Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Beyond sane knolls posted:

The last few times I've tried a no-knead, it developed a really tough crust on top after a ~12-hour rising period. A pretty tough, gross, bubbly crust. Would this be a result of too much saturation or too warm of an environment?

Of evaporated milk? drat dude.

Sounds like exposure to oxygen by the outmost layer of dough, to me. Dehydration maybe. Did you have it covered with plastic wrap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The last few times I've tried a no-knead, it developed a really tough crust on top after a ~12-hour rising period. A pretty tough, gross, bubbly crust. Would this be a result of too much saturation or too warm of an environment?

Of evaporated milk? drat dude.

The dough? I cover mine with oiled plastic film to prevent this.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
drat, that's gotta be it, since lately I've just been wrapping up the bowl with a big cloth. Thanks, y'all.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you prefer, you can also lightly (LIGHTLY!) oil the top of the loaf.

Or use a lidded Cambro. I like a 6qt.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

drat, that's gotta be it, since lately I've just been wrapping up the bowl with a big cloth. Thanks, y'all.

I use a piece of oiled parchment paper (in case the dough rises more than I can anticipate) and then a damp cloth / tea towel on top of that, to keep the humidity nice and high and keep the top from drying out. Works like a charm, particularly when I put it on top of my oven (when it's on) to rise.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Poolish ciabatta from The Bread Baker's Apprentice:

I swear that's not cat hair on the pillow, it's just fraying a bit :saddowns:

Crumb could've been better, I messed with the dough too much when I tried to get it onto the couche.

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 23, 2014

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
One thing you should know about the ciabatta recipe from BBA is that it is relatively low in hydration (roughly 65ish percent, if I recall). Peter Reinhart suggests that as you become more comfortable with wet doughs you increase the hydration level. I've found increasing the amount of water in the recipie to 8 ounces really helps the crumb open up more.

Pic related.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'll try that next time, once I get a proper dough mat and bench scraper. Trying to scrape this stuff off my textured counter using a kitchen knife was not fun :downs:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tried the cinnamon roll recipe from BBA on Friday. I made the mistake of trying to cream the butter and sugar by hand :suicide:. Overall it turned out fine, though I had to let the dough rest a bit to roll it out enough. I'm not entirely sure about his thickness specification of 2/3 of an inch since that seemed a bit too thick after rising. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures, but they were nice and fluffy.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 24, 2014

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
It's a lot easier to cream butter and sugar by hand if you heat the butter slightly to soften it beforehand.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Doctor posted:

It's a lot easier to cream butter and sugar by hand if you heat the butter slightly to soften it beforehand.

I think I didn't wait long enough for it to warm up sufficiently. Doing it in a metal bowl probably wasn't a good idea either since the butter just slid around.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What can I do to keep my challah from splitting apart on top? I feel like it ruins the presentation of the braids, but otherwise I am totally happy with it.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Speaking of the BBA, I got it last week and have been making all sorts of things - cinnamon rolls (two times!), lavash crackers (cumin seeds, smoked paprika, kosher salt on top), a batard from the french bred recipe, and from the white bread recipe, some hamburger-ish sized buns. For the cinnamon rolls, the first time I stretched the dough out way too thin (no rolling pin at the time) and the rolls were crunchy on the outside. The second time while I didn't go to his exact dimensions, but the same thickness as he suggested. They're just a little thick at that thickness, yeah.. Still delicious :) I don't know if I made the fondant wrong or what the first time (tasted off in a bad powedered sugar way), but I just skipped making it the second time - they're plenty sweet as it is. I don't remember if he says anything about freezing them, but they seem to reheat pretty well (sans icing)

I'm definitely getting a better feel for how long things take to properly rise in my kitchen, and the importance of letting the dough proof properly before baking. Next up is getting a sourdough starter going!

Only pic I have is of the buns.. color balance not quite correct, they weren't that neon yellow around the edge as in the picture

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

What can I do to keep my challah from splitting apart on top? I feel like it ruins the presentation of the braids, but otherwise I am totally happy with it.

Maybe let it proof a bit longer? I think usually when bread explodes dramatically when you cook it, the problem is that it's underproofed. You could also be shaping it improperly, but since it's braided I doubt it's lacking tension. It just looks a li'l bit saggy, but it's probably the picture since the top appears to be trying to escape.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

Maybe let it proof a bit longer? I think usually when bread explodes dramatically when you cook it, the problem is that it's underproofed. You could also be shaping it improperly, but since it's braided I doubt it's lacking tension. It just looks a li'l bit saggy, but it's probably the picture since the top appears to be trying to escape.

Is that the first rise or the second one after braiding but before it goes in the oven that I need to wait longer? I think it is just the picture, because they do get plenty tall in the oven- I'd just like them to keep going up instead of just bursting forth and out. :)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

After the braid let it rise more.
Described this earlier in the thread but you should be able to gently push in on the loaf and have it not spring back much at all when it's ready to go in the oven.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I lack a dutch oven at the moment, but I do have a nice cast iron skillet and some oven-safe glass bowls that fit well enough in the skillet when turned upside-down. I've taken to heating the skillet in the oven, throwing some parchment paper on it, then the dough, then covering the dough with the glass bowl to make a makeshift dutch oven. I keep it that way for ten minutes, then remove the bowl for the last 15-25 minutes.

This is all done assuming the dutch oven is meant to help keep moisture in for steaming. Is the skillet+glass bowl a good replacement for this? Should I still try to get steam in the oven using water in a pan or something?

I have an electric oven and rent my place so I'd prefer not to risk screwing up the coils by spritzing water into oven for steam, or something similar.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I lack a dutch oven at the moment, but I do have a nice cast iron skillet and some oven-safe glass bowls that fit well enough in the skillet when turned upside-down. I've taken to heating the skillet in the oven, throwing some parchment paper on it, then the dough, then covering the dough with the glass bowl to make a makeshift dutch oven. I keep it that way for ten minutes, then remove the bowl for the last 15-25 minutes.

This is all done assuming the dutch oven is meant to help keep moisture in for steaming. Is the skillet+glass bowl a good replacement for this? Should I still try to get steam in the oven using water in a pan or something?

I have an electric oven and rent my place so I'd prefer not to risk screwing up the coils by spritzing water into oven for steam, or something similar.

I've done similar things with baking pans and steel bowls and they've worked very well to get a beautiful crusty bread.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

After the braid let it rise more.
Described this earlier in the thread but you should be able to gently push in on the loaf and have it not spring back much at all when it's ready to go in the oven.

Thanks for this, my attempt this time went much better I think. The only issue I'm having now is that my strands seem to stick together more and have less definition on the longer proof, though my dough isn't particularly slack. Maybe I could roll each finished rope in a little more flour before I get ready to braid.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009
Try decreasing the hydration a bit. A stiffer dough will give a bit more separation between strands.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've been making the standard loaf described in the OP for a few time now and adding some of my own stuff to it. I tried to make the same thing but with 2/3 all purpose flour and 1/3 Buckwheat flour. The taste is really good but I noticed that the bread has a tendency of raising less. Is that expected?

Should I just let it rise longer or add more water maybe?

I'm also thinking about making my own sour-dough starter thing. Is this a simple thing to do? Can I then simply use sour-dough starter instead of dry yeast in recipe or should I look for specific recipes?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Le0 posted:

I've been making the standard loaf described in the OP for a few time now and adding some of my own stuff to it. I tried to make the same thing but with 2/3 all purpose flour and 1/3 Buckwheat flour. The taste is really good but I noticed that the bread has a tendency of raising less. Is that expected?

Should I just let it rise longer or add more water maybe?

I'm also thinking about making my own sour-dough starter thing. Is this a simple thing to do? Can I then simply use sour-dough starter instead of dry yeast in recipe or should I look for specific recipes?

Buckwheat has no gluten and adding so much to your loaf will significantly diminish it's rise and crumb structure. If you want that flavor I'd suggest no more than 5% buckwheat flour but add toasted buckwheat groats to the loaf instead.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I might have cross contaminated my culture with raw chicken. Am I hosed? Throw out and restart?

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Thumposaurus posted:

This is still baffling me. After my first rise (I usually do a 70% hydration all white-flour loaf) I knock it back, shape it and then immediately do the poke test. Even though it hasn't had a chance to do its second rise the dimple already doesn't spring back.

I thought maybe it needs a little bit of time to get going but nope, over the course of half an hour I keep poking it and it is always in the "ready to bake" or "overproofed" stage.

If I put it in the oven not long after I have shaped it I get a decent oven-spring (not amazing though) and an ok crumb. If I leave it for 30mins - 1hour it not only loses some of its shape, it also doesn't get much oven-spring at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Xarb posted:

This is still baffling me. After my first rise (I usually do a 70% hydration all white-flour loaf) I knock it back, shape it and then immediately do the poke test. Even though it hasn't had a chance to do its second rise the dimple already doesn't spring back.

I thought maybe it needs a little bit of time to get going but nope, over the course of half an hour I keep poking it and it is always in the "ready to bake" or "overproofed" stage.

If I put it in the oven not long after I have shaped it I get a decent oven-spring (not amazing though) and an ok crumb. If I leave it for 30mins - 1hour it not only loses some of its shape, it also doesn't get much oven-spring at all.

What am I doing wrong?

It honestly sounds like you didn't knead it enough. Or if you're doing no knead, it hadn't sat for long enough.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 5, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

NightConqueror posted:

Buckwheat has no gluten and adding so much to your loaf will significantly diminish it's rise and crumb structure. If you want that flavor I'd suggest no more than 5% buckwheat flour but add toasted buckwheat groats to the loaf instead.

Oh thank god for this... I'm a noob at this and was wondering what the gently caress was going on.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can someone link the hydration app?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SlayVus posted:

Can someone link the hydration app?
This one?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm trying to use this app, which is pretty good but I have a question.

I like to make this recipe which was posted in this thread some times ago:

code:
500g flour
1tsp each yeast and salt
1Tbsp each veg oil and sugar/honey 
Approx 320ml water or water and milk
Seeds
So I'm trying to enter this recipe in the app. I added all purpose flour to 100% and water to 64% that is the easy part.
Now how do I easily convert tsp yeast/salt and 1 tbsp veg oil and sugar to %?

EDIT: Does 3g of yeast and 5.5g of salt for 500g of flour seems appropriate? I found some website that says that 1 tsp of yeast equals to 2.83g and 1 tsp of salt equals to 5.69g but I'm not sure this is correct.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 5, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I use this as my converter, since it has lots of ingredients (everything I've thrown at it so far) and lots of measurement units: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cooking-conversions/calc.aspx

That said, I don't know what their sources are, or how accurate it is. It hasn't seemed to mess up my cooking or baking at all.

e: 0.6% yeast and 1.1% salt sound about right. The yeast may be a little low.

If you use milk, I suggest one of the following: either reconstitute dried milk (or more likely, add milk powder in with flour and add the right amount of extra water) or use milk that has been scalded then cooled to room temperature. Otherwise, the structure of your bread will be compromised.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 5, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Thank you for that site, will be useful.

Is there anyway to share recipes in Panadero? Would be awesome.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Xarb posted:

What am I doing wrong?

When you're shaping the final loaf, are you making sure to get adequate surface tension (it should seem taut). Also, when you say "knock it back", you're not completely de-gassing the dough, right?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

dedian posted:

When you're shaping the final loaf, are you making sure to get adequate surface tension (it should seem taut). Also, when you say "knock it back", you're not completely de-gassing the dough, right?

How do you achieve surface tension? Also I never know how much is too much knock back. Do you like only fold it once or two times or more?

Also a stupid question that is bothering me. How the hell does they make gluten free bread rise ???

Le0 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 5, 2014

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Le0 posted:

How do you achieve surface tension? Also I never know how much is too much knock back. Do you like only fold it once or two times or more?

Also a stupid question that is bothering me. How the hell does they make gluten free bread rise ???

Pinch the bottom of the dough into a rough ball and cup your hands around the bottom of it against the counter.
Roll it around in a circle you should feel the top of the dough ball tightening up as you do it. It's hard to explain in words. Once the ball is formed and tight then you can shape it into whatever shape you wish.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Le0 posted:

King Arthur Flour has a series of videos on YouTube about making bread. This one demonstrates a good way to preshape your loaves to get the surface you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6pbWYbqPE

Gluten free bread can be leavened with yeast. Though I've never seen a bulk fermentation on gluten fee bread, only a final proofing.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

dedian posted:

Yes I think my shaping is ok, basically I scrap it out of the bowl and will either do an envelope fold a few times or kind of get it into a ball shape similar to how Thumposaurus mentions above. Could I be over-shaping it and cause it to lose too much gas?

Rurutia posted:

It honestly sounds like you didn't knead it enough. Or if you're doing no knead, it hadn't sat for long enough.
You could be on to something here. My go-to loaf these days uses the "French-Slap" method for kneading and I have to admit my dough doesn't get quite as smooth as Richard Bertinet's does in his video. I'll try kneading more tonight and see how I go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I might have cross contaminated my culture with raw chicken. Am I hosed? Throw out and restart?

Yes, Jesus. It's gonna cost you a couple cups of flour and a few days. Raw chicken is home to some nasty poo poo. This shouldn't even be a question.

Why was there raw chicken near your culture anyway?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

WhoIsYou posted:

King Arthur Flour has a series of videos on YouTube about making bread. This one demonstrates a good way to preshape your loaves to get the surface you want. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6pbWYbqPE

Gluten free bread can be leavened with yeast. Though I've never seen a bulk fermentation on gluten fee bread, only a final proofing.

Thanks for the vid.
Do you have any other interesting youtube channels? I could watch dough being worked all day, this poo poo is mesmerizing :allears: And I'd like to learn stuff as well.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 6, 2014

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I have a hard time getting a crunchy crust on my breads. I have a smallish electric oven that loses heat really fast. I've tried pouring some water into a hot pan, spraying the walls of my oven and misting the bread itself in different combinations but it doesn't really help, especially not with all the opening and closing of the oven door.

My friends across the hall have a big old 70s hellbeast of a gas oven that is permanently set to "fiery pits". It's perfect for puffing up pita bread (as long as I watch it like a hawk) but I'm not sure how it would handle a loaf. Should I maybe try starting the bread in the hellbeast to get a nice oven spring/crust and then finish in my own oven to avoid burning it? Am I totally thinking about this the wrong way?

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

PiratePing posted:

I have a hard time getting a crunchy crust on my breads. I have a smallish electric oven that loses heat really fast. I've tried pouring some water into a hot pan, spraying the walls of my oven and misting the bread itself in different combinations but it doesn't really help, especially not with all the opening and closing of the oven door.

My friends across the hall have a big old 70s hellbeast of a gas oven that is permanently set to "fiery pits". It's perfect for puffing up pita bread (as long as I watch it like a hawk) but I'm not sure how it would handle a loaf. Should I maybe try starting the bread in the hellbeast to get a nice oven spring/crust and then finish in my own oven to avoid burning it? Am I totally thinking about this the wrong way?

Have you tried baking your bread in a container inside of the oven? The no-kneads get their hard crust from that, right? I bake mine in a Lagostina cast iron and it comes out crunchy and perfect. If you do that then you shouldn't have to open and close your oven door for spraying and all that jazz.