Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Goddamn misclick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Well yes when you say "muscle cars will remain popular because there aren't many good driver's cars from the 80s" and then totally neglect an entire continent worth of cars then maybe your analysis is a bit flawed?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Also calling the average muscle car a "driver's car" is pretty drat laughable. Most of them in stock form were good for hauling rear end in a straight line but turning was still a scary, foreign concept. They are pretty to look at, for sure.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tai-Pan posted:

But guess what? Those cars are hard to keep on the road now and keeping those computers up and running 20 years from now will border on the impossible. My guess is that in 10 years the only running 3000gt VR-4 will be in a Mitsubishi museum.

To be honest though, no body cares about Mitsubishi and their shody electronics.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Also calling the average muscle car a "driver's car" is pretty drat laughable. Most of them in stock form were good for hauling rear end in a straight line but turning was still a scary, foreign concept. They are pretty to look at, for sure.

My roads are straight thank you very much I live in a conservative state. I turn when I get to my destination.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
First gen mustang parts are cheap because Ford sold two and a half million of them, not because cars from the 60's just magically are cheaper. Go price NOS trim pieces for a 1967 Camaro RS/SS and let me know how 'cheap' they are.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Terrible Robot posted:

In the sense that they can be driven at highway speeds regularly. I don't meant to say they will out handle an E46, of course.

HotCanadianChick posted:

First gen mustang parts are cheap because Ford sold two and a half million of them, not because cars from the 60's just magically are cheaper. Go price NOS trim pieces for a 1967 Camaro RS/SS and let me know how 'cheap' they are.
No one said they were magically cheaper. Just cheaper.
Obscure trim parts are going to be expensive, and increase over time, for any car. We have to assume you are not regularly wrapping your vehicles around trees. Notice I never said "restore from the ground up" I said "keep on the road".

You guys are all taking a weird position on this. My only point was that, by and large, cars from the 80s are worth less and will become increasinly expensive to keep on the road. These are both factually true.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 22, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Generalized car knowledge has progressed, so as cars became more advanced, the ability of the enthusiast to maintain/repair even more complicated systems than the previous technology iterations progresses as well. I'm not saying the average 3000GT enthusiast owner can successfully diagnose and repair issues with the active aerodynamics, but more that they probably know more about that system than someone who isn't interested in said car. Its a combination of the average enthusiast's modern technical knowledge increasing, and by the existence of Internet car forums. Car clubs aren't new at all, but the exposure potential and speed dwarfs even the largest in-person car clubs.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

I'll give him 5500 if he puts the stock wheels back on.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Tai-Pan posted:

Things got better in the 90's with the return of non-poo poo box pony cars and solid Japanese rivals (300zx, Rx-7, etc).
But guess what? Those cars are hard to keep on the road now and keeping those computers up and running 20 years from now will border on the impossible. My guess is that in 10 years the only running 3000gt VR-4 will be in a Mitsubishi museum.

So where does that leave the "car guys" over the next 20 years? Well, there are a handful of post-70s cars that will be affordable to keep on the road (Miatas, 240zs, Fox-bodies, some mercedes). But if want a sexy car, that you can afford and keep on the road you will have to consider something from the Muscle car era.

I'd expect aftermarket computer options to become increasingly prevalent as the stock electronics in cars from the 80s and beyond degrade in greater numbers. The Internet makes it wayyyyy easier for the specialized knowledge required to keep things going or modify them to spread too.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Hooters Etailer posted:

I'd expect aftermarket computer options to become increasingly prevalent as the stock electronics in cars from the 80s and beyond degrade in greater numbers. The Internet makes it wayyyyy easier for the specialized knowledge required to keep things going or modify them to spread too.
Sure, and things like the megasquirt are a good example of this, but even with expert knowledge, can you imagine the difficulty of re-wiring for every computer controlled component in something as simple as a miata? Let alone something like an FD RX-7?

Again, I am not saying it cannot be done, but as the difficulty and cost rise, the number of people willing to undertake it falls.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think the big issue will be keeping those cars around long enough for them to become popular enough for someone to reverse engineer, produce, and sell electronics for them.

I'm sure someone will come out with aftermarket electronics for whatever ends up being the 80s equivalent of a '69 muscle car (probably M and AMG cars) but how many boring-but-could-be-popular-in-20-years cars are just going to get scrapped because they can't pass inspection? I'm not sure there are going to be a bunch of 3000GTs sitting around in barns for people to find. By the time all those cars become popular enough again they may be so niche that replacement electronics will be horribly expensive.

Also, who the gently caress is going to be willing to take on the liability of producing aftermarket SRS electronics.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I am actually legit concerned that this will happen to my Celica as time goes by, especially the ECU and such. It's the bastard generation; first FWD gen, and the only car period that got the 3SGE in the US, for only 4 years. Really only the All-Tracs get any sort of attention anymore, and those are rare as hell already. Hell I know for a fact that the very last NOS wiring harness for them was sold to a guy in Maryland.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 22, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tai-Pan posted:

Sure, and things like the megasquirt are a good example of this, but even with expert knowledge, can you imagine the difficulty of re-wiring for every computer controlled component in something as simple as a miata? Let alone something like an FD RX-7?

I think that's why Miatas are going to get even more popular because they ARE easy to work on. Even if you had to completely re wire a Miata with a stand alone ecu it's relatively simple, never mind the ginormous aftermarket that supports them. As far as the affordability/fun/easy to work on ratio they're going to be hard to beat.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Galler posted:

I'm sure someone will come out with aftermarket electronics for whatever ends up being the 80s equivalent of a '69 muscle car (probably M and AMG cars) but how many boring-but-could-be-popular-in-20-years cars are just going to get scrapped because they can't pass inspection? I'm not sure there are going to be a bunch of 3000GTs sitting around in barns for people to find. By the time all those cars become popular enough again they may be so niche that replacement electronics will be horribly expensive.

Also, who the gently caress is going to be willing to take on the liability of producing aftermarket SRS electronics.

Yeah... That's actually an excellent point. There are a lot of jurisdictions with fixed cutoffs for emissions testing that end up killing a lot of cars when they're in the 'beater' price bracket and just not worth pumping the cash into if there's a blocker to registration renewal.

With regards to SRS, I'd fully expect that stuff to just be left non-functioning by a decent number of enthusiasts. Or, with early generation SRS vehicles, the model years just before the giant ugly airbag containing steering wheels became standard would become the most collectible.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't know much about these, but this seems like a fair price?

quote:

For sale is a 1999 AM General M35A3 2 and a 1/2 ton truck. Truck is in very good condition and runs excellent with only 9,800 miles and 750 hours. Unlike the old M35,s the A3 has a 3116 Caterpillar turbocharged engine, an Allison automatic transmission, and power steering. Also included is a set of fiberglass racks with folding troop seats. A CDL is not required to drive this truck, it currently has commercial pickup license plates, and insurance is only $141.00 for 6 months. This truck is ready to drive and needs nothing. The following items have just been replaced: New Arctic insulated soft top $350, new steering wheel $140, new signal flasher $75, new Mobil 90wt oil in all 3 differentials and transfer case $125, new filters and fluid in the transmission $135, new serpentine and v-belts on engine $70, Castrol 15w-40 engine oil and Cat filter $125, new drivers door latch assembly $90. You will not be disappointed with this truck. Asking $8500 or best offer. For more info call 740-669-3204 and ask for Jim. Would be willing to trade up or down on a compact or subcompact tractor with belly mower, 4wd, and hydro transmission, loader would be a plus.

What are those 'weight' looking things on the rims?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Covers for CTIS I think. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_tire_inflation_system

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4340901352.html

:parrot:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Terrible Robot posted:

I am actually legit concerned that this will happen to my Celica as time goes by, especially the ECU and such. It's the bastard generation; first FWD gen, and the only car period that got the 3SGE in the US, for only 4 years. Really only the All-Tracs get any sort of attention anymore, and those are rare as hell already. Hell I know for a fact that the very last NOS wiring harness for them was sold to a guy in Maryland.

The 3SGE went into tonnes of models over a very long period of time in Japan so its still going to be possible, if not convenient, to get parts.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4343611397.html

So usually the "manuel" inclusion is a misspelling, but this one doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the Wagoneer didn't have a column shift setup in the late 80's. Also, $7200 for a Wagoneer with body damage? People are crazy.

Hooters Etailer posted:

With regards to SRS, I'd fully expect that stuff to just be left non-functioning by a decent number of enthusiasts. Or, with early generation SRS vehicles, the model years just before the giant ugly airbag containing steering wheels became standard would become the most collectible.

This is a problem with my Roadmaster, but only because the horn connections are in front of the airbag and require it to be removed to fix the horn. I just put in a horn button on the dash, not worth loving with the airbag.

edit

A Pepto-Bismol donk. Now I've seen it all.

nitrogen posted:

I'll give him 5500 if he puts the stock wheels back on.

Whenever I ask someone selling a donk this they get really indignant.

edit edit

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4327542675.html

Thought the engine image was funny. Guess he should've updated the picture at some point.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 22, 2014

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Saab Trailblazer?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dubious posted:

Saab Trailblazer?

Yes, they are a real thing that exists. I laugh my rear end off and point whenever I see one, because anyone that buys a Trailblazer with SAAB badges slapped on should be ridiculed forever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4342729462.html

That's an interesting choice for a set of swangaz. Would be immensely fun to troll the local Bentley owner's club, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I stumbled across this a few days ago:

Craigslist posted:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4314092989.html
2013 Hyundai Genesis - $8000 (San Antonio)
Tried to do a driftaru and it didn't turn out well, mom is pissed, dad is buying me a Lotus Exige though so gently caress it aha. gently caress Yummi Berry and gently caress all youu h8rs

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Terrible Robot posted:

Yes, they are a real thing that exists. I laugh my rear end off and point whenever I see one, because anyone that buys a Trailblazer with SAAB badges slapped on should be ridiculed forever.

Pretty much this. Almost everyone went with the 5.3, too. The trollblazer did come in a pretty blue, though.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

The 08 model was basically a trailblazer SS(came w/ the LS2) and you can get them fairly cheap because no one wants a saab anymore.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

When I worked at a Honda dealer I would constantly laugh to myself at people who honestly thought their Passport was an actual Honda.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4343611397.html

So usually the "manuel" inclusion is a misspelling, but this one doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure the Wagoneer didn't have a column shift setup in the late 80's. Also, $7200 for a Wagoneer with body damage? People are crazy.

I'm pretty sure Manuel is the name of the seller. It says it's an automatic elsewhere on the page.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Other-GL-CA-White-91-Plymouth-Colt-GT-DSM-Muscle-Car-One-owner-3K-miles-on-hemi-motor-/251455984399

Another old Mitsubishi hatchback, nothing to see here.

:sigh:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm pretty sure Manuel is the name of the seller. It says it's an automatic elsewhere on the page.

And he's smoking crack.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Very fast! Must use extreme care when operating or you'll smash into the back of someone! Must bring truck, many extra DSM parts go with this car.

You will need the parts. My emphasis.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
1975 Toyota Celica GT - $4000 (Lorena, TX)
(mine)
http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4345607206.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's a nice photo right there.

Probably want to change the link, though, the forums are locked.

Also, trade me your Celica for my Roadmaster.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I'm sitting here trying my damnedest to figure out what you mean by the forums are locked.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you don't have an account most of the subforums are inaccessible.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

AI is still visible, I just checked.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

:shrug:

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Galler posted:

Ok. I get it. Hmmm. I guess I will just remove the link. Thanks.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 23, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Citycop posted:

1975 Toyota Celica GT - $4000 (Lorena, TX)
(mine)
http://waco.craigslist.org/cto/4345607206.html

quote:

On that note, feel free to try and scam me. Send me your email and make your ridiculous request. Explain to me your story about being a Nigerian prince that just needs a bank account number. I would love to hear it and if you can get over on me you deserve what you get. Bring your best game though, as I have heard all of it before many times.

Did you ever get 2 am TTY-operator calls where the speaker tried to approximate the broken and nonsensical English of the caller, who had all the details of the vehicle wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

no.... no I can't say I've ever got that one. Who the hell falls for crap like that..