Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Caught up on True Detective today. It's okay. Picked up quite a bit the last two episodes, now I'm genuinely interested to see where it goes. Don't really understand all the hype though. It's well shot and well-acted, sure, but that isn't enough to sell me on a show. Maybe if the first three episodes had been condensed into one (cut out a few of those Rust monologues), I'd be on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

Caught up on True Detective today. It's okay. Picked up quite a bit the last two episodes, now I'm genuinely interested to see where it goes. Don't really understand all the hype though. It's well shot and well-acted, sure, but that isn't enough to sell me on a show. Maybe if the first three episodes had been condensed into one (cut out a few of those Rust monologues), I'd be on board.

I'm glad you kinda like it, at least.

I feel, however, that it's like a really fancy meal, with subtle hints and flavors and presentation and techniques used for the preparation that would get lost on someone who might not be familiar with those aspects and who is just sorta hungry and wanting to eat.

I think you're watching it the way you watch it, so it's not wrong, but there are a lot of really interesting concepts and executions both technically and narratively that happen and could be missed. There's a lot to the show and I like it because I can actively engage a little more strongly than with many other shows. Also, the acting is really fantastic and the three periods of time are actually pretty distinct with regards to their characters.

All that being said, I have been watching House of Cards and I think it's been pretty fun so far. I guess I was kind of expecting it to somehow be like West Wing, but it's a lot more visceral and intimate and I enjoy that. I still am not a big fan of the soliloquy breaks by Frank, but I like his wife's wavering of self over the show. All in all it's definitely a thing I'd recommend to people.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Carbon Thief posted:

I finally got around to starting The Shield last weekend and now I've blasted my way through to the end of season 4 already. This show is amazing and I don't want to run out of it so soon but I can't stop watching.

Oh man, to watch The Shield for the first time...I envy you.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

bobkatt013 posted:

Get ready to have cocksucker enter your everyday vocabulary

I just... want to call EVERYBODY a cocksucker now. It's such an amazing, and undervalued word in the English language.

Also, is it just me, or is Deadwood a really funny show? I find myself busting up laughing at least 4 or 5 times per episode, and of course, giggling every time someone says cocksucker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Exploder posted:

I just... want to call EVERYBODY a cocksucker now. It's such an amazing, and undervalued word in the English language.

Also, is it just me, or is Deadwood a really funny show? I find myself busting up laughing at least 4 or 5 times per episode, and of course, giggling every time someone says cocksucker.

It can be hilarious one second and then have really dark moments. Poor Veronica

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exploder posted:

anyone that doesn't say cocksucker everyday, sucks cocks by choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

All that being said, I have been watching House of Cards and I think it's been pretty fun so far. I guess I was kind of expecting it to somehow be like West Wing, but it's a lot more visceral and intimate and I enjoy that. I still am not a big fan of the soliloquy breaks by Frank, but I like his wife's wavering of self over the show. All in all it's definitely a thing I'd recommend to people.

Do check out the British version if you enjoy the remake!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

richardfun posted:

Oh man, to watch The Shield for the first time...I envy you.

Yeah, and the ending is one of the best series endings I've seen along with Six Feet Under albeit in different ways. Where SFU is poignant, The Shield is....uh..intense.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'm about halfway through Season 8 of Supernatural and I was wondering does Jeffery Dean Morgan ever show up again? I really like him. I'll take a guess that he doesn't since he hasn't been on the show for like 6 or 7 years.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm about halfway through Season 8 of Supernatural and I was wondering does Jeffery Dean Morgan ever show up again? I really like him. I'll take a guess that he doesn't since he hasn't been on the show for like 6 or 7 years.

Not as yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

He's said he won't show up again until the final season, which is probably a while off.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I just finished season 2 of Deadwood, and I am starting to get really bummed out that I only have one more season to go. Did this show just get terrible ratings or what? It is, without a doubt, one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's right up there with Breaking Bad, The Shield, and The Wire, in my opinion. It might make number 2 on my list if the third season is as good as the first two.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Exploder posted:

I just finished season 2 of Deadwood, and I am starting to get really bummed out that I only have one more season to go. Did this show just get terrible ratings or what? It is, without a doubt, one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's right up there with Breaking Bad, The Shield, and The Wire, in my opinion. It might make number 2 on my list if the third season is as good as the first two.

Pretty much.

HBO was still finding their footing when it came to excellent critically acclaimed shows that were expensive and had trouble finding an audience early on, so, like Rome and Carnivale, it got cancelled. IIRC, there was a change in leadership since then and they regret those decisions. Since then they've been a lot more focused on building their brand by making great television independent of nielson ratings, and now even support a lot of shows (Treme, Boardwalk Empire) with negotiated end dates so the creators get a chance to give their stories closure.

The third season isn't nearly as good, but its still a great show.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Exploder posted:

The show runner David Milch was also literally a heroin addict during the production of the last seasons that seemed to have not helped the show's case. Or so I read in the Deadwood thread anyway.

To me it was a show that seemed like it had a lot of painstakingly well done dialogue, writing and cinematography that was partially ruined because I just didn't understand what the gently caress was going on at many points. Maybe it's time to give it a re-visit. :downs:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The show runner David Milch was also literally a heroin addict during the production of the last seasons that seemed to have not helped the show's case. Or so I read in the Deadwood thread anyway.

To me it was a show that seemed like it had a lot of painstakingly well done dialogue, writing and cinematography that was partially ruined because I just didn't understand what the gently caress was going on at many points. Maybe it's time to give it a re-visit. :downs:

I am not sure how much of that is true, as the very next year they had John from Cincinnati

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

As I understand, Deadwood and Rome (particularly Rome) were expensive productions that they believed didn't have the viewing figures to support. In the long run they ended up profitable through stuff like dvd sales but this wasn't recognised in time to keep them running. Which is obviously a massive shame. HBO were then able to invest in big productions like Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones without having to focus only on their subscription figures to work out if they were viable financially.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah, I often have to rewind to figure out what the gently caress people are saying, specifically when it came to business transactions and the Yankton/Montana stuff. But I've watched so much of it in the past week or so that I'm starting to talk like I'm from the old west.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Has anybody here watched the Newsroom? And how was it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mrfart posted:

Has anybody here watched the Newsroom? And how was it?

Aaron Sorkin at his most smug.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stay away from The Newsroom.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Generally? Kinda eh. It's Sorkin to the max so it's full of its own importance (among some other problems). It has moments of flash that remind you of how good The West Wing was, Sam Waterson is great, and Season 2 is generally better than Season 1 (but not by much).

If you really enjoy Sorkin, there's a lot worse you could watch but a lot of it will feel familiar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Sports Night, West Wing, Studio 60, Social Network, and even Charlie Wilson's War is ok. Stay the gently caress away from The Newsroom.

There are too many good dramas right now to waste time on his barf.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Mu Zeta posted:

I love Sports Night, West Wing, Studio 60, Social Network, and even Charlie Wilson's War is ok. Stay the gently caress away from The Newsroom.

There are too many good dramas right now to waste time on his barf.

Thanks for the advice, I was just curious. I'll stay away from it.
Although I liked charlie wilson's war (mainly because of philip seymour hoffman)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sorkin's movies are all pretty good. His TV series post-West Wing have been mostly mediocre and repetitive of his earlier TV work.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Exploder posted:

Yeah, I often have to rewind to figure out what the gently caress people are saying, specifically when it came to business transactions and the Yankton/Montana stuff. But I've watched so much of it in the past week or so that I'm starting to talk like I'm from the old west.

If by 'talk like you're from the old west' you mean 'swear as every other word in every sentence, regardless of context', then it has this exact effect on me.

I would say I'm binging on Boardwalk Empire at the minute but the first season is quite slow, and I've found it a bit of a drag to go back to. It's really well made, but there's just too many similar characters (men in suits organising some sort of crime) that I forget who's who.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would have been great if David Milch decided to be more accurate and have the characters say "tarnation" or "nincompoop" for their swearing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching seaQuest DSV, which is better than I expected it to be. It's a bit of fun.

Although I've heard dubious reviews, I'm actually kinda curious to see the third season (when it was retitled seaQuest 2032 and time-skipped ten years into the future) but the only home release is in Australia and my laptop can only play Region 2 discs.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Greyish Orange posted:

If by 'talk like you're from the old west' you mean 'swear as every other word in every sentence, regardless of context', then it has this exact effect on me.

I would say I'm binging on Boardwalk Empire at the minute but the first season is quite slow, and I've found it a bit of a drag to go back to. It's really well made, but there's just too many similar characters (men in suits organising some sort of crime) that I forget who's who.

Yeah, the first season is kind of difficult to get through, but stick with it if you like the setting and production value. The characters really start to differentiate themselves towards the end of the season and into the second season. You'll really start to form strong opinions about the characters instead of looking at them as generic goons.

Mu Zeta posted:

It would have been great if David Milch decided to be more accurate and have the characters say "tarnation" or "nincompoop" for their swearing.

I have to say, "hooplehead" is an excellent word I've never heard prior to watching this show, and I intend to use it in everyday speech.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
If you change your mind and do end up watching the show, or at least the pilot, the best advice I could give you is to stay away from the Seasons 1/2 threads.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm watching seaQuest DSV, which is better than I expected it to be. It's a bit of fun.

Although I've heard dubious reviews, I'm actually kinda curious to see the third season (when it was retitled seaQuest 2032 and time-skipped ten years into the future) but the only home release is in Australia and my laptop can only play Region 2 discs.

It's on US Netflix, so if you're clever and have the internet, it's available.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I see. I only have the internet.

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

DarkCrawler posted:

Oh man, thank Jesus. I started watching this and think the serial aspect of the show is interesting as hell but the criminal of the week stuff bores me to tears, I have no earthly idea why they are bothering with that. :psyduck: guess I'll keep going.

So many shows do that crap though. Justified, Fringe, etc. until they realize that criminal/monster of the week well, sucks. I just don't know why to do that in the first place.

The real answer is that that's how you survive on network TV. Especially CBS. For the most part, CBS won't even look at your show unless you have a procedural element (this is changing a teeny bit but not much). So it's not that the writers on these shows are refusing to give up on this case of the week thing they really believe in. That's just how you stay uncancelled.

Just look around the internet at the people who get really upset when Person of Interest does serialized stuff. There's a whole contingent of people who get confused and upset they're not doing a case of the week. That's a huge portion of their audience.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Honestly there's something to be said for Case of the Week stuff. I mean yeah I enjoy serialized stuff, but sometimes I just want to pick 6-7 random Law & Order episodes and just roll with them, and it works fine as long as you accept that different actors will play the cops and/or ADAs.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
Rectify popped up recently on Netflix. Started watching it and a couple episodes in am impressed with the story and acting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished watching The Fades. I really liked it and thought the characters were pretty well fleshed out or amusing. It lasted a good amount of time, it's sad it was canceled but six episodes was a really good length for the story it was telling.

It got a bit more supernaturally inclined right near the end, but what happened surrounding that was pretty great, so it was easy to just ignore or overlook.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Newsroom is lazy, patriarchal in the extreme, and full of just plain stupid characterisation. All of it hung on a premise that has been clumsily, and sometimes tastelessly, mishandled.
It's Sorkin harking back to the good old days of news, when men were white men and women shut the gently caress up.

The second season is notably better than the first (not hard at all) but still, Olivia Munn and Thomas Sadoski are the only reasons to watch that programme. Neither of them were meant to be the main draw, yet they are the only two (in a pretty stellar cast) who have managed to transcend the utter fucktastrophe of reactionary smug bullshit that Sorkin has excreted.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I just finished Deadwood, and I miss it already. It's... unfair that it was cut down in its prime, but at least we got 3 seasons of it. And at least I managed to pace myself and not blow through it in a few days, as I am usually want to do. I have the urge to immediately re-watch it, because I want more of it so much. I figure this is a pointless exercise, but is there anything you guys would suggest that is remotely close? I figure the number one suggestion will be Justified, and I do need to get on that, but I don't have a Prime membership yet. Also, I tried Hell on Wheels, and got bored of it halfway through the second season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Exploder posted:

I just finished Deadwood, and I miss it already. It's... unfair that it was cut down in its prime, but at least we got 3 seasons of it. And at least I managed to pace myself and not blow through it in a few days, as I am usually want to do. I have the urge to immediately re-watch it, because I want more of it so much. I figure this is a pointless exercise, but is there anything you guys would suggest that is remotely close? I figure the number one suggestion will be Justified, and I do need to get on that, but I don't have a Prime membership yet. Also, I tried Hell on Wheels, and got bored of it halfway through the second season.

Yeah, those two shows are probably the closest to what you're looking for in terms of modern TV shows. The only other current TV Western I'm aware of is Longmire, which I haven't seen but other TVIVers have said nice things about. Beyond that, you might want to give Banshee a try. It's not a western and it's more focused on being viscerally entertaining than tightly plotted but a lot of the same elements are there and the protagonist Sheriff and main local mob boss have a tolerate/hate relationship similar to that between Bullock and Swearengen.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In the last weeks I worked through 30 Rock, I'm almost at s7 now.
I don't understand how I always skipped over this, I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
For all you hoopleheads, Hitfix.com just put out a half hour Deadwood documentary, narrated by Jim Beaver, as a tribute to the show's upcoming 10th anniversary.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/a-lie-agreed-upon-looking-back-at-david-milchs-deadwood