Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Serifina posted:

I would be very surprised if TT made any direct changes to the pipes. It's always been a "these are cool things that should be added", never really changed anything in TC directly.

What I meant by that was "add alternate pipes that have similar behavior to the old ones" not "alter the existing pipes". There are uses for the new method, but I'm sure people would prefer the old one to still be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What the chisel mod needs is a special wrench for tearing down blocks made with it. :p

I'm actually trying to figure out a use case for this that cannot be replicated with breaking a block made by chisel with a pickaxe before I figure out how to implement it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So what I'm getting from the latest TC changes is that I should under no circumstances update. Like my current situation with OpenBlocks.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Fortis posted:

So what I'm getting from the latest TC changes is that I should under no circumstances update. Like my current situation with OpenBlocks.

What's up with OpenBlocks?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

mechaet posted:

What's up with OpenBlocks?

The elevator recipe changed and they cost experience to use now, is what I've heard.
The latter is configurable and if I felt like spending the time I'm sure I could use CS2 or Numina to make the elevator recipe easy again, but :effort:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Fortis posted:

On the one hand, tubes have been nerfed to hell. On the other hand, easy research mode that allows you to skip the research mini-game entirely. (I think that was added? I haven't had a chance to play around with the new update.) So updating would mean taking the good with the bad.

Btw, to people who have used alchemy golems, what is so bad about them that you can't just use them for the purpose you used to use essentia tubes for before the nerf? :confused: (genuinely curious, I've never used the alchemy golems, considering the tubes seemed to do the exact same job)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dijon du jour posted:

Btw, to people who have used alchemy golems, what is so bad about them that you can't just use them for the purpose you used to use essentia tubes for before the nerf? :confused: (genuinely curious, I've never used the alchemy golems, considering the tubes seemed to do the exact same job)

According to other people in this thread, at least, they're a lot more expensive, and they can fall out of the world due to the silly way Minecraft loads (or rather doesn't load) chunks sometimes. Personally I haven't touched TC in ages and I probably won't again, despite having briefly been in love with it some time ago.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Golems also frequently get stuck on non-full blocks. They'll get stuck hugging a jar and refuse to move or get stuck hugging the alembics. The alembic thing should be fixed because he made it a full block hitbox now but I don't know about jars. They also frequently have problems with fences, attempting to jump over them or hugging them forever.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Also now your rows and rows of essentia tanks have to be set up with tiny access platforms and handicap ramps for the golems.
Plus, you get the essentia TO the room by I guess burning the mats for essentia in another room and having a series of tubes carry the essentia to the room? Because microblocks don't work with essentia tubes you need a block of space between each pipe, so that's a lot of space if you want to have more than one cooker at a time. Or you can do the old five alembec stack with five jars, if you also want to surround THAT with a bunch of access platforms for the golems and don't mind that hideous conglomorate of slabs and stairs in the corner of your otherwise awesome infusion alter chamber.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I thought about having a single furnace/alembic per essentia type, with a single pipe travelling up to a single jar, but you can't ever have that because everything you'd want to burn into essentia has multiple aspects. And it would have to be way spaced out so the pipes never touch.
I cheated in all my research so I'm not seeing a lot of incentive to update.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also now your rows and rows of essentia tanks have to be set up with tiny access platforms and handicap ramps for the golems.
Plus, you get the essentia TO the room by I guess burning the mats for essentia in another room and having a series of tubes carry the essentia to the room? Because microblocks don't work with essentia tubes you need a block of space between each pipe, so that's a lot of space if you want to have more than one cooker at a time. Or you can do the old five alembec stack with five jars, if you also want to surround THAT with a bunch of access platforms for the golems and don't mind that hideous conglomorate of slabs and stairs in the corner of your otherwise awesome infusion alter chamber.

In TC4.1 you can force tubes to disconnect by right-clicking them with a wand, much like MFR's rednet cables. I think you can still use tubes to transport essentia to a separate storage room, you just have to have parallel tubes from each alembic leading to an output jar that the alchemy golems draw from. Or something like that. The change certainly is forcing me to reconsider my building plan on Luddite, but it's not like I even had an Infusion Altar set up already so I'm not as inconvenienced as some of the other players.

There's also a new essentia mirror introduced in 4.1, but I don't know how those will interact with the Infusion Altar, Labeled Jars, or Alchemy Golems.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Fortis posted:

The elevator recipe changed and they cost experience to use now, is what I've heard.
The latter is configurable and if I felt like spending the time I'm sure I could use CS2 or Numina to make the elevator recipe easy again, but :effort:

So THAT'S why mine failed to work when I was in my fresh new Sync clone. That's loving retarded.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Wow, yeah that does sound kind if tedious, and as someone who isn't much into the "building massive complicated systems" thing I really can't imagine having a good time with that.

Though that falling-through-the-world golem bug does finally explain where the hell my farming golem disappeared to a while ago.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Fortis posted:

I'll take a moment to pimp my mod again, Effector Fields 1.6.4 R 0.1.1. Gravity shunts will work as elevators. Check my post history for details.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

metasynthetic posted:

I'll take a moment to pimp my mod again, Effector Fields 1.6.4 R 0.1.1. Gravity shunts will work as elevators. Check my post history for details.

I've got the link bookmarked, actually, because I fully intend to add Effector Fields to my current modpack and server. I loved it in 1.5.2 but didn't get much of a chance to use it, so I'm pretty stoked.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Golems can draw directly from alembics so there's no need to worry about tubes if you just use them. It's just worrying about everything else.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am trying to add some recipes via CS2 and I am the dumbs, because I cannot locate this "mod.js" file people keep talking about, it isn't in the customstuff config folder nor the zip in the mods folder.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

chami posted:

In TC4.1 you can force tubes to disconnect by right-clicking them with a wand, much like MFR's rednet cables. I think you can still use tubes to transport essentia to a separate storage room, you just have to have parallel tubes from each alembic leading to an output jar that the alchemy golems draw from. Or something like that. The change certainly is forcing me to reconsider my building plan on Luddite, but it's not like I even had an Infusion Altar set up already so I'm not as inconvenienced as some of the other players.

There's also a new essentia mirror introduced in 4.1, but I don't know how those will interact with the Infusion Altar, Labeled Jars, or Alchemy Golems.

Essentia Mirrors should work just fine with labeled jars and the Infusion Altar and have zero interaction with golems. My plan is to have a dedicated Essentia Room, stick up the Essentia Mirrors I need, and arrange the linked Mirrors right by my Altar, instead of having the jars themselves nearby.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, I'm super-new to this whole mod scene, so
I run a server with a handful of friends, and we just updated to the new Tekkit (Since there's a new 'recommended') and now there's a tooltip on the top of the screen that tells you what you're looking at. We all hate it but we can't figure out how to get rid of it. It looks like NEI has an option that's the same/identical but maybe not?

We're all dumb as bricks so this might take us a bit.

VVV Is there an easy way to toggle it?
E: Found it! Thanks

E3: Now we're getting recipe pattern ghosts in our crafting boxes. While helpful, how do we clear them?

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 21, 2014

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Evilreaver posted:

Alright, I'm super-new to this whole mod scene, so
I run a server with a handful of friends, and we just updated to the new Tekkit (Since there's a new 'recommended') and now there's a tooltip on the top of the screen that tells you what you're looking at. We all hate it but we can't figure out how to get rid of it. It looks like NEI has an option that's the same/identical but maybe not?

We're all dumb as bricks so this might take us a bit.

That's WAILA (What Am I Looking At) and it's a great mod. You should use it extensively, especially if you're new to modding and don't know all the blocks.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

axelsoar posted:

I am trying to add some recipes via CS2 and I am the dumbs, because I cannot locate this "mod.js" file people keep talking about, it isn't in the customstuff config folder nor the zip in the mods folder.

I don't think one is auto-generated for you. Just make one yourself and place it in config/CustomStuff/mods/<yourfolder>/

Edit: to be clear, mod.js doesn't require anything special other than the commands you want to run cs2 to run.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like my autospawner is not generating wither skeletons. I fed it a captured wither skeleton, but the safari net only shows "skeleton." The autospawner is in the overworld. Is there a catch? I have seen skeletons in nether fortresses before, but what I caught was gray and 3 blocks tall. I previously tried to spawn one with the exact copy mode off. I am pretty sure it is on now. Should I just grab another one? I wanted to grab a blaze spawner I found anyways.

I also started up a build craft quarry but it is slooow. It is getting 45MJ/t. After getting some saved charge it just farted around. I have not seen the bot thing extend the safety cage since that burst. Do I have to seriously boost it's power?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Set the spawner to "exact copy". According to the game's actual metadata, skeletons and wither skeletons are the same mob, just with a different tag.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
As someone who, ages ago in the dark days, had issues trying to figure out how to make mods work together and fix ID issues...how hard is it to do that stuff currently? Any easier? Anything I can just dump files into and have it auto-sort out IDs for me?

I mostly just want to take something like bigdig or aotbt and add junk I want to play with/remove stuff I find irritating or useless.

Maybe one day I'll find the modpack of my dreams though!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Synnr posted:

As someone who, ages ago in the dark days, had issues trying to figure out how to make mods work together and fix ID issues...how hard is it to do that stuff currently? Any easier? Anything I can just dump files into and have it auto-sort out IDs for me?

I mostly just want to take something like bigdig or aotbt and add junk I want to play with/remove stuff I find irritating or useless.

My understanding is that no, there's been no change, and such a utility would be sysiphean to create, since there's no standardized way to assign ids the developer would need to hard-code each mod.

On that note, though, did the forge devs ever consider forcing a standardized config file for block ids?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

Set the spawner to "exact copy". According to the game's actual metadata, skeletons and wither skeletons are the same mob, just with a different tag.

I had it set for an exact copy. I just got a better look and it looks like I'm getting wither skeletons. It's just that so far they are only really dropping skeleton bones and a random piece of armor here and there. I was looking around more online and it looks like I have to prepare to wait awhile for rarer drops at the rate I'm going. Once I fill the spawner up with a blaze spawner, and perhaps another spawner or two, it should get better.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

senae posted:

On that note, though, did the forge devs ever consider forcing a standardized config file for block ids?
They may have, the various dictionaries seem like a step towards that. With the coming change in how id's are handled it won't matter so I imagine they abandoned the entire idea.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I asked KingLemming once about why configs aren't sent from the server to clients by forge to make things easier on server owners and he mentioned that they had considered it but that's exactly why they decided it didn't matter anymore.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Synnr posted:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1928632-164smpforge-idfix-and-idfix-minus-mods-for-resolving-id-conflicts/

If you're playing solo, use idfix minus and you're good to go. Its how i cooked up a small pack for myself using multimc recently. You are still going to run into small headaches here and there (Oh god, why is it crashing on load? Thamcraft API? "If you see a crash regarding the API it means another mod hasn't updated", okay so which mod is that?!) but it cuts down on the tedium at least.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Hey E-Beef, this may not be your problem directly, but we're trying to track it down. Aidan's new version of Mekanism crashes on game-startup with this error: http://privatepaste.com/5babdd2569

We originally thought it was an extraTic recipe problem, but removing Big Reactors seems to fix it. Is this an issue with your alternate carbon recipe and Mek not playing nicely?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

wylker posted:

Hey E-Beef, this may not be your problem directly, but we're trying to track it down. Aidan's new version of Mekanism crashes on game-startup with this error: http://privatepaste.com/5babdd2569

We originally thought it was an extraTic recipe problem, but removing Big Reactors seems to fix it. Is this an issue with your alternate carbon recipe and Mek not playing nicely?

I had this same issue and went looking for a solution (which I didn't find), and I dunno if it helps but the ExtraTiC dev is blaming Mekanism. Apparently the crash occurs when Dirty Dust is asked for its unlocalized name by ExtraTiC.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

wylker posted:

That's pretty weird. It looks like an interaction between extraTIC and Mekanism - extraTIC is trying to copy all the smelting recipes into its system, one part of which is trying to resolve the unlocalized name for something (dunno why, but I'd guess it's trying to use that in the oredict). God knows why, but it's passing 100 as the subitem index. I don't use subitem indexes that high; I think mine go up to 8 in 0.2.

What I'd guess is happening is that Big Reactors' coal->graphite or charcoal->graphite recipes is getting sucked into the ExtraTIC recipe system, getting oredict'd across to something from Mekanism and then Mekanism is being queried for the name of an item which doesn't actually exist. Aidan doesn't do any bounds-checking there, so it blows up.

My first guess would be to try to disrupt the bit where ExtraTIC is fumbling through smelting recipes it can't understand: try going into the BR config and disabling "registerCoalForSmelting" and "registerCharcoalForSmelting", under the "Recipes" section.

I'm kinda guessing at the ExtraTIC stuff, because ExtraTIC isn't open source. :sigh:

I'll be on IRC later tonight, just grab me there if twiddling the configs doesn't fix it.

Edit:

Fortis posted:

I had this same issue and went looking for a solution (which I didn't find), and I dunno if it helps but the ExtraTiC dev is blaming Mekanism. Apparently the crash occurs when Dirty Dust is asked for its unlocalized name by ExtraTiC.

That's only part of it. ExtraTIC is passing in an item damage value (usually used to index subitems within one item ID) which is completely off-the-wall. I would lean more towards ExtraTIC doing something naughty and Mekanism simply not handling that naughtiness well.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 21, 2014

Xanarios
Aug 8, 2007
Callimas, at Bahar
The issue is with Mekanism's config file. For whatever reason it has been changed to shift the IDs of just those items. Subtract 256 from the dust, clump, dirty dust, crystal, and ingot IDs.

Edit: In particular, the configuration is overlapping with the scuba tank or some such, which has damage values up to 100.

Xanarios fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 21, 2014

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ebeef:

I created a crazy efficient reactor design. When we transition to .3whatever, do you anticipate any core changes to make reactors less efficient?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a way to connect an AE Interface to a Mekanism Metallurgic Infuser without having to go Interface -> Chest -> Itemducts with filters to two different faces on the Infuser?
Can the Infuser take both input slots from the same side, eg redstone and iron to make enriched alloy?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GotLag posted:

Is there a way to connect an AE Interface to a Mekanism Metallurgic Infuser without having to go Interface -> Chest -> Itemducts with filters to two different faces on the Infuser?
Can the Infuser take both input slots from the same side, eg redstone and iron to make enriched alloy?

I know with buildcraft pipes you could use a diamond pipe to separate the input items and output directly into it with ME stuff, but that probably costs more even. I don't think there's an easy way to use AE with machines that have multiple input slots linked to different sides of the machine without some sort of intermediary pipe system.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a trick to getting AE Interfaces to output directly to Itemducts, then? It's annoying having to throw in chests everywhere.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'm not 100% on this because I haven't done it for a while - when an AE recipe sends items to an interface, they actually go into the interface's inventory, then get pushed out if possible. If you set up two filtered extracting itemducts between the interface and the machine, it should get the effect you're looking for.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Ebeef:

I created a crazy efficient reactor design. When we transition to .3whatever, do you anticipate any core changes to make reactors less efficient?

The whole simulation is basically rewritten in 0.3, so it'll be different, certainly. I'm pretty sure I've eliminated the floating-point imprecision problem which is what causes some reactors (esp. computercraft-controlled ones) to become ludicrously efficient when their control rods are at 98-99%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
To any of you who have yet to get into thaumcraft 4.1, see my cheat post about the deconstruction table in 4.0 and if you play alongside TE, use the glacial precepitator to make ice, it'll help with ordo and aer.

Regardless of TE or not, Wheat continues to be good. With Natura, its even better to break it down into flour for that sweet 1:1 bread ratio, Bread having the same aspects but more of them.

Still yet to find a good source of Ignis, stick to Charcoal for now i guess.

"Easy" mode research is better and i wholeheartedly recommend it. But it still has the frustrating chokepoint of not enough aer and ordo to make compound aspects. Get the Decon table sooner then later and be prepared to wait for the free aspects to make things like Motus.

Instumentum also changed to Humanus and Ordo, not Humanus and Metallum. Just a small detail while your getting that initial hurdle of understanding over and done with, because the very first block you make and use for hours is apparently more complicated then most magically speaking. :rolleyes:

Edit: Brainy Zombies are rare now as well. A pain.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 21, 2014

• Locked thread