Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The ninja pyjamas looked really cool in the movie. Substantially less so in the series.

And god, let us not discuss the disappointment over how incredibly lame the metallic armour was. I was hoping they'd found an excuse to bring in the movie suits, not have the Rangers attend a children's hobby meet :qq:

Ugh, thanks for reminding me! The worst thing about that was they hyped it up for several episodes only to reveal those weird glittery versions of their costumes. Which, of course, matched the stupid glittery versions of the toys that came out at the same time as the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't mind the ninja pyjamas themselves, but I hated how their silly hijinks replaced the unmorphed fights in the show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

jivjov posted:

If I recall, the metallic armor was originally going to be the movie suits, but they were so flimsy that they barely survived the movie, let alone being in storage and then wheeled out for TV shooting.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the suit actor for Tommy split the crotch open just doing warm-up kicks one day, and rolled right into a photo shoot. Clearly not well-designed suits, not like Toei makes for the Rider shows anyway.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think we are forgetting the biggest offense of the Metallic Armor. It appeared no more than 3 times. Yay, all that hype for nothing!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the suit actor for Tommy split the crotch open just doing warm-up kicks one day, and rolled right into a photo shoot. Clearly not well-designed suits, not like Toei makes for the Rider shows anyway.

The bigger disappointment is that there was a suit actor for the White Ranger. JDF should do all his own stunts...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Everything after they got the thunderzords was pretty terrible.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

jivjov posted:

The bigger disappointment is that there was a suit actor for the White Ranger. JDF should do all his own stunts...

Hey, he was in the Green Ranger suit fighting Goldar in the Dark Dimension :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSlhuiJQRNA

I keep forgetting they do really awkward cuts in the fight scenes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

If I recall, the metallic armor was originally going to be the movie suits, but they were so flimsy that they barely survived the movie, let alone being in storage and then wheeled out for TV shooting.

Also the movie suits were made of heavier materials than suits usually are, so safety of the actors/stuntmen was probably a factor.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Tae posted:

I keep forgetting they do really awkward cuts in the fight scenes.
Seems wrong with overtime subs after that Bandai thing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dino Charge bumped to 2016

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Power Rangers: New Powers is a much better name than Super Megaforce.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've watched this like five times and I just keep getting more and more pissed off.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

Everything after they got the thunderzords was pretty terrible.

The Shogun Megazord was awesome and I'll hear nothing to the contrary. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

When I found out they reversed the order of mechas from Kakuranger, I was blown away. The giant robot made of castles was actually the weakest of the mecha :psyduck:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To be fair, giant castle men look way more imposing than frogs and stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BS3GHrJ44

Man, I don't think the corny, constant talking wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they stopped using those absolutely terrible SFX. Pew Pew pew.

edit: video fixed.

Tae fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 23, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, giant castle men look way more imposing than frogs and stuff.

But that's the point, Saban did it the logical and traditional way(the poor mech-suit actors usually get so much crap piled on them by the end of the season that they probably don't even need to be in the suit), and Toei had the normal-dude looking one be the upgrade.

SUPER-MEGA-NINJA-PIRATE-EDIT: Good god... the more you hear 'Super-Mega ____' the dumber it sounds, especially when they're poo-pooing something similar but more reasonable, like 'ultra'.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2014

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey wow they mostly shut up and just did normal fight noises apart from the Power Rangers New Powers sequence.

Super Megaforce 02 would've been a perfectly serviceable episode if it wasn't for the Dairanger mess.

Also, Troy, maybe put your Morpher on vibrate while scoping out the bad guys huh?

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 23, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

After all the :derp: related to the New Powers segment (which is still stupid), that was not bad at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's a lot of original footage, maybe that's where all the budget went.

The original Gokaiger was about the team getting the Ultimate Powers of each team from the original owners after some tests. This episode was originally the pirates meeting the SPD/Dekaranger Dog officer, and he gives them access to the Car mode.

I guess it was cheaper to shoot footage with the Gosei Suits than add in Doggie from SPD.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Tae posted:

That's a lot of original footage, maybe that's where all the budget went.

The original Gokaiger was about the team getting the Ultimate Powers of each team from the original owners after some tests. This episode was originally the pirates meeting the SPD/Dekaranger Dog officer, and he gives them access to the Car mode.

I guess it was cheaper to shoot footage with the Gosei Suits than add in Doggie from SPD.

Sad they couldn't bring back the SPD theme.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah it looks like this isn't going to be a Gokaiger retread of "Meet previous Rangers and get their powers!" I guess it's just going to be "Hey you used this power a lot, now you can do a thing" and maybe there will be cameos along the way or maybe they're just saving it for the actual war that Troy keeps having visions of. I don't remember which actors were confirmed to return so maybe it's just nobody from SPD could come/they didn't extend an offer to them. I guess we'll have to wait until the Wild Force or Samurai episodes to find out.

And while I guess I sort of understand why they're going this route but it is getting a little tiresome of having Gosei say "YOU EARNED THIS YOU EARNED THAT" like he's just got this mountain of goodies stashed away and you don't get them until he thinks you're good enough. This usually wasn't the case in previous seasons, the upgrades/new powers they got they usually had to find or it was a matter of "I just finished making this for you guys." It was rarely ever a "You had this all along but I just didn't feel like telling you about it/didn't think you deserved it until now" deal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Zjc_xalX0

So I mentioned there was a lot of original footage, which contributes to them slowing down on the excessive quipping. They also are doing just 1 episode worth of footage, and heavily cut most of it as well. There IS an awkward moment before beating the bad guy where they stare at nothing on their left, which is when Doggy comes along.

I still don't like whoever their editor is. He does this weird thing where when dialogue HAS to be spoken among action, he mutes the poo poo out of everything else except the speaker. There's an example in the last scene of the video.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I never liked the movie suit designs myself, even as a kid. Something inherent to Power Rangers, for me, is the spandex* suits.

* RPM joke here.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't kill me.

These two episodes haven't been that bad ignoring the lazy footage use and talking. Its kinda hard to gently caress up a season like Gokaiger.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
My favorite moment in all of Power Rangers was finding out Lord Zedd is Jewish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aIjuV5AGM

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

ToQger has loving fantastic villain designs. The Shadow Line dudes are incredible looking, holy poo poo. I don't think there's been a set of villains who have cohesively looked this great since Shinkenger.

Even the generic goons are awesome!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Ninjasaurus posted:

My favorite moment in all of Power Rangers was finding out Lord Zedd is Jewish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61aIjuV5AGM

It goes deeper man. I just finished watching I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger where his plan is to hijack Santa's Workshop and force the elves to make mind control tops to enslave the children. Essentially, world domination by dreadel.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Liar Lyre posted:

It goes deeper man. I just finished watching I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger where his plan is to hijack Santa's Workshop and force the elves to make mind control tops to enslave the children. Essentially, world domination by dreadel.

Oh my. I somehow did not make that connection until just now.

Mazel tov! :jewish:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ToQger has loving fantastic villain designs. The Shadow Line dudes are incredible looking, holy poo poo. I don't think there's been a set of villains who have cohesively looked this great since Shinkenger.

Even the generic goons are awesome!

The goons are fantastic, since their hats and coats make them look either classy awesome or like goony bros, according to the differing opinions of my watching group at the first episode. Either way, they're great.

Absolutely in love after the first episode, by the way. Initial character impression is strong, the fights were great, and their henshin + "roll" call pose is perfect. The Conductor is, as someone else said, Cakeboss-esque, which I love. Can't wait to see more!

Ticket may become more annoying, but for the moment my tolerance is high because he is Usopp.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 24, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ugh, I loving cringed hard when Conductor and Ticket rolled in. There's more train characters coming in the second episode, and they decide to have a dickhole handpuppet with an annoying voice as well? Conductor isn't awful, but... he's not even mysterious and weird so far like Owner from Den-O, as some people are saying, he's just some friendly dude with a puppet who screams IMAGINATIOOOOON.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Holy poo poo, this is so lazy and makes no perfect sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMH6R3QPrH8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo, this is so lazy and makes no perfect sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMH6R3QPrH8

So they just took a scene from Gokaiger, translated it and substituted the American actors? Has Power Rangers ever done this before(Not counting the morphed footage of course)?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

So they just took a scene from Gokaiger, translated it and substituted the American actors? Has Power Rangers ever done this before(Not counting the morphed footage of course)?

They do it all the time, but the Saban 2.0 era has been really lazy about this.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9CkwCZsOk

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 27, 2014

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So, I'm guessing this Noah guy isn't a swordsman-type character at all before that scene, right?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

His character was "wears glasses cuz he's a NERD. NERDDDDDDDDDDD. PLEASE REMEMBER BILLY AND IMAGINE HE'S BILLY INSTEAD".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

That mole beneath Noah's lip is really distracting. It makes me think he's got a piercing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I made my girlfriend, who started watching from about dino thunder on, watch Super Megaforce episodes 1 and 2 and now I'm pretty sure she wants to leave me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

SpazmasterX posted:

I made my girlfriend, who started watching from about dino thunder on, watch Super Megaforce episodes 1 and 2 and now I'm pretty sure she wants to leave me.

Serves you right for forcing somebody through Super Megaforce.