Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, but midseason they should have known that it was not going to happen, and find a way to get the powers to a more managable level.

Peter unable to mimic when not near the person he's mimicking.

Well, that was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Didn't the eventually make it "One power at a time"? That made sense.

And as bad as Sylar's flip flopping was at least it would give us some cool scenes when he he'd inevitably go evil again and do some massacring. Mohinder's flip flopping was the worst and never made any sense with the plot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Once again I'm kinda baffled anyone watched that show long enough to explain in detail how bad it got.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Opopanax posted:

That's all well and good until that one power can be control over space and time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Yeah but then I think he used that to take Sylar's power which let him do whatever he wanted again.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lurdiak posted:

Once again I'm kinda baffled anyone watched that show long enough to explain in detail how bad it got.

Trainwreck analogy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Probably the same reason people watched 10 seasons of Smallville.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Probably the same reason people watched 10 seasons of Smallville.

People watched it for the moments that they would mention the Superman mythos or bring in a DC character. Heroes did not have any of those things. That is right Heroes is shitter than Smallville.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

A forum I used to post on had a thread devoted to people watching it just to poo poo on it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Trainwreck analogy.

Also explains why I tuned in every week for Under the Dome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I saw all of Smallville and Heroes. I barely remember anything about Heroes. Perhaps for the best. I started thinking about it again and things are flooding back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I saw all of Smallville and Heroes. I barely remember anything about Heroes. Perhaps for the best. I started thinking about it again and things are flooding back.

Do you remember West?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you remember West?

Nnnnngh. He was friends with Claire? Is that the same kid that could fly? Played by the kid who played John Connor on the Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I watched it right through to the end because I had some kind of stockholm syndrome and kept expecting it to get better, and didn't want to have to catch up when it did.

And I'll watch this new one, too :negative:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Nnnnngh. He was friends with Claire? Is that the same kid that could fly? Played by the kid who played John Connor on the Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Her flying boyfriend in season 2. You are mixing two characters up. One was not that bad and the kid who left the show for SCC. The other was loving West and one of the worst parts of season 2.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He pushed her off a cliff so he could subsequently catch her to show her she could trust him. She found this romantic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Her flying boyfriend in season 2. You are mixing two characters up. One was not that bad and the kid who left the show for SCC. The other was loving West and one of the worst parts of season 2.

I still maintain that the worst part of season 2 was the South American siblings. That whole subplot was a huge waste of time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I still maintain that the worst part of season 2 was the South American siblings. That whole subplot was a huge waste of time.

The chick with the bleeding eyes that was never mentioned again after season 2? Season 2 still had the glorious moment where Peter left his irish girlfriend in the plague hellhole and never went back. So who knows what happened to her since ??

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Strangely enough turning Elixir into two characters just makes two terrible characters instead of one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

Maaaaayaaaaaaa!
Aaaaalllleeeejaaaaaannndrooo!

I thought they wasted a lot of potential with Micah's cousin (whatever her name was). Yeah a lot of it was :rolleyes: but I thought her power was cool and not too powerful, and they could have done something better than what they did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Maaaaayaaaaaaa!
Aaaaalllleeeejaaaaaannndrooo!

I thought they wasted a lot of potential with Micah's cousin (whatever her name was). Yeah a lot of it was :rolleyes: but I thought her power was cool and not too powerful, and they could have done something better than what they did.

Better than watching WWE and doing awful wrestling moves?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Thomas Dekker's role in the show is only hilarious for the fact that despite it being obvious that the character was gay from the get go he gave out when they were going to reveal it in a later episode and they had to change the character to straight.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bobkatt013 posted:

Better than watching WWE and doing awful wrestling moves?

Well I thought the taskmaster style mimicking was cool. :colbert:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Waterhaul posted:

Thomas Dekker's role in the show is only hilarious for the fact that despite it being obvious that the character was gay from the get go he gave out when they were going to reveal it in a later episode and they had to change the character to straight.

IIRC, he had a quasi-coming out scene that actually did air on the show, where he talked about being "different" or something without using the words. NBC at the time was running text recaps of every episode on their website, and the description of the scene originally read something like "Zack tells Claire that he's gay."

Dekker's people made them change the text to something else. To this day, I think his defense is that he thought the character was intended to be straight and played him that way, and didn't want to "change" the character's sexuality midway through the run. Yeah.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

IIRC, he had a quasi-coming out scene that actually did air on the show, where he talked about being "different" or something without using the words. NBC at the time was running text recaps of every episode on their website, and the description of the scene originally read something like "Zack tells Claire that he's gay."

Dekker's people made them change the text to something else. To this day, I think his defense is that he thought the character was intended to be straight and played him that way, and didn't want to "change" the character's sexuality midway through the run. Yeah.

I thought it was some bullshit that his manager told him playing a gay character would ruin his chances for future roles?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was some bullshit that his manager told him playing a gay character would ruin his chances for future roles?

It's a he-said, she-said thing. Bryan Fuller said back in 2007 that it was always the plan for Zach to be gay, and that Dekker's management backed out over fears that playing a gay teen would kill his shot at the Sarah Connor Chronicles pilot. Dekker still claims that the character was originally written as straight and that he only refused to play gay because it wasn't set up in earlier episodes.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endless Mike posted:

A forum I used to post on had a thread devoted to people watching it just to poo poo on it.

And that forum... was TVIV.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

People watched it for the moments that they would mention the Superman mythos or bring in a DC character. Heroes did not have any of those things. That is right Heroes is shitter than Smallville.

Heroes after Season 1 is shittier than Smallville.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Heroes after Season 1 is shittier than Smallville.

Woah, lets not say things we can't take back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dexo posted:

The last couple of Smallville when it became JLA was not that bad. It had some lovely episodes, but it was watchable. That is more then could be said of Heroes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dexo posted:

Smallville has Kristin Kreuk and Tom Welling. Heroes Season 1 only has Milo Ventimiglia he is that bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Smallville has Kristin Kreuk and Tom Welling. Heroes Season 1 only has Milo Ventimiglia.

Yes but John Glover and Michael Rosenbaum were always watchable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The chick with the bleeding eyes that was never mentioned again after season 2? Season 2 still had the glorious moment where Peter left his irish girlfriend in the plague hellhole and never went back. So who knows what happened to her since ??

I'm pretty sure Sylar ended up killing the eye bleeding girl. The Irish girlfriend left in the hell future was really weird because of how unnecessary the whole thing was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

And that forum... was TVIV.

I don't think I've ever even opened TVIV intentionally.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this? posted:

The Irish girlfriend left in the hell future was really weird because of how unnecessary the whole thing was.

A lot of season 2 got hosed up by the writers strike. It got cut short and a lot of stuff that was set up didn't get followed through on

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

^^^ Couldn't they have picked up the pieces later?

The old Heroes threads probably wouldn't survive today. Smallville I don't know. I can only base this on how much a few people whine very loudly about other people criticizing Agents of SHIELD in its thread. It's kind of a bummer.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Heroes season 2 wasted Kristin Bell. Not sure how much more you can indict a show than that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Heroes season 2 wasted Kristin Bell. Not sure how much more you can indict a show than that.

I forgot she was on the show dammit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I remember correctly Kring took a lot of the blame for screwing up S2, then started to fix things when the writers strike went into effect. Then I guess they wanted to start fresh with S3 (which still wound up being mostly garbage). S4 was ok, mainly due to Robert Knepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bryan Fuller gave an interview where he reveals where exactly they were headed in season 3 before he came back and it was fairly dire. Like the whole thing with John Glover as Sylar's dad was supposed to be the big bad of the back half of the season.