Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

User0015 posted:

It's catastrophically bad. Just economically speaking, I'm sure it cost a pretty penny and landed flat on its face. It was basically Bioshock Infinite for development time, will sell nowhere near as good, and look at what happened to Irrational. It could very well bury the Thief franchise forever just like DmC is trying to do. It doesn't get much worse than 'ending a franchise' bad.

I think this is really important to note even if you like how the game looks. This game was in development for a very long time and probably cost alot of money to make. Unless it sells fantastically (it probably won't, especially when opinions about it are so divided and the game just hasn't generated any excitement at all)it is very likely this is the last we see of the Thief franchise for a very long time.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Robot_Rumpus posted:

People here really want to get their hate on. Catastrophically bad would mean it won't start, or horrifically mangles your system in some way.

That's literally not true. Myth's uninstaller mangled your startup files and made your OS an unbootable pile of bytes and it was still one of the greatest games ever made.

Andrast posted:

Thief 4 is the worst kind of bad. The really boring kind.

It's so bad, it doesn't even garner amazing reviews. SneakyBastards not-withstanding, though I've never heard of them until now. That's the kind of review I like. :allears:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Well, despite my much ballyhoo'd anger and hatred towards the game, I had some sort of mental breakdown this morning and, using the 25% off GMG coupon, ended up preordering this pile of poo poo. I'll be curious to see who ends up on the right side of history here: the "meh, it's nothing great" or the "it's an enormous pile of dogshit" crowd. As a poster said a little ways back, sometimes things are reviewed with 6s and 7s and then, months later, everyone agrees that it was actually horrible. Then again, Thief 3 was much hated at the time and now, as many other have pointed out, we look back and say "yeah, it was pretty decent".

That being said, I'm worried about the experience solely based upon how much I loving loathe the "Garrett holds his hands right in front of his face at all times like some sort of touchy retard" look the game has going.

Oh god why did I buy this

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Pathos posted:

Well, despite my much ballyhoo'd anger and hatred towards the game, I had some sort of mental breakdown this morning and, using the 25% off GMG coupon, ended up preordering this pile of poo poo. I'll be curious to see who ends up on the right side of history here: the "meh, it's nothing great" or the "it's an enormous pile of dogshit" crowd. As a poster said a little ways back, sometimes things are reviewed with 6s and 7s and then, months later, everyone agrees that it was actually horrible. Then again, Thief 3 was much hated at the time and now, as many other have pointed out, we look back and say "yeah, it was pretty decent".

That being said, I'm worried about the experience solely based upon how much I loving loathe the "Garrett holds his hands right in front of his face at all times like some sort of touchy retard" look the game has going.

We will honour your sacrifice.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

User0015 posted:

This game isn't 'flawed'. It's catastrophically bad. Just economically speaking, I'm sure it cost a pretty penny and landed flat on its face. It was basically Bioshock Infinite for development time, will sell nowhere near as good, and look at what happened to Irrational. It could very well bury the Thief franchise forever just like DmC is trying to do. It doesn't get much worse than 'ending a franchise' bad.

Good thing they got some small expensive foundry to make a replica of the in game bow out of aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WyqH6yYzJY

Money well spent!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You'll literally be able to get this for 50% or less in a month or two on steam, how dumb do you have to be to preorder it TODAY?

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

User0015 posted:

That's literally not true. Myth's uninstaller mangled your startup files and made your OS an unbootable pile of bytes and it was still one of the greatest games ever made.

It obviously wasn't upon release.

Either way, I don't think my statement reads that way (or at least was not intended to be read that way). For something to be catastrophically bad it would have to do something along those lines, not that something that does those things would have to be classified as catastrophically bad.

quote:

Good thing they got some small expensive foundry to make a replica of the in game bow out of aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WyqH6yYzJY

Money well spent!

You see lots of stupid promo videos that cost any amount of money for all kinds of games.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

You'll literally be able to get this for 50% or less in a month or two on steam, how dumb do you have to be to preorder it TODAY?

Instant gratification/entitlement/lack of responsibility

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Why do you care about the numerical score? I don't think anyone is mincing words, just read the reviews.

Because someone, somewhere, didn't read the review and is going "Huh, 6/10 that doesn't sound bad, may as well pick it up since there's no PS4 games." This is why review score creep is bad.

You know that 6/10 means 2/10, I know that, Joe Consumer probably doesn't and he just got hosed out of $50. :colbert:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Rudager posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WyqH6yYzJY

Money well spent!

I support this because they're always going to have this expensive reminder of their failure hanging around the office.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Rime posted:

Because someone, somewhere, didn't read the review and is going "Huh, 6/10 that doesn't sound bad, may as well pick it up since there's no PS4 games." This is why review score creep is bad.

You know that 6/10 means 2/10, I know that, Joe Consumer probably doesn't and he just got hosed out of $50. :colbert:

I don't think its fair to call a mediocre game a scam

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Despite how disappointing this game is going to be, they had a decent display of not-Garret's clothes and bow at PAX a few years ago.

GOTY - 10/10

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Pathos posted:

I expect a full review from you after playing it through 100%.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

User0015 posted:

I expect a full review from you after playing it through 100%.

I fully intend to beat this game within a week so that I can have a clear palate for the sheer gloriousness that is the South Park game. So, yeah, I'll do my best to write up why I make terrible videogame decisions in this thread. Look forward to it!

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I don't think its fair to call a mediocre game a scam

When there are tons of embargos making sure as few people as possible know your game is mediocre shite, it can be called a scam without issue. Considering their last game they happily let people play a several hour long demo, it's pretty obvious they know this game sucks rear end and are hoping for the standard gamer retardation in order to get a bunch of early sales.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Rudager posted:

Money well spent!

At least it has some level of material worth.

Now someone needs to sneak into their offices and steal it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Errant Signal has a retrospective on the original (only?) Thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIhEtXPGzgs

Pretty good, but he complains about Thieves Den being filler but it was actually added in Thief Gold as... filler.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 24, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Reading PC Gamer's review, I really don't get how it got a 79/100. They complain about lots of bugs and slowdown, how the narrative is a mess, how there are a bunch of wild swings in quality, how you need to bump up the difficulty and turn on almost the optional difficulty features for it to be a challenge, and then... C+/B-, good job Eidos! Like, even ignoring what I've seen of footage of the game, that score makes no sense next to the review accompanying it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everyone who gave it a nonzero score is a shill. Nothing is sacred, not even videogames

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
It's not a joke when it is said that every big review site grades on a 7-10 scale.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Harry Joe posted:

When there are tons of embargos making sure as few people as possible know your game is mediocre shite, it can be called a scam without issue. Considering their last game they happily let people play a several hour long demo, it's pretty obvious they know this game sucks rear end and are hoping for the standard gamer retardation in order to get a bunch of early sales.

What AAA game doesn't have an embargo these days? Most do, those that don't are the rareties these days.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I personally like the RPS review which basically amounts to "This is a bland game with bad, gimmicky mechanics, quite a lot of bugs, and a garbage story. It's really good though."

Ummmm.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

dishwasherlove posted:

Errant Signal has a retrospective on the original (only?) Thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIhEtXPGzgs

Pretty good, but he complains about Thieves Den being filler but it was actually added in Thief Gold as... filler.

Feck the Thieves Guild. That level just went on and on, and I wasted 15 minutes before I realised you could cut down banners with the sword you never use.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

jBrereton posted:

I personally like the RPS review which basically amounts to "This is a bland game with bad, gimmicky mechanics, quite a lot of bugs, and a garbage story. It's really good though."

Ummmm.

To be fair, his review is more "the game has problems, but drat I had fun playing it anyway".

If that is accurate, then I'll be fairly happy with it. I don't have any silly notions that the first three games were masterpeices, but I enjoyed them. This doesn't have to be exactly like them for me to enjoy it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I mean I get that the 7-10 scale is pretty much a thing, but you'd think they'd at least pretend to justify giving it the same score they gave, using some recent examples, Dust and Arkham City, and only 1 point lower than Metal Gear Rising.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Funso Banjo posted:

What AAA game doesn't have an embargo these days? Most do, those that don't are the rareties these days.

The vast majority of the really good ones don't have one because the devs know that seeing gameplay will only want to make others play it more. The reason more and more embargos happen is because more and more mediocre pieces of poo poo keep getting released as so called AAA games and the devs know the only way to make a lot of money on poo poo is to rely on sketchy marketing and the fact that gamers are among the dumbest types of consumers in the world.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

Thief 4 is the worst kind of bad. The really boring kind.

This is the saddest part. I was hoping for either a complete disaster or a good game but of course it falls somewhere in between and lands on not overly offensive and instantly forgettable.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ITT: People argue that it's totally not a problem for game review write-ups to not be reflected in the numerical score they give a game, which is intended to be based off their written points.

Also, anybody remember "Dark"? This game would be a complete flop without the Thief name, which is why people are saying it's not a good game. A mediocre game is not a good game, it is a mediocre game. A mediocre game with a budget and hype like Thief 4 is generally what people call "a failure", since I am pretty sure they were not spending all that money in the hopes of making a game that people wouldn't care about.
Unless despite like 90% of reviewers hating it, and the negative buzz that's been circling it lately it still manages to be a huge selling game that brings in profit. Then it would be a successfully mediocre game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest even if it were a poo poo Thief game I'd still have played it if they kept any semblance of the mythology from previous games. The City, Hammerites and Pagans were just so interesting that I was willing to take a lovely game to see more of that.

Looks like it doesn't even have that. And it's not the kind of game where you could play drunk with a bunch of friends and mock how poo poo it is either.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Here you go, a guard conversation about cock rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1KnQrKnOs

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mr. Fortitude posted:

To be honest even if it were a poo poo Thief game I'd still have played it if they kept any semblance of the mythology from previous games. The City, Hammerites and Pagans were just so interesting that I was willing to take a lovely game to see more of that.

Looks like it doesn't even have that. And it's not the kind of game where you could play drunk with a bunch of friends and mock how poo poo it is either.

Imagine a Thief 4 where you play as the girl Garrett adopts at the end of TDS. Garret is your mentor, and basically as present as Atrus was. The plot could revolve around the Hand Brotherhood stepping into the power vacuum left after the Hammers, Pagans, Mechanists and finally Keepers all imploded / were killed off.

You'd check all the fanservice boxes AND get instant review pandering thanks to a strong female protagonist. :allears:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I've played through the prologue and the first level so far on PC. Here are my thoughts:

- This game is super pretty so far. The lighting engine is really good. It was cool to notice that Garrett's eyes take a minute to adjust when you go from a lit to a shadowy area.

- The VA for Garrett isn't any worse than the last guy.

- Guards show some interesting AI. For example, they will notice if you leave a chest open and seek you out.

- NPCs will immediately reignite light sources.

- There is an impressive amount of customization in the game, from a gameplay/HUD and graphics standpoint. Yes the FOV option is there.

- lockpicking is a lot less annoying

- I was running across a shingled roof and kicked something off. It could have been a shingle or maybe there was something else there. Regardless, it made a noise which I'm sure would have been noticed if there were guards in the area

- Turning off all the "helpful" HUD stuff like objective markers, minimap, and focus mode makes this pretty immersive

This game seems fun and good to me so far. I haven't noticed any significant load times or anything, and I've got this installed on a HDD.

I did have SERIOUS slowdown in the first level during a rainstorm, just in a couple locations. The benchmark test showed me getting a solid 35+ FPS on average, so I don't know what could be causing that. I had most of my stuff set on high, and my rig isn't cutting edge, so I bumped shadows and textures down to normal while I'm in rainy levels.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

f#a# posted:

Here you go, a guard conversation about cock rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1KnQrKnOs

This is another time that I'm very happy that Stephen Russell isn't doing any voices for this game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/thief-pc-review/

PCGUK, 79 percent. 'Good but flawed and short of being great'.

Rime might have a heart attack on reading this, so I take no responsibility.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Robot_Rumpus posted:

People here really want to get their hate on. Catastrophically bad would mean it won't start, or horrifically mangles your system in some way. It just seems like anywhere from an average to bad game. If a game is 'catastrophically bad' the reviews aren't what you are claiming, they are hilarious.

What the gently caress sort of standards do you have when the only thing that qualifies as really bad is one that actively destroys your computer in some manner. Are your standards for a bad TV show only ones where you constantly see the boom mike dropping in to view and where the directors commentary plays at random during episodes? Is the only bad movie one where its out of focus the entire time? I just dont understand how people have gotten to the point where a game not only being poo poo but a huge step down from games made over a decade ago is somehow "Mediocre".

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rime posted:

Imagine a Thief 4 where you play as the girl Garrett adopts at the end of TDS. Garret is your mentor, and basically as present as Atrus was. The plot could revolve around the Hand Brotherhood stepping into the power vacuum left after the Hammers, Pagans, Mechanists and finally Keepers all imploded / were killed off.

You'd check all the fanservice boxes AND get instant review pandering thanks to a strong female protagonist. :allears:
From what I gather, it's the gameplay that reviewers hate, not the story. I don't think I could like this game any more if the Hammers et al. made a comeback.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Debating cancelling my preorder on Steam. Anyone know how to actually do that?

I'm really torn and disappointed. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson based on my last two preordered games: MOO3 and DX:IW. Yeah, I've got that kind of luck. :smith:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Stop pre-ordering games, you are obviously cursing them to ruin by doing so. :argh:

Also, you'll have to contact Steam support, but from what I've heard they generally respond pretty quickly for stuff dealing with pre orders.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, it took me less than a day to get my pre-order of Front Mission Evolved refunded last minute, IIRC. Glad I dodged THAT bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

OAquinas posted:

Debating cancelling my preorder on Steam. Anyone know how to actually do that?

I'm really torn and disappointed. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson based on my last two preordered games: MOO3 and DX:IW. Yeah, I've got that kind of luck. :smith:

I still have Sword of the Stars 2 in my Steam library. It's there every time I open Steam, mocking me. Thi4f would, too, but SotS2 taught me that harsh lesson very well.

• Locked thread