Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Now that's just spot one right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I just got the pun in Dino Charge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IykNJIMYJko

It's not perfect, but it's still pretty great. And Wasserman turns up in the comments to say he likes it, even!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm a serious sucker for floppy drive music :shobon:

It's a project I've wanted to tackle for a while, but all my parts are at my parents house and I never feel like boxing them up and bringing them to my place. Someday.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
But technically RPM was in an alternate dimension so they're not one of the teams that preceded Megaforce!

Actually my biggest complaint is that in Megaforce they seemed completely unfamiliar with the previous Power Rangers, but now suddenly they know enough about them to know the team names and even to a degree their morphing phrases. Still doesn't seem completely terrible outside of all the unnecessary talking (but I'm used to that by now), and Troy still not having any sort of personality, and the oddness of Noah suddenly becoming a sword master.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actually my biggest complaint is that in Megaforce they seemed completely unfamiliar with the previous Power Rangers, but now suddenly they know enough about them to know the team names and even to a degree their morphing phrases.

They suddenly know these the same way every Super Sentai/PR team ever suddenly knows exactly what to yell in unison during team attacks or transformations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey, the other Gekirangers asked Jan to please stop screaming "pork cube stew" whenever they fired the GekiBazooka :v:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Brother Entropy posted:

They suddenly know these the same way every Super Sentai/PR team ever suddenly knows exactly what to yell in unison during team attacks or transformations.

When in doubt, just blame the Morphing Grid. Why do they know Kung fu? Morphing Grid. How do they know how to pilot a giant robot? Morphing Grid. What's up with the sparks and explosions? Morphing Grid.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Twelve by Pies posted:

But technically RPM was in an alternate dimension so they're not one of the teams that preceded Megaforce!

Future episode spoiler they get a distress signal from the RPM universe and go there to get the RPM keys

Also I just realized that Super Mega Win is the red ranger's catchphrase now. :ughh:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I will say when I watched the new episode, I actually kinda liked the first five minutes? It seemed like an attempt to actually show effects of this supposed invasion, with (what should have been) familiar locations in ruins and the rangers having to ambush enemies rather than fight in the open. Hell, they're so paranoid they almost try to fight Troy because they think he's an enemy before he reveals himself.

Otherwise though, I honestly wish they'd slotted in a whole extra episode's worth - or at least half!- of narrative from the point Gosei said the line 'the Earth has never seen an invasion of this scale before' (baloney, but whatever). At least have a little more suspense before you toss out the old toys for the new ones - show why the Megaforce powers alone aren't gonna be enough. Examine whats happened to the Rangers' social lives (if we had ever established those beyond Noah and the teacher) in the wake of, oh, the entire planet under attack. Both the first and last episodes of In Space got this relatively well, with the first episode dedicated mostly to the Turbo Rangers wandering around aimlessly in space because whilst they had heart, without their powers they had nothing resembling the means to do any good - but even in the cliffhanger they show the determination that comes with the suits. Countdown to Destruction saw the Megawinger destroyed, the Astro megaship prove overwhelmed, and the rangers tried fighting head on only to be beaten by sheer numbers - and are forced to mull over just what the heck they do, huddled around a fire in the middle of scrap, as civilians who have likely lost their homes wonder how exactly they're meant to go on as well.

Would it have been so hard for Gosei to just tell the rangers to wait a bit as he tries to jury rig something to try and turn the odds in their favour? I can buy concentrating the powers of nearly two dozen ranger teams into one set as needing a little effort.

For what its worth, the episode overall wasn't too bad, just very clearly rushed. My favourite part of the series was and continues to be Jake, both for the crack he gets in about how blatantly he's been ripped off, but also how they actually gave a slight handwave to him being more Doc-ish fighting style wise. He is having so much fun with the new ranger powers - you can hear it in his voice.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Legacy Titanus
So expensively cheap!

On another note, I really didn't like how Zyuranger introduced Ultimate Daizyujin. As soon as they introduced Sovereign Daizyujin, they went straight to Ultimate. Should have given Sovereign Daizyujin a few more episodes. Or maybe recycle footage to use it as a finisher a bit more often.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
More toy talk: look for something odd at 50 seconds in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2OalZlGu0E

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Saban just gets lazier and lazier. Check out the :51 mark.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The Gokai-Oh Megazord is a brave choice of name.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Saban just gets lazier and lazier. Check out the :51 mark.

So does this mean that they pirated the pirate sentai's subbed version?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Holy poo poo, they used TV-Nihon's subs. How did they not have legitimate footage to use?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
At this point, we're better off having the Kung Pow Chicken squad dub over the Japanese footage and release that on air.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just stumbled onto a couple of new scans about ToQuger - here be spoilers.

New robots

Sixth ranger

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raw Zyu2 footage including "new" Megazord fights.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just stumbled onto a couple of new scans about ToQuger - here be spoilers.

New robots

Sixth ranger

I know I shouldn't judge the series based solely on designs, but they're making it so hard not to.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

Raw Zyu2 footage including "new" Megazord fights.

I've waited so long for this.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

I know I shouldn't judge the series based solely on designs, but they're making it so hard not to.

I watched an unsubbed version of the first fight and robot fight today. Saban are going to regret skipping Go Busters soooooo much.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ChugChugger is so stupidly silly so far, I really hope Saban doesn't intend to play this one straight because they can never pull this one off.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

ChugChugger is so stupidly silly so far, I really hope Saban doesn't intend to play this one straight because they can never pull this one off.

Post-apocalyptic rainbow trains.

They can't board the trains to make the robot unless they swipe their cards and go through a turnstile.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm so confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iPZqVn_oY

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's the fact that I didn't sleep at all last night and this has been an extremely stressful day independent of that, but this is loving hilarious.
The fact that they did this, I mean. Not the terrible dialogue.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wait wait wait wait wait

So they hack Gokaiger to pieces so they don't have to explain all the non-US stuff and then go ahead and use Dairanger anyways?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait

So they hack Gokaiger to pieces so they don't have to explain all the non-US stuff and then go ahead and use Dairanger anyways?

They're going to reedit MMPR season 2 with the Dairanger footage. We have always been at war with Lord Zedd. :tinfoil:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm tempted to put a scene comparison of the posted battle because saying the Megaforce talk a lot more is a severe understatement.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"So we've only got 20 episodes for this 'year after the anniversary' series, we should probably be paring back the Sentai footage and refilming around it where necessary to just use stuff that was actually in Power Rangers right?"

"Nah, just throw the rest of the White Ranger's team in there! Why do they have them? Where do they come from? Won't that be weird if we use the full team morph later on? Doesn't matter, Gosei can just pull them out of his metaphorical arse!"

I rewatched the Ninja Storm/Dino Thunder teamup last night. It was nice to see some Power Rangers where the production team cared about what they were doing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wow, they couldn't even come up with a better name than "The New Powers"? That's loving terrible and to make matters worse they just pop out of no where. I wonder if they're gonna bring over any other sentai only teams?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
It's not actually new. Gosei just stole the White Ranger designs and made 5 more rangers based off it. Most of what he's done is just stolen from Zordon's emergency plans locker.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

This season might be my favorite for blatant "Lets not explain this!" action. :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized that the first appearance of the MMPR suits in Super Megaforce is going to be them getting the poo poo beaten out of them, since Saban was too cheap to give them original footage in episode 1.

I'd also like to point out that in the official anniversary season we saw the Dairanger suits before the MMPR suits.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2014

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Why didn't they use the sentai footage that the White Ranger came from at the time? Was it pure "We don't know if kids will keep watching if we use other footage"?

vvv That makes sense. After all, 20+ years later, the original PR is still what comes to mind for most.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

Was it pure "We don't know if kids will keep watching if we use other footage"?

Pretty much. They'd just found themselves with a big hit and didn't want to mess with brand recognition.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Pretty much. They'd just found themselves with a big hit and didn't want to mess with brand recognition.

The thing that gets me is that they willingly gave up two opportunities to sell kids another entire set of action figures to do this. (I know they sold the Kakurangers as the Alien Rangers but I imagine they didn't sell that well compared to the main team figures or even the ninja costume figures.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wish I liked the Ninja suits more than I did. The suits themselves are cool...but the bulky masks with bedsheet-ghost-costume style eyeholes just kill it for me.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The ninja pyjamas looked really cool in the movie. Substantially less so in the series.

And god, let us not discuss the disappointment over how incredibly lame the metallic armour was. I was hoping they'd found an excuse to bring in the movie suits, not have the Rangers attend a children's hobby meet :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The ninja pyjamas looked really cool in the movie. Substantially less so in the series.

And god, let us not discuss the disappointment over how incredibly lame the metallic armour was. I was hoping they'd found an excuse to bring in the movie suits, not have the Rangers attend a children's hobby meet :qq:

If I recall, the metallic armor was originally going to be the movie suits, but they were so flimsy that they barely survived the movie, let alone being in storage and then wheeled out for TV shooting.