Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like this will be Hitman Absolution all over again. People may actually enjoy it, despite how not pure Thief it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No, its not. Absolution, despite its flaws, was still a functional game and had actual stealth mechanics. Everything I've seen of new Thief is that its being barely held together by scotch tape and string and the AI is barely existent.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
So which one of you goons is going to do a lets play for this thing?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Destructoid has their review up too, if anyone cares.

The verdict: Completely bland and forgettable. Not terrible but it certainly won't set your pants on fire. Clearly deserving of a completely middling score of... 7.5.:geno:

Good to see that game reviews use the same grading scale as a school, where everything below an 80% means you probably need constant supervision to keep yourself from eating paste.

Slate Action posted:

Yeah, watching TB's review the gameplay seems kind of...good? He did mention that some of the levels seem small and linear.

More than some, it seems. :(

Destructoid posted:

A great deal of stages involve a standard "get here" goal at the end of a maze, leaving you to stumble across tiny corridors from one challenge room to the next. While a few stages are open-ended in the sense that you can devise your own way to get from point A to B, a lot of them only have one solution -- and the only brainstorming you'll have to do is how to get past (or take out) the guards. It's disappointing, because the original Thief series had stages that felt like giant sandboxes, really putting you in control of your own destiny.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 24, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Demiurge4 posted:

He's had a lot of copyright poo poo with his videos getting taken down because they were negative of the games he reviewed. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt but the cynic in me wants to say he's wary of having it happen again and this time from a big publisher.

Is there ever going to be a positive review that someone won't say it's a shill or conspiracy? Like, is this thread gonna get to some kinda hilarious place where most sites give it a score of 'eh it's ok' and that means they're all a bunch of filthy filthy shills who can't see the truth that it's the worst game ever?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there ever going to be a positive review that someone won't say it's a shill or conspiracy? Like, is this thread gonna get to some kinda hilarious place where most sites give it a score of 'eh it's ok' and that means they're all a bunch of filthy filthy shills who can't see the truth that it's the worst game ever?

Welcome to game reviewing, where the entire system is hosed because people have different opinions and standards than I do.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Total Biscuit usually has a good deal of charisma working when he plays a game or shoutcasts. He was a pretty lovely shoutcaster for Starcraft 2 cause he rarely if ever would say anything relevant to the game. But drat was he fun to listen to regardless.

Conduct an experiment: Rewatch him play without the audio and see if it still comes off as fun.

Moment made all the funnier since it came not too long after a five minute raving of the game doing a good job discouraging combat.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am hoping that the best thing which comes out of all these relatively negative reviews, is the acceptance that you can in fact accurately pinpoint a games flaws without actually playing it.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-thief/

quote:

On the one hand, I want to applaud Square Enix for having such enormous balls. It’s rare in this day and age that we see a heavily anticipated, aggressively advertised triple-A game shoved out the door in such a sorry state. There’s a spectacle in a failure of this scope, something to be admired in being unashamed to do something so wildly different—even when different means bad.

Rime fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 24, 2014

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

When does the steam preload unlock? Tonight/tomorrow morning?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Watchin the TB review, he seems to have none of the complaints of the other reviews. Then again he kinda sucks at the game. But then again I didn't hate Hitman Absolution so. I dunno. I think I might actually like it? Whats happening

It's almost as if it looks like a decent if flawed game that doesn't do anything catastrophically wrong, but doesn't live up to the high standards of an established franchise.

The reviews seem to be averaging out as roughly 'Meh, it's okay, but you could do better', which is what I was expecting. The conspiracy theories and accusations that anyone not frothing with rage over the game must be paid off or otherwise pressured into giving it a good review are just ridiculous.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dominic White posted:

It's almost as if it looks like a decent if flawed game that doesn't do anything catastrophically wrong, but doesn't live up to the high standards of an established franchise.

The reviews seem to be averaging out as roughly 'Meh, it's okay, but you could do better', which is what I was expecting. The conspiracy theories and accusations that anyone not frothing with rage over the game must be paid off or otherwise pressured into giving it a good review are just ridiculous.

I would agree on both points.

I expect that (as many have said) if this game was called Shadow-walker or some other non-Thief related name it would be getting savaged far less, but then conversely it wouldn't be getting the free press about being part of a venerable franchise; though that part may be backfiring.

It would be amazing if another studio made a thief game using Stephan Russell as the voice talent of the (intentionally) nameless protagonist and just gave it a title like Master Thief. Sort of like the War for the Overworld vs. Dungeon Keeper thing.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
People judge games based on the body of games they know and will wish to either play games that give them a new experience and/or are of a significantly higher quality than the average they are aware of. (There is such a large amount of media that bothing with average products is a waste of time.)

This Thief is to someone who knows few stealth games something that brings something new AND slightly above the average (at least visually), so they can gain enjoyment from it.

At the same time it is to people who know a lot of stealth game nothing new whatsoever and decidedly below par, thus worth no time whatsoever.

Everything is relative. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yes, this is what always happens. It will be a 'meh' critical reception because games reviewers are mostly mid-20s white guys who were ~8 years old when the original game came out and have no critical thinking or appraisal skills, so slap a 'safe' 75/100 on it and move on. And this thread will have the usual apologists in it, it always happens, even for fuckin' turds like Duke Nukem Forever. So the overall thread temperature will seem rather lukewarm with a couple of invested hotheads who absolutely hate the game in it (and the tepid apologists will use said hotheads as punching bags to show how irrational fans of the previous game are). This is what always happens, there's always a huge counter-backlash to the backlash around release day. It's like clockwork.

But eventually reality asserts itself. You'll start to see people you never saw in this thread in other threads saying "oh yeah, that Thief game was poo poo" and no matter what mid-70s score Metacritic eventually plops on, people are going to dislike this game because it's a stupid bag of corridor levels with dumb guards and frequent terrible cutscenes. That's really all there is to it. If you've watched a stream, you know this is a bad game. If you've put your head in the sand, ignored the opportunity to see raw gameplay in action, and relied on ~*games journalism*~ to keep your dumb narrative of "Thief is going to be an ok game, I just know it" then have fun with that, I guess.

The satisfaction of knowing that everyone thinks this game is garbage will happen in about a year, set your calendars and come back in here and at that point I'll have bought this POS for 5 bucks and we can all deconstruct it in detail.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mithaldu posted:

People judge games based on the body of games they know and will wish to either play games that give them a new experience and/or are of a significantly higher quality than the average they are aware of. (There is such a large amount of media that bothing with average products is a waste of time.)

This Thief is to someone who knows few stealth games something that brings something new AND slightly above the average (at least visually), so they can gain enjoyment from it.

At the same time it is to people who know a lot of stealth game nothing new whatsoever and decidedly below par, thus worth no time whatsoever.

The biggest advantage I can see to this is hopefully this will bring in more people to the series, maybe get them looking into the older games, and hopefully now that development hell is over the sequel can improve on the baseline of 'eh it's ok I guess'.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Indolent Bastard posted:

So which one of you goons is going to do a lets play for this thing?

Keep an eye on the bad games thread in a couple months.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mithaldu posted:

Nah not everything is relative, and it's just a poo poo game.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, this is what always happens. It will be a 'meh' critical reception because games reviewers are mostly mid-20s white guys who were ~8 years old when the original game came out and have no critical thinking or appraisal skills, so slap a 'safe' 75/100 on it and move on. And this thread will have the usual apologists in it, it always happens, even for fuckin' turds like Duke Nukem Forever. So the overall thread temperature will seem rather lukewarm with a couple of invested hotheads who absolutely hate the game in it (and the tepid apologists will use said hotheads as punching bags to show how irrational fans of the previous game are). This is what always happens, there's always a huge counter-backlash to the backlash around release day. It's like clockwork.

But eventually reality asserts itself. You'll start to see people you never saw in this thread in other threads saying "oh yeah, that Thief game was poo poo" and no matter what mid-70s score Metacritic eventually plops on, people are going to dislike this game because it's a stupid bag of corridor levels with dumb guards and frequent terrible cutscenes. That's really all there is to it. If you've watched a stream, you know this is a bad game. If you've put your head in the sand, ignored the opportunity to see raw gameplay in action, and relied on ~*games journalism*~ to keep your dumb narrative of "Thief is going to be an ok game, I just know it" then have fun with that, I guess.

The satisfaction of knowing that everyone thinks this game is garbage will happen in about a year, set your calendars and come back in here and at that point I'll have bought this POS for 5 bucks and we can all deconstruct it in detail.

Good to know that you will be on the right side of history with this one, Megaman's Jockstrap

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think it's a very healthy thing to have your identity wrapped up so tightly in not liking a video game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toplowtech posted:

DE: HR wasn't an attempt at a pure stealth game and the stealth mechanisms in there weren't that fantastically complex or incredibly satisfying either. Then with Thief they went into the weird reboot but not remake but still sequel because amnesia territory when an actual straight sequel with Garret's apprentice could have nearly justified forays into Dishonored level of violence/non-stealth. But i guess they couldn't have a female lead in a video-game.

Also it's hardly surprising that their Thief is meh, no matter what changes they made, when it spent the last 4-5 years in development hell, really.

I think the point was they got the gameplay spot on in deus ex hr but it doesn't seem to be the case in Thi4f

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Has anyone seen the ars technica review yet? They unapologetically hated Thi4f

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/review-thief-reboot-should-have-stayed-hidden/

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The biggest advantage I can see to this is hopefully this will bring in more people to the series, maybe get them looking into the older games, and hopefully now that development hell is over the sequel can improve on the baseline of 'eh it's ok I guess'.

I imagine there's a good chance lovely reviews means lovely sales, which means the franchise will be buried for another decade+ if not for good.

Which, in my book, is better then seeing one of my favorite old franchises become shallow, linear, corridor bullshit. :colbert:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think it's a very healthy thing to have your identity wrapped up so tightly in not liking a video game.

He who fights with care posters might take care lest he thereby becomes a care poster.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Literally no one will care about this game in a year.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I can't imagine there will be many people buying it sight unseen, so lovely sales seem like a given. The Thief name garners some fierce devotion amongst PC gamers from the late nineties - it's anecdotal, but I've only ever heard one other person in real life talk about the Thief games ever, and he just happens to be the same kind of supernerd as me. The only thing I see that this game has going for it is that it is coming out in a pretty heavy dearth of AAA console games, right before the floodgates open in March.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It'll probably get a boost from being an actual new game on the next-gen systems, which have no games, but it most definitely won't make a profit considering it was under development for 4+ years.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
It seems like a lot of the really bad stuff is tucked away in the second half of the game and some of the critics, (TB for sure) just haven't seen it.

I don't know why some people think we're happy about. I love Thief and I'd loved to have had a decent modern version, hell, we all love games here - it's not like we're just sitting around baying for blood.

A game where you can be seen by guards, and have them forget about you just by running to the end of their tiny street area, or worse, jumping off a two foot ledge right next to them and waiting for 30 seconds is not a good stealth game by ANY measure.

You can even see it in the TB vid. 'The guards are surprisingly capable
...' as he opens and closes a door right in front of a guard and then the same dude opens the door right behind him and doesn't see him a metre away.

There's a scene towards the end where Garret is fleeing through burning buildings which really highlights just how hosed the sound engine is. I checked 2 different videos to see if it wasn't just the streamer messing with the volume but there don't seem to be any sound effects for the fire at all. You run through the level with the occasional scripted crash and an incredibly loud soundtrack which seems to have been boosted to hide the missing elements.

The ambient sounds clip in and out, background npcs spout insane ambient dialogue right on top of the in-engine cut scene dialogue; at one point a dog effect looped over and over after the level had finished and the score was coming up. The whole thing is hilariously shoddy.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 24, 2014

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Shibawanko posted:

Nah not everything is relative, and it's just a poo poo game.

Hey i hate the game as much as most people here and objectively it's a shitpile that should never have been. However that does not preclude people from having the subjective opinion that they had fun with it and i simply laid out a possible explanation for why they might do so without being shills. Especially with TB i can absolutely see him liking it, since his deal with games isn't exactly knowing much about or being good at them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

Literally no one will care about this game in a year.

Yeah, it just seems like an inoffensive filler piece in the current AAA lineup. It'll come, some people will enjoy it, some won't, it'll fade from memory and people will go back to waiting for a Dishonored sequel.

If you're treating this poo poo like some kind of holy crusade, then you're barking up the wrong tree. Also, slightly unhinged.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Dominic White posted:

This game is so bad, even the reviews aren't entertaining.

"Yawn. When's lunch. 7/10" -Literally every review except, like, 2 I guess.

This game isn't 'flawed'. It's catastrophically bad. Just economically speaking, I'm sure it cost a pretty penny and landed flat on its face. It was basically Bioshock Infinite for development time, will sell nowhere near as good, and look at what happened to Irrational. It could very well bury the Thief franchise forever just like DmC is trying to do. It doesn't get much worse than 'ending a franchise' bad.

Here's to Dishonored 2: Adventures in Pandyssia.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

User0015 posted:

This game is so bad, even the reviews aren't entertaining.

"Yawn. When's lunch. 7/10" -Literally every review except, like, 2 I guess.

This game isn't 'flawed'. It's catastrophically bad. Just economically speaking, I'm sure it cost a pretty penny and landed flat on its face. It was basically Bioshock Infinite for development time, will sell nowhere near as good, and look at what happened to Irrational. It could very well bury the Thief franchise forever just like DmC is trying to do. It doesn't get much worse than 'ending a franchise' bad.

Here's to Dishonored 2: Adventures in Pandyssia.

People here really want to get their hate on. Catastrophically bad would mean it won't start, or horrifically mangles your system in some way. It just seems like anywhere from an average to bad game. If a game is 'catastrophically bad' the reviews aren't what you are claiming, they are hilarious.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Seems like it'd be worth a buy at 10 bux on steam though. Not like I pay more than that for any any game these days anyway

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do sincerely hope that Human Revolution 2: Augmented Boogaloo is still made by the good half of Eidos Montreal. It would be a shame if this troubled game sinks the studio like Bioschlock: Ultimate sank (or is it sunk?) Irrational. As for Thief it's probably dead for another decade. Classic Garrett must be shaking his polygonal head right now.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Fintilgin posted:

I imagine there's a good chance lovely reviews means lovely sales, which means the franchise will be buried for another decade+ if not for good.

Which, in my book, is better then seeing one of my favorite old franchises become shallow, linear, corridor bullshit. :colbert:

Do not forget inoffensive, boring, and tedious.
I would add "painfully bad writing," but the poor dialog was readily apparent.

And I'm sad to say, Thief is on the way.
Won't be back for many a day.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Robot_Rumpus posted:

People here really want to get their hate on. Catastrophically bad would mean it won't start, or horrifically mangles your system in some way. It just seems like anywhere from an average to bad game. If a game is 'catastrophically bad' the reviews aren't what you are claiming, they are hilarious.

But just bad isn't good enough. The game was teased back in 2008 and had an expansion of Eidos Montreal's team to make it, and then had to compensate for the loss of several senior developers like the lead level designer and audio director, and a switch to next-gen systems. The game is probably a repeat of Bioshock Infinite's disastrous development cycle, just without the public exposure of Ken Levine's prima donna status.

There was a pretty big stink about Tomb Raider not being financially successful until very recently, so watch out for Eidos to be on the chopping block in the next few months.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thief 4 is the worst kind of bad. The really boring kind.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

MrBims posted:

But just bad isn't good enough. The game was teased back in 2008 and had an expansion of Eidos Montreal's team to make it, and then had to compensate for the loss of several senior developers like the lead level designer and audio director, and a switch to next-gen systems. The game is probably a repeat of Bioshock Infinite's disastrous development cycle, just without the public exposure of Ken Levine's prima donna status.

There was a pretty big stink about Tomb Raider not being financially successful until very recently, so watch out for Eidos to be on the chopping block in the next few months.

It seems like you are offering excuses as to why it actually isn't as bad as it could be. The game isn't catastrophically bad. It runs and you can play it from start to end. You may or may not like the experience (probably won't enjoy it much) but it won't set your system on fire, or refuse to actually load. The fact that most people say 'eh, not so good' is probably reflective of the quality of the final product.

That one review was particularly harsh but it was such a poorly written review that I wonder if they just wanted the page hits.

To clarify, in my mind ACM was worse but it also was not catastrophically bad.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is the attitude which results in 6 being equal to a 2 in the review industry. The world would be a better place if we called a spade a spade instead of mincing words.

Elizabeth Cluppins
May 12, 2009
SneakyBastards put out their opinion on the game.

SneakyBastards posted:

Thief is a disaster the likes of which we could not fathom. There is no easy way to say it; we just did not think the game would be this bad. So we must ask: how did this happen?

They didn't seem to like it all that much.:v:

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Rime posted:

This is the attitude which results in 6 being equal to a 2 in the review industry. The world would be a better place if we called a spade a spade instead of mincing words.

Why do you care about the numerical score? I don't think anyone is mincing words, just read the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hurf durf I want my games to be laborious trial and error affairs with punishing AI instead of this handholding consolized crap.

Either one is terrible.

• Locked thread