&D-aesthetics but keeping the game itself as it is.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

djw175 posted:

Well I mean the only time it really matters is when a sorcerer empowers their spell, so it says it there in plain text. It's just they didn't account for it coming up more in non-official stuff so they had it only where it matters.

The Rogue has several abilities that double their damage in certain circumstances, plus there's the Cleric invocation that turns crits into triple damage.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Sabbatron posted:

I have been wondering has anyone done more vikingy re-skin of 13th Age, with stuff like Banner Saga or King of Dragon Pass videogames? Everyone has braided bears, constantly swears by Tor and Snow Dog, shield maidens instead of paladins, hairy sort of giantish people instead of half-orcs etc. Cosmetic change more than anything, throwing away the D&D-aesthetics but keeping the game itself as it is.

There was going to be a 13th Age option for the Iron Edda: War of Metal and Bone Kickstarter but the stretch goal wasn't reached.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Updated the Gerudo's racial power to something more defensive, update the names of the choices slightly as well.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

It says each [Midgard Bestiary] monster entry has a related magic item... is this worth it for someone mainly interested in new treasure, races and icons?

I just did a quick count and there's just under 50 new magic items in there. A couple are a single item with four or so variants. The roachlings don't have magic items but there are rules for creating the lovely, busted magic items that they've managed to scrounge up.

Nine of the 13 icons have already seen the light of day on KoboldPress.com but in a couple of cases I made slight adjustments to them. For example, the addition of three new icons meant I had to rework the allies/enemies sections in a few.

All of the entries (I think) also have adventure hooks. If you like the adventure suggestions I've made here, you might like the ones in the Midgard Bestiary too -- Ash wrote them, and I edited them to the extent I'm comfortable calling it a collaboration.

As a GM, I've been using it mainly as a source for magic items, and have brought some of the monsters into my campaign by reskinning them or pillaging them for interesting powers for homebrew monsters. So I'm going to say yes, it's worth it for that.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

CHECK YOUR 13TH AGE ORDER PAGES.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I have players as both of those playtest classes and we are playing tomorrow... I will try to get word to them on this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

waderockett posted:

Funny thing, since the bookmarks were a little messed up, I thought -- just for a second -- that the monk was made into a druid talent for some arcane reason. Then, thankfully, I realized it was a cataloging error.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Speaking of playtesting - who's using my Martial Artist? How's that working out?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I don't remember seeing it. Is it on the Vault?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

No, I just posted a link to it a while back. This one. I know someone had one in their home game.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

(Druid) Melee Attack Option
You choose whether you want to use Strength or Dexterity as the ability score you will use to determine attack and damage for your basic attacks. Your choice also determines the ability score you will use in various spells and in attacks made in beast forms from the Shifter talent.

Huh, this is a pretty sensible idea! I wonder if there's another class that could benefit from this.

quote:

The monk is one of the few 13th Age classes that makes your character’s effectiveness hinge on three or more ability scores. We’ve opted to preserve the monk’s d20-history as the PC who needs multiple good ability scores. As Jonathan puts it, he wants monks to need to be strong as well as fast and wise. The extra ability score bonus helps.

Giving monks a third +2 (one from race, two from class) is... kind of a solution? But if only there was another way to do that. Perhaps something in the same playtesting packet, even. Something less kludgey, even.

A man can dream.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No see d20 History is something we should embrace and never ever loosen our grip on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RPZip posted:

Huh, this is a pretty sensible idea! I wonder if there's another class that could benefit from this.

Giving monks a third +2 (one from race, two from class) is... kind of a solution? But it only there was another way to do that. Perhaps something in the same playtesting packet, even. Something less kludgey, even.

A man can dream.

Someone do me a big favor and slap Jonathan's hands away from the key board any time it's time to start designing the monk class. Jesus christ.

Yup. All monks are Strong and Agile and Wise. Just look at noted Trickster who's actually very easy to fool himself Sun loving Wukong. Dude is super loving Wise.

Look at literally any martial artist ever! They're all always super strong and wise and fast. It's not like there's not Actual Real World Schools of Martial Arts that are all about not being strong but using the enemies strength against them.

gently caress all an extra +2 is going to do is ensure you're not garbage at the third thing. Instead you're guaranteed to be Mediocre at least.

The hell is wrong you guys? You designed 4 classes in base that all have "Hey use the stat you want instead" Talents. How can you not loving figure this poo poo out. What about Punch-men turn your brains to mush?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 19, 2014

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Someone do me a big favor and slap Jonathan's hands away from the key board any time it's time to start designing the monk class. Jesus christ.

Yup. All monks are Strong and Agile and Wise. Just look at noted Trickster who's actually very easy to fool himself Sun loving Wukong. Dude is super loving Wise.

Look at literally any martial artist ever! They're all always super strong and wise and fast. It's not like there's not Actual Real World Schools of Martial Arts that are all about not being strong but using the enemies strength against them.

gently caress all an extra +2 is going to do is ensure you're not garbage at the third thing. Instead you're guaranteed to be Mediocre at least.

The hell is wrong you guys? You designed 4 classes in base that all have "Hey use the stat you want instead" Talents. How can you not loving figure this poo poo out.

Sean K Reynolds has recently left Paizo. Maybe he'd be happy to help design a Monk class?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Man, that Druid class sure has a lot of words (containing a lot of options which I like at a very quick reading), but I don't have time to read them tonight ... :argh:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's pretty rad, I tell you what. After hearing some summaries of it, one of my players has begun wondering how quickly he can ditch his current character in order to become a druid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I just don't understand why they're having such a big problem. They patched in a lovely solution to a problem that they artificially forced on the class to make it more like a class that never even worked.

Like you have literally Centuries of lore and ideas to draw from Design space. You have hundreds of people to use as the archetypes for different styles of monks. Dozens of styles of martial arts to crib from. YOU HAVE SUN WUKONG AND JOURNEY TO THE WEST! And literally the only thing you can think to loving emulate is a garbage class from a game that barely loving worked.

What is happening?

EDIT: Commander and Druid look pretty cool, but that just makes Monk being so convoluted and dumb all the more baffling.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 19, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so I'm probably going to be playing in a 13th Age game soon. I like most of the mechanics, but I've been burned in the past and not had fun with the randomized difficulty with the classes I played. Like the bard was mostly cool, but then I missed all the time and did 6 damage total and nothing else over an entire game session. That wasn't fun.

Are there like basic classes that aren't as random, even if they're not as powerful at the top end? I'd like to enjoy this system, so I think I'm going to start with something a bit more consistent if possible.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Arivia posted:

Okay so I'm probably going to be playing in a 13th Age game soon. I like most of the mechanics, but I've been burned in the past and not had fun with the randomized difficulty with the classes I played. Like the bard was mostly cool, but then I missed all the time and did 6 damage total and nothing else over an entire game session. That wasn't fun.

Are there like basic classes that aren't as random, even if they're not as powerful at the top end? I'd like to enjoy this system, so I think I'm going to start with something a bit more consistent if possible.

Barbarian. Roll 2d20 each time you attack while raging, pick the roll you like.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Barbarian. Roll 2d20 each time you attack while raging, pick the roll you like.

Sweet! Is that in the core rules or the supplement playtest? (My boyfriend backed the latter, I can sneak a look at his stuff.)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arivia posted:

Sweet! Is that in the core rules or the supplement playtest? (My boyfriend backed the latter, I can sneak a look at his stuff.)

It's in the core rulebook. Go to the chapter on classes (chapter 4, if I remember correctly) and its the first one listed.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

-Fish- posted:

Updated the Gerudo's racial power to something more defensive, update the names of the choices slightly as well.

Very cool, but now there's a definite problem! Since Midnight's Chill Armor no longer does damage, the daughter of the Dessert trait gives you either fire resist or no resist.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

It's in the core rulebook. Go to the chapter on classes (chapter 4, if I remember correctly) and its the first one listed.

Thank you very much!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

KillerQueen posted:

Very cool, but now there's a definite problem! Since Midnight's Chill Armor no longer does damage, the daughter of the Dessert trait gives you either fire resist or no resist.

God dammit.

Fixed now.

Edit: Updated phrasing to be more accurate from a chronological perspective due to an update in the referenced design document.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Okay, finally got to deep read through the Monk and you know what? I mostly like it. They made Ki an integral part of the class instead of some dumb vestigial bit that did nothing. They fixed the dumb Icon Relationship Locked Forms. They even fixed the final attacks doing nothing basically nothing on a miss! And some of the forms are actually back to being really cool!

But then you start looking a bit harder at the individual bits and pieces to the monk. Like the numbers game. Basically everything is Dex to Hit, Str to Damage, Wis to be able to use your special ability and make this hit worth it. Like that's at the core of everything, and it still just doesn't really work. Even with that extra plus 2 (Which is what the Monk playtest in the game I was in was given anyway just to make him not rear end at his core class design last packet!) all that does is ensure you're not absolutely bad at something. It basically means either you're good at 2 scores and not negative in one or mediocre in all of them (Assuming you're point buying). The problem with this is it means you're about as effective as the rest of the base class if and only if you have really good ability score. a simple +2 massages the problem, not fixes it. It's something that can easily be fixed if you just made them Str or Wis or Dex to both and let the player decide which they wanted to use, i.e. use the same design decisions and ideas that are part of The Druid, the Wizard and the Bard. All of them can make the choice, and don't get punished for having a bad stat by making a core section of your class identity barely/not work at all.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
My only Monk complaints now, at a glance, are the ability score band-aid (seriously, either give them something similar to the druid's choice or just make them dex primary/wis secondary) and that Drunken Style is a deadly secret.

e: Also that they apparently removed Zealous Student instead of expanding it with ki support etc. :argh:

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 19, 2014

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Speaking of playtesting - who's using my Martial Artist? How's that working out?

I had a player using it... but he kinda died (not a fault of the class, I feel, he just got unlucky, and then betrayed by a fellow party member).

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

waderockett posted:

What about us Kickstarter backers who don't have order pages?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This druid is loving awesome.

Edit: Terrain magic is incredible.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

The Cumburglar posted:

I had a player using it... but he kinda died (not a fault of the class, I feel, he just got unlucky, and then betrayed by a fellow party member).

I'm kinda glad to hear that, actually. You worry if you made something too powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

What about us Kickstarter backers who don't have order pages?

Gerald is sending links out shortly.

• Locked thread