Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

HiriseSoftware posted:

I've been following your game and I think you made the right decision. I've never played Mega Man Battle Network, and this kind of frantic action that you've illustrated looks like a lot of fun. I think I wouldn't have the patience for a turn-based strategy game, especially on mobile.

Cheers! Whole thing started when I was binging through MMBN LP's and getting annoyed with the constant pausing-to-go-to-inventory. It's a really cool series and it looks super polished but I felt like I was looking at the word PAUSED more than anything else.

Also I got that fucker in the game and it's a lot of fun, doing a bomb dropping variant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Been a little more productive these days - animating stuff takes forever. I think I might add a little big of camera wiggle to the clouds later.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Alright fine you convinced me to play through MMBN3 again on my android. Is this what you wanted, you bastard?

:v: For real though the project is looking all kinds of cool. Is there some sort of thread or site where I could follow the progress?

EDIT: Also, regarding the above post, Love the tiny amount of distortion on the plane! Really gives a great sense of depth and animation.

Ezzer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 4, 2014

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

The sort-of borderline between hand sketch and pixel art of this is giving me Full Throttle vibes.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Ezzer posted:

Alright fine you convinced me to play through MMBN3 again on my android. Is this what you wanted, you bastard?

:v: For real though the project is looking all kinds of cool. Is there some sort of thread or site where I could follow the progress?

haha is that even enjoyable to play on Android?

And yeah there's a site!

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

the chaos engine posted:

haha is that even enjoyable to play on Android?

And yeah there's a site!

Mother 3 and Warioware kept me entertained well enough, I guess we'll find out!

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012
Reposting from the Making Games thread, my main title
In my current game, I am working on 320x240px canvas, so pixel art is pretty much the choice of art.

Here the gif

I am trying for high octane vibe, tbh.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012
Please rate my spaceship sprite.

It is fully kitted with weapons and thrusters. :v:
(32px scaled up to 96px for viewing convenience).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is it a vertical or horizontal shooter? Just asking due to the backed-in shadows and highlights. Looks good though.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Is it a vertical or horizontal shooter? Just asking due to the backed-in shadows and highlights. Looks good though.

None of above. It's a space tactics game. Think of Advance Wars, Front Mission series and FFT, that's pretty much the mechanics I am going for.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sethmaster posted:

It looks very 'squashed flat' All the shadow / highlight is restricted to the edges, causing that appearance. Your mid-tones could use more differentiation in their values, which means you are spending time drawing tones that largely don't show up on screen.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Haven't tried pixel art for sometime since my last post, but here's an attempt at a shield:

A1,A3,B1 and B3 have dithering, whilst the others do not, A2,A3,B2,B3 have black borders. Just messing about with them at the moment. My main problem is that the appearance of the thickness of the shield, despite my attempts at making them look less jaggy they still retain that jagged look. Is it because of the size or is there anything else i can do?

I know my stuff isn't that great, my progress always seems to be hampered. I'm hoping to make something that looks half-way decent at somepoint. As per usual, any help or/criticism would be welcome.

Edit: Removed broken links, apologies!

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 27, 2014

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scut posted:

It looks very 'squashed flat' All the shadow / highlight is restricted to the edges, causing that appearance. Your mid-tones could use more differentiation in their values, which means you are spending time drawing tones that largely don't show up on screen.
Also taking one sprite and rotating/mirroring it for each direction sort of makes the entire thing look pillow-shaded.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 10, 2014

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Scut posted:

Sorry, but since it's 32 px, there not much room to work with. As mentioned before, this is a scaled up version (x3).

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Jackard posted:

Also taking one sprite and rotating/mirroring it for each direction sort of makes the entire thing look pillow-shaded.

What?

I am afraid you lost me there.
I know about pillow-shading.
I am assuming you are misunderstanding the usage of the sprite I am showing you.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Sketched up an emotion sheet of a skull-guy for a platformer a friend and I are trying to learn to make!

I want to keep the coloring pretty simple and cartoony, but would be more than happy to get some advice on where I could add a few extra shadows for depth. Hopefully all of the emotions are pretty clear (forgive me for my egregious lack of :v:, that'll come in time), but in case they aren't, definitely tell me how I could improve. Cheat sheet: 1. Neutral/cheery 2. Disappointed 3. Excited 4. Peeved/doubtful 5. Pained/frustrated

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Sethmaster posted:

Sorry, but since it's 32 px, there not much room to work with. As mentioned before, this is a scaled up version (x3).

Sethmaster posted:

What?

I am afraid you lost me there.
I know about pillow-shading.
I am assuming you are misunderstanding the usage of the sprite I am showing you.

Why even post here in the first place? There are plenty of techniques you can employ to fix the things people are critiquing while using the same dimensions. Part of the challenge of pixel art is maintaining readability with only a few pixels, and your sprite does not do that.

Analyze at these up close next to yours:
They're the same size as your sprite and convey lighting animation with a high level of detail.

Even if the style you're shooting for is different, the sprite flat out isn't nice looking so you need to improve it. Be open to learning or just stop.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Sethmaster posted:

It is fully kitted with weapons and thrusters. :v:
(32px scaled up to 96px for viewing convenience).

Wanna get in on this because you seem to not actually want feedback, so here is some feedback! :v:

Your thing looks pillow-shaded because the outline and highlights follow the pixels of the ship's shape exactly. Although for some reason you have one stray shadow pixel digging into the hull (on the upwards facing one it's on the left of the cockpit). That said, I don't agree with the earlier poster that rotating / mirroring has anything to do with a sprite appearing pillow-shaded.

Also the guns and thrusters are outlined while the ship isn't. Also the outlining is done with the same shade that represents the shadow side of the ship.

The way the shadows-into-highlights work seem off because it makes the ship look flat, while the "shoulder" thrusters and cockpit should be on top of the base of the ship. It'd probably look better if you had the light source coming from the top, or for your perspective from the center, rather than any of the sides. OR if you're dedicated to this light source, be more subtle with your shading. Like, the shoulder thruster that is light has no shadow casting on the wing even though it should because it's on top of it.

And on a general note: dude, you can safely assume that people in the pixel art thread can see you upscaled your sprite. Jeez.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Sorry to pile on I guess.

Pillowshading is the wrong term imo, Sethmaster's sprites are rim-highlighted which makes them look flat.

couple of things:
  • Don't try to cram in heaps of details, a sprite is much more legible if it's made up of "pixel clusters" rather than single-pixel noise
  • Flat greys are boring, I know yours have a slight hue but if it's not actually visible it doesn't count. I made the greys blue to help make the orange pop
  • (almost) Always pump up the contrast, it lets you use less colours and make selected areas stand out.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:drat: Impressive, and that lighting doesn't look half as lazy when you flip/rotate it:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2014

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Here's some uh, more "stuff".

Messing about with different colours, changing slightly the shape of the shields, adding more detail in etc. I'll probably end up changing the detail's colours, they were originally white but were too bright, even with the grey, they're still somewhat bright.

The yellow and Brown shield is my attempt at the Grass Crest Shield from Dark Souls. (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/grass-crest-shield)

If you need a bigger version, just ask.

Edit: Removed broken link, apologies!

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 27, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Everything I work on atm seems to come out kind of broken. So I went back to the well. The Solaire well.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Great animation!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I have this from an old, discontinued project:

And sometimes I do pixel scenes in between screenshot dumps:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

Great animation!
Thank you! :3: It was really fun to do.

Noyemi K posted:

I have this from an old, discontinued project:

And sometimes I do pixel scenes in between screenshot dumps:

drat this is exactly the style of sprite I keep trying to do and loving up.

Edit: Oh yeah I managed to take on a commission despite my commission info being hidden away somewhere and I'm super nervous about the whole deal..:sweatdrop:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 15, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Commissions always make you a bit nervous till you get used to it. Good luck!

I made "miniatures" of my characters to use in OpenRPG games and my site layouts:

I got the idea from when I made my banner:

And this was my old one:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Started creating variations on my existing tile-set, to distinguish between different areas of the station:

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 24, 2014

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Is it okay to continue posting WIP images? I feel like the improvements i make to it are incremental.

Here's it so far:

Changed colours, used different shapes, used more dithering, changed light source etc.

Apologies if this is unwelcome, just unsure of what to do generally.

Any Comments, advice, criticism etc is more than welcome.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 27, 2014

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Took my first stab at this tonight. Made a sailor in his dress blues off of a human form outline I found on a guide. Used photoshop pencil tool and dodged/burned to give depth. I couldn't quite get the dixie cup to look right.

This was fun though. I'll probably try some more.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is it okay to continue posting WIP images? I feel like the improvements i make to it are incremental.

Any Comments, advice, criticism etc is more than welcome.

I think it's great to see WIP images, especially on a forum.
I feel like these could use less dithering, but that's also largely a stylistic choice. In my opinion I would dither the main boundaries between highlights and shadows, but leave the mid-tone areas un-dithered.

I'm coming into possession of a b&w laser printer soon and I've been thinking about how to get attractive graphics out of it. I found some halftone options in Gimp that give some pretty nice results. Gives me the option to print distinct value changes while still only putting pure black onto a page.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the advice Scut.

Here's some more stuff, extremely WIPish, tried different types of outline shading etc.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 27, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Made this

To go with this

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've been learning pixel art by doing tiny little ones in C64 Paint on the bus to work each morning...

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Is this supposed to be the wrestler guy that goes YES YES YES?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is this supposed to be the wrestler guy that goes YES YES YES?

YES YES YES YES YES YES :3:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

toiletbrush posted:

I've been learning pixel art by doing tiny little ones in C64 Paint on the bus to work each morning...

Nice! I've been using an expanded C64 palette recently and love the results it gives. Does C64 Paint allow you to work in double-wide pixels as an option?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Could someone post an interesting palette? I'd like to try working using a good solid palette I didn't pick myself as practice. Maybe colours like in scut's avatar would be fun but I'm open.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Scut posted:

Nice! I've been using an expanded C64 palette recently and love the results it gives. Does C64 Paint allow you to work in double-wide pixels as an option?
Thanks! Yeah it does, it's a really simple app but is the only iOS pixel art app I've really enjoyed using so far.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

Could someone post an interesting palette? I'd like to try working using a good solid palette I didn't pick myself as practice. Maybe colours like in scut's avatar would be fun but I'm open.

Try this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Animation test.