Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

bunnielab posted:

poo poo man. For that money can you not just take a train/boat to England and smuggle meat back?

Its not much better. I paid £21 for a 6.5lbs brisket. with conversion rates and stuff, that would make a 12lbs brisket 50 euros or 70 USD here. This is UK Brisket though and the cut is a bit different to the US stuff. Here is what I got:

Pork shoulder is much more reasonable here and can be had for about half that money.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I don't...

what....

buh.....

how.....

You europeans are shameful.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
What the gently caress??

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Meat pricing isnt much better in Alberta either, even though we're pretty much texas North as far as cattle goes.

14lb brisket was $55. Pork is cheap, those beef short ribs I got a few weeks ago were $88 for 10 of them (14lb worth).

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
88 bucks? Jesus, I would go insane if quality meat was that expensive.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Cimber posted:

88 bucks? Jesus, I would go insane if quality meat was that expensive.

well, beef short ribs will run you about ~5$ a pound in the states too, so the rib pricing seems right. That said 88$ for a 14lb brisket? good god. I picked up like a 16lb cut for almost 40 dollars a month ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well it's highland beef, raised locally, ecologically, organically and all that other -lly stuff that adds shittons to the cost. I honestly don't give a gently caress about highland cattle, it was just that since these guys raise and butcher their own cows they can give me the cuts I want.

The finnish brisket looks almost exactly like the american one. It's just that here it's ground down and mixed with flour and other stuff to make a really cheap and traditional sausage called Launataimakkare (saturday sausage):

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 21, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ahdinko posted:

Its not much better. I paid £21 for a 6.5lbs brisket. with conversion rates and stuff, that would make a 12lbs brisket 50 euros or 70 USD here. This is UK Brisket though and the cut is a bit different to the US stuff. Here is what I got:

Pork shoulder is much more reasonable here and can be had for about half that money.

For some reason brisket in the UK is rolled and tied. If you unroll it it'll probably look more like what gets posted here usually but probably not as neat/even on the side without the fat due to how its been butchered.

Beef is a lot more expensive here in general though

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

His Divine Shadow posted:

Finland is weird, I've complained about it before so I'll spare you another rant.

Finland? Call up my buddy Jotu At Real Texas BBQ. He has a Gator Pit Captivator. http://www.texasbbq.fi

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Scott Bakula posted:

For some reason brisket in the UK is rolled and tied. If you unroll it it'll probably look more like what gets posted here usually but probably not as neat/even on the side without the fat due to how its been butchered.

I'm sure mutton and lamb are cheaper however. I wonder how various cuts of those meats would be smoked.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Cimber posted:

I'm sure mutton and lamb are cheaper however. I wonder how various cuts of those meats would be smoked.

Delicious.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

dalstrs posted:

Delicious.

I would imagine lamb shanks smoked with hickory wood would be fantastic.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

Cimber posted:

I would imagine lamb shanks smoked with hickory wood would be fantastic.

Ooh.. I bet that would be great.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Jose posted:

I did figure that, but I smoked it rolled, and then unrolled it when I cut it up to serve. It wasn't a big brisket (6.5lbs), and I smoked it for a good 12-13 hours and didn't do any brining/injecting/whatever, but it was still really succulent inside. Maybe keeping it rolled helped it retain moisture or something because of surface area blah blah?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ahdinko posted:

I did figure that, but I smoked it rolled, and then unrolled it when I cut it up to serve. It wasn't a big brisket (6.5lbs), and I smoked it for a good 12-13 hours and didn't do any brining/injecting/whatever, but it was still really succulent inside. Maybe keeping it rolled helped it retain moisture or something because of surface area blah blah?

was it cooked fully or did you see red inside? Also, how were the smoke rings?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

nummy posted:

Ooh.. I bet that would be great.

Yeah, i think it would be fantastic. Maybe put a light rub of rosemary/garlic on top too while smoking.....

mmmmmmmmmm

goblox
Sep 13, 2012
So after seeing the post from whowhodillybar. I decided to try smoking a meatloaf with hickory. I smoked it with indirect heat at about 300 until 165 internal. This thing was so moist and full of flavor. I think I now have a new thing to do regularly.

whowhodillybar
Apr 22, 2008
:wrongful:
SHUT UP, TARD

goblox posted:

So after seeing the post from whowhodillybar. I decided to try smoking a meatloaf with hickory. I smoked it with indirect heat at about 300 until 165 internal. This thing was so moist and full of flavor. I think I now have a new thing to do regularly.

The icing on the cake for me with smoked meatloaf is that topping of brown sugar, ketchup, and sriracha. I used to put it on near the end but I started slathering it right on when I put it in the smoker and it comes out with a nice sweet/spicy/smokey flavor on top.

Note the color change of that "icing" as changes from what just looks like ketchup to pure flavor.

Meatloaf in the oven just doesn't compare to a good smoked loaf. Pair it with those little Kings Hawaiian dinner rolls to make an excellent slider that can be an appetizer or main dish.

Also speaking of bite sized appetizers ABT's are always a hit along with these guys that I like to call fatty balls.

Same concept as a fatty but on a smaller scale. Cube you a half inch piece of your favorite cheese, wrap in sausage, wrap in bacon, sprinkle with a good coat of rub and smoke with hickory for about an hour. They go fast whenever I serve them. I have done similar versions as an "armadillo egg" by wrapping cheese and a half a jalapeno with sausage but I think I prefer the miniature fatty.

whowhodillybar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Cimber posted:

was it cooked fully or did you see red inside? Also, how were the smoke rings?

It was fully cooked throughout, and here it is. This was after unrolling it and cutting some slices, so the bottom side you can see that hardly has any smoke on it was the "inside" of the rolled part

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Nice smoke ring, and nice bark too!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
That bark looks ridiculously good!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Meathead from Amazingribs.com is hiring help. This would be a hoot, me thinks

http://amazingribs.com/help_wanted.html

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dukket posted:

Meathead from Amazingribs.com is hiring help. This would be a hoot, me thinks

http://amazingribs.com/help_wanted.html

If I lived in that area I would definitely put in an app.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Smoked pheasant report.
Brined the breasts for about 14 hours using brine recipe from here: http://momofukufor2.com/2010/03/ad-hoc-buttermilk-fried-chicken-recipe/ except I replaced lemon with orange.
Covered breasts with cheesecloth soaked with brine solution and placed in pit. Tried to keep pit at 200 degrees F but temperature seemed to be about 225 most the time.
I had planned on this taking about 3 hours to get the meat to 150 degrees internally. At 3 hours temperature was 121. An hour later temperature was still 121. Well duh, other meat stalls, why shouldn't poultry :doh: So I wrapped with foil and about an hour later birds were done.

Also had on a rack of spare ribs in case the pheasant was a disaster.

The surface of the flesh was tough, maybe like the skin of a plum? I am attributing this to extended time on the smoker. I think next time I'll just skip the cheesecloth and foil immediately when stall starts.
The interior was very moist and tasty, with a nice smoke flavor (I used hickory). The flavor and consistency was very much like smoked turkey.
Many people ask about smoking chicken - I strongly suggest they consider brining their birds to keep them moist.

Ezreail
Mar 25, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

It was fully cooked throughout, and here it is. This was after unrolling it and cutting some slices, so the bottom side you can see that hardly has any smoke on it was the "inside" of the rolled part

Love the color on it. Looks good.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Doing some Northern Alberta smoked ribs tonight. Pork side ribs and left over beef short ribs from the freezer.

That's where you wait for the smoker to get up to temperature in -35 weather.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Thanks guys, I was dead happy with it, especially as this was my first attempt at brisket, and the second time I've used the meat smoker. It went down a treat with my friends, I did a whole chicken and two pork shoulders in the same smoke, but everyone was raving about the brisket.

For the brisket, literally all the prep I did was use the big bad beef rub from amazingribs: http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

The rub went on with a coat of virgin olive oil 24 hours before cooking so it had time to soak in or whatever. I think alot of credit goes to the heatermeter that I built, that made life so much easier having the fan control the temperature for me and be able to sit inside and put the tablet under the telly with the heatermeter page loaded while I sat around and drank beer. Much love to CapnBry for inventing this thing. I cooked at 230 for about 11 hours I think, then the last hour or so I jacked it up to about 280-290 and waited for the meat to hit 200

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 5, 2014

whowhodillybar
Apr 22, 2008
:wrongful:
SHUT UP, TARD
Ahdinko, That brisket looks fantastic, I bet it tasted just as great as it looks.

I bought me a 7.5 lbs brisket a couple weeks ago and tried out making pastrami for the first time. Not a whole lot of elbow grease involved in making it, just patience, and lots of it.

I cured it for about 10 days followed by a day of fresh water desalination, then washed and dried it and coated it in black pepper and coriander with a little paprika, chili/garlic/onion powder. It sat for another day and a half before i smoked it with a 75%/25% blend of Cherry and Pecan wood for about 8 hours until it hit 190. I pulled it out and put it in the fridge to rest for a day before steaming it today.

Pastrami picture onslaught begins....

Fresh out of the smoker.

Close up.

Sliced open out of steamer

Money shot!

Started falling apart - more like pulled pastrami at this point

Makings of a reuben with swiss and homemade thousand island. I was too lazy to make my own sauerkraut, however.

Finished sandwich just seconds before being devoured.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I....I.....

I want to make love to that, that is absolutely beautiful. Holy poo poo, sir I salute you!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
The reuben is one of the three best sandwiches. The other two being the cheesesteak and the hoagie/grinder/hero whatever you call an italian sub where you are.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

pr0k posted:

The reuben is one of the three best sandwiches. The other two being the cheesesteak and the hoagie/grinder/hero whatever you call an italian sub where you are.
One day you'll get to try a muffaletta.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I've had one at Schlotzsky's back when there was one here. Pretty good. Made one or two myself. Better, but can't get that bread right. Maybe if I had a proper one in nawlins it might be in the top three.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any point to even trying to smoke something in a traditional Weber kettle grill? I just can't think it holds temp well and I can't really find any conclusive evidence either way...

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Keep the coals on the far left (right by one of the vents) with wood laying against them, and keep your meat on the far right, you can general keep a low temp and generate some smoke. It's high maintenance, and certainly not ideal, but it does work. The key is keeping the grate closest to the coals almost completely closed, you might have to mess with it a few times to get the temperature to stay. My friend does this and has to keep it completely closed, because when it's shut it doesn't create a complete seal, and enough air gets in to keep the coals at the right temp. Also having to open the whole top to maintain the fire is not ideal, but yea.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

whowhodillybar posted:

Pastrami picture onslaught begins....

Close up.

Amazing. I need dis in my life.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there any point to even trying to smoke something in a traditional Weber kettle grill? I just can't think it holds temp well and I can't really find any conclusive evidence either way...

Sure, you can smoke in that if you are careful and set the heat for indirect smoke. Its harder, but can be done.

Tho you might as well go out and get a ECB for about 50 bucks at Home depot.

[edit] You will have to mod it however: http://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

AlternateAccount posted:

I do most of my smoking on a regular UNmoded 20-some inch kettle grill.

No, its not ideal
yeah it requires more attention
No, it won't run all night
Yes, I have made some fantasic smoked meats on it.

Pulled pork, brisket, duck, chicken, sausage, wings, ribs

If you have a big cut you might want to use a shield on the side closest to the heat or just turn it. But this is only an issue with something that takes up more than half the grate.

As said by another poster put all of the coal and wood on oneside, meat on the other. Place the vent over the meat.

If you google indirect grilling you should find plenty of sites that use weber kettles.

I think its a good place to start, figure out if you want to spend the money on dedicated smoker. Or you can mod it as suggested above

Dukket fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

pr0k posted:

I've had one at Schlotzsky's back when there was one here. Pretty good. Made one or two myself. Better, but can't get that bread right. Maybe if I had a proper one in nawlins it might be in the top three.ikn

Its one of those foods where you can get a hint of what the original truly tastes like, but never get closer than even half as good as one from the area that spawned it. A lot of the local ingredients just can't be replicated anywhere else, the bread being the most obvious. drat, now I feel kinda homesick for New Orleans.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not please direct me to the proper thread. I am looking at getting an electric smoker to do some briskets and whatever else I find worth smoking. I have a bunch of Amazon cash to spend so i was planning on buying from there. What is a good one to buy? I probably want to be in the $300-350 range if possible. I also want one with a built in thermostat and digital controls unless there is a good reason not to go that route.

I basically want something I can set and forget since I work and sleep. I don't want to have to check on it every hour or whatever.

Also do these go on sale at any certain time? I probably wont get to start using it for another month so if waiting will get me a better deal that is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Trastion posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, if not please direct me to the proper thread. I am looking at getting an electric smoker to do some briskets and whatever else I find worth smoking. I have a bunch of Amazon cash to spend so i was planning on buying from there. What is a good one to buy? I probably want to be in the $300-350 range if possible. I also want one with a built in thermostat and digital controls unless there is a good reason not to go that route.

I basically want something I can set and forget since I work and sleep. I don't want to have to check on it every hour or whatever.

Also do these go on sale at any certain time? I probably wont get to start using it for another month so if waiting will get me a better deal that is ok.

You probably want something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070213-Electric-Digital-Smokehouse/dp/B00B7W8NHW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

But I don't have any experience with those personally, so I can't tell you the quality of the smoke. I do all my smoking with wood and charcoal.